Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/sixers-t...40419.html

Could this be Tobias Harris's last year in Philly?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1781035207090462844

Potential fallout if the Bucks lose to the Pacers?
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 06:26 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://twitter.com/TommyBeer/status/178...2283580648

Jalen Brunson finished the 23-24 season with....

He's become a genuine superstar.  Although I remain angry with Cuban for letting him walk, I don't think any of us anticipated he would be become a top-10 player in the entire NBA.

He is, indeed, a big Luka too.
[-] The following 5 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • fifteenth, HoosierDaddyKid, MFFL, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 08:37 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: He's become a genuine superstar.  Although I remain angry with Cuban for letting him walk, I don't think any of us anticipated he would be become a top-10 player in the entire NBA.

In some completely trash World where money and decisions are the only thing of value...

The Adelson kid would come in and interview, investigate and interrogate all Mavs middle and upper management to find out which highly paid managers did not see Jalen's stardom...and fire them immediately.
Like Reply
(04-18-2024, 11:24 PM)The Jom Wrote: Drummond is a huge Luka!

We're bringing bits and shenanigans back to our little message board!!!!!!
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 08:37 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: He's become a genuine superstar.  Although I remain angry with Cuban for letting him walk, I don't think any of us anticipated he would be become a top-10 player in the entire NBA.

Good for JB! I can't say that I thought he'd be top 10, but he made it clear in the playoffs with the Mavs that he would be really, really good. But he really wanted his own team. And it seems like it took the 2023 season for the Mavs to figure out that it would be good to have a little big Luka next to The big Luka.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 06:33 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/sixers-t...40419.html

They hate him more than we hate THJ. He’s definitely one.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 09:29 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Good for JB! I can't say that I thought he'd be top 10, but he made it clear in the playoffs with the Mavs that he would be really, really good. But he really wanted his own team. And it seems like it took the 2023 season for the Mavs to figure out that it would be good to have a little big Luka next to The big Luka.

I don't think Brunson wanted to stay under Luka shadow and it was clear that he was better as the primary ball handler than off ball next to Luka.  The real mistake on the Mavs side was to not max extend him when they (supposedly) had the chance.  He would have been a significant asset (although he never would have reached the value he has now).  In that scenario we maybe come out of it with Quickley, Grimes and our first back instead of watching him walk for nothing.

Who knows, maybe in that scenario we are the ones that end up trading for OG.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
big career changing opportunity for Anthony Davis. Denver should be favored and they have the best player. Lebron looked really tired against the Pelicans so that is a little concerning entering the playoffs, but this is the time for Davis to deliver. He already has a championship, is a future HOF player and will be on one of the all NBA teams this year. But can he play in the same playground as Jokic for a series? that is a big ask, but I think opinions would change if Davis had a all world series. It will be fun to watch to see if he steps up or if he disappears like he can do in some bigger games.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 09:39 AM)mvossman Wrote: I don't think Brunson wanted to stay under Luka shadow and it was clear that he was better as the primary ball handler than off ball next to Luka.  The real mistake on the Mavs side was to not max extend him when they (supposedly) had the chance.  He would have been a significant asset (although he never would have reached the value he has now).  In that scenario we maybe come out of it with Quickley, Grimes and our first back instead of watching him walk for nothing.

Who knows, maybe in that scenario we are the ones that end up trading for OG.

My very unpopular opinion...

Luke had 6 years of doing wanted he wanted with the ball.  Can we stand to pass up talent because Luka refuses to lower his usage?

Brunson was good next to him but didnt want to stay because of usage.   Ky looks good next to Luka.  My opinion is that post-Ky, Luka should be telling possible recruits youre going to get plenty of ball control and I will play off-ball for you...EXCEPT in crucial Playoff games where my wizardry must be employed.

We just cant not have guys wanting to come here because of usage.  Its a thing.   Dejaunte would be awesome next to Luka...but I doubt he looks her first unless there is a bag waiting.   He is going to look at other spots over Mavs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes youzigizag's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:04 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: big career changing opportunity for Anthony Davis.  Denver should be favored and they have the best player.  Lebron looked really tired against the Pelicans so that is a little concerning entering the playoffs, but this is the time for Davis to deliver.  He already has a championship, is a future HOF player and will be on one of the all NBA teams this year.  But can he play in the same playground as Jokic for a series?  that is a big ask, but I think opinions would change if Davis had a all world series.  It will be fun to watch to see if he steps up or if he disappears like he can do in some bigger games.

I look forward to watching Anthony Davis be squashed like a bug.

The Lakers only hope is an unprecedented intervention by the officials ejecting Jokic for the entire 7-game series.  

As a Mavs fan, I should prefer a Lakers upset.  

However, as a fan of the entire NBA, I look forward to the Lakers inevitable humiliation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes surfpuckmd's post:
  • Arioch
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 06:33 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/sixers-t...40419.html

"Tobias Harris may be as good as gone.

The power forward’s tenure with the 76ers is expected to end once their postseason run concludes. Several NBA executives believe there’s a chance he’ll land with the Detroit Pistons in free agency. But there are several other teams interested in the 13th-year veteran with career averages of 16.3 points and 6.2 rebounds."

Yikes. That's some strong language. Wouldn't he be a good fit as a switch 3/4? If this Detroit rumor is real, then he's priced out but who knows?
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:07 AM)youzigizag Wrote: My very unpopular opinion...

Luke had 6 years of doing wanted he wanted with the ball.  Can we stand to pass up talent because Luka refuses to lower his usage?

Brunson was good next to him but didnt want to stay because of usage.   Ky looks good next to Luka.  My opinion is that post-Ky, Luka should be telling possible recruits youre going to get plenty of ball control and I will play off-ball for you...EXCEPT in crucial Playoff games where my wizardry must be employed.

We just cant not have guys wanting to come here because of usage.  Its a thing.   Dejaunte would be awesome next to Luka...but I doubt he looks her first unless there is a bag waiting.   He is going to look at other spots over Mavs.

The thing is, Luka is still better than Brunson with the ball. Why would you actively want to give a guy who is worse with the basketball more opportunities? 

That's like saying "No Mr. Magic Johnson, you're not allowed to handle the ball the next 3 minutes because we want to give former all-star Norm Nixon more chances."

It's silly. Brunson was a significant asset. It was a mistake letting him go. No he wouldn't have reached these heights had he been here, but because the Mavs wouldn't have needed him to. Brunson made the best choice for him and it paid off. I find it weird that you're framing this as Luka is the one "refusing" to lower his usage when in reality he's just a better basketball player than everyone and the Mavs coaching staff WANT him to have the ball. 

I'd rather find guys that can empower our 1 of a kind superstar and his strengths vs. stifling him in order to give a worse player more opportunities.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 7 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, DallasMaverick, MFFL, mvossman, omahen, RGP1981, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:48 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: The thing is, Luka is still better than Brunson with the ball. Why would you actively want to give a guy who is worse with the basketball more opportunities? 

That's like saying "No Mr. Magic Johnson, you're not allowed to handle the ball the next 3 minutes because we want to give former all-star Norm Nixon more chances."

It's silly. Brunson was a significant asset. It was a mistake letting him go. No he wouldn't have reached these heights had he been here, but because the Mavs wouldn't have needed him to. Brunson made the best choice for him and it paid off. I find it weird that you're framing this as Luka is the one "refusing" to lower his usage when in reality he's just a better basketball player than everyone and the Mavs coaching staff WANT him to have the ball. 

I'd rather find guys that can empower our 1 of a kind superstar and his strengths vs. stifling him in order to give a worse player more opportunities.

LeBron used to be the best on the planet and he never dribbled the air out of the ball for 20 seconds a possession like Luka did for at least 3 full seasons(19/20, 20/21, 21/22).

Its not a fun style of basketball if employed for a majority of the regular season.  Im not opposed to it in the Playoffs at all.  And...Im not a Luka hater.

Just like I critique THJ shot selection and not passing...Im very against Helio-centric offenses for fans sake and for teammates of Harden and Luka.

Its an interesting idea and worth trying out...but think its bad for basketball on a regular basis, imo.  In Playoffs...got no problem with it.   Here and there during the regular season...got no problem with it.

Its a team game and way more fun when the tempo is up and ball movement is used and everyone eats.

Yes...its a job first and foremost.   Yes...Helio-centric is beautiful concept math wise.   Yes...if you have the Star to execute Helio and you think that offense style can win you a title...USE IT IN THE PLAYOFFS.   Yes...you have to tinker with it during the regular season to iron out kinks with new personnel that come and go.   But use it 85% of the time in games for 85% of the season?  Boring as hell.   Even with Luka putting his wizardry on it.

My opinion is that if there are offensive players in the league that feel they could be held hostage to that style of play for a majority of the season...they will look elsewhere first.

Im not into the "he's the best player in the World, no one else deserves to hold the ball".   Not saying you mean it that strictly...but its an unreasonable take win discussing a team game.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 10:38 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: "Tobias Harris may be as good as gone.

The power forward’s tenure with the 76ers is expected to end once their postseason run concludes. Several NBA executives believe there’s a chance he’ll land with the Detroit Pistons in free agency. But there are several other teams interested in the 13th-year veteran with career averages of 16.3 points and 6.2 rebounds."

Yikes. That's some strong language. Wouldn't he be a good fit as a switch 3/4? If this Detroit rumor is real, then he's priced out but who knows?
He was with Detroit a few years back. Him and Marcus Morris were the starting forwards. They were decent together, but they traded both. Detroit doesn't know what direction they're going in. Tom Gores needs to sell the team and take Troy Weaver with him.
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 11:21 AM)youzigizag Wrote: LeBron used to be the best on the planet and he never dribbled the air out of the ball for 20 seconds a possession like Luka did for at least 3 full seasons(19/20, 20/21, 21/22).

Its not a fun style of basketball if employed for a majority of the regular season. 

Luka doesn't dribble the air out of the ball. I think "dribbling the air out of the ball" refers to dribbling aimlessly with no real plan. It involves waisted dribbles due to lack of skill and basketball IQ.  

Luka uses the dribble to create mismatches to exploit, for himself and his team. I think he's efficient. Not many of those dribbles are waisted, in my opinion. Each dribble is a chess move. 

I'm going to ask an honest question. I'm genuinely curious. I'm not using the question to suggest anything at all. 

Why are you a Mavs fan? Live in the metroplex? Watched Dirk's career and stuck around? Initially liked watching Luka? Heard about this cool little message board and found out they all like the Mavs?
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 4 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • ballsrchr, mvossman, RGP1981, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 11:21 AM)youzigizag Wrote: LeBron used to be the best on the planet and he never dribbled the air out of the ball for 20 seconds a possession like Luka did for at least 3 full seasons(19/20, 20/21, 21/22).

Its not a fun style of basketball if employed for a majority of the regular season.  Im not opposed to it in the Playoffs at all.  And...Im not a Luka hater.

Just like I critique THJ shot selection and not passing...Im very against Helio-centric offenses for fans sake and for teammates of Harden and Luka.

Its an interesting idea and worth trying out...but think its bad for basketball on a regular basis, imo.  In Playoffs...got no problem with it.   Here and there during the regular season...got no problem with it.

Its a team game and way more fun when the tempo is up and ball movement is used and everyone eats.

Yes...its a job first and foremost.   Yes...Helio-centric is beautiful concept math wise.   Yes...if you have the Star to execute Helio and you think that offense style can win you a title...USE IT IN THE PLAYOFFS.   Yes...you have to tinker with it during the regular season to iron out kinks with new personnel that come and go.   But use it 85% of the time in games for 85% of the season?  Boring as hell.   Even with Luka putting his wizardry on it.

My opinion is that if there are offensive players in the league that feel they could be held hostage to that style of play for a majority of the season...they will look elsewhere first.

Im not into the "he's the best player in the World, no one else deserves to hold the ball".   Not saying you mean it that strictly...but its an unreasonable take win discussing a team game.

I don't think Luka dribbles the air out of the ball--except when he has to.  His sole intention is to win at basketball.  As he gets better players around him he is providing them with more and better opportunities to score and win.  If Luka is rolling, though...what the hell...let him go.  He'll still find players around him that are open.  Even though this is a team game, there will always be that one best player.  Who should we play?

Wizardry?  We ain't seen nothing yet.  I think, AS LUKA MATURES, he'll become a true floor general who'll utilize the entirety of the team in ways seldom seen...if ever.  Even Luka has to have help though.  We've seen that in past years.

The only thing that may stop Luka is frustration from team management.  Then he'll jump ship--and I don't think he wants to do that.
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • fifteenth, RGP1981
Like Reply

Oh, and I left out part of what I was going to say...

LeBron is and has always been the best comp for Luka. Point Lebron, which has always been a big part of his game, probes the D to set up the right pass, or his own drive or shot, much like Luka.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 12:13 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: I don't think Luka dribbles the air out of the ball.....

It looks like we wrote the same exact post and hit send at the same exact time! That's pretty crazy.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(04-19-2024, 12:13 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: The only thing that may stop Luka is frustration from team management.  Then he'll jump ship--and I don't think he wants to do that.

I also think frustration, i.e. the mental battle, will be the one thing that will stop Luka. But I don't think it will be directed towards team management. Luka has shown he cares very little about how the team is run and has divorced himself from that aspect of the franchise. Correctly so imo. LuGM is more a meme than say LeGM which is a very real thing. 

But I believe his frustrations towards the refs or himself during a game is his one weakness. It's also a strength that he is so passionate that it fuels his desire to win. But it can also take him out of games.

If Luka matures in the way you are describing, perhaps this goes away. If that does then the league should watch out more than they already have to.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • ballsrchr, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply