Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 3.63 Average
MAVS NEWS: Luka Wins Community Cares Award! | DLive's Mom Passes Away
Looking at BB Reference, DAL has most of the core group under contract for next season with the only significant unsigned player as DJJ. Based on his performance so far, I think he will be looking for something more than the vet minimum he's no now.

Without DJJ and without Hardy's non-guaranteed contract, DAL is just under the projected LT for next season by roughly $7.5MM. 

Given the Salary Cap Projections and MLEs, which are complicated enough to make my head hurt, Is it possible to keep the gang together for another year?

I feel like there will be less angst this summer about FA acqusitions and trades if this proves to be a team with growth potential if given a little time and am looking for some of the salary cap experts' input.
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 11:47 AM)Smitty Wrote: https://x.com/coopmavs/status/1770489740623544665?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

If you've wondered where the Mavs would find a third scoring threat, they just may have found it...In their center combo of Lively & Gafford. In 7 games since the lineup change those two have combined for 25.4 pts on 82.6 FG%. Throw in 13.3 rebs and 3.29 Blks just for fun

Wow that is amazing.  I did not know the numbers were so high.  I am so glad they are leaning into this.   It may not work against every opponent, but if you are getting 20 plus points on high percentage shooting, it certainly helps.   Especially when you are playing with a superstar who will get the most out of these centers.
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 12:43 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Wow that is amazing.  I did not know the numbers were so high.  I am so glad they are leaning into this.   It may not work against every opponent, but if you are getting 20 plus points on high percentage shooting, it certainly helps.   Especially when you are playing with a superstar who will get the most out of these centers.

It's nice to see the move Kidd made to start Gafford next to PJW is paying off so far.

Basically, Gafford + PJW is excellent. Gafford + Maxi is very bad.
Then with Lively + Maxi it's excellent. Lively + PJW is bad.
Small-ball is still an excellent wrinkle with Maxi + PJW.

The rotation looks good to me and they still have Green coming back before playoffs but the decision to start Gafford to set up the rest and then keeping Exum in that "Dinwiddie role" off the bench has been perfect. Credit to DJJ for making that decision easier! 

The closing lineup isn't quite set and that's why we've seen different guys close. It's not necessarily a good thing to not have a go-to closing group but the fact that Kidd has options each night, depending on the performance of the "other three" up to that point can be a good thing.

This is the first time in a long time that the Mavs have the personnel to dictate matchups and/or adjust to others.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 01:02 PM)Smitty Wrote: It's nice to see the move Kidd made to start Gafford next to PJW is paying off so far.

Basically, Gafford + PJW is excellent. Gafford + Maxi is very bad.
Then with Lively + Maxi it's excellent. Lively + PJW is bad.
Small-ball is still an excellent wrinkle with Maxi + PJW.

The rotation looks good to me and they still have Green coming back before playoffs but the decision to start Gafford to set up the rest and then keeping Exum in that "Dinwiddie role" off the bench has been perfect. Credit to DJJ for making that decision easier! 

The closing lineup isn't quite set and that's why we've seen different guys close. It's not necessarily a good thing to not have a go-to closing group but the fact that Kidd has options each night, depending on the performance of the "other three" up to that point can be a good thing.

This is the first time in a long time that the Mavs have the personnel to dictate matchups and/or adjust to others.

Yeah, I have to admit that the Gafford part of that exchange is working better than I expected. For one thing, he sets REALLY physical screens, and I think that's setting a tone of physicality early. 

I still don't love it, because I think Lively is the better player and I think he should play the most minutes. Knowing that one of them is often not going to finish games (and sometimes, even the first half), it seems like the guy coming off of the bench is going to get short-changed a bit. Also, I feel like whichever one plays the most with Luka is going to look better with the stats. That could be a case to start either (because Gafford off the bench wasn't really working, imo) but I just hate the idea of stunting anything about Lively's growth. He's so special, defensively.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 01:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I have to admit that the Gafford part of that exchange is working better than I expected. For one thing, he sets REALLY physical screens, and I think that's setting a tone of physicality early. 

I still don't love it, because I think Lively is the better player and I think he should play the most minutes. Knowing that one of them is often not going to finish games (and sometimes, even the first half), it seems like the guy coming off of the bench is going to get short-changed a bit. Also, I feel like whichever one plays the most with Luka is going to look better with the stats. That could be a case to start either (because Gafford off the bench wasn't really working, imo) but I just hate the idea of stunting anything about Lively's growth. He's so special, defensively.

I agree with every word.

I have a very small belief that part of this is that Kidd is coaching for his life at the moment, future be damned. And Gafford is slightly better at some things; strength, finishing and rebounding. People will argue till the end of time if rebounding has a big impact on winning or not and it's not really a discussion I'm interested in because I don't have a strong opinion either way. 

Lively is absolutely the better overall player and I don't think anyone that watches every game like we do would argue differently.

I think you're right when you say it now and every time you've said it before, that Maxi will be the one closing most games at the 5 in the playoffs.

I just find it refreshing that the Mavs now have other ways to win and matchup with all the different teams. I still think the ceiling for this team in the playoffs depends on the play from the "FOUR". I think we'll get 48 minutes of good defense with a combination of PJ, Maxi, DJJ but what they give you on the other side of the ball will be the difference in a game/series/championship.
[-] The following 3 users Like Smitty's post:
  • ballsrchr, KillerLeft, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 11:47 AM)Smitty Wrote: https://x.com/coopmavs/status/1770489740623544665?s=46&t=4w35gotNXtBJnqxbaL7e9w

If you've wondered where the Mavs would find a third scoring threat, they just may have found it...In their center combo of Lively & Gafford. In 7 games since the lineup change those two have combined for 25.4 pts on 82.6 FG%. Throw in 13.3 rebs and 3.29 Blks just for fun

I have been saying this for years.... get 2x athletic, mobile, rim-running, rim-protecting Centers instead of the muppet king clowns Dwight, Boban, Javale, etc... and they will give the Mavs 20-25 PPG while providing a whole lot more on defense too. 

Anyway, the Mavs really should be getting a total of 20-25 PPG each from the PF and SG positions too. And another 10-15 points in total from Luka's and Kyrie's backups at SF and PG respectively.

20-25 from C
+ 20-25 PPG from PF
+ 20-25 PPG from SG
+ 10-15 PPG from Luka and Kyrie backups

= 70-90 PPG from players not named Luka and Kyrie, while those players also give better defense than THJ.
Like Reply
@dallasmavs
It’s what he does

@Luka7doncic
recorded his 18th TD of the year, breaking his own franchise record for the most triple-doubles in a single season.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 08:11 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Yeah, I think we would be all surprised how good even fringe NBA players are.   Put most in an open gym and they will hit an impressive amount of open threes in a row.  I remember as a kid seeing Sean Rooks (Former Mav) and he was making threes left handed at a practice I was at.
This.

And for Centers it's even harder to be allowed to shoot from outside, as they are usually tasked to get close to the basket. Thus, to justify changing the responsibilities of the other players on the court, they have to be able to shoot a somewhat respectable percentage against real game defense. Open 3s is just not the same as contested ones.

But that said, I can't believe the coaches don't try to get him there, as he seems to have the potential. And if he does...watch out!
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 12:14 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Looking at BB Reference, DAL has most of the core group under contract for next season with the only significant unsigned player as DJJ. Based on his performance so far, I think he will be looking for something more than the vet minimum he's no now.

Without DJJ and without Hardy's non-guaranteed contract, DAL is just under the projected LT for next season by roughly $7.5MM. 

Given the Salary Cap Projections and MLEs, which are complicated enough to make my head hurt, Is it possible to keep the gang together for another year?

I feel like there will be less angst this summer about FA acqusitions and trades if this proves to be a team with growth potential if given a little time and am looking for some of the salary cap experts' input.

If you assume as I do that the LT is a hard no unless it’s a temporary way to land another star, then your question answers itself. But you’d have to think trading an expiring Timmy this summer won’t prove as difficult as it has the past couple years. (That’s one reason to keep playing him ahead of Hardy, in my view. A couple hot games in the playoffs could affect his value pretty significantly. And history says that’s not unlikely.)
Pessimism doesn’t make you smart, just pessimistic.
[-] The following 2 users Like The Jom's post:
  • Reunion Mav, WillE
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/17...2844891212

8 years ago today Dirk had his last 40th point game against the Blazers. I still remember this game.

It's also mind blowing to me how commonplace 40pt games are now because Luka is that good.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 02:35 PM)The Jom Wrote: If you assume as I do that the LT is a hard no unless it’s a temporary way to land another star, then your question answers itself. But you’d have to think trading an expiring Timmy this summer won’t prove as difficult as it has the past couple years. (That’s one reason to keep playing him ahead of Hardy, in my view. A couple hot games in the playoffs could affect his value pretty significantly. And history says that’s not unlikely.)

Not sure why the assumption would be LT is hard no?  We would have gone into LT for Thybulle last offseason, and now that we have reset repeater there is less reason to avoid it. 

Timmy’s primary value this coming offseason will be as an expiring contract and I doubt a couple of hot games is going to change that. He had a great first half of season and it didn’t help his market value enough
Like Reply
(03-20-2024, 02:35 PM)The Jom Wrote: If you assume as I do that the LT is a hard no unless it’s a temporary way to land another star, then your question answers itself. But you’d have to think trading an expiring Timmy this summer won’t prove as difficult as it has the past couple years. (That’s one reason to keep playing him ahead of Hardy, in my view. A couple hot games in the playoffs could affect his value pretty significantly. And history says that’s not unlikely.)

I don’t believe that the luxury tax is a hard no anymore. I think that is one of the primary factors behind the recent sale of the team’s majority stake.

I hope they will avoid paying it frivolously and without cause, of course, because of the competitive ramifications. But it is obvious that the top teams will continue to be in the tax, so that is where the Mavericks need to be at some point.
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 10:18 AM)mvossman Wrote: Timmy’s primary value this coming offseason will be as an expiring contract and I doubt a couple of hot games is going to change that. He had a great first half of season and it didn’t help his market value enough

I'm interested in swapping Kyrie for Dejounte, as I think the Mavs will get an additional something back from this swap.

They could then take that additional something, and send it along with THJ and whatever else may be needed to Detroit for Grimes and Fontecchio.

G: Dejounte, Exum
G: Grimes, Green, Hardy
F: Luka, Fontecchio, DJJ
F: PJ, Kleber, O-max
C: Lively, Gafford

How does this team look?

Interesting small-ball lineup that could be used on occasion: Green, Grimes, Fonte, Luka, PJ.
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 04:19 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I'm interested in swapping Kyrie for Dejounte, as I think the Mavs will get an additional something back from this swap.

They could then take that additional something, and send it along with THJ and whatever else may be needed to Detroit for Grimes and Fontecchio.

G: Dejounte, Exum
G: Grimes, Green, Hardy
F: Luka, Fontecchio, DJJ
F: PJ, Kleber, O-max
C: Lively, Gafford

How does this team look?

Interesting small-ball lineup that could be used on occasion: Green, Grimes, Fonte, Luka, PJ.

Zero chance the Mavs move Kyrie.
[-] The following 4 users Like BigDirk41's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 04:19 PM)RGP1981 Wrote: I'm interested in swapping Kyrie for Dejounte

No
[-] The following 3 users Like MFFL's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Reunion Mav, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 03:43 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don’t believe that the luxury tax is a hard no anymore. I think that is one of the primary factors behind the recent sale of the team’s majority stake.

I hope they will avoid paying it frivolously and without cause, of course, because of the competitive ramifications. But it is obvious that the top teams will continue to be in the tax, so that is where the Mavericks need to be at some point.

I agree. This team will be a tax payer going forward. The biggest decisions will be if/when they exceed the first and/or second apron as those come with some real inhibitors.
Like Reply
Noah Weber (@noahweber00)
Jason Kidd said P.J. Washington stepped on someone’s foot at the end of the game and he will have an injury update on him tomorrow.
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 01:42 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Noah Weber (@noahweber00)
Jason Kidd said P.J. Washington stepped on someone’s foot at the end of the game and he will have an injury update on him tomorrow.

I've rewatched this play maybe 50 times now. There is no twist of the ankle. Barely any contact really. PJ literally steps on DJJ's foot at a slight downward angle for maybe a split second and instantly comes up limping. I fear a broken toe/foot based on how instant that pain was. Even on the bench where the trainer was pressing down, it was around the mid foot area, not ankle. 

I really REALLY hope I'm wrong. 

Even this statement is making me think they're going send him to get x-rays and see what they say.
Like Reply
(03-21-2024, 06:00 PM)Smitty Wrote: I agree. This team will be a tax payer going forward. The biggest decisions will be if/when they exceed the first and/or second apron as those come with some real inhibitors.

Taking things one step further, I don't accept the premise that the Mavs default position for this summer is being under the probable $171.4-ish M tax line. Even without DJJ and Hardy, their salary total is already sitting at that tax line with only 12 players (and having a roster with less than 14 is generally not permitted). And keeping Hardy is a no-brainer anyhow. 

While I think THJ gets traded (if they can), it's not likely to be with no salary in return. I can see him traded in a package for close to similar salary (in total), and a target of better fit(s) in return. There's not really room for a trade for higher salary, under the new rules, if they want to use the TxMLE or either of their TPEs.

As for DJJ, is he keepable for the TxMLE? That's the best they can do, and I would think they would try to persuade him to return with a 1 yr + player option deal, which would open the door to "up to early-Bird" money (ie, up to about $12M or so) in 2025. There's value in offering "the most we are allowed to offer."

Their limit? I think their practical limit ends up the 2nd apron. That allows them to make such a swap if they can find it, but still use the taxpayer MLE (about 5.2M), keep Hardy, perhaps use one or both TPE's, and fill the roster, with some room to spare.
[-] The following 7 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MFFL, mvossman, Reunion Mav, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(03-22-2024, 01:55 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I've rewatched this play maybe 50 times now. There is no twist of the ankle. Barely any contact really. PJ literally steps on DJJ's foot at a slight downward angle for maybe a split second and instantly comes up limping. I fear a broken toe/foot based on how instant that pain was. Even on the bench where the trainer was pressing down, it was around the mid foot area, not ankle. 

I really REALLY hope I'm wrong. 

Even this statement is making me think they're going send him to get x-rays and see what they say.

Ya he looked pretty uncomfortable. I’m bracing myself for bad news but hopefully it was nothing.
Like Reply