Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(03-19-2024, 01:35 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Omax highlights

I am really having trouble evaluating G league.  I have no idea what translates.  The games are high scoring and everyone scores.  I have watched a few games....not in full but small watches.   Omax will have some really nice plays that you see in the highlights, but then he goes like 5 minutes where you don't even notice him on the court.   Then he will get a rebound and take it for the full length of the court and score in an impressive manner.  Then disappear again.  It is weird.  But again, I have no idea how to evaluate these games.
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 08:47 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am really having trouble evaluating G league.  I have no idea what translates.  The games are high scoring and everyone scores.  I have watched a few games....not in full but small watches.   Omax will have some really nice plays that you see in the highlights, but then he goes like 5 minutes where you don't even notice him on the court.   Then he will get a rebound and take it for the full length of the court and score in an impressive manner.  Then disappear again.  It is weird.  But again, I have no idea how to evaluate these games.

Was in G-League or summer league when that French pg guard(people have mentioned his name around here lately as a possible pick up) was scoring like 40 a game and looking decent...

But coulnt hack it in the league.

Thats only one player and a small sample...but kind of puts things in perspective.
Like Reply
A little different topic...

I saw somewhere a mention of DL2 putting on a 3 point shooting display at the combine that generated a lot of buzz. Does anyone remember that? Does he really have 3pt skills. I love the current role he is playing as a 5, but is it possible he could play PF in some future rotation?

Found this on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQjGsEgF0aI
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 10:47 AM)michaeltex Wrote: A little different topic...

I saw somewhere a mention of DL2 putting on a 3 point shooting display at the combine that generated a lot of buzz. Does anyone remember that? Does he really have 3pt skills. I love the current role he is playing as a 5, but is it possible he could play PF in some future rotation?

Found this on YouTube:

You don't want him at PF regardless, but he could become as versatile as Wemby (not as skilled, I know, but still a star player) if he developed a game-usable 3. Kidd probably gave him the red light this year to make sure his confidence stays high. If there's one thing Lively has not been this year, it's as timid as the typical rookie, so Kidd has done quite well with him. I detest Kidd as our coach, but he has done great with Lively this year.
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 10:47 AM)michaeltex Wrote: A little different topic...

Found this on YouTube:

You may see this in time, but I am so glad Lively came into the season and didn't want to show everyone he could shoot threes (The opposite of Mo Bamba).   I would like to see his Free Throw improve first though.

In all honesty though, I know everyone is in on five out spacing and I admit I like to see it to.   But with Lively, I almost prefer him near the rim.   Let defenders make decisions if they want to come to stop Luka or protect the rim.   Lively is there for the dunk or the rebound.   I almost think this is more valuable than him shooting 36 % on 3 threes a game.   Everyone else can spread the floor.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 10:57 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: You don't want him at PF regardless, but he could become as versatile as Wemby (not as skilled, I know, but still a star player) if he developed a game-usable 3. Kidd probably gave him the red light this year to make sure his confidence stays high. If there's one thing Lively has not been this year, it's as timid as the typical rookie, so Kidd has done quite well with him. I detest Kidd as our coach, but he has done great with Lively this year.

I say PF, but I'm thinking just something more than a dunker (although he's filling that role admirably). If he's a distance threat, even if it's just to the foul line, then he could loosen up the middle to the advantage of Luka and Kyrie's creativity.

I'm not being critical. I'm loving the current team vibe and I was ready to give my interest in this season not long ago. IDK how far they will get in the playoffs, but I like the potential of this group more than anything DAL has put together since 2011. My sincerest hope that they keep it together as much as possible so we can start with this base next season.

Core group of:
Luka
Kyrie
DL2
Green
PJW
DJJ
Gafford
Exum
OMax
Hardy

On the bubble:
THJ
Maxi
DP
AJ
Brandon Williams

Adios:
Morris
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 11:36 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I say PF, but I'm thinking just something more than a dunker (although he's filling that role admirably). If he's a distance threat, even if it's just to the foul line, then he could loosen up the middle to the advantage of Luka and Kyrie's creativity.

The value of Lively potentially shooting 3's, in my opinion, isn't to further muck up the works by playing him with another center, it's to give the offense a sense of versatility and unpredictability by creating space inside, not only for Luka and the ball-handlers (in a 5-out sense), but also just so there's room inside for guys like Washington, DJJ, etc. That way, they can play the kind of "in the paint" ball they seem to want to play regardless of what pre-switches the defense employs. Small guy on PJ? No problem, just pull the opposing 5 out to the perimeter (because Lively has become a shooting threat), get PJ the ball in the paint and prosper. 

The best part, however, will come into play as Lively ages, way down the road. Once he stops being able to space vertically on every play, he'll still be a difference maker on defense, at least in a drop-coverage way. Being a threat as a shooter, at that point, will extend his career significantly. See Lopez, Brooke.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Lukedoncic, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 12:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The value of Lively potentially shooting 3's, in my opinion, isn't to further muck up the works by playing him with another center, it's to give the offense a sense of versatility and unpredictability by creating space inside, not only for Luka and the ball-handlers (in a 5-out sense), but also just so there's room inside for guys like Washington, DJJ, etc. That way, they can play the kind of "in the paint" ball they seem to want to play regardless of what pre-switches the defense employs. Small guy on PJ? No problem, just pull the opposing 5 out to the perimeter (because Lively has become a shooting threat), get PJ the ball in the paint and prosper. 

The best part, however, will come into play as Lively ages, way down the road. Once he stops being able to space vertically on every play, he'll still be a difference maker on defense, at least in a drop-coverage way. Being a threat as a shooter, at that point, will extend his career significantly. See Lopez, Brooke.

This was my gut reaction to the conversation, but you articulated it as I was unable to. Brilliantly said!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1770152611661885579

PJ vs GW since the trade.
Like Reply
I would actually prefer for a center like Lively to learn how to play with his back towards the basket while keeping his ability to move the feet on defense. This would prevent opponents to put a wing on him and just switch any PnR action. Basically the thing that makes centers like Gobert a liability in playoffs. I think that would have far more value than him being able to shoot a three decently. Based on his free throw shooting he is quite far away from shooting threes anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Chicagojk
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 03:11 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1770152611661885579

A player going to a team with very little talent vs one going to a team loaded with talent should lead to this outcome.  PJ's slump makes this a little more dramatic than the reality of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 03:11 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1770152611661885579

Mavs Net Rating:

With Grant Williams -3.45
With PJ Washington +8.75
[-] The following 5 users Like MFFL's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 04:17 PM)MFFL Wrote: Mavs Net Rating:

With Grant Williams -3.45
With PJ Washington +8.75

That's all anyone needs to know. Great Stat!

I realize this is disrespectful and I know he's a pro basketball player, but, looking at GW, I always felt like he was the star player in the over-30 rec league.
[-] The following 4 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
(03-19-2024, 11:18 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: You may see this in time, but I am so glad Lively came into the season and didn't want to show everyone he could shoot threes (The opposite of Mo Bamba).   I would like to see his Free Throw improve first though.

In all honesty though, I know everyone is in on five out spacing and I admit I like to see it to.   But with Lively, I almost prefer him near the rim.   Let defenders make decisions if they want to come to stop Luka or protect the rim.   Lively is there for the dunk or the rebound.   I almost think this is more valuable than him shooting 36 % on 3 threes a game.   Everyone else can spread the floor.
I remember a similar video of Willie Cauley-Stein during his first summer with us. And I was similar excited to see him shoot 3s in real games.

End result that season: 1-11 3PT
Like Reply
Over the last 20 games the Mavs have played to a 57 win season pace.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 03:15 AM)WillE Wrote: I remember a similar video of Willie Cauley-Stein during his first summer with us. And I was similar excited to see him shoot 3s in real games.

End result that season: 1-11 3PT

Yeah, I think we would be all surprised how good even fringe NBA players are.   Put most in an open gym and they will hit an impressive amount of open threes in a row.  I remember as a kid seeing Sean Rooks (Former Mav) and he was making threes left handed at a practice I was at.
Like Reply
Put this one in the "unanswered prayers" column?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/spencer-dinwiddie-has-played-himself-out-of-lakers-playoff-rotation/ar-BB1kcF76?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=f69372ec0e13436384d11ced80dd3688&ei=3
Like Reply
https://x.com/kyriemavs/status/1770377128871076296?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

The @dallasmavs starting lineup of :

Kyrie Irving
Luka Doncic
Derrick Jones Jr.
PJ Washington
Daniel Gafford

Has now played 69 minutes together (3rd highest minute total of any Mavs lineup this season)

Offensive Rating : 124.0

Defensive Rating : 98.6 (lowest of any Mavs lineup that’s played more than 20 minutes together this season)

Net Rating : 25.4

I think the Mavs have finally found their starting lineup for the rest of the season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://x.com/coopmavs/status/1770489740623544665?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

If you've wondered where the Mavs would find a third scoring threat, they just may have found it...In their center combo of Lively & Gafford. In 7 games since the lineup change those two have combined for 25.4 pts on 82.6 FG%. Throw in 13.3 rebs and 3.29 Blks just for fun
Like Reply
@GrantAfseth
Kyrie Irving on his third dunk this season: "Did you watch the movie Benjamin Button? What if I'm getting more athletic in my 30s? That would be a heck of a thing, wouldn't it? With no screws in my knee, with no almost bad ankle. It took me a few years to get healthy."

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...3446934814
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply