Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
(12-16-2022, 01:30 PM)F Gump Wrote: On the latter point, I very much disagree, and think its comparative downside is exaggerated, in most cases. You really NEED added options to make plays, so there's a reality in which you do have someone else controlling the ball - and you can describe that as your turn, if you wish, but in reality if you don't want to have Luka having the ball all the time, then someone else MUST have it.

I think Brunson was really a great model for that other really good creator, because he didn't force the ball out of Luka's hands in a "it's my turn now" manner, but rather created a different option of attack at all times. A defense had to make choices.

Maybe I didn't do a good job explaining.   Although it is fine if we still disagree.   I am just not a fan when it is one player has a ball and he creates and then the next time someone else has it and creates while everyone else is watching.   It is a very motionless offense where whoever has the ball is the one trying to score.  Houston did this a little with Harden and Westbrook.   When Harden didn't have the ball he might as well been sitting down on the court as that was how much he was involved in the play.  

I want others to be able to create and have the ball.  But I envision a motion offense where the ball is moving and the defense is helpless trying to find answers.   

In last years playoffs Luka had the ball most of the time, but I loved how we could spread the floor and have multiple people attack the rim while spreading the defense out.   It wasn't perfect, but it was fun to watch.

(12-16-2022, 10:38 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: 2. When the Dallas bigs go for two!

W
None of this addresses the Mavs' need for a second creator better than Spencer Dinwiddie 
Question...During the offseason do you think the Mavs agreed they needed a second creator better than Dinwiddie.   I think the answer may have been no.    I think this might be part of a much bigger problem.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 12:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: There is media/analyst talk that the Mavs' best path forward might be to fully embrace the James Harden model in Houston. As we know, that was a style that led to lots of regular season success, but not so much in the playoffs.

Personally, I absolutely HATE that type of basketball. I find it unwatchable.

(Although, with Luka's usage being so sky high leading to such repetitive offense, I am already veering towards the Mavs being boring and hard to watch. It's just not a fun exercise to spend a few hours to see.)

They pretty much run that offense. Luka, dribble, dibble, dribble...  step back 3.  Such a crappy offense to watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bayliss's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 02:28 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Maybe I didn't do a good job explaining.   Although it is fine if we still disagree.   I am just not a fan when it is one player has a ball and he creates and then the next time someone else has it and creates while everyone else is watching.   It is a very motionless offense where whoever has the ball is the one trying to score.  Houston did this a little with Harden and Westbrook.   When Harden didn't have the ball he might as well been sitting down on the court as that was how much he was involved in the play.  

I want others to be able to create and have the ball.  But I envision a motion offense where the ball is moving and the defense is helpless trying to find answers.   

In last years playoffs Luka had the ball most of the time, but I loved how we could spread the floor and have multiple people attack the rim while spreading the defense out.   It wasn't perfect, but it was fun to watch.

On the last para, yes that is what makes sense to me - but it REQUIRES another really good creator.

I will say that last years offense with two creators at all times felt very different from what you describe - the ball would would move, the attack (although focused on two creators ) led to shots from anywhere, and it felt like the ceiling was high. That was team basketball, not a one-man show. Nor even a pair of one-man shows taking turns.

IOW, which is my point, adding that creator guy does NOT inevitably lead to my turn your turn stuff, but rather where you end up will flow from the players, how they will be willing to play, and the coaches and how they set up the offense.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 01:40 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Hardy

Top 5 coach in the NBA.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 03:28 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Top 5 coach in the NBA.

I thought Quin Snyder did a really good job in his tenure as well.  Utah has an eye for coaches.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 03:33 PM)cow Wrote: Quin Snyder

Is he free right now?
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 03:35 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Is he free right now?

Mostly I think.  Last I heard he was doing consulting work for the Lakers coaching staff.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 03:37 PM)cow Wrote: Mostly I think.  Last I heard he was doing consulting work for the Lakers coaching staff.

I heard he's bidding time waiting on the next decent job to open up. Keep your eye on Atlanta.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 07:57 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I heard he's bidding time waiting on the next decent job to open up. Keep your eye on Atlanta.

I'm curious if he has any contractual obligations to Utah which prevents him from taking another job in the short term.  I really like how he developed talent on his Utah teams though.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 07:57 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: I heard he's bidding time waiting on the next decent job to open up. Keep your eye on Atlanta.

Or Dallas?????
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 11:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Or Dallas?????

Kidd's here until Luka asks for him to get fired or asks for a trade.
Like Reply
(12-16-2022, 11:42 PM)cow Wrote: Kidd's here until Luka asks for him to get fired or asks for a trade.

And either might happen next week, or the week after.
Like Reply
Knicks won their 7 straight today.  Most against bad or average teams, but still.

Too depressed to look at their sites as I am sure high on their excitement list is our pick.
Like Reply
Jokic had 40pts, 27 rebs and 10 assists in a 119-115  win over the woeful Hornets,  He's probably one of the most unique players I've ever seen.
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 08:10 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Knicks won their 7 straight today.  Most against bad or average teams, but still.

Too depressed to look at their sites as I am sure high on their excitement list is our pick.

The Knicks are playing well regardless of who they played. Thibs cut his rotation down to nine guys and benched, Rose, Fornier and Reddish to play the young guys. Reddish is young, but he doesn't fit in Thibs plans. All three could be traded. Brunson and Randle have really played well for them and Robinson has been a legit rim protector and shot blocker.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 10:45 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Jokic had 40pts, 27 rebs and 10 assists in a 119-115  win over the woeful Hornets,  He's probably one of the most unique players I've ever seen.

Such a special player.  It felt like he eased into the season and let the lead dogs jump,ahead of him.  It seemed like he was allowing others to grow while he waited.  Now the Nuggets may very well be the best team in the West and he is back to being what he has been.  The media narrative may not want to give him a third straight mvp, but he may make a strong case.

Speaking of Denver, Gordon was really acquired by a first round pick.  Same for Grant in Portland.  I wonder if instead of looking for that one star, if it would look better to get two of the Gordon and Grant players?

(12-18-2022, 10:53 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: The Knicks are playing well regardless of who they played. Thibs cut his rotation down to nine guys and benched, Rose, Fornier and Reddish to play the young guys. Reddish is young, but he doesn't fit in Thibs plans. All three could be traded. Brunson and Randle have really played well for them and Robinson has been a legit rim protector and shot blocker.

Both New York teams are playing well.  The Nets have won 6 in a row and 9 of their last 10.  They are a few games out of the best record in the East.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 11:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Such a special player.  It felt like he eased into the season and let the lead dogs jump,ahead of him.  It seemed like he was allowing others to grow while he waited.  Now the Nuggets may very well be the best team in the West and he is back to being what he has been.  The media narrative may not want to give him a third straight mvp, but he may make a strong case.

Speaking of Denver, Gordon was really acquired by a first round pick.  Same for Grant in Portland.  I wonder if instead of looking for that one star, if it would look better to get two of the Gordon and Grant players?

Both New York teams are playing well.  The Nets have won 6 in a row and 9 of their last 10.  They are a few games out of the best record in the East.

Hey you're right. Totally forget about the Nets who beat my hometown Pistons. And Orlando has cooled off Boston by beating them twice in Boston.
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 11:42 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Hey you're right. Totally forget about the Nets who beat my hometown Pistons. And Orlando has cooled off Boston by beating them twice in Boston.

Orlando won six in a row now, basically since they replaced Suggs (with Fultz) in the starting line-up. They have caught up with the struggling Bulls/Wizards already, and only 2.5 games behind the struggling Raptors for a play-in spot.

Wonder whether that makes it more or less likely that they trade Bamba/Harris. Harris hasn´t played, Bamba has been a strong part of their bench combo with Anthony. I wonder if they could be a destination for Lavine, Beal or DeRozan. Offer Suggs + Isaac + few picks. In reality you probably want to tank one more time for a proper star guard and then your team is totally complete. Good for Mosley.

Also shows how one piece added or removed (Suggs in Orlando, Grimes in New York) can change a lot in the short-term. Question is whether the Mavs have the overall talent to make such a move count as much. Removing Bertans/McGee hasn´t helped that much, but Kemba showed much help a proper guard could be. And a proper center could probably, too. But this ream refused to sign either in the summer. LOL.
Like Reply
(12-19-2022, 02:18 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Orlando won six in a row now, basically since they replaced Suggs (with Fultz) in the starting line-up. They have caught up with the struggling Bulls/Wizards already, and only 2.5 games behind the struggling Raptors for a play-in spot.

Wonder whether that makes it more or less likely that they trade Bamba/Harris. Harris hasn´t played, Bamba has been a strong part of their bench combo with Anthony. I wonder if they could be a destination for Lavine, Beal or DeRozan. Offer Suggs + Isaac + few picks. In reality you probably want to tank one more time for a proper star guard and then your team is totally complete. Good for Mosley.

Also shows how one piece added or removed (Suggs in Orlando, Grimes in New York) can change a lot in the short-term. Question is whether the Mavs have the overall talent to make such a move count as much. Removing Bertans/McGee hasn´t helped that much, but Kemba showed much help a proper guard could be. And a proper center could probably, too. But this ream refused to sign either in the summer. LOL.

F*ck NYK. If we kept Brunson and signed Hartenstein, that would have been a dream offseason.
And they would be better of by not wasting everything to get Jalen.
Like Reply
(12-18-2022, 11:23 PM)Chicagojk Wrote:  

The most recent Grant trade was Portland's 2025 pick (top 4 protected).   The Gordon trade was in 2021 and was for a 2025 pick (top 5 protected).  Gary Harris and RJ Hampton were involved for salary matching purposes.  Harris had fallen out of favor.  Hampton at the time was a recent draft pick at #24.  He hasn't turned out to be much.  In fact, Orlando didn't pick up his option for 23/24.  But, at the time he was probably similar value to Jaden Hardy.

Gordon was expiring at the time he was traded.  Orlando didn't want to pay him star money.  Denver already had its star and wanted to put a complimentary piece next to him.  Grant was also traded as an expiring contract (full season instead of half season at the TDL).  Portland was also looking for a compliment to its star player and Grant didn't fit Detroit's timeline.

The point I'm trying to make is Dallas is in a similar situation.  Neither player moved for a 'near' pick and both players were/are about to be paid and their current team didn't/doesn't want to be the one that does it.  The question is who currently fits this situation and is worthy of a pick?  UFA: Turner, Vuc, Grant (again), LeVert, Wood (so we essentially did this already), Crowder, Poeltl, Lonnie Walker.  RFA: Rui, Cam Johnson, PJ Washington, Grant Williams.  PO:  Draymond, FVV, Bogdan, Trent, Kuzma, 

I don't know about doing it twice.  2027 is a long ways away.  I'd do it once (like Portland and Denver did) for the right guy.  But, who is the right guy?  Some of the best players here are centers or play for contenders.  It would scare me to give up a 2025 first for a UFA guy or someone I can't extend now (if memory serves, Gordon was RFA when he was signed in Denver).  That's why I've brought up P J Washington either for Bullock or THJ/Powell for Washington/Hayward.  He's not at the same level as Gordon or Grant.  That's why I'm trying to avoid giving up a first.  If I do, it is probably a fake first that is highly protected and converts to two seconds the next season.

FWIW, I’m all in on an Anunoby deal (have been since his draft when I pointed out repeatedly he was an Indiana guy and a Schwartz guy…what else did Cuban want?).  Two unprotected firsts, pick swaps, THJ and even Hardy.  To me, that is the contending move.  Wood, DFS, OG, Green and Luka with Powell/Maxi/Bullock/Dinwiddie as your nine man.  Sign me up.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • mvossman, Nowitzki Way
Like Reply