Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
Mavs Film Room (@MavsFilmRoom)
“Earlier this week, when the Mavericks held an optional practice for low-minute players to get in some extra work on the morning after another road win in San Antonio, both Irving and Dončić unexpectedly attended the session and played in the pickup games.” -@TheSteinLine
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/noahweber00/status/1...0544237935

@noahweber00
A look at Dallas Mavericks rookie Olivier-Maxence Prosper’s last two games for the Texas Legends:

- 21.5 points per game
- 5 rebounds per game
- 3 assists per game
- 1 steal per game
- 47.1% shooting from three on 8.5 attempts per game
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/miss77ela/status/177...9296219161

This is one of the funniest videos of the season. Everyone vying for best dressed at Mavs Ball 2024.
Like Reply
(03-25-2024, 02:20 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://twitter.com/noahweber00/status/1...0544237935

@noahweber00
A look at Dallas Mavericks rookie Olivier-Maxence Prosper’s last two games for the Texas Legends:

- 21.5 points per game
- 5 rebounds per game
- 3 assists per game
- 1 steal per game
- 47.1% shooting from three on 8.5 attempts per game

I like how the Mavs have used the G-league for Omax.   Maybe other teams do this too and it is just Dallas never had young players or cared about the G-league previously.   They have gotten Omax game time with the G-league but also recall him where he is with the team when possible.    

I think he is probably a little further behind then they were expecting this offseason, but I love his makeup and his skillset is something this team needs.   I am really surprised he has shot over 40% from three in the G-league.   I thought he would be closer to 30 % this year.   Good for him.
Like Reply
(03-25-2024, 02:50 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I like how the Mavs have used the G-league for Omax.   Maybe other teams do this too and it is just Dallas never had young players or cared about the G-league previously.   They have gotten Omax game time with the G-league but also recall him where he is with the team when possible.    

I think he is probably a little further behind then they were expecting this offseason, but I love his makeup and his skillset is something this team needs.   I am really surprised he has shot over 40% from three in the G-league.   I thought he would be closer to 30 % this year.   Good for him.

I really agree.

Its been a real slow burn with OMax but thats probably for the best. I still think he needs as much NBA gametime as possible to really succeed, but its obvious he was a bit lost out there with the big boys. 

Next year with another offseason and training camp I'm really excited to see how he looks. My real question is where does he fit in the rotation because if OMax hits, he's the ideal 4 man we need.

Luka/Kyrie/PJ/OMax/Lively is a hell of a lineup.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • Scott41theMavs, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply

Incredible video if you have the time!
[-] The following 3 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • chaparral, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
Suns lose to the Spurs!

Now we just need the Kings to choke against the 76ers.
Like Reply
(03-25-2024, 03:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Incredible video if you have the time!

Thanks for posting.  Not sure who the voters are but Luka complaining to the Ref's all the time is probably hurting his chances for getting this award.  Heck, I still see Cuban getting on the court during games - not a good look...
[-] The following 1 user Likes chaparral's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-25-2024, 10:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Suns lose to the Spurs!

Now we just need the Kings to choke against the 76ers.

You jinxed it.

The good thing about THJ playing big minutes tonight is that hopefully it gave the other guys enough of a rest that they'll be able to make life hard for Sacramento tomorrow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(03-25-2024, 11:35 PM)chaparral Wrote: Thanks for posting.  Not sure who the voters are but Luka complaining to the Ref's all the time is probably hurting his chances for getting this award.  Heck, I still see Cuban getting on the court during games - not a good look...

Honestly I just think it's because Luka really did set the bar too high too soon. He's a generational player. He's so good everyone assumes he's going to win anyways and if he doesn't always perform to that level all the time he gets dinged more than other guys who are worse. 

Luka will hopefully have a big playoffs and the media will have the biggest egg on their face for not recognizing Luka more. Can't wait.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 01:15 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Honestly I just think it's because Luka really did set the bar too high too soon. He's a generational player. He's so good everyone assumes he's going to win anyways and if he doesn't always perform to that level all the time he gets dinged more than other guys who are worse. 

Luka will hopefully have a big playoffs and the media will have the biggest egg on their face for not recognizing Luka more. Can't wait.

I think it’s because Russell Westbrook, James Hardin.
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...5336592603

19 and 19 with five blocks combined last night.   I think it is safe to say the Mavs don't win that game last night if we didn't have Gafford.   

Really interested to see how we match up with Sabonis tonight.  He is a handful.
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 09:42 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://twitter.com/MavsFilmRoom/status/...5336592603

19 and 19 with five blocks combined last night.   I think it is safe to say the Mavs don't win that game last night if we didn't have Gafford.   

Really interested to see how we match up with Sabonis tonight.  He is a handful.

two things that have really impressed me with Gafford.  One, is he always plays hard.   At that to Lively and you have two centers who don't care about touches but always play hard.   

Second, Gafford has great hands and the strength to finish through contact.   A lot of these big guys really struggle if they can't dunk it.   Gafford catches almost everything and really finishes well even if cannot dunk it.  It causes so many problems needing to deal with him on the offensive glass or rim running, but also him getting position in the lane for a basket at the rim.   

I think having a consistent corner three is the next checkmark.  If we can do that, then defenses need to choose between Luka getting into the paint, a big guy at the rim or a wide open corner three.
[-] The following 5 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, michaeltex, rocky164, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/jkubatko/status/1772609615856898207

Gafford's last ten games.
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 10:33 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://twitter.com/jkubatko/status/1772609615856898207

Gafford's last ten games.

He has been great since starting.  That seems to be a trend this entire season.  Our starting centers play well, but the bench center tends to struggle.  Even Powell looked good for most of his 8 starts.  The only exception to this rule has been the PJ/Maxi small ball lineups, which have been great.
Like Reply
A good read.

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2024/03...heir-soul/
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 10:41 AM)mvossman Wrote: He has been great since starting.  That seems to be a trend this entire season.  Our starting centers play well, but the bench center tends to struggle.  Even Powell looked good for most of his 8 starts.  The only exception to this rule has been the PJ/Maxi small ball lineups, which have been great.

Net rating

Doncic/Gafford +9.0
Irving/Gafford -0.1

Doncic/Lively +6.5
Irving/Lively +3.6

Irving/Powell +9.2
Doncic/Powell +0.5

Irving/Kleber +9.4
Doncic/Kleber +7.4

Matches the eyetest. Rim running bigs are at their best when they play next to Luka. Spam high pick and roll on offense and get easy lob/dunk/layup attempts. Powell isn't as athletic as he used to be but he had some great games where he was used as a high post playmaker. Better fit next to an off ball threat like Kyrie.
Kleber is the unicorn. Probably not fair to include him because he is the only big that plays in twin tower lineups. Not always the primary screener on offense. Rim protector on defense.
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
Latest from Iztok

https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2024/03...heir-soul/

For someone who has closely followed and covered the Mavericks ever since they drafted Luka Dončić in 2018, I am having a hard time comprehending the team we’ve been watching since the trade deadline. For five years, we observed various iterations of the same template: a relatively small team with some shooting around Dončić’s otherworldly talents, which enabled him to function as a methodical half-court surgeon. They played deliberate basketball, spreading out opponents by playing five-out, pick-and-rolling defenses to death, and punishing any collapse on Dončić by hitting a ton of threes.

Now, however, we’re in uncharted territory. Over the last 19 games, we’ve watched something entirely different: a team winning with size and speed instead of precision and patience. A team that feasts at the rim, rather than bombing from downtown. A team that almost broke the rims in the American Airlines Center last Thursday when it blew out the Utah Jazz, 113-97, while putting up a franchise-record 18 dunks.

While this new brand of basketball is undoubtedly more entertaining to watch, the logical question is: how far can this new style take the Mavs?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 10:41 AM)mvossman Wrote: He has been great since starting.  That seems to be a trend this entire season.  Our starting centers play well, but the bench center tends to struggle.  Even Powell looked good for most of his 8 starts.  The only exception to this rule has been the PJ/Maxi small ball lineups, which have been great.

There's probably a correlation between "starting" and "playing most of your minutes with Luka."
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL, rocky164
Like Reply
(03-26-2024, 09:52 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think having a consistent corner three is the next checkmark.  If we can do that, then defenses need to choose between Luka getting into the paint, a big guy at the rim or a wide open corner three.

Absolutely. Washington, Hardaway and Kleber (along with a hopefully healthy and confident Green) MUST be threats from deep for this thing to scare anyone.
Like Reply