Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
(03-22-2024, 07:43 AM)F Gump Wrote: Taking things one step further, I don't accept the premise that the Mavs default position for this summer is being under the probable $171.4-ish M tax line. Even without DJJ and Hardy, their salary total is already sitting at that tax line with only 12 players (and having a roster with less than 14 is generally not permitted). And keeping Hardy is a no-brainer anyhow. 

While I think THJ gets traded (if they can), it's not likely to be with no salary in return. I can see him traded in a package for close to similar salary (in total), and a target of better fit(s) in return. There's not really room for a trade for higher salary, under the new rules, if they want to use the TxMLE or either of their TPEs.

As for DJJ, is he keepable for the TxMLE? That's the best they can do, and I would think they would try to persuade him to return with a 1 yr + player option deal, which would open the door to "up to early-Bird" money (ie, up to about $12M or so) in 2025. There's value in offering "the most we are allowed to offer."

Their limit? I think their practical limit ends up the 2nd apron. That allows them to make such a swap if they can find it, but still use the taxpayer MLE (about 5.2M), keep Hardy, perhaps use one or both TPE's, and fill the roster, with some room to spare.

I agree with all of this. As for your THJ trade options…I had a random thought last night that maybe Nico tries the SnT route with Paul George. He doesn’t fit the age timeline and has a long injury history but it feels like a Nico move. Does a package of THJ+Green+Maxi+Pick make sense for everyone?

KAI - Exum
Luka - Hardy
PG13 - DJJ
PJW - Omax
Lively - Gafford
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 09:52 AM)Smitty Wrote: I agree with all of this. As for your THJ trade options…I had a random thought last night that maybe Nico tries the SnT route with Paul George. He doesn’t fit the age timeline and has a long injury history but it feels like a Nico move. Does a package of THJ+Green+Maxi+Pick make sense for everyone?

KAI - Exum
Luka - Hardy
PG13 - DJJ
PJW - Omax
Lively - Gafford

I feel like a lot of things have low key pointing to this potentially happening. The quotes from Kyrie when he resigned about players “who will be available in a year or two” and if Clippers were going to give PG what he wants it would be done by now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
“Pelicans' Brandon Ingram has suffered a bone contusion in his left knee. Fortunate diagnosis for New Orleans and its star forward avoiding serious injury, but Ingram is expected to miss at least two weeks.”

#4 LAC 43-25      -
#5 NOP 42-27  1.5GB
#6 DAL 41-29    3GB
#7 PHX 41-29    3GB
#8 SAC 40-29   3.5GB

Pelicans Schedule. #9 SOS .522
@ MIA
@ DET
vs OKC
vs MIL
vs BOS
vs PHX
vs ORL
vs SAS
@ PHX
@ POR
@ SAC
@ GSW (b2b)
@ LAL

Mavs Schedule. #22 SOS .422
@ UTAH
@ SAC (b2b)
@ SAC
@ HOU
@ GSW
vs ATL
vs GSW (b2b)
vs HOU
@ CHA
@ MIA (b2b)
vs DET
@ OKC

Suns Schedule. #2 SOS .574
@ SAS
@ SAS
@ DEN
@ OKC
@ NOP
vs CLE
vs MIN
vs NOP
vs LAC
@ LAC (b2b)
@ SAC
@ MIN

Kings Schedule. #3 SOS .562
@ ORL
vs PHI
vs DAL (b2b)
vs DAL
vs UTAH
vs LAC
@ NYK
@ BOS (b2b)
@ BKN
@ OKC
vs NOP
vs PHX (b2b)
vs POR

This finish is going to be fascinating to watch. Can the Mavs get to 5? The Pelicans without Ingram for at least two weeks makes it seem plausible. Do we even want the Mavs to jump up to 5? That probably sets up a first round matchup with the Clippers and if you’re fortunate to win that series you probably get the defending champs in round 2.

There’s certainly no easy road in the West but my ideal scenario is still Denver finishing 1 and Dallas 6, keeping them on the OKC/MIN side of the bracket. But a run of LAC - DEN - OKC - BOS championship would rival the 2011 one as the greatest ever.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 10:25 AM)Smitty Wrote: “Pelicans' Brandon Ingram has suffered a bone contusion in his left knee. Fortunate diagnosis for New Orleans and its star forward avoiding serious injury, but Ingram is expected to miss at least two weeks.”

#4 LAC 43-25      -
#5 NOP 42-27  1.5GB
#6 DAL 41-29    3GB
#7 PHX 41-29    3GB
#8 SAC 40-29   3.5GB

This finish is going to be fascinating to watch. Can the Mavs get to 5? The Pelicans without Ingram for at least two weeks makes it seem plausible. Do we even want the Mavs to jump up to 5? That probably sets up a first round matchup with the Clippers and if you’re fortunate to win that series you probably get the defending champs in round 2.

There’s certainly no easy road in the West but my ideal scenario is still Denver finishing 1 and Dallas 6, keeping them on the OKC/MIN side of the bracket. But a run of LAC - DEN - OKC - BOS championship would rival the 2011 one as the greatest ever.

Heard this morning that Heuter has a shoulder dislocation and labrum tear. Is out until at least April 2nd. So games with DAL will be without a key SAC player.

Is one of the SAC games a makeup from earlier this year?
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 01:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've rewatched this play maybe 50 times now. There is no twist of the ankle. Barely any contact really. PJ literally steps on DJJ's foot at a slight downward angle for maybe a split second and instantly comes up limping. I fear a broken toe/foot based on how instant that pain was. Even on the bench where the trainer was pressing down, it was around the mid foot area, not ankle. 

I really REALLY hope I'm wrong. 

Even this statement is making me think they're going send him to get x-rays and see what they say.

I know we didn’t get an update today but for what it’s worth PJ just showed up to the Mavs ball without a boot or anything like that which I take as a good sign.
[-] The following 2 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • MFFL, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
'It's hard to get back': How Dante Exum returned to the NBA and found success with Luka Dončić and the Mavs

https://sports.yahoo.com/its-hard-to-get...ccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaG9vcHNydW1vcnMuY29tLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAH9WWgWWgGlGzAynbb4JYCg8hUWZdiGSEJtbocCH9f6y3WhBksXbYkTowVow964Xj5j0T-IQvYd4z6PYUQ_Y5FxNe2oaXy1zafYuf4YMTFGZakJIFdtKDRoQhk2TYqLJ4O6TZxSD0HtYVZhd_8hl-XeH2eaCj5wC2YXDSxnJ53df
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 08:11 PM)StrandedOnBeauboisHill Wrote: I know we didn’t get an update today but for what it’s worth PJ just showed up to the Mavs ball without a boot or anything like that which I take as a good sign.

I just saw the tweet in question.

He definitely looks fine. Hopefully he is ok. Perhaps I overreacted. A rare occurrence on the internet to be fair. 

https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...6789725251
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@DorothyJGentry
Watch Kyrie Irving and Mark Cuban bid against each other for a 5-day trip to Luka Doncic hometown of Slovenia and more- then Luka sweetens the deal!

They both won with bids of $77,000 each to benefit #Mavs charities. #MFFL

https://twitter.com/DorothyJGentry/statu...1858255878
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
[Image: GJUmrmsWsAAvN4m?format=jpg&name=large]
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Reunion Mav
Like Reply
Ok I must admit I have a center fetish. I certainly understand there may be some teams where we get exposed a little bit, but I find myself the next day after a game of watching the highlights of both Lively and Gafford on YouTube. I haven’t been doing that with anyone else. Just seeing dunk after dunk out a smile on my face. Amazing that in the past we had one guy who would occasionally make impressive dunks.

It is way early, but just imagine if Hardy becomes a player and if Omax figures it out. If so, Nico is quietly cooking despite some moves that I have disagreed with.
Like Reply
(03-23-2024, 09:05 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Ok I must admit I have a center fetish.  I certainly understand there may be some teams where we get exposed a little bit, but I find myself the next day after a game of watching the highlights of both Lively and Gafford on YouTube.  I haven’t been doing that with anyone else.  Just seeing dunk after dunk out a smile on my face.  Amazing that in the past we had one guy who would occasionally make impressive dunks.

It is way early, but just imagine if Hardy becomes a player and if Omax figures it out.  If so, Nico is quietly cooking despite some moves that I have disagreed with.

DJJ and PJ make dunks too.
Like Reply
At this point we are just waiting for Luka dunk.
They have a sense of greatness about them at the moment.
Lively could still turn into Ayton in future years, but the way they are built (with tweaks) if feels like 2026,27,28,29, Mavs could be a dynasty, rivaling Wemby and Spurs.
I trust Gm a little more after this year.I am not sure about Kidd. Mavs need more team basketball. They should be around 55 win next year. Hope for the best.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bodhisattva's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
Green can fly-slamma-jamma too
Like Reply
[Image: cs6xvesjvwpc1.png]

Mavs with the 5th best offensive efficiency, 8-9th on defense!
Like Reply
(03-23-2024, 11:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: [Image: cs6xvesjvwpc1.png]

Mavs with the 5th best offensive efficiency, 8-9th on defense!

I might've been wrong to be so dismissive of the idea that Mosely could be Carlisle's successor. A), the Mavs ended up with Jason Kidd, and B), who knew he would get Orlando playing such good defense so quickly?
Like Reply
Aaaand just like that, without playing a game themselves, the Mavs are back down to 8th in the West.

These next three games are very crucial to their postseason fate, especially since the chances of losing at least one of the Houston games appear to be extremely high.
Like Reply
https://x.com/TexasLegends/status/177174...82916?s=20

Texas Legends (@TexasLegends)
"This time I've been in the G has been really good for me. I get a lot of reps, my confidence increases and I feel really good about my shot right now." - @dallasmavs O-Max

REALLY great interview from OMax. Must watch imo.
Like Reply
(03-23-2024, 01:10 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I just saw the tweet in question.

He definitely looks fine. Hopefully he is ok. Perhaps I overreacted. A rare occurrence on the internet to be fair. 

https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...6789725251

Just one more follow up on this is Kidd said Josh is currently the only player on the injury report (and is out of the boot). Good news for PJ.
Like Reply
Damn the Ignite went 2-30, despite John Jenkins shooting nearly 50/50/100 for the season. Big Grin  That dude must have the worst agent or behaviour in the world that he can´t land any decent contracts longevity anywhere (NBA, Europe, China, Australia) with his shooting ability. Yeah I know he´s sh*t on defense, but nobody can be too sh*tty for defense in China and he lasted four weeks there. Undecided
Like Reply
(03-24-2024, 12:05 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: https://x.com/TexasLegends/status/177174...82916?s=20

Texas Legends (@TexasLegends)
"This time I've been in the G has been really good for me. I get a lot of reps, my confidence increases and I feel really good about my shot right now." - @dallasmavs O-Max

REALLY great interview from OMax. Must watch imo.

I have always felt that Omax's time in the G league was exactly what he needed. I don't think any rookie player is served well by being thrown into playing time in a way that looks like team desperation. The Mavs don't need a struggling rookie in the rotation. We got lucky with Lively because we truly had a serious need at the position. That wasn't necessary for Omax. We can afford to let Omax grow and he'll get a lot more playing time where he is. I think it's the best situation for him. I suspect he'll be ready with one more training camp under his belt.
Like Reply