Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(02-20-2024, 11:45 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Behind a wall. Where are the Mavs?

Here ya go…

“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
Like Reply
(02-20-2024, 10:31 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: A bunch of Gafford blocks this year.

Maybe we find out he has trouble guarding in space but these are impressive.  Not only will players need to account for a shot blocker at the rim by either Lively or Gafford and that can be impactful. But a lot of these lead to fast break opportunities.  So you erase a basket on your end and maybe get an easy basket on the other end.  Those can add up.  Could be the difference in a one score game.

https://x.com/mavsfilmroom/status/175975...38456?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Gafford is really odd. He doesn't have bursts of speed and can't really keep up on the perimeter. But within the paint he can move so well laterally and keep guys in front of him. His timing for blocks is his greatest attribute. Sometimes he chases the block, but most of the time he times it so well that his teammates can recover the loose ball. 

All I know is I want to see WAY more of a Luka+Gafford PnR!
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Jason Kidd mentioned Dante Exum hasn't suffered a setback and could return during the upcoming four-game road trip: "No setback. He's been working out. He'll practice tomorrow, non-contact. I think the plan is for somewhere on that road trip to get him back."

https://x.com/townbrad/status/1760068471717511230?s=46&t=JCZO73vrym-K0Hu3J5z54Q

[Image: 1760011488226394389_0.jpg?ex=65e78ae2&is...eight=1016]

NBA University (@NBA_University)
Most Alley-Oops Finished in ‘23-‘24

What stands out?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 02:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)
Jason Kidd mentioned Dante Exum hasn't suffered a setback and could return during the upcoming four-game road trip: "No setback. He's been working out. He'll practice tomorrow, non-contact. I think the plan is for somewhere on that road trip to get him back."

What stands out?

That we are the only team with two players on the list? (are we, lol?)
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 02:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Grant Afseth (@GrantAfseth)

What stands out?

Arent the John Collins numbers why there are a bunch of stupid debates online between analytics posters and eye test posters.

Seems like analytics guys would pull for acquiring Collins because of the lob percentages and how that fits with Luka's game so well.   

Yet...we have been trying to trade THJ for a while.   

Just seems like fit and numbers aint a perfect fit always.

Some will say that we are looking for defenders or two way guys now.   Isnt that what eye test guys have been screaming for in regards to THJ?  Give us a guy with a few point less 3 percentage for someone who isnt a ball hog and can play defense better.

Something doesnt add up.
Like Reply
Disappointing Exum did not practice yesterday. Kidd says he will practice in non contact today and may be back sometime during the road trip. I was secretly hoping he could have played prior to the break but they gave him extra time just to be safe. It makes me wonder if we should sign a veteran guard in case we have an injury or two. We still don't have many guys who can run an offense.
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 09:57 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Arent the John Collins numbers why there are a bunch of stupid debates online between analytics posters and eye test posters.

Seems like analytics guys would pull for acquiring Collins because of the lob percentages and how that fits with Luka's game so well.   

Some will say that we are looking for defenders or two way guys now.   Isnt that what eye test guys have been screaming for in regards to THJ?  Give us a guy with a few point less 3 percentage for someone who isnt a ball hog and can play defense better.

Something doesnt add up.

I wonder how these numbers are affected by teammates and system.

For example, how would Lively’s numbers look if he were playing in Miami? Or Boston?

On the flip side, how much will Gafford’s numbers improve playing with Luka as opposed to Jordan Poole?
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 10:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Disappointing Exum did not practice yesterday.  Kidd says he will practice in non contact today and may be back sometime during the road trip.  I was secretly hoping he could have played prior to the break but they gave him extra time just to be safe.  It makes me wonder if we should sign a veteran guard in case we have an injury or two.  We still don't have many guys who can run an offense.

I agree on Exum and his injury history being a real issue. Without him you have to have both Luka and Kyrie healthy. If one of them is out you’re asking Green and/or Hardy to run the offense when the lone healthy superstar is off the court.

Crazy to think a minimum guy would be so important for this team but the injury bug hasn’t been kind to the Mavs this year. Hardy’s recent play gives some hope but he’s definitely not a PG.
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 10:08 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Disappointing Exum did not practice yesterday.  Kidd says he will practice in non contact today and may be back sometime during the road trip.  I was secretly hoping he could have played prior to the break but they gave him extra time just to be safe.  It makes me wonder if we should sign a veteran guard in case we have an injury or two.  We still don't have many guys who can run an offense.

Of course we should sign another PG to backup Luka and Kyrie.  Kilian Hayes is the best option as there is some potential for growth there.  

George Hill and Ish Smith are also available.  I'd be concerned that Kidd would play them over Hardy though even in the event that we don't have further injuries.  

Not sure if it would be feasible to bring over a PG from Europe this time of year.  That would also seem like a reasonable choice.
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 09:57 AM)youzigizag Wrote: Arent the John Collins numbers why there are a bunch of stupid debates online between analytics posters and eye test posters.

Something doesnt add up.

The thing that doesn't add up is:
THJ is a SG and we played him as a PF and then said, look he is bad.
And now we(some) are looking for a SF but Luka is our SF.
So we will play a SF as SG and say look he is bad.
Like Reply
(02-20-2024, 08:48 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Gotta prepare for the luxury tax.
Mark couldn’t figure that out 10 years ago?
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 01:27 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Mark couldn’t figure that out 10 years ago?

Yes.

He’s been giving you a discount for 10 years.
Like Reply
Probably don't need to bring this up again....but

https://twitter.com/allthesmokeprod/stat...5395997167
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 03:13 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Probably don't need to bring this up again....but

We should NEVER forget. Thanks for posting this.
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 03:13 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Probably don't need to bring this up again....but

So they were just planning on trading him all along and couldn't find a partner...

I get not offering it after the Clippers' series where he got benched but 55/4 after he had played well early in the season is a reasonable deal for any rotation player so they're stupid not to offer it and clearly just failed trying to trade him.  Just another example of not understanding how to recognize and develop talent when you got it.  I'm honestly surprised that he was willing to do it during the season, I thought he had already outplayed that number well before the trade deadline.
[-] The following 5 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, khaled1987, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 03:19 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: We should NEVER forget. Thanks for posting this.

NP.  Heck, I am way more wrong than right, but I was right here.   It is funny/sad hearing Jalen say some of the things I said that offseason.  Offer him the full amount for 4 years.  Maybe he turns it down.  But at the time he was a guy who if he got hurt may have lost a lot of that money.   You had leverage with giving him security on your side.   That should have been a quick conversation.  Sure, you would not have been able to trade him, but ouch.

To hear Jalen say he would have signed during the season is also painful.   Mavs should have known if they offered after the deadline that he was going to wait.  The security he was looking for in the offseason was almost gone.  

Also pretty bad how he calls out Mark for saying they could pay him the most and Jalen feeling that didn't have much truth to it.  He was probably leaning to NY by then, But I wonder if the Mavs went hard at him with an open checkbook if Jalen would have stayed.  Most at the time, would have thought that was an overpayment (probably me too), but he has proven to be worth it.  

Anyway, I like this Mavs team but that was such a blunder all the way around.

And to think we had that big cry baby session from Mark last year blaming Jalen's dad. The sooner we get Mark out of these relationship and roster decisions, the better. Not sure if that is in the cards though. Nico deserves blame too, but I think this was a Cuban directed approach. Could be wrong.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-21-2024, 03:20 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: So they were just planning on trading him all along and couldn't find a partner...

I get not offering it after the Clippers' series where he got benched but 55/4 after he had played well early in the season is a reasonable deal for any rotation player so they're stupid not to offer it and clearly just failed trying to trade him.  Just another example of not understanding how to recognize and develop talent when you got it.  I'm honestly surprised that he was willing to do it during the season, I thought he had already outplayed that number well before the trade deadline.

It’s just hilarious that they didn’t offer him more than NY could right as free agency started. I mean, a lot of FANS thought that type of financial commitment was a foolish idea because of his skills overlap with Luka, and while I can see that POV, it’s obvious that the MAVS didn’t think so because the very first order of business that next season was paying for his replacement in Kyrie Irving. 

Basically, after just watching Brunson be a huge driving force for the team’s huge playoff success, including carrying the team while Luka was out and helping to close other big games with Luka on the floor, Cuban didn’t think he was good enough. It wasn’t the “bad UFA situation inherited because Donnie gave him the wrong rookie deal” that we talked to death around here. That didn’t help, but the real problem was that they, the team who drafted Brunson, did not think he was worth paying the kind of money he got from NY. He was, and is a bargain, in fact. 

I’m honestly not sure Kyrie is better than Brunson. I don’t think he is, personally, especially when availability and the detour time of learning how to play with Luka (JB already knew how) are factored in. So, basically, they paid a higher contract, DFS, Dinwiddie and an UNPROTECTED pick for AFTER Irving will have retired to replace their own homegrown guy who’s better now and still improving. 

Again, we must NEVER forget. Between this CF and the Porzingis failure, it’s like they’re trying to build a contender around Luka with both hands tied behind their backs.

I never went quite as SCORCHED EARTH as I promised after that summer.

Two weeks after he left we had people saying to get over it already.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, omahen
Like Reply
Brunson was the one that got away, but if I could get over Mark letting Nash walk (which to be honest I'm still not quite over), I can get over Brunson.

I don't think Brunson would be quite the same guy as he is today if he stayed. Certainly not an all-star. But he would've been a great fit and the team wouldn't have had a lost season.

A happy Kyrie is a better player though. Riskier, but better. I can almost guarantee we would've sent him in that deal too instead of a first or DFS. Therefore I think the Mavs and Brunson marriage was never meant to last. It just broke up 6 months earlier than expected.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
I think Brunson wanted to be the lead dog and that was never going to happen with Luka in Dallas.

Jalen showed his ability to lead a team when he carried them through the first few playoff games against Utah. In my mind, that closed the door on any chance he would return as 2nd banana. With the collusion going on between his dad and the NYKs, he knew where he was going as soon as the season ended after GSW won the WCC.

I'm sure OKC felt the same way about Harden leaving for HOU.
[-] The following 5 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, Luka77, MFFL, surfpuckmd
Like Reply

Sorry, but I'm not buying what Jalen is selling.  So he didn't want to gamble on himself and then says if an extention doesn't happen before the season it has to wait until after the season?  That doesn't make any sense at all.  Then he waits until 25 games into the season and says he is ready to sign the extention only to be told no?  I'm not buying.

His agent is Leon's son who was desperate to find talent and a PG for the Knicks.  He was pushing behind the scene for him not to sign the extention and wait for the Knicks offer and chance for a bigger role.

As far as Iam concerned Brunson should get the Porzingis returning to NYC treatment every time he returns to play in Dallas.  But for some reason we don't have the vitriol for that sort of thing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luka77's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply