Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(10-18-2023, 05:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bayern Munich is a bigger team maybe football wise, but their basketball team? Fat chance. If Cuban went to their owner and said here is a check for 20% of your yearly budget for your head coach you'd think they'd turn that down? 

I mean who knows. This is all speculation and doesn't matter. I'm sitting here arguing that Cuban would willingly write a check to make his team better in the short term... as if that'd happen!

Alfredo or marinara?

I think you are vastly underestimating European sports clubs in general. 
Bayern Munich is a wealthy club which takes pride in not being sellers but buyers. They won't put their season on the line by selling their newly acquired star basketball coach midseason for a few million dollars. It's just not that kind of club. Their volume 2022 was 665 million Euro and their capital resources are about 504 million Euro. (Although I don't know if that is just the football department or the whole club.) For comparison: The Mavs volume 2021 was 231 million dollars, rougly one third of Bayern Munich's. (sources: google)

Furthermore, my guess is that Pablo Laso wouldn't request to leave Bayern Munich just after signing a new contract with them. This is basically never happening in European sports. Big Grin Bayern Munich will never do that, especially because they probably won't have a quick solution for a new coach to replace Laso with. However...maybe they would consider a coaching swap: J Kidd for Laso. Big Grin

I hope this adds some clarity to the discussion. Wink

Edit: Bayern Munich's basketball department works with less money, of course. However due to being part of the whole club they don't have to rely on much money coming in via selling players or coaches I would guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Time Machine Dirk's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
30 minute interview with Lively on take dat wit you podcast. Very mature kid.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL
Like Reply
One week away from the season opener,
Jason Kidd still hasnt talked to Tim Hardaway Jr. about his role…

https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...1251708928
Like Reply
So headband Luka...thumbs up or thumbs down?
Like Reply
Just wondering about the possibly of both Lively and Green being on the bench to start game 1
Chance I might just have to Kammrath on out of here if so
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Is anyone actually excited for this season? This is the most apathetic I've been to a Mavs season since I can remember. We're a .500 team at best with a nutty and terrible coach and a big talent drop off after 1 and 2.
[-] The following 2 users Like Moviemavguy's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Bringing in Terry Stotts now that he's available would make me feel 1000x better about the current state of the Mavs.

Pipedream though and I fully expect him to go to Indiana to reunite with Carlisle.
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 06:53 AM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: I think you are vastly underestimating European sports clubs in general. 
Bayern Munich is a wealthy club which takes pride in not being sellers but buyers. They won't put their season on the line by selling their newly acquired star basketball coach midseason for a few million dollars. It's just not that kind of club. Their volume 2022 was 665 million Euro and their capital resources are about 504 million Euro. (Although I don't know if that is just the football department or the whole club.) For comparison: The Mavs volume 2021 was 231 million dollars, rougly one third of Bayern Munich's. (sources: google)

Furthermore, my guess is that Pablo Laso wouldn't request to leave Bayern Munich just after signing a new contract with them. This is basically never happening in European sports. Big Grin Bayern Munich will never do that, especially because they probably won't have a quick solution for a new coach to replace Laso with. However...maybe they would consider a coaching swap: J Kidd for Laso. Big Grin

I hope this adds some clarity to the discussion. Wink

Edit: Bayern Munich's basketball department works with less money, of course. However due to being part of the whole club they don't have to rely on much money coming in via selling players or coaches I would guess.
On point.
Bayern München Basketball will not let Laso go only because of money.

They want to win and are one of the best operated sports organization from a financial perspective. If they let him go, then only because they believe he won't work out as hoped for.

At this point, there is not even the option that they would replace him with someone they like better, because it's just way too early for this and more importantantly: who would this be?

And even if: Mavs would have to pay a real premium to get them to let him go. That's how they operate. The only exception was just recently for Julian Nagelsmann, for whom they didn't ask any money even they payed 25 million € to get him, because he moved on to the DFB (german football association).
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 06:53 AM)Time Machine Dirk Wrote: It's just not that kind of club. Their volume 2022 was 665 million Euro and their capital resources are about 504 million Euro. (Although I don't know if that is just the football department or the whole club.) For comparison: The Mavs volume 2021 was 231 million dollars, rougly one third of Bayern Munich's. (sources: google)

From my googling, in 2019-20 FC Bayern Munich basketball club's entire budget was 19 million Eur. In 2021 it was 23 million Eur. Lets be generous and say they are operating on a 27 million Eur budget in 2023, the Mavs basketball team still dwarfs that. 

Bayern Munich the football club is well renowned and of course has the funds. The basketball team appears to be a small sect of that and in comparison a footnote to the real money maker. This hypothetical is as if a Spanish team came to the Mavs and offered them 5 million for the Texas Legends head coach. Sure the Mavs don't need the money, but it'd be imprudent not to capitalize and fund the entire G-League team for a year off 1 transaction.

I said before, it's speculation. I'm assuming Cuban would actually try and spend some money to improve the team, which history says that is unlikely. And of course it's unheard of for a coach to up and leave a program after just being signed. 

Again the real meat and potatoes to me from that rumor was that it was Luka who offered up Laso as a potential replacement, meaning he doesn't really care for Kidd all that much. THAT is what is giving me life. I hope I clarified my position well enough. Everything else was a fun thought experiment.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(10-18-2023, 05:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bayern Munich is a bigger team maybe football wise, but their basketball team? Fat chance. If Cuban went to their owner and said here is a check for 20% of your yearly budget for your head coach you'd think they'd turn that down? 

They don't have an owner though.
German clubs are fan owned, with investors allowed to buy up to 49% at most.
In Bayern case, they sold 24.9 for 3 partners: Allianz, Adidas, Audi. 
Fan owned clubs usually care less about finances tbf, if they want him to stay, he stays.
With that being said, an opportunity like that comes once in life and if Mavs hypothetically really wanted him, Bayern might understand and allow him to go.
But tbh, I can't see us doing it
Like Reply
Mav’s have signed C Tony Bradley.  PR doesn’t specify what type of contract.  He’s not eligible for a 2-way.  So, it is either for the big club or the affiliate.  If the big club, someone is cut or there is a 2-for-1 trade coming.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • MFFL, sterlingmallory
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 04:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I said before, it's speculation. I'm assuming Cuban would actually try and spend some money to improve the team, which history says that is unlikely. And of course it's unheard of for a coach to up and leave a program after just being signed. 

Kokoskov actually left for Dallas just a couple of months after he signed with Fenerbahce. The club build the team according to his vision, but he prefered to return to NBA, before they even played their first regular game. Still, I don't buy much about Pablo Laso rumor. The rumor appeared once a season or so ago, but it was proven untrue at that point.
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 06:25 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Mav’s have signed C Tony Bradley.  PR doesn’t specify what type of contract.  He’s not eligible for a 2-way.  So, it is either for the big club or the affiliate.  If the big club, someone is cut or there is a 2-for-1 trade coming.

Interesting. I hope it is either for the affiliate or the trade is coming. Signing him instead of even Morris doesn't make a lot of sense, as he is not better than current Mavs centers and they have plenty of centers as it is.
Like Reply
Kidd is so bad with handling the media. How many teams can't (refuse to) name two of their starters a week before the season start? And if there are any, they are certainly not trying to compete. If Kidd actually knows who the starters will be, this is just a silly mind game he is playing. I don't see any benefit for anyone doing this.

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1715...wcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fdallas-mavericks

I really have no idea how G-league works regarding eligbility, but according to him Bradley can't play in G-league either

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...7974705434
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Interesting twit from JRich

https://twitter.com/J_Rich1/status/1715102852819874172
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 06:54 PM)omahen Wrote: Interesting. I hope it is either for the affiliate or the trade is coming. Signing him instead of even Morris doesn't make a lot of sense, as he is not better than current Mavs centers and they have plenty of centers as it is.

There are recent reports that GSW had interest in Bradley.  So, maybe this is for the big club.  I tend to agree that Morris is probably better than Bradley.  But, if you trade out Holmes + someone, I can see wanting a deep bench big.
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 07:02 PM)omahen Wrote: Interesting twit from JRich

https://twitter.com/J_Rich1/status/1715102852819874172
Makes one think. Delon was ushered out pretty quickly too. What is making the stop in Dallas basically their worst stop?
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 07:12 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Makes one think. Delon was ushered out pretty quickly too. What is making the stop in Dallas basically their worst stop?

Maybe it was with Rick Carlisle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
Bradley was drafted by Dennis Lindsey too. Still pretty young. Just has never proven to be more than an end of a bench player.

This needs to be a G-league spot. Not a two way. Justin Jackson was in the same draft and he has played in the G league. Funny Bradley played on the same team as Theo Pinson at UNC. Justin Jackson was on that team too.

Bradley isn’t a guy you sign before a trade. I would not expect much with this. But who knows.
Like Reply
(10-19-2023, 08:29 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Bradley was drafted by Dennis Lindsey too.  Still pretty young.  Just has never proven to be more than an end of a bench player.

This needs to be a G-league spot.  Not a two way.  Justin Jackson was in the same draft and he has played in the G league.  Funny Bradley played on the same team as Theo Pinson at UNC.  Justin Jackson was on that team too. 

Bradley isn’t a guy you sign before a trade.  I would not expect much with this.  But who knows.

That makes sense.  My only thought about it being for the Mav’s was the reported interest from Golden State.
Like Reply