Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
They just gave THJ a new jersey number because that is the MBT's favorite number to trade.
Like Reply
I wouldn't give too much stock on assigned jersey numbers.
This is a team who traded Barnes mid-game.
Yep. HB insisted on playing but still..
Like Reply
Will be an interesting season. After the draft, everyone is hyped up about prospects and all of them will be great, cheap rotation players. Let's hope it turns out that way.

If Prosper is bricking open corner 3s and Lively can't stay in front of anyone in the pick and roll, how patient will everyone (coaches, fans, Luka, Kyrie) be?

I'm honestly 50/50 right now which will happen.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 09:31 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Will be an interesting season.  After the draft, everyone is hyped up about prospects and all of them will be great, cheap rotation players.  Let's hope it turns out that way. 

If Prosper is bricking open corner 3s and Lively can't stay in front of anyone in the pick and roll, how patient will everyone (coaches, fans, Luka, Kyrie) be?

We have Hardy so I'm cool.  I hope the rookies get a hefty dose of minutes throughout the season.  No better way to learn.

The only thing that could ruin this season is if we get Ayton, HB, Kelly or Kuzma.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Have the Mavs made any comments on Holmes yet? Are they not able to due to the trade not being official? Has anything leaked though? Any comments from Holmes?
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 05:39 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Yes. You could tell Nico was serious. This is the way. We have the young core of Hardy/Green/O-Max/Lively led by Luka. They will all play immediately. And this is who we build around long term

The flip side to the “young 5” is to find the right veterans around them. Kyrie, Maxi, and THJ i think are guys who compliment the young 5 well. We still need 2 more of the right type players. Perfect to me would be Bruce Brown and G Williams. But, those type of guys

This is going to be a good team that sneaks up on folks by the end of the year. It’s going to be so much fun to watch and i can’t wait. I’m honestly looking at flying out to Vegas for summer league
I'm really wanting to drink the koolaid, but we are pinning hopes on a lot of youth. That said...

I would submit that the young 5 is actually led by a wily veteran. Luka is still pretty young, but he's entering his 5th NBA season and has been participating in top level competition for the last 9-10 years, often as a boy among men. If he can instill his joy at playing in these young team members and they can bond enought to trust each other, then the rest of the league should worry. 

Of course, Luka will need to be in shape to keep up with them but it anecdotal reports show he's apparently paying attention to that aspect now. We should get a read around August 2nd on how he's doing.
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 09:31 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Will be an interesting season.  After the draft, everyone is hyped up about prospects and all of them will be great, cheap rotation players.  Let's hope it turns out that way. 

I’m just thankful we have things to be hyped about at this point. It’s a marked and welcome change for this team. In the past we were stuck trying to convince ourselves that DoJo was the second coming of Dwyane Wade and banking all the rest of our hope on signing Dwight Howard, only to pick guys up off of the scrap heap when our all-in chase of the premier free agent didn’t pan out.

I’ll take the potential of these moves over the false hope of the past any day.
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 07:22 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Have the Mavs made any comments on Holmes yet?  Are they not able to due to the trade not being official?  Has anything leaked though?  Any comments from Holmes?

1 He's not a Mav. They can't discuss him.
2 The only leak (as per the norm) is the looming trade itself. 
3 For all we know, he may never be a Mav. I suspect he is being mentioned in trade talks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 10:00 AM)F Gump Wrote: 1 He's not a Mav. They can't discuss him.
2 The only leak (as per the norm) is the looming trade itself. 
3 For all we know, he may never be a Mav. I suspect he is being mentioned in trade talks.

So how is O‘Max a Mav already? Can you change draft picks or rights for a drafted player earlier than the other moving parts?
Like Reply
(06-26-2023, 08:49 PM)cow Wrote: They just gave THJ a new jersey number because that is the MBT's favorite number to trade.

The red shirts on Star Trek.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 04:09 PM)Knutsen Wrote: So how is O‘Max a Mav already? Can you change draft picks or rights for a drafted player earlier than the other moving parts?

Technically O'Max is not yet a Mav.

Yet the fact he will be one soon has been no secret. In past days, any mention by the league (or the teams) would have all waited until the trade was actually finalized and approved. But this year Silver "announced" trades of picks in almost real time during the draft, and with some of them using verbiage saying these draft picks have been swapped in a deal to be finalized later. But it was only the picks - where they were headed - that got announced. I don't know why.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Knutsen
Like Reply
Is this the NBA version of Schrödinger´s cat? A player has to be considered part of both teams and non of the teams at the same time...
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • khaled1987, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, The Jom
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 06:13 PM)F Gump Wrote: Technically O'Max is not yet a Mav.

Yet the fact he will be one soon has been no secret. In past days, any mention by the league (or the teams) would have all waited until the trade was actually finalized and approved. But this year Silver "announced" trades of picks in almost real time during the draft, and with some of them using verbiage saying these draft picks have been swapped in a deal to be finalized later. But it was only the picks - where they were headed - that got announced. I don't know why.

Thank you, that explains what I was wondering about! So theoretically a failed physical by Holmes or freak injury to O‘Max could still stop the trade because it can‘t be official yet. In reality it‘s a good thing because it gives us lots of time to expand the deal.
Like Reply
I couldn't resist re-posting this one.

brown tripuka @i2ohan
25m

Draft OMAX, sign Harrison Barnes next, resurrect the still beating brand of HBOMAX as your wing tandem
[-] The following 3 users Like Winter's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 06:13 PM)F Gump Wrote: Technically O'Max is not yet a Mav.

So on a technicality of the CBA the players under contract cannot be discussed by other team until the trade is official - tampering
However the player's draft rights do not "contract" them. The league is trying to adjust so that all of the photos are not of Luka wearing the Hawks hat and Trae wearing the Mavs'.
One of the best things about the NFL draft is "we have a trade to announce" unfortunately the league has a moratorium on the picks being traded the day of... until the pick is announced.

Some of those deals are held up by the Stepien rule - way to go Norm Sonju.
BTW speaking of Norms, Hitzges retired the morning after the draft - He was the latest of the Dallas media Mount Rushmore to retire: Sherrod, Galloway, Norm, Reiner, Brad Sham.
Like Reply
(06-27-2023, 06:59 PM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: So on a technicality of the CBA the players under contract cannot be discussed by other team until the trade is official - tampering
However the player's draft rights do not "contract" them. The league is trying to adjust so that all of the photos are not of Luka wearing the Hawks hat and Trae wearing the Mavs'.
One of the best things about the NFL draft is "we have a trade to announce" unfortunately the league has a moratorium on the picks being traded the day of... until the pick is announced.

Some of those deals are held up by the Stepien rule - way to go Norm Sonju.
BTW speaking of Norms, Hitzges retired the morning after the draft - He was the latest of the Dallas media Mount Rushmore to retire: Sherrod, Galloway, Norm, Reiner, Brad Sham.

Are you thinking of Dale Hansen?  Brad is still the Cowboys play by play man.
Like Reply
Well we have the annual Skin in fantasy land tweets:

https://twitter.com/skinwade/status/1673...52928?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A

Jeff Skin Wade (@SkinWade)
4/160
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1673...43553?s=20

John Gambadoro (@Gambo987)
@jedipenguin23 @Bickley_Marotta Yes Dallas had interest - In getting off Hardaway, whom Luka does not want to play with, and McGee. They did not offer Maxi Kleiber or the 10th pick. The trade was never going to happen.

Also did anyone else see this??? Gambo has been spot on with what the Suns are thinking. Which is why I look at the line "whom Lula does not want to play with" with a quite puzzled gaze.

Has there ever been any sort of dust up between Luka and Tim? Seems kind of out of nowhere thing to just say like that. Is he trying to stir the pot and get the Mavs riled up? Or is there some truth to what Gambo is saying? If it is true, it does sort of explain why the Mavs are so motivated to move off of a ~40% 3pt shooter on 8 attempts a game who statistically fits quite well next to Kyrie and Luka.

Seems like someone from PHX related this little tid bit of info to him. What's more interesting is trying to reason did this come from the Suns FO to try and stir shit up in Dallas, or did someone from Dallas say this to PHX during their negotiations and now they're leaking it
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/mavsfilmroom/status/...40865?s=46&t=Ofn9ihgBPdBFQJpnkEDS0A

Mavs Film Room ?? (@MavsFilmRoom)
Woj said on tonight’s Sportscenter that “the full expectation is that Kyrie returns to Dallas.”

He did not have specifics on years or numbers.

? @ESPNNBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
THJ SR was talking shit about Luka and Kyrie at the end of last season.  So maybe that's where this is coming from, assuming there is any truth to it.
Like Reply