Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(07-30-2023, 11:25 AM)loki Wrote: Cuban seemed willing to pay the tax for Thybulle. 

I agree, it looks that way. Very possible. 

Then again, maybe they had a "take McGee into your space and we'll give you this asset that will drive KillerLeft and other Mavs fans insane" type of deal set up if Portland didn't match. We just don't know yet.
Like Reply
(07-30-2023, 11:11 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's pretty clear that's the goal, at least for this summer. Like always, the motivation can be explained by wanting to avoid paying tax in order to avoid repeater tax penalties and increasingly harsh disadvantages in the future, but to be honest, that's the reason that would be given to us even if the real reason was purely cheapness, so it's a legitimate question. 

I brought this up the other day and people spent about .05 seconds thinking about it before they dismissed it, but there's so much smoke from the ATL side regarding Josh Green. When you look as where the team is now, Green is important and I agree, not a player I'd move for Capela. However, I can't say that Capela isn't worth one young player like Green in a vacuum, and if we open our minds to the possibility that Cuban is thinking of ways to avoid the tax permanently, or at least as long as possible, then Green's impending free agency isn't the most convenient thing for them to work around. I have a sneaky suspicion that Green is not off the table in the right deal, now or at the deadline, and IF he gets moved, I will take it as a sign that the team will want to avoid the tax again next year, and that setting that path up ahead of time was at least part of the motivation. 

I hope that doesn't happen, but if it does, that's when I'll start to worry about Cuban's cheapness.

I think most signs are pointing in the right direction.  We refused to send Green in a trade for Capela, we offered Thybulle which would have put us in the tax and I think the McGee thing is more about locker room than cap/tax.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-30-2023, 12:06 PM)mvossman Wrote: I think most signs are pointing in the right direction.  We refused to send Green in a trade for Capela, we offered Thybulle which would have put us in the tax and I think the McGee thing is more about locker room than cap/tax.

I'm leaning that way, too, and hope you're right. 

I just can't dismiss the idea, personally. I feel like a Capela trade is still possible, and there are a few versions of it that will drive me insane.
Like Reply
(07-30-2023, 11:25 AM)loki Wrote: Cuban seemed willing to pay the tax for Thybulle. I'd be surprised if he wouldn't do the same for Capela. 

Agree. Besides, what's the trade for Capela that pushes DAL over the tax line? They are about 4.1M under the line, and trades generally have about equal salary coming and going.
Like Reply
(07-30-2023, 05:58 PM)F Gump Wrote: Agree. Besides, what's the trade for Capela that pushes DAL over the tax line? They are about 4.1M under the line, and trades generally have about equal salary coming and going.

I don't understand this point. Nobody is suggesting there's anything about any possible Capela trade that has anything to do with going over the tax line this year. You lost me.
Like Reply
(07-30-2023, 06:18 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't understand this point. Nobody is suggesting there's anything about any possible Capela trade that has anything to do with going over the tax line this year. You lost me.

What? Are you sure? I thought that was part of the discussion today, wondering if the Mavs might be saying no to good trades etc because of tax, intertwined with Capela being a potential target, intertwined with thoughts on whether Cuban's cheapness is somehow holding the Mavs back.

Thus, my comment that various Capela trade ideas - at least the ones I'm seeing - shouldn't lead to an either-or that hinges on Cuban's willingness to paying tax. A sampling ...

#4842 "Now do we talk about the need to stay below the tax line? Apron 1 I understand fully why we would want to stay below, but the tax line is only a Mark payout issue. If that is any part of the reason we’re not making further trades, I might have to stop watching myself. "

#4845 KL in reply to 4842 " It's pretty clear that's the goal, at least for this summer. Like always, the motivation can be explained by wanting to avoid paying tax in order to avoid repeater tax penalties and increasingly harsh disadvantages in the future, but to be honest, that's the reason that would be given to us even if the real reason was purely cheapness, so it's a legitimate question."

#4846 directly talks about that very idea " Cuban seemed willing to pay the tax for Thybulle. I'd be surprised if he wouldn't do the same for Capela."

$4848 was an expression of confidence that Mavs weren't running from good options based on tax considerations, #4849 by KL seemed to endorse that confidence, and IN THAT CONTEXT brought up Capela thoughts " I'm leaning that way, too, and hope you're right. I just can't dismiss the idea, personally. I feel like a Capela trade is still possible, and there are a few versions of it that will drive me insane."
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-30-2023, 06:51 PM)F Gump Wrote: What? Are you sure? I thought that was part of the discussion today, wondering if the Mavs might be saying no to good trades etc because of tax, intertwined with Capela being a potential target, intertwined with thoughts on whether Cuban's cheapness is somehow holding the Mavs back.

Thus, my comment that various Capela trade ideas - at least the ones I'm seeing - shouldn't lead to an either-or that hinges on Cuban's willingness to paying tax. A sampling ...

#4842 "Now do we talk about the need to stay below the tax line? Apron 1 I understand fully why we would want to stay below, but the tax line is only a Mark payout issue. If that is any part of the reason we’re not making further trades, I might have to stop watching myself. "

#4845 KL in reply to 4842 " It's pretty clear that's the goal, at least for this summer. Like always, the motivation can be explained by wanting to avoid paying tax in order to avoid repeater tax penalties and increasingly harsh disadvantages in the future, but to be honest, that's the reason that would be given to us even if the real reason was purely cheapness, so it's a legitimate question."

#4846 directly talks about that very idea " Cuban seemed willing to pay the tax for Thybulle. I'd be surprised if he wouldn't do the same for Capela."

$4848 was an expression of confidence that Mavs weren't running from good options based on tax considerations, #4849 by KL seemed to endorse that confidence, and IN THAT CONTEXT brought up Capela thoughts " I'm leaning that way, too, and hope you're right. I just can't dismiss the idea, personally. I feel like a Capela trade is still possible, and there are a few versions of it that will drive me insane."

Sorry, I thought you were replying to my point, which was an IF/THEN about NEXT season.

I must have skimmed those others unseriously because I thought we’d all agreed (post Thybulle match at least) that the Mavs wouldn’t be paying tax this year.
Like Reply
A video that goes in depth about DFS's father's parole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi_NUz44aZQ
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
[Image: F2dLkvdXMAA_9IM.jpg?width=712&height=1024]

Is Kyrie truly motivated...?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Motivation...nice
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mavs_ffl/status/1686...81408?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Holmes posted to his Instagram him arriving in the Mavs locker room entrance (and just showing the mural of Dirk holding up the trophy) and had some excitement.

Maybe he does surprise some people this year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(08-01-2023, 07:50 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/mavs_ffl/status/1686...81408?s=46&t=Fmdr94oXagcEyy75KJqaFg

Holmes posted to his Instagram him arriving in the Mavs locker room entrance (and just showing the mural of Dirk holding up the trophy) and had some excitement.

Maybe he does surprise some people this year.

I’ll be surprised if he isn’t a significant upgrade from Powell.
Like Reply
(08-01-2023, 08:15 PM)Smitty Wrote: I’ll be surprised if he isn’t a significant upgrade from Powell.

I won't be surprised either way.
But I think having both will be useful. As both know how to pick and roll, but are some different.
Like Reply
[Image: F2iMTy1WUAEeUA8?format=jpg&name=large]

Kyrie's watching
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/ytLr-7PlK9I

Kidd came to support Luka for his friendly and even sat in on a team Slovenia practice.
Like Reply
https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/da...urner-camp

RC says Luka is gonna win MVP this year.
Like Reply
Dexter Dennis signs exhibit 10 deal

https://aggieswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/...mavericks/
Like Reply
(08-05-2023, 06:34 AM)omahen Wrote: Dexter Dennis signs exhibit 10 deal

https://aggieswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/...mavericks/

Don’t know much about him.  Already 24.  Looks to have good size and a very good athlete.  Also very good defender.  It is the shooting though.  That will be the skill if he deserves a two way to continue to develop.
Like Reply
Camp Fodder, we got the team we will start the season with. They will not be adding anything else. The MBT is done till they have a chance to see what they have on hand to use. The back court is crowded already. As for the center position they have Lively, Kleber, McGee, Holmes, and Powell. 5 guys and if you have to pay McGee you might as well play him to get your moneys worth instead of cutting him. He is at worst an insurance policy being he is 270 so you can play him against certain types of players that could otherwise kill us and he is not so bad he cannot serve as insurance. Now that PHO signed Azabuike we have nothing but WCS out there to add in free agenecy. Lively will be forced to play defense against these bigger bodies and get a master class on the NBA center position which is a good thing if you ask me but if every team is trying to match up with bigger centers you have to play big so your arsenal of small ball centers is wasted. Small ball works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Kleber and Holmes both have shooting skills so they can stretch things. Powell's limited benefit is as a roll guy so if we develop that ability with Lively there is zero reason to play him. I am wondering if other teams might be interested in trading for Powell. Houston supposedly offered him a contract. I wonder what kind of chips we can get and if we can get some bean dip with that order.
Like Reply
https://www.nba.com/news/dirk-nowitzki-h...me-profile

Good read on Dirk's HOF journey
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply