Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
Didn’t realize Draymond was back playing today.
Like Reply
Has someone told the Grizzlies players that they are tanking. That team is all hustle and energy. 11 off rebounds, 13 steals, 10 blocks. Beating the Warriors with a borderline g-league rotation.
Like Reply
Love my some Lively but If it wasn't for the positional need Cason Wallace would have been just as good or even better. Hilarious to watch LBJs reaction when he cannot back down a 6'3 guard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • khaled1987
Like Reply
https://x.com/tjonesonthenba/status/1747...82525?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

The Mitchell trade is more amazing than the Gobert trade. Lauri plus Sexton (both score 30 tonight) plus three firsts and two swaps.
Like Reply
(01-15-2024, 11:24 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Love my some Lively but If it wasn't for the positional need Cason Wallace would have been just as good or even better. Hilarious to watch LBJs reaction when he cannot back down a 6'3 guard.

I talked about him before the deaft, how he will fit like a glove here and serve a role.
Happy with Lively though, proved me wrong ss I didn't want him tbh.
Like Reply
(01-15-2024, 11:39 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://x.com/tjonesonthenba/status/1747...82525?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

The Mitchell trade is more amazing than the Gobert trade.  Lauri plus Sexton (both score 30 tonight) plus three firsts and two swaps.

Utah is a team to watch as they blasted the Pacers 132-105 for they're 6th straight win. Carlisle says Markkanen is the closest player to resemble Dirk Nowitski that he's seen.
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 06:42 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Utah is a team to watch as they blasted the Pacers 132-105 for they're 6th straight win. Carlisle says Markkanen is the closest player to resemble Dirk Nowitski that he's seen.

I don't even think that's hyperbole from Carlisle. 

Lauri is the real deal.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
Might be a bad stretch but Dinwiddie is not playing well in Brooklyn. Has been losing minutes to Dennis Jr smith too. Most nets fans are not crazy about him either. Last 3 game he has scored 2, 3 and 5.
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 06:42 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Carlisle says Markkanen is the closest player to resemble Dirk Nowitski that he's seen.

Lauri is Dirk pre-2007, or at least the Dirk version who still doesn't have a post up game.
Like Reply
(01-16-2024, 06:42 AM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: Carlisle says Markkanen is the closest player to resemble Dirk Nowitski that he's seen.

I wouldn't read too much into this. While LM is obviously playing well, Carlisle has a long record of heaping over-the-top praise (often transparently absurd) on opposing coaches and players as his team plays them. We saw this when he coached in Dallas too, and would react to it and sometimes be bothered by the content, but it's just his way of selling the game and the league.
Like Reply
Hopefully the Suns do the Mavs a solid here and beat the Kings
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Embiid really is a 7ft James Harden. Marginal contact and he throws himself to the floor. He isn't even getting his calls on drives or in the paint. Face up. Swing through or lean into the defender to create contact.
Really appreciate Kyrie for his style of play. One of the few (maybe the only) star player that doesn't flop and always tries to score instead of trying to create contact. Almost to a fault. Probably would be a more efficient scorer if he would absorb some contact instead of doings his usual acrobatics around the rim.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick, dmavs4life03, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Suns came back from 22 in the fourth to beat the Kings last night.

So for a day, Mavs are currently in 5th place. Their first round matchup would be against the Clippers. Yuck.
Like Reply
This is the problem with what Dallas is doing, and with what the folks here WANT Dallas to do:

https://x.com/johnhollinger/status/17476...30428?s=20

Quote:"and then once they put Durant at the 5 it was an avalanche." 

THAT is what the playoffs will be like. I LOOOOOVE Lively, but he can't hang with guys like Durant, Kawhi, LeBron, etc. Basically all the good teams (except for Minnesota, who doesn't worry me in the least) have a way to play with super skill and foot speed at every position. 

That's why the Mavs are TRYING to get a lineup with Williams at the 5 to work, and while it hasn't looked good yet, I wish people here were more supportive and open-minded about it, because it's ABSOLUTELY the right type of thought. 

THAT'S why they need a "guy who's at least 6'8" that can dribble"...so he can play CENTER in the playoffs. And no, WCJ isn't the answer.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod, omahen
Like Reply
Why isn't a healthy WCJ the answer? Just curious.
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 10:12 AM)Winter Wrote: Why isn't a healthy WCJ the answer? Just curious.

He's basically a traditional 5 now. Good player, but at the end of the day he's likely to have some of the same limitations Lively has, but with a different (less important for Mavs, I'd argue) set of strengths. I think he'd be a fine get as a backup center, but I think it would be overkill, given Mavs' needs and assets, and I don't really buy this idea of him playing WITH Lively. I think the upside of adding WCJ is injury insurance on Lively and a slightly increased chance that you can get away with playing one of them in the playoffs. All good stuff, but I don't think it accomplishes what the Mavs seem to want to accomplish, given the quotes and the obvious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
I dunno. I'm pretty intrigued with these videos.

Wendell Carter jr

Offensive Highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fheoA938M9M

Defensive Highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwT0kVOorQ

I think he's a good fit. I just think his health has been an issue.
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 10:22 AM)Winter Wrote: I dunno. I'm pretty intrigued with these videos.

Wendell Carter jr

Offensive Highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fheoA938M9M

Defensive Highlights - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGwT0kVOorQ

I think he's a good fit. I just think his health has been an issue.

Well, we don't have to agree. Diverse viewpoints make for a better board, that's for sure. 

I don't see the fit, myself.
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 10:05 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is the problem with what Dallas is doing, and with what the folks here WANT Dallas to do:

https://x.com/johnhollinger/status/17476...30428?s=20

THAT is what the playoffs will be like. I LOOOOOVE Lively, but he can't hang with guys like Durant, Kawhi, LeBron, etc. Basically all the good teams (except for Minnesota, who doesn't worry me in the least) have a way to play with super skill and foot speed at every position. 

That's why the Mavs are TRYING to get a lineup with Williams at the 5 to work, and while it hasn't looked good yet, I wish people here were more supportive and open-minded about it, because it's ABSOLUTELY the right type of thought. 

THAT'S why they need a "guy who's at least 6'8" that can dribble"...so he can play CENTER in the playoffs. And no, WCJ isn't the answer.

That is fine.  My main objection to Grant playing center is we are doing him no favors pairing him with no height.  That is a no win situation imo.   When we signed Grant, I thought he would be able to play some backup center minutes.   He defends the bigger bulky guys alright.   His perimeter defense has been disappointing though.  How Grant is moving on the perimeter now, KD would just torch him anyway.   

He is not playing well regardless, but if we could pair him with a 6'9 guy who can stretch the floor, block some shots and rebound, Grant at center for moments is not terrible.  I just not sure we have that player currently.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-17-2024, 10:29 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: That is fine.  My main objection to Grant playing center is we are doing him no favors pairing him with no height.  That is a no win situation imo.   When we signed Grant, I thought he would be able to play some backup center minutes.   He defends the bigger bulky guys alright.   His perimeter defense has been disappointing though.  How Grant is moving on the perimeter now, KD would just torch him anyway.   

He is not playing well regardless, but if we could pair him with a 6'9 guy who can stretch the floor, block some shots and rebound, Grant at center for moments is not terrible.  I just not sure we have that player currently.

I will agree that the path to ANY worthwhile role for Grant Williams starts with him getting into better shape and simply playing better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply