Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
(12-22-2023, 03:31 AM)omahen Wrote: This will be a huge hit for Monty reputation, if he doesn't quickly turn it around. Detroit was looking to take a step forward, Cade returned from injury while not playing last season, yet their results are even worse than last year.

To be fair, Monty was one of the most mediocre coaches in the league before CP3 got to PHX. I was shocked the Pistons gave him the contract they did. 

This is reminding me of Rick Pitino and the Celtics.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(12-22-2023, 06:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: To be fair, Monty was one of the most mediocre coaches in the league before CP3 got to PHX. I was shocked the Pistons gave him the contract they did. 

This is reminding me of Rick Pitino and the Celtics.

While this is true, sometimes having such reputation and respect is what the management needs with a young team they are trying to build a winning culture for. 
Problem is, they have the absolute worst GM in the league who built an even bigger mess
Like Reply
@TrevorMBooth
Woj: "They (the Suns) lack the assets, the draft picks, the trade capital to go out and really improve this team. This is something they're going to have to manage with Kevin Durant in Phoenix...

"This team has to win big and they have to win big quickly..."

https://twitter.com/TrevorMBooth/status/...6410730714
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
LMAO get fed KD
Like Reply
[Image: agnW781_700b.jpg]

Actually hilarious and a bit insane that KD has hand picked his location since 2016. Every time despite creating massive superteams he always gets frustrated when he hits a bump in the road.

Dude is and will always be a cupcake.
Like Reply
[Charania] Lakers guard Gabe Vincent will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his ailing left knee as soon as Tuesday and will miss 6-to-8 weeks, league sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.News
Like Reply
Photo 
Hopefully no one opened up this present today. Merry Christmas!!

Beat the Suns!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

“BE CURIOUS, NOT JUDGMENTAL…”
[-] The following 2 users Like OBX Maverick's post:
  • DallasMaverick, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Atlanta might be willing to explore moving Murray, since pairing with Trae didn't work as expected, but they would be looking for a similar return they gave up for him (3 FRP).

Murray could be an ideal running partner for Luka, but of course Mavs could offer a good enough package in summer only.

https://marcstein.substack.com/p/the-lat...hatter-and
Like Reply
Big Christmas day for some former Mavs. If only....

The more I see some of these big multiple first trades, the more I wonder if it is best to keep your picks or look for guys who may only require one first round pick.

Look at Boston for a guy like Derrick White. It seems like a lot of these multiple firsts trades look better on paper than it winds up on the court. Not all, but a lot of them. While if you hit on a middle first round pick, it can be a huge goldmine. More risk to that though.
Like Reply
(12-25-2023, 07:20 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Big Christmas day for some former Mavs.  If only....

The more I see some of these big multiple first trades, the more I wonder if it is best to keep your picks or look for guys who may only require one first round pick. 

Look at Boston for a guy like Derrick White.    It seems like a lot of these multiple firsts trades look better on paper than it winds up on the court.  Not all, but a lot of them.  While if you hit on a middle first round pick, it can be a huge goldmine.  More risk to that though.

Not sure the point you are making about White. Some random observations on him ...
1 Would love to have him (now). 
2 When BOS traded for him, he was JAG, a defensive wing, a player with a contract that was ugly for what he was showing. 
3 IIRC there was also some element of "salary dump" to get under the tax line that BOS had targeted and was able to get when they swapped for him. But SA was likely dumping his contract as part of their thinking.
4 He was SA's Josh Green?
5 Something in BOS clicked for him eventually (they developed him better, or put him in a better role for his skills, or....?). But it didn't happen overnight.
6 The picks SA got for him have proved to be meh-to-bad, actually. But even as they were being traded, they didn't look all that special.
Like Reply
(12-25-2023, 10:19 PM)F Gump Wrote: Not sure the point you are making about White. Some random observations on him ...
1 Would love to have him (now). 
2 When BOS traded for him, he was JAG, a defensive wing, a player with a contract that was ugly for what he was showing. 
3 IIRC there was also some element of "salary dump" to get under the tax line that BOS had targeted and was able to get when they swapped for him. But SA was likely dumping his contract as part of their thinking.
4 He was SA's Josh Green?
5 Something in BOS clicked for him eventually (they developed him better, or put him in a better role for his skills, or....?). But it didn't happen overnight.
6 The picks SA got for him have proved to be meh-to-bad, actually. But even as they were being traded, they didn't look all that special.

Got to disagree with the White take.  He was significantly more than a JAG at the time of the trade.  He was at another level than Green.  He did not have the passive issues on offense that Green does, is a better passer and a much better defender.  I agree that he got even better when he got to Boston, but I would have been more than happy to make that trade.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime, omahen
Like Reply
Quote:Christian Wood and Luka Doncic tonight
50 points
15/25 shooting (8/16 from 3)
6 rebounds
14 assists
4 steals
3 blocks

Still dynamic

https://twitter.com/Vengeancewood/status...6556225898

One would think that at some point trolling Wood fans gets boring but it gets better with every DNP-trash.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
Are there very many Christian Wood fans left? Seems like seeing him with the Mavs last season would have cured folks of that.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 10:35 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Are there very many Christian Wood fans left? Seems like seeing him with the Mavs last season would have cured folks of that.

I think the loudest one has been banned.
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 10:35 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Are there very many Christian Wood fans left? Seems like seeing him with the Mavs last season would have cured folks of that.

I am glad we have moved on.   That was one of the top 10 things (boy there was a lot) that made the Mavs season such a drag.
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 10:40 AM)mvossman Wrote: I think the loudest one has been banned.

I know he was an ass (and I had him blocked) but what did he do to cross the line?
Like Reply
Regarding the current title of this thread, it seems like KD doesn't think "how can I make this team better," but instead thinks "how can I get on a better team?"

I like KD when I see him in interviews. And I like watching him play. But those Nets stories about the team "coaching" itself and essentially running the front office made me never want KD on a team I cheer for.

We just talked in one of these threads about how great it was to see the Mavs enjoying playing together again. Not sure KD's tremendous talent is worth messing that up.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
Pistons set NBA single-season record with 27th straight loss: How did Detroit get here?

https://archive.is/DIJb5#selection-315.0-315.87
Like Reply
(12-26-2023, 10:59 PM)MFFL Wrote: Pistons set NBA single-season record with 27th straight loss: How did Detroit get here?

https://archive.is/DIJb5#selection-315.0-315.87

They're going to have to rebuild their rebuild.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jmaciscool's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
Vintage dinosaur game from Drummond. First start in 1 1/2 years. Finished with 24pts/25reb 11/13 FG in 38 minutes. Dominated Capela. Not advocating for a non shooting big behind Lively but if that's what the Mavs want I would prefer the vet min option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply