Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
Even after hearing the entire timeline, right from the horse’s mouth, there are still deniers.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 06:45 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Even after hearing the entire timeline, right from the horse’s mouth, there are still deniers.

The timeline is a crafted PR spin.  Brunson wants to maintain the image of the "good guy" saying he wanted to be in all along Dallas instead of just coming out and saying he wanted more money, bigger role and to be in NYC. 

Brunson was basically scheduled to NYC as soon as Rose (his Godfather) was hired.
Like Reply
I don't think Brunson is necessarily lying about being willing to sign an extension during the season. It's hard to pass up a life-changing amount of money. But I definitely don't buy the idea that the Knicks were a last minute change of plans. There's no doubt he was considering them the entire way. I would even guess that the idea of a non-guaranteed 4th year (sidestepping restricted free agency) probably originated from his camp.
[-] The following 1 user Likes loki's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 07:00 PM)Luka77 Wrote: The timeline is a crafted PR spin.  Brunson wants to maintain the image of the "good guy" saying he wanted to be in all along Dallas instead of just coming out and saying he wanted more money, bigger role and to be in NYC. 

Brunson was basically scheduled to NYC as soon as Rose (his Godfather) was hired.

Nah, man. That doesn’t make any sense to me at all. It makes much less sense for Brunson, the guy who bet on himself, won, and is now in a way better position than he ever would have been in Dallas, to “craft” anything for Dallas fans/media. More likely that he doesn’t even think about it until he is asked.

Cuban, on the other hand, has been known to “craft” narratives for the reasons you mention, and stick to them for years after it’s obvious to everyone he got owned. Happened with Nash, drafting Giannis, etc. Hell, he might still be trying to pretend Tyson Chandler left Dallas for New York, as if the one-year offer he made was legitimate.

If, at this point, you are still arguing that the Mavericks did not drop the ball on the Brunson situation, you’re just not wanting to see it. The reality is that they drafted him, they didn’t believe in him, they let him get away, and now, New York is literally a better team than the Mavericks. Not by much, and maybe not for long, but they were nowhere close to the Mavericks the summer before he left.

Winner: Brunson. Loser: Mavericks. Everything else is just a semantic, pointless debate.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, From Dirk to Luka, omahen, Scott41theMavs, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 07:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nah, man. That doesn’t make any sense to me at all. It makes much less sense for Brunson, the guy who bet on himself, won, and is now in a way better position than he ever would have been in Dallas, to “craft” anything for Dallas fans/media. More likely that he doesn’t even think about it until he is asked.

Cuban, on the other hand, has been known to “craft” narratives for the reasons you mention, and stick to them for years after it’s obvious to everyone he got owned. Happened with Nash, drafting Giannis, etc. Hell, he might still be trying to pretend Tyson Chandler left Dallas for New York, as if the one-year offer he made was legitimate.

If, at this point, you are still arguing that the Mavericks did not drop the ball on the Brunson situation, you’re just not wanting to see it. The reality is that they drafted him, they didn’t believe in him, they let him get away, and now, New York is literally a better team than the Mavericks. Not by much, and maybe not for long, but they were nowhere close to the Mavericks the summer before he left.

Winner: Brunson. Loser: Mavericks. Everything else is just a semantic, pointless debate.

I'm thinking even if we would have signed Brunson for 4/55, he would have still ended up in NY.  Just Brooklyn instead of Manhattan.  So yes, it is now a moot point.
Like Reply
A week or so before Brunson signed w/NY:

"06-26-2022, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2022, 02:49 PM by BoredAssistant.)
23 + 24.15 + 25.357 + 26.625 + 27.956 = 127,088

5/$127,088,000

Didn't someone say earlier that the cap is expected to rise by '24? Bertans and Dinwiddie off the books by conclusion of '24 or expiring or close to it. Dwight resigned for 3.5 so he's no longer a nuisance to frustrated fans. Brunson puts up way more shots from everywhere during regular season like he should have done last year. Like someone else said, if Knicks perform below expectations, coach and FO gone. You're all welcome."

It was silly of me to just x 1.05 every year with a random starting point(?) but good intentions were there and this was just to open negotiations. We all knew he was worth it and I refuse to believe otherwise.
[-] The following 2 users Like BoredAssistant's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 07:47 PM)chaparral Wrote: I'm thinking even if we would have signed Brunson for 4/55, he would have still ended up in NY.  Just Brooklyn instead of Manhattan.  So yes, it is now a moot point.

Maybe. I’d rather have Brunson than Irving, so I’d hope not, but we’ll never know.
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 05:26 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I think Brunson wanted to be the lead dog and that was never going to happen with Luka in Dallas.

Jalen showed his ability to lead a team when he carried them through the first few playoff games against Utah. In my mind, that closed the door on any chance he would return as 2nd banana. With the collusion going on between his dad and the NYKs, he knew where he was going as soon as the season ended after GSW won the WCC.

I'm sure OKC felt the same way about Harden leaving for HOU.

If I were Brunson in the same situation, I would have left as well.  I still resent Cuban though for not making him a generous offer.  It was still a huge fail.  

I also didn't expect Brunson would be this awesome leading a team.  I thought he was good but not top-15 in the NBA good.  We all make mistakes.  

Kyrie is more fun to watch than Brunson though.  I'm glad we have Kyrie.  I'm also glad Mark Cuban is no longer our majority owner.  It's been a really great 12 months for the Mavericks.  

Also, there will actually be NBA basketball tomorrow so things just keep looking up.
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 07:24 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Nah, man. That doesn’t make any sense to me at all. It makes much less sense for Brunson, the guy who bet on himself, won, and is now in a way better position than he ever would have been in Dallas, to “craft” anything for Dallas fans/media. More likely that he doesn’t even think about it until he is asked.

Brunson did bet on himself.  But this spin on the video of him saying he didn't is a lie.  Also what better situation did Brunson put himself in?  Winning?  He went to the conference finals in Dallas with Luka.  Let me know when that happens as a Knick.

Look, Iam not a Cuban Homer and believe critism of him is definitely deserved and warranted (esp. In cases of undervaluing the draft).  But in this situation I think Cuban is less to blame due to too many conflating factors.  

Moreover, I don't know if the Mavs didn't believe in Brunson or more they didnt believe in the Brunson Luka pairing.  Seeing the effect of having defenders surrounding Dirk likely had a profound impact on Cuban.  When it comes to winning chamionships having one mediocre to non defender on the court is difficult enough than having two.

If Kyrie was younger to match Lukas timeline, I doubt anyone on this board would have a problem upgrading to Kyrie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 08:28 PM)Luka77 Wrote: Brunson did bet on himself.  But this spin on the video of him saying he didn't is a lie.  Also what better situation did Brunson put himself in?  Winning?  He went to the conference finals in Dallas with Luka.  Let me know when that happens as a Knick.

Look, Iam not a Cuban Homer and believe critism of him is definitely deserved and warranted (esp. In cases of undervaluing the draft).  But in this situation I think Cuban is less to blame due to too many conflating factors.  

Moreover, I don't know if the Mavs didn't believe in Brunson or more they didnt believe in the Brunson Luka pairing.  Seeing the effect of having defenders surrounding Dirk likely had a profound impact on Cuban.  When it comes to winning chamionships having one mediocre to non defender on the court is difficult enough than having two.

If Kyrie was younger to match Lukas timeline, I doubt anyone on this board would have a problem upgrading to Kyrie.

OK. . Cuban's pennypinching cost us Nash and Brunson, but let's just move on.  We've known Cuban to be a dumbass for years. . a nice dumbass, but a dumbass.
Like Reply
I was not a believer in the Luka-Brunson pairing, too weak defensively. So I didn't care then and don't care now that Brunson is gone. I only care that nothing was gotten back by trading him elsewhere earlier. I'm happier that the Mavs have Kyrie than Brunson, and I'd be happier still if the Mavs had Dejounte than Brunson.

The Rest of Diana, by Jacob Jordaens, 1645-55.

[Image: GE5d9eCXQAAubjA?format=jpg&name=small]
[-] The following 1 user Likes RGP1981's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
[Image: GG55adwXIAAAXoi?format=webp&width=545&height=675]

Keeping with works of art. Here is: Live in Life c.2024 

(peep Josh Green terrified from the sheer force)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
If Brunson truly wanted to be a Mav instead of a Knick why didn't he give the Mavs a chance to match the offer like Nash did?
[-] The following 2 users Like Luka77's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, MFFL
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 03:09 AM)Luka77 Wrote: If Brunson truly wanted to be a Mav instead of a Knick why didn't he give the Mavs a chance to match the offer like Nash did?

We did show him time and time again how expendable he was 
I'm sure at that point it would have taken a noticeably larger offer and not just a match to get him to come back
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • WillE
Like Reply
Incredibly to me that people still give Mavs-moron-in-chief Cuban any benefit of the doubt whatsoever
[-] The following 3 users Like Branduil's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKidd, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheGarciaKidd_/statu...5799628264

The great Allen Iverson on Luka..
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
That's nice praise and I love how reluctant AI was to go the "racist"-way, lol.
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 03:20 AM)Jym Wrote: We did show him time and time again how expendable he was 
I'm sure at that point it would have taken a noticeably larger offer and not just a match to get him to come back

So Brunson was in his feelings bc Rick wanted 6'5 Haliburton instead 6'0 Brunson.  Everyone in the NBA, except Leon, would have made that trade or offered.  

Moreover, Brunson didn't even bring the offer he got to the table to negotiate a better one.  He was locked into the security that playing with Knicks provided him.

Which is fine if that's what he wanted but then just come out and say that. None of this I really wanted Dallas but...

No he wanted the place he felt the most secure which was with his Godfather as a Knick.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I dont get the Brunson stuff.

I just assume his family and camp had a plan for a while. Maybe even the Mavs new of the plan and didnt attempt to retain Brunson for fear of size issues in Playoffs...but most importantly that his camp had a plan that Mavs couldnt compete with.

I get that the above flies in the face of asset management in Sports. But what could you do in the above situation? Brunson's contract was allowing him to be a free agent, Brunson's value around the league was tricky to pin-point and I assume Mavs were reluctant to offer top dollar due to defense.

With a Godfather as a high up NBA team official, a dad as an ex-NBA player and coach...I just dont buy that Jalen wasnt planning on going to New York all along unless Mav's offered near Max. The New York situation is like Fairy-tale, Dream Come True type scenario for a player.

The rookie contract was signed and Mavs had no control. Jalen's value was skyrocketing. Mavs had reservations about Brunsons size maybe. Brunson's camp had a plan.

I dont get what the big deal is unless something factual comes out that Brunson's camp didnt have a plan and Mavs dropped the ball on negotiations. Seems like Mavs were in a situation where they had to offer near Max or Max or no deal from Brunson. I dont think Mavs could have been kind enough to Brunson during his tenure to get him to stay with what was available in New York. I dont think there was a possible way to make him feel wanted enough for what was available in New York...except maybe Max Money. And I still think he chooses New York.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
(02-22-2024, 10:38 AM)youzigizag Wrote: I dont get the Brunson stuff.

I just assume his family and camp had a plan for a while.  Maybe even the Mavs new of the plan and didnt attempt to retain Brunson for fear of size issues in Playoffs...but most importantly that his camp had a plan that Mavs couldnt compete with.

I get that the above flies in the face of asset management in Sports.  But what could you do in the above situation?  Brunson's contract was allowing him to be a free agent, Brunson's value around the league was tricky to pin-point and I assume Mavs were reluctant to offer top dollar due to defense.

With a Godfather as a high up NBA team official, a dad as an ex-NBA player and coach...I just dont buy that Jalen wasnt planning on going to New York all along unless Mav's offered near Max.  The New York situation is like Fairy-tale, Dream Come True type scenario for a player.

The rookie contract was signed and Mavs had no control.  Jalen's value was skyrocketing.  Mavs had reservations about Brunsons size maybe.  Brunson's camp had a plan.

I dont get what the big deal is unless something factual comes out that Brunson's camp didnt have a plan and Mavs dropped the ball on negotiations.  Seems like Mavs were in a situation where they had to offer near Max or Max or no deal from Brunson.  I dont think Mavs could have been kind enough to Brunson during his tenure to get him to stay with what was available in New York.  I dont think there was a possible way to make him feel wanted enough for what was available in New York...except maybe Max Money.  And I still think he chooses New York.

I agree but I don't get spin coming from the Brunson camp.  They knew he was going on this podcast and was going to be asked this question.  He could have just let it die and said no questions about the Mavs but he chose not too.

The question is why did he want to pick this topic back up?
Like Reply