Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(02-22-2024, 11:32 AM)Luka77 Wrote: I agree but I don't get spin coming from the Brunson camp.  They knew he was going on this podcast and was going to asked this question.  He could have just let it die and said no questions about the Mavs but he choose not too.

The question is why did he want to pick this topic back up?

I kinda just gun-slung when I saw the Brunson topic being discussed.  I havent read the whole thread.

So whats being attacked is him bringing up or harping on the Mavs situation when its in the past and he could just be quiet about it?

Is it a recent podcast that he brought it up again...or the same one from like a year ago?

I guess there might be something there then if he's talking about it.

Can you quickly explain the spin?  I know about the internet magazine interview with Ron and what he said...claiming that Mavs didnt show Brunson love and that Mavs didnt offer something before a certain time and that he put it on the Mavs.   What is Brunson saying compared to this?
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 03:09 AM)Luka77 Wrote: If Brunson truly wanted to be a Mav instead of a Knick why didn't he give the Mavs a chance to match the offer like Nash did?

Were you listening? He did. They did not offer as much or more.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd, omahen
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 11:53 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Were you listening? He did. They did not offer as much or more.

Were you listening? 

No what he said was there was crickets.  He didn't even say where the crickets were from.  Either his camp or the Mavs.  Just crickets ie silence.

The Mavs were hoping they would see an offer to match or beat it but they likely knew they wouldn't bc Brunson was already committed.

Cuban has been on record saying he never saw an offer which I believe is the case due to Bruson loyalty to the Rose's.  He wasn't backing out of the offer the Knicks made to him at any point.

He wanted to be a Knick.
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 11:41 AM)youzigizag Wrote: I kinda just gun-slung when I saw the Brunson topic being discussed.  I havent read the whole thread.

So whats being attacked is him bringing up or harping on the Mavs situation when its in the past and he could just be quiet about it?

Is it a recent podcast that he brought it up again...or the same one from like a year ago?

I guess there might be something there then if he's talking about it.

Can you quickly explain the spin?  I know about the internet magazine interview with Ron and what he said...claiming that Mavs didnt show Brunson love and that Mavs didnt offer something before a certain time and that he put it on the Mavs.   What is Brunson saying compared to this?

Yes, Brunson went on Alll about the Smoke podcast to talk recently to talk about it.

The spin is him stating that he wanted to be a Mav and would have accepted 4/55 million to be a one.
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 12:05 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Were you listening? 

No what he said was there was crickets.  He didn't even say where the crickets were from.  Either his camp or the Mavs.  Just crickets ie silence.

The Mavs were hoping they would see an offer to match or beat it but they likely knew they wouldn't bc Brunson was already committed.

Cuban has been on record saying he never saw an offer which I believe is the case due to Bruson loyalty to the Rose's.  He wasn't backing out of the offer the Knicks made him at any point.

He wanted to be a Knick.

You’re wrong. It was VERY clear from where the crickets were coming, the way he worded it. Very.

Glad you think know what “the Mavs were hoping.” I’m skeptical they were thinking anything, they botched this so badly. 

Cuban’s statement (which I don’t remember, I’m taking your word for it) seems VERY OBVIOUSLY like the spin you suggested Brunson was “crafting.” Almost no room for any other interpretation, from my seat.

Maybe he did prefer NY, but you don’t know that, obviously. And, I don’t care what his preference was. I only care that he 1) ended up in Dallas, 2) Dallas got compensated if he didn’t, or 3) they overtly did everything possible to make either 1 or 2 the result. Waiting to “match” an offer isn’t good enough, because the result that manifested (losing Brunson for NOTHING) was so catastrophic that it shouldn’t have been risked. Once they didn’t move him at the deadline, they had no choice but to put an offer down on day 1 that was at least more than NY could offer (my offer would’ve been the max), and to do that PUBLICLY. They didn’t do that, which told Brunson (and us, if we’re paying attention) anything he needed to know. From his perspective, at that point, F Dallas. I don’t blame him. 

You are homering out. They, the Mavs (he, Cuban?) are 100% responsible for this result. Pro sports is a “get the job done” world. They failed.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, HoosierDaddyKidd, Luka77, omahen, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 12:13 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Yes, Brunson went on Alll about the Smoke podcast to talk recently to talk about it.

The spin is him stating that he wanted to be a Mav and would have accepted 4/55 million to be a one.

Maybe he is bitter and talking about it in a way coming from a "I would have forgone $50M"

Didnt listen to the podcast, so I dont know Jalen's tone....but maybe he is highlighting how risky sports contracts can be for players

4/55 when he is arguably a near max player.   What was his near max allowed limit?  33M per I think it was if designated.   He got 26M at least.   Better than 13.5M Mavs may or may not have offered.
Like Reply
I don’t want to start WW3 over this Brunson thing, but we let them off the hook for that like a WEEK after it happened. It’s ridiculous. Even now, I get the sense people don’t realize how good Brunson is.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKidd, omahen, Smitty, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 12:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t want to start WW3 over this Brunson thing, but we let them off the hook for that like a WEEK after it happened. It’s ridiculous. Even now, I get the sense people don’t realize how good Brunson is.

I do find it funny that there are people who seem to be arguing that he turned down a potential $60 to 70 mil in guaranteed money because he didn't want to negotiate anymore 
Nah, no way. 
They KNEW that the Mavs weren't going to break the bank to keep him
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 12:30 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t want to start WW3 over this Brunson thing, but we let them off the hook for that like a WEEK after it happened. It’s ridiculous. Even now, I get the sense people don’t realize how good Brunson is.

He's having a better season than his replacement, that's for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

I remember the discussions about Brunson and his contract...few knew what to offer and the big deal was size and defense and offering too much would be stupid.   

I got laughed at for suggesting Designating him after he went on a heater a few games.   And that suggestion was during all the heated debates about what to offer him or what his worth was.

You can scrape this board for posters messages...I think I was the only one that suggested Designating him.   Unless its a different player Im thinking about and I remember correctly...most here were saying not to pay him more than 20M.

Im a casual and I knew Brunson's offensive talent his rookie year.  I started on this forum like his 2nd season.   It was all about his size and playoff defense that were scaring people.   No one was about maxing him out here.   I think maybe there was a brief discussion about paying him what he wanted and then deal with offloading him later if it didnt work out.

Swear the general consensus was to not go more than 20M per on him.
[-] The following 2 users Like youzigizag's post:
  • Luka77, RGP1981
Like Reply
Mavs Film Room ?? (@MavsFilmRoom)
PJ: “For me, I mean, I just try to impact the game the best where I can and for one night if it’s shooting, then it will be shooting and defense. But for the most part, I feel like I can defend each and every night. And that just comes with pride and effort.”
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 01:30 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Swear the general consensus was to not go more than 20M per on him.

At which point? 
Before the playoffs? At that point I thought around $20 mil per was reasonable. 
After the Jazz series, I would have been comfortable with a full 5 year/ $175 mil
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 01:19 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: He's having a better season than his replacement, that's for sure.

[Image: Kyrie_and_JB.png?ex=65ea10f4&is=65d79bf4...eight=1016]

Aside from games, Kyrie is basically clearing the board against JB this year. PPG is negligible given that Brunson is the 1st option and lead guard on the Knicks while Kyrie is the 2nd option here. 

Brunson has been really really really good. Better than I ever believed he could realistically achieve. Kyrie is still on another level of player (when he's actually on the court).
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 02:04 PM)Jym Wrote: At which point? 
Before the playoffs? At that point I thought around $20 mil per was reasonable. 
After the Jazz series, I would have been comfortable with a full 5 year/ $175 mil

Before.

It was already too late once Jalen got to Playoffs according to Ron Brunson if I remember correctly.   Mavs didnt show love...Jalen showed out...Mavs had no chance after that.

My post was highlighting that less than 2 people on this board...if even that, other than myself...were suggesting giving Brunson top dollar.   My point is that I dont think many people respected Brunsons game around here based on the 20M offers.

Whats funny about it is...everyone on this board was about being smart and not offering too much for Brunson because of being hunted defensively in Playoffs.  Few were trailblazers saying pay him so he cant leave.  Currently I am being run through the mud on a Cowboys forum for suggesting being smart in managing the Dak Prescott contract.  Yet...the whole board takes opposite stance as me and wants to be a trailblazer in that situation.   SMH lol. Just contradict yourself when it fits your narrative haha
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 02:15 PM)youzigizag Wrote: Before.

It was already too late once Jalen got to Playoffs according to Ron Brunson if I remember correctly.   Mavs didnt show love...Jalen showed out...Mavs had no chance after that.

Ahh so you're one of those who think he would have voluntarily turned down an extra $60 to $70 mil of guaranteed money (if we were wanting to offer that)
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 02:11 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: Kyrie_and_JB.png?ex=65ea10f4&is=65d79bf4...eight=1016]

Aside from games, Kyrie is basically clearing the board against JB this year. PPG is negligible given that Brunson is the 1st option and lead guard on the Knicks while Kyrie is the 2nd option here. 

Brunson has been really really really good. Better than I ever believed he could realistically achieve. Kyrie is still on another level of player (when he's actually on the court).

Disagree. 

No interest in bashing Kyrie, because I’m relatively hapoy with his play (if not the trade to get him). But give me Brunson, and I think the numbers show THAT when you realize that Brunson is the focus of his offense and Kyrie isn’t.
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 12:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You’re wrong. It was VERY clear from where the crickets were coming, the way he worded it. Very.

Glad you think know what “the Mavs were hoping.” I’m skeptical they were thinking anything, they botched this so badly. 

Cuban’s statement (which I don’t remember, I’m taking your word for it) seems VERY OBVIOUSLY like the spin you suggested Brunson was “crafting.” Almost no room for any other interpretation, from my seat.

Maybe he did prefer NY, but you don’t know that, obviously. And, I don’t care what his preference was. I only care that he 1) ended up in Dallas, 2) Dallas got compensated if he didn’t, or 3) they overtly did everything possible to make either 1 or 2 the result. Waiting to “match” an offer isn’t good enough, because the result that manifested (losing Brunson for NOTHING) was so catastrophic that it shouldn’t have been risked. Once they didn’t move him at the deadline, they had no choice but to put an offer down on day 1 that was at least more than NY could offer (my offer would’ve been the max), and to that PUBLICLY. They didn’t do that, which told Brunson (and us, if we’re paying attention) anything he needed to know. From his perspective, at that point, F Dallas. I don’t blame him. 

You are homering out. They, the Mavs (he, Cuban?) are 100% responsible for this result. Pro sports is a “get the job done” world. They failed.

So would you have been happy with the return that the Knicks were offering in return for Brunson SNT (a bunch of crap salary matches and no draft compensation)?

That is the tokenism that the Rose's were offering in Return for developing him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 05:14 PM)Luka77 Wrote: So would you have been happy with the return that the Knicks were offering in return for Brunson SNT (a bunch of crap salary matches and no draft compensation)?

“Happy” is a relative term. 

Not as happy as I’d have been if Cuban would’ve ponied up the max and convinced him to stay, but happier than I am knowing he left for nothing. 

For a while, the point was made that the Western Conference Finals run experience was worth more for the team than what they would have gotten in trade at the deadline, even if they knew Brunson was leaving. I can see the logic, but at this point the team is so different than it was then that I am not sure the experience really carries over.

If, as you seem convinced, there was no keeping Brunson by the middle of that year (I honestly believe a max offer would have done it, but don’t know definitively), then YES, I move him at the deadline for whatever the best offer out there was.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 05:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: “Happy” is a relative term. 

Not as happy as I’d have been if Cuban would’ve ponied up the max and convinced him to stay, but happier than I am knowing he left for nothing. 

For a while, the point was made that the Western Conference Finals run experience was worth more for the team than what they would have gotten in trade at the deadline, even if they knew Brunson was leaving. I can see the logic, but at this point the team is so different than it was then that I am not sure the experience really carries over.

If, as you seem convinced, there was no keeping Brunson by the middle of that year (I honestly believe a max offer would have done it, but don’t know definitively), then YES, I move him at the deadline for whatever the best offer out there was.

That's were you and I will disagree.  Cuban wasn't convincing Jalen to stay regardless of how much he offered him.  He has and would always would have more security with people he trust and knows.  Brunson was never going to be the face of the Mavs franchise like every NBA player wants but few can achieve.

The Knicks for better or worse have tied thier wagon to Brunson.  AS long as Leon is there he won't be traded or leave NYC.  The Mavs would never offer him that opportunity.

IMO he not a franchise player.  A good complimentary player (not great), second piece but nothing more.

Moreover, The Knicks have one more card to be played and that's going all in with the draft capital they have been collecting.  

And watch that next move will be about making Brunson a number two and the franchise player.  Lets see how that works out for them and him.  There can be only one Batman and IMO Brunson is a more Robin than Batman.

Also the conference finals was more important to Luka's development than the rest of the team.  That team was always going to need dismantling or replacing for younger timeline matching pieces for a long contending run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • RGP1981
Like Reply
~walking into the thread to make a comment about this current Mavs team~

~seeing "MAVS NEWS" has devolved into a heated extensive ongoing argument over Brunson contract 2 years ago~

~backing away from the thread until some other time~
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply