Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
(06-18-2023, 08:40 AM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: It would be nice to get a younger center than Capela but trading from 10 to 15 and getting rid of Bertans is pretty cheap for a starting center.  He's signed for 2 more years and still in his 20s so you're not getting a completely washed DAJ and committed for 4 years.

Do you roll the dice on getting Naz Reid or Paul Reed for the taxpayer MLE and then giving them a starting role?  I doubt it.

DAJ was one year older than current Capela when the Mavs signed him. Counting stats and +/- are also comparable. Most noticable a big time decline when it comes key rim defense stats like DFGA, DFG% and blocks. Going along with career worst +/- numbers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Jakeospikez
Like Reply
Capela without touching #10? Maybe. But I would not want him at all if the lottery pick is involved. He’s clearly on the decline.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 12:16 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: DAJ was one year older than current Capela when the Mavs signed him. Counting stats and +/- are also comparable. Most noticable a big time decline when it comes key rim defense stats like DFGA, DFG% and blocks. Going along with career worst +/- numbers.

DAJ also heavily relied on athleticism to produce much more than Capela ever has in their respective careers

Not saying Capela is unathletic, but his footwork and positioning have always been the foundation to his success vs. using above the rim tactics to exert his will on the game.

One playstyle ages much better than the other. Not to say Capela won't regress, I just don't think it'd happen as soon and abruptly as DAJ.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • audiosway, Hypermav, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
Now that I think of it, the Mavs offense whenever DAJ was in the game was the absolute worst I've ever seen this team play in the Luka era. He literally couldn't do anything other than stand above the break and give Luka a screen handoff. Didn't really do anything else. Going to Capela is probably going to be similar. Negative handles, won't ever take anything that isn't a point blank paint shot. At least Powell does stuff in the short roll and takes an occasional 3 if the other team completely abandons him. This would be going backwards on offensive scheme for a marginal gain on defense/rebounding and this is not even considering he's on the decline. I'd rather have offense over defense (athletic limitations, not blown assignments/BBIQ issues) if I have to take one or the other. Probably an overreaction on addressing a weakness and not realizing it makes you weaker in other areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqcwUjXiGG0

These are highlights so only successful plays from their ECF run but you can watch around 30 seconds or so and you'll pretty much see the entire video. To me this is Zzzzz... boring even though Capela's gravity does have an impact. Wouldn't surprise me if the league figured out how to shut this down immediately after this run.

If he's a 1 year stopgap to buy time for a draft pick with more skill to take over it's no big deal. Should be a moveable expiring. Probably not going to enjoy watching the offense much while he's here starting though. I'd think the FO would be searching for more versatility in their players after all the complaining about the recent rosters though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jakeospikez's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
If ATL is moving up for Lively than the target should be Okongwu. The closest thing to Bam as a defensive 5 as their is in the league. Perfect fit.

Okongwu
Collins

for

Bertans
Mcgee
Bullock
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 12:54 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: DAJ also heavily relied on athleticism to produce much more than Capela ever has in their respective careers

Not saying Capela is unathletic, but his footwork and positioning have always been the foundation to his success vs. using above the rim tactics to exert his will on the game.

One playstyle ages much better than the other. Not to say Capela won't regress, I just don't think it'd happen as soon and abruptly as DAJ.

Maybe it won´t be a steep decline but if Capela is the target we should prepare ourselves for all out switch hunting. It´s already happening. Opposing teams play him off the floor. Just like in the playoffs this year. Capela barely played in the 4th quarter. Collins and/or Okongwu closed most games.
Would be hilarious to see the reactions on this board when the celebrated trade target of the summer ends up on the bench in the clutch and Kleber/Powell close games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 01:35 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Maybe it won´t be a steep decline but if Capela is the target we should prepare ourselves for all out switch hunting. It´s already happening. Opposing teams play him off the floor. Just like in the playoffs this year. Capela barely played in the 4th quarter. Collins and/or Okongwu closed most games.
Would be hilarious to see the reactions on this board when the celebrated trade target of the summer ends up on the bench in the clutch and Kleber/Powell close games.

As usual you are playing against an opponent that has perfect information on the player, while you have imperfect information.Yet you think you´ll outsmart them, when you cannot even properly evaluate your in house talent. They have proven that they will never be presssurized into a deal, they don´t view as a win, e.g. the John Collins saga.

Capela averaged 8.3/8.3 with 0.5 blocks against the Celtics in 25 MPG
Reed averaged 7.3/7.0 with 0.5 blocks against the Nets in 16 MPG
Reed averaged 8.0/10.5/2.0 with 1.0 blocks against the Celtics in 27 MPG in the first two games.

Very strangely the doofus in charge in Philly, Doc Rivers, only sporadically played Reid against Boston after the first two games, which Philly split.

You ask me there is a lot to suggest you are better off gambling on Paul Reed. Question is can you outbid Morey for a RFA here. Probably not. So offer him something in return.
Like Reply
FREE AGENCY TARGET?

I don't know if he's gettable for the full MLE, but he might, so I've decided my #1 target in free agency would be Bruce Brown. Denver can only pay him $8.1M (their max is 4 years/$35.1M), whereas a full MLE offer would be 4 years/52.5M. He has been a glue guy wherever he has played, and is still only 26. Raises his game in the playoffs. A slightly smaller DFS in my opinion.
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • Nowitzki Way, StepBackJay
Like Reply
Jarrett Allen is the same price, 4 years younger, is at the beginning of his prime, and a much better switching defender. Capela can and is often schemed off the court. Why on Earth pursue Capella over Allen? Hopefully it's a smoke screen.

(06-18-2023, 01:20 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: If ATL is moving up for Lively than the target should be Okongwu. The closest thing to Bam as a defensive 5 as their is in the league. Perfect fit.

Okongwu
Collins

for

Bertans
Mcgee
Bullock

They're shopping Capella because Okongwu is their future.  They're not trading him unless it's a high price.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 03:35 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Jarrett Allen is the same price

Says who? I would think that's bad info (and am not convinced Allen is even truly available at all).
[-] The following 2 users Like F Gump's post:
  • omahen, StepBackJay
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 03:35 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: Jarrett Allen is the same price, 4 years younger, is at the beginning of his prime, and a much better switching defender.  Capela can and is often schemed off the court.  Why on Earth pursue Capella over Allen?  Hopefully it's a smoke screen.

They're shopping Capella because Okongwu is their future.  They're not trading him unless it's a high price.

I’m not so sure. The rumored interest in Lively aside, they may be hesitant to pay Okongwu with Young, Murray, Hunter and others on big long term deals. Swapping Okongwu for 10 and getting off Collins wouldn’t be the worst plan.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 12:16 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: DAJ was one year older than current Capela when the Mavs signed him. Counting stats and +/- are also comparable. Most noticable a big time decline when it comes key rim defense stats like DFGA, DFG% and blocks. Going along with career worst +/- numbers.

DAJ had a negative defensive RAPTOR his last year at Clips. Capela is much better now than DAJ was then.
Like Reply
New Stein piece out.  Dallas was warned when it traded for Kyrie that Phoenix and LAL might try to poach him this summer.  Stein says Phoenix is out now and LA has shown no interest.  Houston is “considering” a run, but Kyrie is third on their list after Harden and FVV.  Miami is also a threat, but thought to more highly prioritize a run at Lillard should he hit the market.

Meanwhile, Dallas and Kyrie have been playing nice and saying all the right things.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 03:22 PM)F Gump Wrote: FREE AGENCY TARGET?

I don't know if he's gettable for the full MLE, but he might, so I've decided my #1 target in free agency would be Bruce Brown. Denver can only pay him $8.1M (their max is 4 years/$35.1M), whereas a full MLE offer would be 4 years/52.5M. He has been a glue guy wherever he has played, and is still only 26. Raises his game in the playoffs. A slightly smaller DFS in my opinion.

Brown said during the parade that "money isn't everything" and that he is almost certainly going to run it back. Malone made similar comments.

As much as I'd love Brown for a full MLE offer, I don't seriously think he's going to leave the Nuggets.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-18-2023, 11:33 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Brown said during the parade that "money isn't everything" and that he is almost certainly going to run it back. Malone made similar comments.

As much as I'd love Brown for a full MLE offer, I don't seriously think he's going to leave the Nuggets.

Perhaps. But the dollar difference is significant enough that I wouldn't take any of those comments in the afterglow of the moment at face value, until I talked to his agent about a deal.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • AgGiE1991
Like Reply
Just asking....Can you still offer no trade clauses? If so, lets don't tell Cuban.
Like Reply
edit...old link
Like Reply
I would like to extend a no-trade clause to Dwight Powell.
1 Year for the equivalent of the BAE - One Year Bird Eligible contracts automatically are NT eligible. (Player has to forfeit Bird Rights to accept a trade),
[-] The following 1 user Likes SkenfromLMF's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-19-2023, 10:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: edit...old link

The best part of that is Cuban admitting to offering Nelson a 10yr-66m extension. And they disagree on whether the offer was pulled or Nelson turned it down (As If!) and there is a text from Cuban referring to “that other matter.”

Just an absolute clown show. The extent to which these are clearly NOT SERIOUS People is maddening.
Like Reply
Question. I’ve heard a Josh Green extension could potentially cost $17 million per. He’s a nice player on his rookie contract, but does anyone expect the Mavs would actually pay market value, particularly if it approaches $20 million. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him traded.
Like Reply