Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(07-01-2023, 05:38 PM)omahen Wrote: Problem with SnT is, the "giving" usually gets a minor compensation for their trouble and doesn't really want any bad salary back. Mavs don't have much minor compensation assets, unfortunately.

We've got some cap room and at least one 2nd rounder. Plus some veterans that might attract the right team. That's enough to start the conversation.
Like Reply
Mavs got Powell back. Thank God. He should be Mav for life. Then he can move into the front office and be running the show.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bayliss's post:
  • BigDirk41, BoredAssistant, hakeemfaan
Like Reply
Sorry if I missed this somewhere else. Looks like he spent 2 years overseas where he averaged 10.2pts/2.3ast/2.4reb on 56.8/41.9/85.6 shooting splits. Also was drafted by Dennis Lindsey.

@wojespn

Free agent G Dante Exum – a former No. 5 overall pick – is returning to the NBA on a guaranteed deal with the Dallas Mavericks, his agent Brandon Rosenthal tells ESPN. After leading Partizan to their first title in a decade, Exum brings his perimeter versatility to the Mavs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes soog's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 09:37 PM)soog Wrote: Sorry if I missed this somewhere else. Looks like he spent 2 years overseas where he averaged 10.2pts/2.3ast/2.4reb on 56.8/41.9/85.6 shooting splits. Also was drafted by Dennis Lindsey.

@wojespn

Free agent G Dante Exum – a former No. 5 overall pick – is returning to the NBA on a guaranteed deal with the Dallas Mavericks, his agent Brandon Rosenthal tells ESPN. After leading Partizan to their first title in a decade, Exum brings his perimeter versatility to the Mavs.

Meh...
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 09:37 PM)soog Wrote: Sorry if I missed this somewhere else. Looks like he spent 2 years overseas where he averaged 10.2pts/2.3ast/2.4reb on 56.8/41.9/85.6 shooting splits. Also was drafted by Dennis Lindsey.

@wojespn

Good signing I think. Very good perimeter defender with size. I remember Gerald Green going overseas and coming back as a meaningful rotation player after that. I always liked Exum he just never lived up to the hype. Heck of an athlete. He should make a nice rotation piece the way he's been playing in Euro.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, omahen
Like Reply
(07-01-2023, 05:38 PM)omahen Wrote: Problem with SnT is, the "giving" usually gets a minor compensation for their trouble and doesn't really want any bad salary back. Mavs don't have much minor compensation assets, unfortunately.

I think S&T is too myopic.  If we are trading for someone, it doesn’t have to be a free agent.

With the trade spread we have left over from Bertans/Holmes ($12.5mm is $7.5mm plus the $5mm spread between Bertans and Holmes) and expiring Reggie, we can get to $23mm returning.  Add in McGee and it is almost $30mm (because the outgoing crosses $29mm).  Make the outgoing THJ/McGee and you get to really big numbers.

I struggle to see the remaining FA’s being worth that (but I’ve been surprised by a few).  It seems more likely  we are talking about an existing contract at those levels.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • audiosway, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 01:15 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I think S&T is too myopic.  If we are trading for someone, it doesn’t have to be a free agent.

With the trade spread we have left over from Bertans/Holmes ($12.5mm is $7.5mm plus the $5mm spread between Bertans and Holmes) and expiring Reggie, we can get to $23mm returning.  Add in McGee and it is almost $30mm (because the outgoing crosses $29mm).  Make the outgoing THJ/McGee and you get to really big numbers.

I struggle to see the remaining FA’s being worth that (but I’ve been surprised by a few).  It seems more likely  we are talking about an existing contract at those levels.

I agree with that, I am just not sure there are many teams left looking to reduce salaries (and there is still some competition from cap space teams). Clippers are a team that could appreciate tax savings as they just brought in a couple of younger players. Zubac and Morris seems like a combination that would make sense for Dallas. I think we could be compensated for taking Morris, but I am not sure about Zubac. Clippers want to contend, so what would they receive? Would Bullock+McGee satisfy them? 

Most of the other teams cleared their caps nicely, I think. GSW is still high in tax, but will be probably fine next season, once Thompson signs lower deal. 

Unless of course, Mavs bring 2027 pick on the table.
Like Reply
Ayton Valanciunas KAT Horford Zubac Plumlee rumors abound.

Next years center prospects in free agency maybe a team is not wanting to pay them and or they are afraid they will be taken away if they miss the play offs. Whatever maybe they are willing to trade them now to avoid losing them in free agency.
Hartenstein 26.2
Claxton 25.2
Wiseman 23.2
Drummond 30.9
Zach Collins 26.6
Valanciunas 32.1
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 01:50 AM)omahen Wrote: I agree with that, I am just not sure there are many teams left looking to reduce salaries (and there is still some competition from cap space teams). Clippers are a team that could appreciate tax savings as they just brought in a couple of younger players. Zubac and Morris seems like a combination that would make sense for Dallas. I think we could be compensated for taking Morris, but I am not sure about Zubac. Clippers want to contend, so what would they receive? Would Bullock+McGee satisfy them? 

Most of the other teams cleared their caps nicely, I think. GSW is still high in tax, but will be probably fine next season, once Thompson signs lower deal. 

Unless of course, Mavs bring 2027 pick on the table.

Realizing this is sacrilegious, but I could see something that includes McGee/Reggie/Hardy and #27…so big game hunting, not Grant Williams hunting.

Just as an example…It isn’t too late for Portland to turn J. Grant into a S&T (4 years instead of five). It would be easy enough to salary match $27mm. Maybe part of the arrangement is they agree not to match our offer to Thybulle.

Holmes/Lively/Powell
Grant/Maxi/OMax
Luka/THJ
Green/Thybulle
Irving/Seth/Exum
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 03:22 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Realizing this is sacrilegious, but I could see something that includes McGee/Reggie/Hardy and #27…so big game hunting, not Grant Williams hunting.

Just as an example…It isn’t too late for Portland to turn J. Grant into a S&T (4 years instead of five).  It would be easy enough to salary match $27mm.  Maybe part of the arrangement is they agree not to match our offer to Thybulle.

Holmes/Lively/Powell
Grant/Maxi/OMax
Luka/THJ
Green/Thybulle
Irving/Seth/Exum

Bring up hope for something real good, and then make me puke.

This package might be better then what Portland will get for Dame and then we get a player on a contract I had too think twice, if he had Giannis attached.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 03:22 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Realizing this is sacrilegious, but I could see something that includes McGee/Reggie/Hardy and #27…so big game hunting, not Grant Williams hunting.

Hardy is a non-starter for me.  I really think he as 6th man of the year potential in him.  I've been thinking about including #27 too to help bring something more substantial back and get off of McGee, but that handcuffs us for the foreseeable future and probably doesn't move us into contention.  Hardy or not, that probably doesn't even put you into "big game" hunting, more like "medium game" hunting.  You could talk me into moving Josh but I have no idea what his value is.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 03:34 AM)Mapka Wrote: Bring up hope for something real good, and then make me puke.

This package might be better then what Portland will get for Dame and then we get a player on a contract I had too think twice, if he had Giannis attached.

Thus the words “just as an example”.  Does Siakam work instead?  Who do you like?  I think there is still a path to a couple more players with some size.  I went with Grant because 1. He makes less than the KAT’s, Ayton’s, Siakam’s and Tobias Harris’ of the world and 2. Thybulle was a logical tie in.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 03:38 AM)cow Wrote: Hardy is a non-starter for me.  I really think he as 6th man of the year potential in him.  I've been thinking about including #27 too to help bring something more substantial back and get off of McGee, but that handcuffs us for the foreseeable future and probably doesn't move us into contention.  Hardy or not, that probably doesn't even put you into "big game" hunting, more like "medium game" hunting.  You could talk me into moving Josh but I have no idea what his value is.

I think the idea of 27 or Hardy or both or neither is completely dependent on the incoming player.  We could simply send out Reggie and help a team get off of $23mm of salary for $10.5mm for a year.  From there you can build and scheme to meet the value of the incoming player.  If you cross $29mm of outgoing (including Bertans), the math shifts a little because you go from $7.5mm trade spread to 125% plus $250k.
  • ItsGoTime, MFFL
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 03:55 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Thus the words “just as an example”.  Does Siakam work instead?  Who do you like?  I think there is still a path to a couple more players with some size.  I went with Grant because 1. He makes less than the KAT’s, Ayton’s, Siakam’s and Tobias Harris’ of the world and 2. Thybulle was a logical tie in.

I'd love to know the timing of Grant's contract versus Dame's decision.   I'd guess Grant agreed to the deal with full knowledge that Dame was going to hit the eject button.  Portland enters the rebuild and are paying Grant that massive contract to set the culture for all the young pups.  

Siakam is really the only name on your list I'd be interested in giving up a future pick for and I'm honestly not sure that gets it done, even if you included Hardy or Josh.
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 04:02 AM)cow Wrote: I'd love to know the timing of Grant's contract versus Dame's decision.   I'd guess Grant agreed to the deal with full knowledge that Dame was going to hit the eject button.  Portland enters the rebuild and are paying Grant that massive contract to set the culture for all the young pups.  

Siakam is really the only name on your list I'd be interested in giving up a future pick for and I'm honestly not sure that gets it done, even if you included Hardy or Josh.

A couple more wrinkles….If Holmes ends up with the third team, we can actually take back something like 41.57mm (17-Bertans + 10.5-Bullock + 5.7-McGee x 1.25 +$250k).  Again, you can swap in and out other players.  Maybe that is someone that doesn’t require Hardy or 2027 as the receiving team is only taking back Bullock and McGee, but is sending out big money.  

I’m hoping they are trying to be creative.  With the Harden and Lillard shoes still to drop, there are reasons why some deals haven’t been done yet.
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 04:15 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: A couple more wrinkles….If Holmes ends up with the third team, we can actually take back something like 41.57mm (17-Bertans + 10.5-Bullock + 5.7-McGee x 1.25 +$250k).  Again, you can swap in and out other players.  Maybe that is someone that doesn’t require Hardy or 2027 as the receiving team is only taking back Bullock and McGee, but is sending out big money.  

I’m hoping they are trying to be creative.  With the Harden and Lillard shoes still to drop, there are reasons why some deals haven’t been done yet.

You've made it to Gobert's number.   I'd like to believe the Mavs have something cooked up but after so many years of reading all the creative trade ideas and then nothing happening, I'm just going to assume we are mostly done.  

Since I like throwing around Moneyball a lot, and speaking of distressed assets (Gobert), anyone willing to take a PR hit for Miles Bridges?
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 04:23 AM)cow Wrote: You've made it to Gobert's number.   I'd like to believe the Mavs have something cooked up but after so many years of reading all the creative trade ideas and then nothing happening, I'm just going to assume we are mostly done.  

Since I like throwing around Moneyball a lot, and speaking of distressed assets (Gobert), anyone willing to take a PR hit for Miles Bridges?

I would.  That would be an interesting one to figure out in terms of price.  Both price to acquire from Charlotte and price to pay in terms of contract.  I don’t see the need for Charlotte to keep both Bridges and PJ, but I can obviously see them wanting to extract value.  Does anyone there have a relationship with Kyrie or Dennis Lindsey?  Smile
  • Okstate819
Like Reply
One more thought on this.  What if we are in the middle of the Harden deal to LAC.  I like Zubac and would take one year of Morris as the incoming.  Lots of outgoing combinations would work, but the idea is to reduce the amount of incoming salary for both LAC and Philly.

Morris could reunite with Irving from their Boston days (and he and his brother could play together before both likely retire). Zubac is part of the Balkan contingent in the NBA, so this meets the apparent relationship element of our free agency so far.
  • MFFL, omahen
Like Reply
Went through all the updated rosters. Short thoughts and one trade/move per team, the Mavs could be interested in.

Hawks

Garuba is a very similar player to Capela. Preemptive move? I can see them trying to move on from Bogdanovic quickly, before his injury-proneness turns him into another Collins. I don´t think they will actively shop Murray or Hunter.

Suggested trade: THJ for Bogdanovic

Celtics 

I think their roster is set. I don´t believe them, when they say, they will match offers up to the full MLE for Grant Williams. They are already at 175M guaranteed. I think they´d prefer to S&T him to a capspace team for a trade exception, and this is just posturing to gain a 2nd round pick.

Suggested trade: Offer the full MLE to Grant Williams

Nets

Roster seems pretty much set. An argument could be made for a back-up veteran PF/C, whose contract lines up with the expiration of the Simmons deal in two years. The Nets also have two large trade exception and are $20M under the tax.

Suggested trade: McGee + 2nd round pick for a TPE. Nets would probably insist on two.

Hornets

One of the more interesting teams left on the market currently. $30M in capspace without the capholds of Washington, Bridges, Oubre.

I do three trades here:

Wishful thinking trade: THJ + 2027 unprotected 1st for PJ Washington
Preferable (can´t do) trade: Offer Bridges the full MLE.
Suggested trade: Cody Martin (16/2 guaranteed) + Mykhailiuk (15/3) + two future 2nd round picks for Bullock

Bulls

Their owner historically does not want to pay the tax. They are roughly the full MLE under the tax, so they are either trying to cover for a full MLE offer for Dosunmu or actually looking to actively strengthen their frontcourt. They only have one PF under contract in Patrick Williams.

Suggested trade: Chicago signs Christian Wood for the remaining 6M in their MLE. No Mavs returns here.

Cavs

I got nothing. Their roster seems pretty much complete. Unless you want to make a real lopsided win now offer to them, I don´t see any viable options for either side.

Suggested trade: N/A. Raul Neto for the veteran minimum would have been my suggestion before the Exum news.

Nuggets

Nuggets main rotation seems pretty much set, but they could add some scoring in their frontcourt. Luka´s Slovenia teammate Cancar seems to have fallen out of favour. Cancar is a useful bench PF and his salary is so low that it´s actually an acceptable return for Wood that doesn´t mess with our own cap too much.

Suggested trade: Cancar + TPE for Wood

Detroit

Roster moves seem pretty much complete, with the exception of signing their rookies. The limitation with our picks makes trade suggestions really difficult, so a trade that the Mavs might do, but I would not.

Suggested trade: Bogdanovic + Stewart + 2027 unprotected first for THJ + McGee.

Golden State

The Warriors would likely be interested in Kleber for their last hurrah, but at the same time this would hurt our depth. A trade that comes down to the strategic approach by the Mavs.

Suggested trade: Kuminga for Kleber + Mavs 2nd round pick + Warriors receive 2027 1st round pick swap rights.

Rockets

I have absolutely no inside information how badly the Rockets want to win now and how they view Sengun, but I assume the price is very high. I projected Sengun as a top 5 pick and my opinion has not changed. I think he has SERIOUS potential.

Suggested trade: KPJ (non guaranteed after this season) + Sengun + three 2024 2nd round picks (from OKC + GS + Brooklyn) for THJ + McGee + Mavs 2027 1st round pick unprotected.

Add-On: Sign Jason Terry from the Nuggets G-League affiliate as an assistant coach and personal mentor to KPJ due to his close personal ties.

Pacers

With the acquisitions of Walker/Toppin at PF there is absolutely no space anymore for Jalen Smith. Finally an easy suggestion.

Suggested trade: Jalen Smith for McGee + 2nd round pick or Jalen Smith for TPE.

Clippers

Westbrook 15/8/8 shooting 41/36/88 in the play-offs. 3.8M sounds like a good price for his veteran leadership given that we pay McGee 6M to mentor Luka. 
Back on topic. Covington has been awful for them and the Martin acquisition suggests his time in LA has come to an end. They don´t have a back-up C at the moment.

Suggested trade: Covington + Plumlee for Wood + McGee.

Lakers

Absolutely nothing in it for the Mavs. The Lakers appear done.

Suggested trade:  N/A

Grizzlies

Grizzlies roster also seems pretty much set. Not a huge fan of Xavier Tillman and I assume he will be the last returning piece. Anyway since I got nothing better.

Suggested trade: Tillman 10/3 into the rest of the Holmes TPE.

Heat

Seems obvious the Lillard trade will happen eventually. I will cheat a little and do this here.

Suggested trade: Offer Lowry the rest of the MLE after he has been traded and waived by Portland.

Bucks

I sense an Israeli summer vacation bromance partner for Kyrie. Tongue

Suggested trade: S&T Meyers Leonard for McGee.

Wolves

So I kept it small and simple so far. How about some big deals now. Okay not yet. I just don´t see the Wolves trading KAT for our trash. They might move on from Anderson to not upset Gobert more.

Suggested trade: Anderson for Bullock.

Pelicans

Here comes the pimp party Hard-On. Anybody noticed that the Pelicans still have no PG, so here we go. They also have a shitload of picks, so that´s my sneaky Harden destination.

Suggested trade: James Harden to the Pelicans. As part of the deal: Lewis + Temple (non-guaranteed) to Mavs, Bullock to Sixers.

Knicks

At this point we must have sufficiently scared the Knicks that they are never getting that 1st round pick, so...

Suggested trade: Fournier + Mavs 2024 1st round pick (back) for Bullock + Wood.

OKC

Since it seems offical that Saric will sign with the Warriors, I don´t have much to offer here, except....POKU baby. I still believe.

Suggested trade: Pokusevski for an exception  or Pokusevski for McGee + 2nd round pick.

Magic

The draft/free agency somewhat helped their backcourt issues, and they still have capspace.

Suggested trade: Isaac for Bullock + McGee

...to be continued.
[-] The following 7 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • AgGiE1991, ballsrchr, Chicagojk, DallasMaverick, HIMAV, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(07-02-2023, 05:30 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: One more thought on this.  What if we are in the middle of the Harden deal to LAC.  I like Zubac and would take one year of Morris as the incoming.  Lots of outgoing combinations would work, but the idea is to reduce the amount of incoming salary for both LAC and Philly.

With Harden trade to Clippers, the big question is what would Philly get. If Philly wouild be satisfied with a poo poo platter of vet role players, Harden would already be gone. But I think they will do everything to recoupe star value. Lillard would make a lot of sense to everyone involved if Philly includes Maxey. However, Lillard seems to be determined he wants Miami only. How nice of him to sign that supermax contract and then screw Portland like that. 

I think Clippers will be dumping Morris to save tax. They don't need him with Martin Jr and other PF (Batum, RoCo) they have, and it seems his contract is not needed for Harden trade. I would be ok just with Bullock for Morris (with Clippers paying us some minor assets for the saved tax). We need Morris more than we need Bullock. If we would also want Zubac, than I am not sure what we have to convince them to include him. He is their starter and they will not just give him away.
Like Reply