Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(07-11-2023, 03:38 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Found this super interesting.  See text thread for more Mavs thoughts

https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...07297?s=20

summary copied from reddit

thread:
- Mavs still want to improve their rebounding
- Lively might play a lot of minutes in the G-League
- Capela talks are not dead, but they've stalled because Atlanta wants to dump salary
- Javale is not going to be on the roster come the start of camp
- Luka wanted to bulk up, but the front office has convinced him that bubble Luka is the peak version of himself and he's working towards thinning back down to that
- Bojan Bogdanovic trade rumors have resurfaced, but the Mavs might not have the assets for it and he doesn't fit their future plans
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 04:29 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: summary copied from reddit

thread:
- Mavs still want to improve their rebounding
- Lively might play a lot of minutes in the G-League
- Capela talks are not dead, but they've stalled because Atlanta wants to dump salary
- Javale is not going to be on the roster come the start of camp
- Luka wanted to bulk up, but the front office has convinced him that bubble Luka is the peak version of himself and he's working towards thinning back down to that
- Bojan Bogdanovic trade rumors have resurfaced, but the Mavs might not have the assets for it and he doesn't fit their future plans

To put a stamp on Javale, both McMahon and Dameris emphatically said McGee will not be on the roster come training camp, and he's going to be gone either through a trade or stretch-waive.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 05:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: To put a stamp on Javale, both McMahon and Dameris emphatically said McGee will not be on the roster come training camp, and he's going to be gone either through a trade or stretch-waive.

This makes me think javale must have been a big locker room issue. Doesn't seem like the Mavs would be that dead set on getting rid of him otherwise since they've kept players in the past even when the player didn't contribute much on the floor.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 06:48 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: This makes me think javale must have been a big locker room issue. Doesn't seem like the Mavs would be that dead set on getting rid of him otherwise since they've kept players in the past even when the player didn't contribute much on the floor.

Yeah potentially.  He looked like he was having a fun time on the bench last year, but that can be deceiving.

One of the reasons I have liked this offseason is the Mavs have focused on guys who do things Luka does not like and whose sole purpose is to make things easier for Luka and Kyrie.   Wood is talented.  But both him and McGee certainly didn't make things easier for Luka.   Now some of the guys they targeted may need some time.   It is also not a certainty that they will become good players either.  But I am glad they looked to surround Luka with guys I think are good fits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 06:48 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: This makes me think javale must have been a big locker room issue. Doesn't seem like the Mavs would be that dead set on getting rid of him otherwise since they've kept players in the past even when the player didn't contribute much on the floor.

I really don't think Luka was a fan of McGee.  When McGee was shitting the bed early in the season, there were multiple instances of Luka sending disgusted looks to the bench.  They really seem focused on getting character guys or guys that Luka is buddies with, and getting rid of anyone that presented any issue with Luka or the locker room.  Probably explains McGee and Wood.  I would be surprised if it applied to Timmy as he has been known as high character guy, but maybe he and Luka had some kind of falling out as they seem determined (at least per Stein) to dump him.
Like Reply
Y'all remember McGee's early retirement? Dude could have had an incredible career, but is LAZY. I don't know if he or Wood caused problems in the locker room, but McGee certainly caused problems on the floor. My impression is that Luka isn't worried about anything but what's happening on the court. Re: Wood on the court and Luka, I remember a Luka quote heralding Wood during the stretch where Wood was tearing it up. IMO, the Wood thing is all on Kidd. Did you ever hear anyone complain about Larry Sanders prior to Kidd's time in MIL? Kidd is a royal class asshole; this I know for certain.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghost of Podkolzin's post:
  • surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 07:58 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: IMO, the Wood thing is all on Kidd.  

If that was the case then Wood would have found another team by now at the MLE or higher.
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, mvossman
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 05:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: To put a stamp on Javale, both McMahon and Dameris emphatically said McGee will not be on the roster come training camp, and he's going to be gone either through a trade or stretch-waive.

It seems really foolish to stretch waive him now that we're under the luxury tax and they've declared there is no one left in free agency who can help us.  

Our cap situation will likely worsen next season once we extend Josh Green.  Not sure why the Mavericks can't just hold onto Javale as that contract will be much less of a burden next offseason and we can use it in a trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 09:02 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: It seems really foolish to stretch waive him now that we're under the luxury tax and they've declared there is no one left in free agency who can help us.  

Our cap situation will likely worsen next season once we extend Josh Green.  Not sure why the Mavericks can't just hold onto Javale as that contract will be much less of a burden next offseason and we can use it in a trade.

Depends on what other moves they make. Doesn’t seem like they are done yet
Like Reply

Nothing from McGee's bench activity would indicate that, the opposite actually.  On the court, maybe.  It often felt like he took the disappointment from his ever devolving role with the team and wasn't all that serious when he did get minutes.  My money is on Wood.  No way a guy that can get you 18-10 has little interest league wide, even at bargain salaries.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 09:24 PM)cow Wrote: Nothing from McGee's bench activity would indicate that, the opposite actually.  On the court, maybe.  It often felt like he took the disappointment from his ever devolving role with the team and wasn't all that serious when he did get minutes.  My money is on Wood.  No way a guy that can get you 18-10 has little interest league wide, even at bargain salaries.

I agree that none of the behavior we saw would indicate he was a problem. But it seems odd to me that they are so adamant that he not be in the roster next year. To me that points to something more (that we're not privy to) than that he's not useful on the court. Pure conjecture on my part though.

Feel the same way about Wood for the reason you mentioned.
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 04:29 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: - Luka wanted to bulk up, but the front office has convinced him that bubble Luka is the peak version of himself and he's working towards thinning back down to that

Best news of the summer. Bigger than Kyrie re-signing, even.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 10:46 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: But it seems odd to me that they are so adamant that he not be in the roster next year. To me that points to something more (that we're not privy to) than that he's not useful on the court. Pure conjecture on my part though.

I actually think the desire to dump him is pretty simple.  Luka has no use for him.  He disrespected him JaVale before the season started.  Remember the whole "Joel" thing?   I'm not trying to make excuses for McGee, he was mostly bad with his time on the court but I don't think he was given a fair shake, made worse by the idiotic contract he was given. Luka not wanting you is enough to get you jettisoned, lord knows we've witnessed that a few times already, bad play is the cherry on top.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 10:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Best news of the summer. Bigger than Kyrie re-signing, even.

Imagine if Kamm was here to read that.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 09:02 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: It seems really foolish to stretch waive him now that we're under the luxury tax and they've declared there is no one left in free agency who can help us.  

I agree with your thinking. A waived player can't be used as salary filler in a trade, once he's been waived, so why? If he's not traded, I do wonder if they might not go this direction after all, when it comes down to it. It's not like they have a desperate need for the roster slot.

It does need to be mentioned that if/when he's waived, it doesn't mean the salary must be stretched. Given their lack of other spending so far, it's looking like there's really no reason for them to push some of that salary into a future year, since they don't need extra spending room now. Pay for this year's salary this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Well White Mamba has been taken since Brian Scalabrine. But Luka could be the Fat Mamba
[-] The following 2 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • BigDirk41, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 12:02 AM)F Gump Wrote: I agree with your thinking. A waived player can't be used as salary filler in a trade, once he's been waived, so why? If he's not traded, I do wonder if they might not go this direction after all, when it comes down to it. It's not like they have a desperate need for the roster slot.

It does need to be mentioned that if/when he's waived, it doesn't mean the salary must be stretched. Given their lack of other spending so far, it's looking like there's really no reason for them to push some of that salary into a future year, since they don't need extra spending room now. Pay for this year's salary this year.

Hypothetically, are they allowed to go the opposite way and accelerate the cap hit? Absorb it all this season, or maybe absorb three years worth of money over two years?
Like Reply
(07-12-2023, 12:27 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hypothetically, are they allowed to go the opposite way and accelerate the cap hit? Absorb it all this season, or maybe absorb three years worth of money over two years?

No.

But if I understand the new CBA on this, if he does get waived, a new rule would allow them to not stretch him this year, then they wouldn't have to decide on what to do about the other year until next summer (to decide if that other year gets stretched or not).
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(07-11-2023, 11:26 PM)cow Wrote: I actually think the desire to dump him is pretty simple.  Luka has no use for him.  He disrespected him JaVale before the season started.  Remember the whole "Joel" thing?   I'm not trying to make excuses for McGee, he was mostly bad with his time on the court but I don't think he was given a fair shake, made worse by the idiotic contract he was given. 
Luka not wanting you is enough to get you jettisoned, lord knows we've witnessed that a few times already, bad play is the cherry on top.

Both the Wood and McGee stints last year imply something very dysfunctional in the roster chemistry and behind the scenes locker room dynamics with last years teams. 

Without concluding blame, Wood showed way more talent offensively and even some real bursts of defensive effort than his current vet minimum market value indicates.  In his case though, its a multi-team pattern at this point. 

McGee on the other hand is even more curious to me.  His is a 3x NBA champion that Dallas evidently misused the 1st time under Carlisle only to watch him leave and contribute to NBA championships with TWO other teams! 

They then bring him back under a new coach and promise him a starting center role! 
Head coach Jason Kidd names JaVale McGee Dallas Mavericks starting center 
Quote:Reports quickly began to surface that McGee would be the team’s starting center next season. The Mavericks traded for Christian Wood during the NBA Finals, but Dallas appeared committed to starting the two side by side in the frontcourt.

Head coach Jason Kidd confirmed that McGee would be the team’s starting five next season during an interview on ESPN from the Las Vegas Summer League. Here is a look at why that should not come as a surprise.

As bad as his minutes/stats might suggest McGee, I recall dropping in on a game or two where McGee logged minutes and showed some serious burst, indicating he hadn't exactly lost all his athleticism.  Was a Phoenix game or one of the other late season in the balance games where he ended up being the post game interview for his almost-heroic late game defense and effort? 

I recall coming into the season McGee publicly complained early on that the role they had him pegged for did not look like it was going to fit.  Something went very wrong there based on what Dallas said when they signed him and the immediate results: 
Quote:https://thesmokingcuban.com/posts/dallas...vale-mcgee 

McGee's time in Dallas was a disaster. He averaged 4.4 points per game and lost his promised starting job quickly. Dallas signed him to a three-year, $17 million contract last summer and already wants to release him after one season. He didn't live up to his expectations and is likely worth a veteran's minimum contract at this point.

This was McGee's second stint in Dallas, and there is a big possibility that he never plays in a Mavericks jersey again. Dallas has to find a better option at center, and McGee doesn't seem to be included in their plans moving forward.

Cry
Like Reply
My impression was that McGee and Wood didn't really help with Luka moving toward the basket. They weren't good screeners and didn't block out defenders when Luka made a drive. Instead they often pulled in another defender to the rim either because they were badly positioned or because the defense disrespected their offensive game (McGee).

My perception of how Dwight and Maxi play is that they screen better and will box out defenders as Luka moves into the paint or pull their defender out to the 3pt line (Maxi in particular). Both actions help open the lane for Luka's creativity.

Future success will depend on Holmes/DLive/Capella(?), whoever is playing the 5 spot, understanding that their first job offensively is to help set the stage for Luka/Kyrie by helping get the desired defensive switch to give DAL an opportunity to exploit the mis-match. The big's scoring will come on put backs and lobs, unless they are a consistent 3pt threat like Maxi.
[-] The following 4 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, Dahlsim, Smitty
Like Reply