Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Is Hurt, But is Trudging On | DLive's Mom Passes Away| Maxi OUT
(05-07-2024, 09:08 AM)mvossman Wrote: Thats a strange response.  To be clear, its not my opinion that they should have extended him, just that they were going to regardless of what happens in OKC.  Do you really think there is any chance at this point that they would want to fire Kid by the end of the season?  I'm not asking if you think they should, only if you think there is any chance given their current mindset that they would consider letting Kidd go and that this extension would have any impact on that decision.

Dude, I'm not questioning the fact that they extended him. I question the timing. You think now's the time. I happen to disagree. We move on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Marc J. Spears (@MarcJSpears)
“I didn’t want to be lost out here to the lifestyle, to the distractions, to a lot of the unrealistic expectations and the pressures that you put on yourself. So, yeah, I’m thankful I have Nico and J-Kidd in my life,” Mavs guard Kyrie Irving to @andscape
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
This may be a stupid question, but have the Mavs or Luka ever say what exactly is bothering Luka's knee? Is there a video that showed when he originally hurt it?

Maybe this has been reported. Is it a bruise? Tendonitis, Sore ligament or cartilage? Just curious.
Like Reply
(05-08-2024, 01:25 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This may be a stupid question, but have the Mavs or Luka ever say what exactly is bothering Luka's knee?  Is there a video that showed when he originally hurt it?

Maybe this has been reported.  Is it a bruise?  Tendonitis,  Sore ligament or cartilage?  Just curious.

I don´t think it was ever 100%, but in game three or four, I believe a Clippers player felll into the outside of his knee,bending it inwards,  causing a further knee sprain.
Like Reply
(05-08-2024, 01:29 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I don´t think it was ever 100%, but in game three or four, I believe a Clippers player felll into the outside of his knee,bending it inwards,  causing a further knee sprain.

So that was the play he left the game for a bit right and went to the lockerroom?  He wasn't moving great before that.  Was he dealing with something else before that.   He does looks a little bigger now than he did earlier in the season, but I am not sure I want to open that bag of goodies right now.   

It is a tad concerning that he is limping around like that game after game and if that is going to have any future impact.
Like Reply
(05-08-2024, 01:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: So that was the play he left the game for a bit right and went to the lockerroom?  He wasn't moving great before that.  Was he dealing with something else before that.   He does looks a little bigger now than he did earlier in the season, but I am not sure I want to open that bag of goodies right now.   

It is a tad concerning that he is limping around like that game after game and if that is going to have any future impact.

It's way more than a tad concerning, it's probably more serious than him or Kidd are letting on to.
Like Reply
(05-08-2024, 01:33 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: He does looks a little bigger now than he did earlier in the season, but I am not sure I want to open that bag of goodies right now.   

Its a sensitive topic around here, but I believe Bubble Luka is his ideal playing weight - he was pretty strong and agile at that playing weight
[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-08-2024, 07:54 PM)BolsDamols Wrote: Its a sensitive topic around here, but I believe Bubble Luka is his ideal playing weight - he was pretty strong and agile at that playing weight

Everyone agrees. Except for Luka, apparently. Maybe Kyrie can get through to him.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-08-2024, 01:29 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I don´t think it was ever 100%, but in game three or four, I believe a Clippers player felll into the outside of his knee,bending it inwards,  causing a further knee sprain.

I think he aggravated the injury during the clippers series but I believe the original injury was during the regular season (Kings 2 games?)

Also to Chicago; Kidd came out and said it was a knee sprain in a media session in the clipper series.
Like Reply
https://youtube.com/shorts/dNU4bTlTAjg?s...JsNAijvbgx
Like Reply
Repeating myself here, but I think there was a play during game 3 where Luka got knocked down with no whistle and Westbrook whipped his leg (did not look purposeful if I’m remembering right) think it was actually the game where Westbrook hit Luka after the whistle also and grabbed his arm before ejection. 

I tried to find the video of it to no avail.
Like Reply
(05-08-2024, 11:49 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Repeating myself here, but I think there was a play during game 3 where Luka got knocked down with no whistle and Westbrook whipped his leg (did not look purposeful if I’m remembering right) think it was actually the game where Westbrook hit Luka after the whistle also and grabbed his arm before ejection. 

I tried to find the video of it to no avail.

That was the big moment in the playoffs. Cato said that since that moment he's been 45-118 (38%) on shots  but he's been pretty hobbled even before that. Luka has legit never been in that shooting territory for his entire career. He's definitely more injured than the Mavs and even Luka himself are letting on. In December it was his hamstring, then sometime later they said his knee. 

He hasn't been healthy for a long time but Luka refuses to rest (despite the fact he's said rest would do nothing). I admire his gumption and love that he's doing everything he can to win. Unfortunately he just doesn't seem healthy enough right now and that's just unlucky.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 12:04 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: That was the big moment in the playoffs. Cato said that since that moment he's been 45-118 (38%) on shots  but he's been pretty hobbled even before that. Luka has legit never been in that shooting territory for his entire career. He's definitely more injured than the Mavs and even Luka himself are letting on. In December it was his hamstring, then sometime later they said his knee. 

He hasn't been healthy for a long time but Luka refuses to rest (despite the fact he's said rest would do nothing). I admire his gumption and love that he's doing everything he can to win. Unfortunately he just doesn't seem healthy enough right now and that's just unlucky.

I‘m starting to fear that Luka as an athlete isn’t build for a 100+ games season plus additional games in the summer, at least if he doesn‘t adopt the ascetic lifestyle that Dirk was practicing during the season all of a sudden. Jokic for example was also able to change his condition completely, for Luka it‘s much more up and down or even going in the wrong direction since he’s entered the league. Don‘t get me wrong, he isn’t lazy in his basketball skill development, he‘s getting better each and every year like Dirk did - I‘m talking strictly from a physical, athletic perspective.
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 03:56 AM)Knutsen Wrote: I‘m starting to fear that Luka as an athlete isn’t build for a 100+ games season plus additional games in the summer, at least if he doesn‘t adopt the ascetic lifestyle that Dirk was practicing during the season all of a sudden. Jokic for example was also able to change his condition completely, for Luka it‘s much more up and down or even going in the wrong direction since he’s entered the league. Don‘t get me wrong, he isn’t lazy in his basketball skill development, he‘s getting better each and every year like Dirk did - I‘m talking strictly from a physical, athletic perspective.

Luka came into this season well rested and in top shape and as far as I know his personal chef and conditioning coach were part of Mavs team whole season. I don't think any injury this season can be attributed to inferior preparation, athletic ability or ascetic lifestyle. Injuries happen and are part of the game. 

Totally other thing is the load that he needs to carry. I think no one is able to carry such a load without "paying a price" at some point in the season. Jokic that you mentioned is skipping national team competitions for several summers now and I am sure Luka will soon realize that he can't do everything if Mavs will have deep postseason runs. Luka was third in minutes per game this season and we know how much load he needs to carry, especially when Kyrie is not playing. There were several consecutive 40+ minutes game in the stretch where Kyrie was injured. At some point all that playing time connected with his overall usage takes a toll.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Mavs need to continue to build there team where Luka is not needed to carry the team on a Tuesday in February. Jokic is able to ease into the season. He still plays and plays hard at times, but he has games where he takes 10-12 shots but still impacts games. They also need to protect themselves from Luka and Kyrie missed games. Right now the roster is not set up for this. Hopefully with some tweaks and internal player development they can get to this stage.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Luka77
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 07:20 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Mavs need to continue to build there team where Luka is not needed to carry the team on a Tuesday in February.  Jokic is able to ease into the season.  He still plays and plays hard at times, but he has games where he takes 10-12 shots but still impacts games.  They also need to protect themselves from Luka and Kyrie missed games.  Right now the roster is not set up for this.  Hopefully with some tweaks and internal player development they can get to this stage.

Agreed. While trading for Washington and Gafford was a home run, they're not done with tweaking the roster.  The bigs aren't adept at creating their own shot, unless it's at the rim, ( this is where Maxi is missed) That could be problematic when facing bigs that score facing up. Their bench needs to improve. The other teams left in the playoffs benches are better with the possible exception of Denver.
Like Reply
There is some perspective here. It's really extraordinary how many injuries we have for these playoff teams. Listing everyone from Giannis all the way down now to Brunson and Anunoby is pretty shocking. The teams winning are the healthiest teams - Minnie and OKC, and (if KP comes back) maybe Boston.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 08:17 AM)Winter Wrote: There is some perspective here. It's really extraordinary how many injuries we have for these playoff teams. Listing everyone from Giannis all the way down now to Brunson and Anunoby is pretty shocking.  The teams winning are the healthiest teams - Minnie and OKC, and (if KP comes back) maybe Boston.

I get your point, but Denver is the exception to the rule. And the Lakers were healthy as well. We won a series of the wounded against the Clippers and the Nuggets one of the healthy against the Lakers.
Like Reply
Well I'm not sure I'd call Jamal Murray healthy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(05-09-2024, 07:32 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Agreed. While trading for Washington and Gafford was a home run, they're not done with tweaking the roster.  The bigs aren't adept at creating their own shot, unless it's at the rim, ( this is where Maxi is missed) That could be problematic when facing bigs that score facing up. Their bench needs to improve. The other teams left in the playoffs benches are better with the possible exception of Denver.

A little bit of numbers about benches of the remaining teams. I didn't complicate that due to injuries some players played some minutes as starters - counted all their stats as bench guys. In case of NY I didn't count Randle (out) as starter.

Team; bench salary; average bench minutes per game in playoffs; average bench points per game in playoffs
East:
Boston: bench salary: 28; bench minute per game: 81; bench points per game: 24
Cleveland: 49; 85; 22
Indy: 48; 66; 34
Knicks: 53; 50; 16 (30 mil in Bogi and Burks who don't play at all, most of the rest for Robinson. Number gets higher with Randle in and one of currect starters to the bench)

West:
Denver: 26; 48; 14
Minny: 45; 75; 39
OKC: 54; 77; 22 (31.5 mil of it is Hayward, who will play for much less money next season)
Dallas: 52; 75; 25

Dallas has third most expensive bench which will get more expensive when Greens new deal kicks in next season. Knicks and OKC are more expensive based on some bloated expiring deals. Looks like Minny and Indy are getting most from their bench. Boston bench is very decent based on the salaries invested. Contributing same numbers as twice as expensive Mavs bench.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply