Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(07-18-2023, 04:58 PM)WillE Wrote: My read is, that Schröder felt like he would have not made the same decision for himself that Maxi made.

And maybe he is even right about this.

But, you do not call out your team mates publicly, especially as a team captian. Actually, such behaviour should disqualify for staying the captian, because you don't handle internals publicly. Even if he was right.

Seems more like an excuse from Kleber to do his usual thing and bolt from the national team.

Again: I do not care for Schröder & the interview was stupid but I see one guy who shows up consistently (even played stuff like Super Cup over the years) and another one who always has „something“ that keeps him from playing. 

Dirk always showed up. Weak from Kleber to not do the same at all. He should just talk to Schröder, get this over with and play.
Like Reply
(07-18-2023, 04:54 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: I never understood why Kleber didn’t show up last year.

Now you know.
Like Reply
(07-18-2023, 05:08 PM)JamesConway912 Wrote: Seems more like an excuse from Kleber to do his usual thing and bolt from the national team.

Again: I do not care for Schröder & the interview was stupid but I see one guy who shows up consistently (even played stuff like Super Cup over the years) and another one who always has „something“ that keeps him from playing. 

Dirk always showed up. Weak from Kleber to not do the same at all. He should just talk to Schröder, get this over with and play.
His last game for the NT was almost 4 years ago: https://mahr.sb-vision.de/dbb/html/herre...x?spnr=271

One could certainly understand Schröder's frustration with Maxi's no-shows in recent years, although I haven't looked at his medical records for every game he hasn't played since.
Like Reply
Games played the last 3 years = 50, 59, 37

Maxi needs to focus on being available for the team that signs his checks.
[-] The following 11 users Like RDB's post:
  • Arioch, ballsrchr, BigDirk41, cow, DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, MFFL, michaeltex, mvossman, SleepingHero, speedkilz88
Like Reply
Wow, we still have Germans around! That’s cool, and I had no idea.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • khaled1987, ThisIStheYear, WillE
Like Reply
(07-18-2023, 05:47 PM)RDB Wrote: Games played the last 3 years = 50, 59, 37

Maxi needs to focus on being available for the team that signs his checks.

Bingo.  Not everyone is built for or lucky enough to play basketball year round and Maxi certainly isn't a puppy anymore.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • KillerLeft, RDB
Like Reply
(07-18-2023, 06:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow, we still have Germans around! That’s cool, and I had no idea.

Yeah. That's one thing I love about the Mavs. I don't think any other team has such an international presence with their fanbase save maybe the Spurs. Love reading people's takes from around the world.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • khaled1987, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Reunion Mav, WillE
Like Reply
I wonder if @Omahen will stick around after Luka retires?
Like Reply
(07-18-2023, 05:19 PM)WillE Wrote: His last game for the NT was almost 4 years ago: https://mahr.sb-vision.de/dbb/html/herre...x?spnr=271

One could certainly understand Schröder's frustration with Maxi's no-shows in recent years, although I haven't looked at his medical records for every game he hasn't played since.

Schröder made Maxi look bad just like he did with Dirk. You might say, the chemistry just wasn’t there but I could have been kind of internationally since Schröder was basically always looking to get his shot off or get Theis involved. Theis and him played way back together.
Like Reply
https://news.yahoo.com/josephine-wright-...28843.html

This is cool what Kyrie did. He really pays attention to what's going on in the world.
Have to dap him up for that.
[-] The following 8 users Like HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • cow, DallasMaverick, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, khaled1987, MFFL, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-19-2023, 05:48 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: https://news.yahoo.com/josephine-wright-...28843.html

This is cool what Kyrie did. He really pays attention to what's going on in the world.
Have to dap him up for that.

Very good on him.
Like Reply
(07-19-2023, 03:57 AM)D4N13L Wrote: Schröder made Maxi look bad just like he did with Dirk. You might say, the chemistry just wasn’t there but I could have been kind of internationally since Schröder was basically always looking to get his shot off or get Theis involved. Theis and him played way back together.
I actually can't remember the incident you're referring to, but I remember that Schröder and Dirk together really did not look good at all. Schröder was something of a black hole, not putting Dirk in the right spots and also not making enough of the shots he took for himself.

The chemistry between Theis and him is self explaning given their background: they played their youth together in Braunschweig.

Yet I still believe he can be a productive/valuable rotation player, but only in a rather narrow corridor. I actually kind of like his desire to win and would love to see him (finally) thrive in a for him fitting role, but I also hope he can come along with his ego and accept, that he not as good/important to a team's success than he believes.

The former might only come with the latter, though.
Like Reply
(07-18-2023, 06:12 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow, we still have Germans around! That’s cool, and I had no idea.

Also guys from Austria reading every page here - great site! I appreciate all your thoughts ans information!
[-] The following 4 users Like sliver91's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, michaeltex, WillE
Like Reply
Hopefully this works. JJ talks a little about Luka and Mavs

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HpOdcb0cT7U&feature=youtu.be
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/oldmanandthree/statu...64032?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
I got part way through the "Take Dat Wit You" podcast with Followill and Dameris today.  

They think starters (if we are done) will be Powell, Williams, Green, Kyrie and Luka.  They think Maxi will close at center with Williams, Kyrie and Luka.  Not sure who the fourth closer will be.  Probably someone from among Curry, Green, Hardy or THJ (if he's still here).  They think OMax has an impact this season.  They are less sure that Lively will.  They see Seth and Hardy competing for minutes

Dameris made a kind of snide comment when talking about Capela possibility still being alive.  He said Mav's won't be making a move this next week.  My tea leaf read of this is the earliest this happens is when Bufkin is eligible to be traded on 8/2 (so the week after).  From what I've seen other places, it may not be Hunter going to Toronto.  It might be Capela and kids (some combo of three out of Bufkin, Griffin Jr., Bey and Johnson).  Still not sure what good two years of THJ does for Toronto, but clearly they don't need Capela.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Chicagojk, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-19-2023, 10:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: They think starters (if we are done) will be Powell, Williams, Green, Kyrie and Luka.  They think Maxi will close at center with Williams, Kyrie and Luka.  Not sure who the fourth closer will be.  Probably someone from among Curry, Green, Hardy or THJ (if he's still here).  They think OMax has an impact this season.  They are less sure that Lively will.  They see Seth and Hardy competing for minutes

Agree with all of this. My only quibble is that I'd bet THJ closes 60-80% of games.
Like Reply
(07-19-2023, 10:20 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I got part way through the "Take Dat Wit You" podcast with Followill and Dameris today.  

They think starters (if we are done) will be Powell, Williams, Green, Kyrie and Luka.  They think Maxi will close at center with Williams, Kyrie and Luka.  Not sure who the fourth closer will be.  Probably someone from among Curry, Green, Hardy or THJ (if he's still here).  They think OMax has an impact this season.  They are less sure that Lively will.  They see Seth and Hardy competing for minutes

Dameris made a kind of snide comment when talking about Capela possibility still being alive.  He said Mav's won't be making a move this next week.  My tea leaf read of this is the earliest this happens is when Bufkin is eligible to be traded on 8/2 (so the week after).  From what I've seen other places, it may not be Hunter going to Toronto.  It might be Capela and kids (some combo of three out of Bufkin, Griffin Jr., Bey and Johnson).  Still not sure what good two years of THJ does for Toronto, but clearly they don't need Capela.

Heading into this offseason, I emphatically said if Powell remains the starting 5 then they have failed outright.

Given that we're heading more and more to that reality I'm struggling to maintain that line of thought. The Mavs by all accounts have had a great offseason. Best one in years. Yet despite their additions they didn't address probably the most glaring need. Can Holmes be that? If so then this offseason was an A+. If not, then I have to knock the grade down to a B-. 

Powell is a fantastic role player and does a lot of things correctly, but a starting center he is not. This is about the time someone will quote me and say it matters less who starts and more who finishes, and to a point I agree. Yet, the need for a consistent rebounder and rim protector, who can also defend bigger guys, is very much apparent. 

Funnily enough, I doubt anyone here would expect it but Boston used Grant Williams primarily as a big stopper. He spent significant time guarding Embiid, Giannis, AD, Jokic, Bam, and practically every other center the Celtics faced against. He had varying success. He was fantastic against Giannis, a little less so individually against Embiid. He shut down Bam and even held his own against Jokic. 

Point is, perhaps we're thinking a bit narrowly (myself included). Yes the Mavs failed to make a significant stride at center, but they might've still fulfilled what they were lookin for with Grant Williams. 

That was my rose colored take on it. They still objectively need to rework the center position. I'm pretty sure it was Nico himself that said that they needed to remake the entire lineup. So far they haven't really unless Holmes comes out swinging and is a valued contributor. Which is a long shot.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@wojespn
Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Bryan Gates — who recently accepted a spot on Jason Kidd’s staff — is joining the Philadelphia 76ers as an assistant, sources tell ESPN. Mavericks freed Gates for Nick Nurse’s staff to take a significant step up in role.
Like Reply
(07-20-2023, 12:28 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Heading into this offseason, I emphatically said if Powell remains the starting 5 then they have failed outright.

Given that we're heading more and more to that reality I'm struggling to maintain that line of thought. The Mavs by all accounts have had a great offseason. Best one in years. Yet despite their additions they didn't address probably the most glaring need. Can Holmes be that? If so then this offseason was an A+. If not, then I have to knock the grade down to a B-. 

Powell is a fantastic role player and does a lot of things correctly, but a starting center he is not. This is about the time someone will quote me and say it matters less who starts and more who finishes, and to a point I agree. Yet, the need for a consistent rebounder and rim protector, who can also defend bigger guys, is very much apparent. 

Funnily enough, I doubt anyone here would expect it but Boston used Grant Williams primarily as a big stopper. He spent significant time guarding Embiid, Giannis, AD, Jokic, Bam, and practically every other center the Celtics faced against. He had varying success. He was fantastic against Giannis, a little less so individually against Embiid. He shut down Bam and even held his own against Jokic. 

Point is, perhaps we're thinking a bit narrowly (myself included). Yes the Mavs failed to make a significant stride at center, but they might've still fulfilled what they were lookin for with Grant Williams. 

That was my rose colored take on it. They still objectively need to rework the center position. I'm pretty sure it was Nico himself that said that they needed to remake the entire lineup. So far they haven't really unless Holmes comes out swinging and is a valued contributor. Which is a long shot.

I agree with the first part. For years Mavs needed to improve top of the rotation, as they lacked that 3rd and 4th best player on a contender but had a bunch of (at best) five best players. As it is now, they only replaced Bullock with GW, who was 8th man in rotation for Boston. We hope he is more than that. We hope Green can take another step forward and become credible starter, who he wasn't last season. Mavs had great individual moves, but didn't address biggest issues of the roster. I am affraid how this season will look like.
Like Reply