Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
(12-27-2023, 10:04 PM)Winter Wrote: 9:02 PM. Just saw this popping up on a general feed.

According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, the Mavs plan to sign Brandon Williams to a two-way contract. Williams was playing with the Osceola Magic of the G League and will now get a chance to potentially contribute at the NBA level. His last stop in the NBA was during the 2021-22 season with the Portland Trail Blazers.

This season for the Magic, Williams is averaging 23.9 points and 5.6 assists per game. He is a crafty finisher, a great passer, and a good athlete. Even though he is undersized, Williams has a variety of moves that he uses to finish at the rim and finishes through contact well.

Although this signing should be exciting for Mavs fans, it is also puzzling because all three of the Mavs' two-way spots are filled right now by Greg Brown III, Dexter Dennis, and A.J. Lawson. In order to sign Williams, Dallas needs to create a roster spot.

That could mean that Dallas plans on converting one of their two-way deals to a standard contract, but it could also mean that one of their two-way guys could get cut. It could even mean that someone on their main roster is getting cut.

No one knows exactly how Dallas plans on creating that new roster spot, but it'll be interesting to see the next move Dallas makes.

Sort of surprising.   I wanted to see more of Dennis.  I thought he was known as a strong defender.  Both him and Brown were really bad the last game against the Spurs but Dennis was good the previous game.   I don't know anything about Williams.   Not really a fan of picking up another smallish guard...no matter how good he has been in the G-league.   I am running through as many wings as possible.  If one doesn't work, find another one.   Look for guys 6'7 to 6'10 who can guard on the perimeter.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • ballsrchr, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
Agreed. Mavs need size and athleticism at the wing. They already have two pint-sized guards in Curry and Hardy that are one-trick ponys.
Like Reply
(12-28-2023, 07:26 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Agreed. Mavs need size and athleticism at the wing. They already have two pint-sized guards in Curry and Hardy that are one-trick ponys.

Probably not the case, but making me wonder if some sort of move is being made involving one of those smaller guards.

Probably just them shuffling the deck chairs and seeing what sticks. Brown nor Dennis look to be anything special. I think Lawson has a chance to stick though.
Like Reply
Wemby is on pace for most blk (3.2)+stl (1.3) since Camby in 08/Kirilenko in 05. And he isn't even my pick for ROY. Holmgren is already better than the best version of KP. Wemby has more potential because he moves better and has even more freak length but Holmgren is more polished. Has been a super efficient pick and roll/pop scorer.
Lively is a legit starter in his first season. Exceeded expectations and immediately made a big impact for the Mavs but probably isn't going to make an all rookie team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(12-29-2023, 08:28 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Wemby is on pace for most blk (3.2)+stl (1.3) since Camby in 08/Kirilenko in 05. And he isn't even my pick for ROY. Holmgren is already better than the best version of KP. Wemby has more potential because he moves better and has even more freak length but Holmgren is more polished. Has been a super efficient pick and roll/pop scorer.
Lively is a legit starter in his first season. Exceeded expectations and immediately made a big impact for the Mavs but probably isn't going to make an all rookie team.

Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day. He's easily in the top 5-6, but the top 2 both play his position. Sucks.
Like Reply
Bitadze back starting for the Magic with WCJ out. Magic up 15 end of 3rd against Knicks. I´m thinking WCJ is done in Orlando, but do we want to give up THJ for him. Undecided
Like Reply
(12-29-2023, 02:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, I was thinking about that the other day. He's easily in the top 5-6, but the top 2 both play his position. Sucks.

They don't get attached too much to positions in rookie team of  year. Lively will make rookie second team easily,  with other two making first team.
[-] The following 2 users Like khaled1987's post:
  • KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
With Toronto missing "half the team" after the trade (new players of course not playing yet), Detroit has a chance to finally end their losing streak Smile
[-] The following 3 users Like omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd, MFFL, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(12-30-2023, 02:38 PM)omahen Wrote: With Toronto missing "half the team" after the trade (new players of course not playing yet), Detroit has a chance to finally end their losing streak Smile

[Narrator voice]

Detroit did in fact end their losing streak
[-] The following 1 user Likes MFFL's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Drummond with 15 points and 23 rebounds last night as the Bulls continue their path to get back to .500.

Lakers lose to the Timberwolves on a disputed Three/Two by LeBron.

Both the Knicks and Raptors lose after the trade.

Mavs play the Jazz next. The Jazz are a better team now with most of their players back. It should be a tough one.
Like Reply
Drummond has really stepped up since Vucevic has been out. He has always been a great rebounder. He's rebuilding what value he has left.
Like Reply
Pacers recovered from their post in-season tournament losing streak. Won three in a row. Haliburton with two 20pts/20ast games in a row. One of them without a single turnover.
Like Reply
(12-31-2023, 09:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Drummond with 15 points and 23 rebounds last night as the Bulls continue their path to get back to .500. 

Lakers lose to the Timberwolves on a disputed Three/Two by LeBron.

Both the Knicks and Raptors lose after the trade. 

Mavs play the Jazz next.  The Jazz are a better team now with most of their players back.  It should be a tough one.

It blows my mind that there are some here that think Drummond wouldn't be an absolute monster here playing next to Luka.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Nowitzki Way
Like Reply
(12-31-2023, 10:45 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Pacers recovered from their post in-season tournament losing streak. Won three in a row. Haliburton with two 20pts/2ast games in a row. One of them without a single turnover.

You mean 20pts/20ast games, right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
Both NY and Toronto doing great in the first game after the trade. NY won against Minny and Toronto has a 16 point lead in the second quarter against Cleveland
Like Reply
(01-01-2024, 08:24 PM)omahen Wrote: Both NY and Toronto doing great in the first game after the trade. NY won against Minny and Toronto has a 16 point lead in the second quarter against Cleveland

Who started, Schroeder or IQ?
Like Reply
(01-01-2024, 08:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Who started, Schroeder or IQ?

IQ
Like Reply
(01-01-2024, 08:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Who started, Schroeder or IQ?

He's in deep foul trouble heading into the half, but it's obvious how much better the Raptors play with Quickley on the court. 

The Raptors commentators were talking about building around the young core of Quickley, Barrett, Poeltl, and Barnes. No mention of Siakam which I found curious.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(01-01-2024, 08:47 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: He's in deep foul trouble heading into the half, but it's obvious how much better the Raptors play with Quickley on the court. 

The Raptors commentators were talking about building around the young core of Quickley, Barrett, Poeltl, and Barnes. No mention of Siakam which I found curious.

I really expect them to move Siakam by the TDL.
Like Reply
“[Draymond] has not been in the facility, at least with us… We’ve been giving him his space, he’s been giving us ours.”

Steve Kerr with the latest on Draymond Green’s indefinite suspension
Like Reply