Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: NBA In-Season Tournament/Play-In Tournament to be on Amazon
(07-03-2022, 01:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The list of Simmons suitors might be pretty small

Come on down to the Mavs for no draft picks!
[-] The following 4 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft, Mavsfan12, MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 01:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Come on down to the Mavs for no draft picks!

Agreed. If the price is that low, due to him desperately needing to be moved, and all it takes is a money match contract attached to a player(s) BRK can use, I'm in.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 01:07 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Come on down to the Mavs for no draft picks!

I’m definitely in after thinking about it for a day. If the cost is only THJ+Powell (and even Green) with no FRP’s attached then the risk is mitigated imo. 

A lineup of Luka-Simmons-Bullock-DFS-Wood is well balanced in theory and contender worthy.
Like Reply
Also, it would be very Mavs-like to have a few reports out there about KD and/or Kyrie to eventually end up with Simmons.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 01:12 PM)Smitty Wrote: Luka-Simmons-Bullock-DFS-Wood

Would be incredible, just incredible.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NBAMemes/status/1543400052923592704?s=20&t=1rkgVg_TEqmIJhQGKTv4VA
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 01:20 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Would be incredible, just incredible.

According to Stein’s latest, Mavs are one of the teams who can’t acquire Simmons due to him being on a max rookie extension as well as Luka. Is this correct?? Kind of eliminates a lot of potential “2nd star” players.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 01:57 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: According to Stein’s latest, Mavs are one of the teams who can’t acquire Simmons due to him being on a max rookie extension as well as Luka. Is this correct?? Kind of eliminates a lot of potential “2nd star” players.

Damn, if I understand the rule correctly, that is correct. It's an easy one to forget about when dreaming, lol.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 01:57 PM)Okstate819 Wrote: According to Stein’s latest, Mavs are one of the teams who can’t acquire Simmons due to him being on a max rookie extension as well as Luka. Is this correct?? Kind of eliminates a lot of potential “2nd star” players.

Per TephLon on discord: we can get a player on a rookie max, you just can’t have 2 players that you traded for on a rookie max.

Edit: the post below me explains this better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply

I believe that rule applies to two or more players on this contract acquired via a trade.

So Luka doesnt count towards this issue.

Whereas in Brooklyn they have Simmons from a trade so they can not accept another rookie contract without first moving Simmons
[-] The following 2 users Like Magickian's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 02:04 PM)Magickian Wrote: I believe that rule applies to two or more players on this contract acquired via a trade.

So Luka doesnt count towards this issue.

Whereas in Brooklyn they have Simmons from a trade so they can not accept another rookie contract without first moving Simmons

The Simmons dream lives!!!!

https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1543634668838391809?s=20&t=1rkgVg_TEqmIJhQGKTv4VA

My guess is that the Mavs are once again being used in the press (likely without any real involvement in talks) for leverage. For once, I am ecstatic at the thought.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Magickian, Smitty
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 02:06 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Simmons dream lives!!!!

https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/1543634668838391809?s=20&t=1rkgVg_TEqmIJhQGKTv4VA

My guess is that the Mavs are once again being used in the press (likely without any real involvement in talks) for leverage. For once, I am ecstatic at the thought.

Agreed, but more and more I think about this, this does feel like a Mark Cuban type of move. Sneak in on a blockbuster trade and somehow get an upgrade piece on the cheap (a la Simmons) due to the other teams needing help to facilitate the trade.

I am not 100% it will be Simmons, but I do feel we are somehow involved in this trade. As time has passed though and more I hear about this all it does feel like Simmons could be a really sneaky cheap pickup, that if we are able to acquire without losing assets, feels like an extremely Mavs move to make.

I always have been in the Simmons is overrated camp.... but that was many of his early years, and now yes he is overpaid due to this IMO, which hurts if we do pick him up, but I do think now he is underrated for what he could be acquired for.

I do think if it doesnt work out, he could be moved again, so I am not afraid he will be un-tradeable.

I have concerns for his lack of ability to shoot... but he would be our secondary ball handler to work with and backup Luka. I think his skillset adds a lot that could be a really good fit regardless of his lack of ability to shoot.  I think if we could get him and then one vet min spot up shooter. I dont have one on mind and maybe this year we couldnt pull it off, but within the next TDL or year, adding one more shooter to Luka/Simmons/Wood/McGee would make this really interesting
[-] The following 1 user Likes Magickian's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Stein's tweet is correct.  Luka was acquired via a draft day trade.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 02:23 PM)Davis Wrote: Stein's tweet is correct.  Luka was acquired via a draft day trade.

OMG, does this type of (technicality) trade really apply? 

@"F Gump" help us!
Like Reply
I dont think so. I think it means, a player who was on a rookie contract, got the max extension, and then is traded. There cannot be two of these.

I don't think that means Luka counts, but I could be wrong. I think it would be ridiculous to consider draft trades in this equation.
Like Reply
(07-03-2022, 02:27 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: OMG, does this type of (technicality) trade really apply? 

@"F Gump" help us!

No, because Luka's first signed contract was with the Mavs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/HoopsRumors/status/1...4132227072
Like Reply
Can someone tell me where the Simmons to Dallas idea started? I don’t remember reading anything about it from a reliable source and don’t understand why the Nets would want to get rid of him when asking for a young allstar from Durant. Seems to me having 2 young allstars paired together after losing Durant and Harden is a good direction for a team. What we have to offer would be some culture guys that don’t mess with the chemistry. That isn’t at any type of value to get Simmons. It is the type of value to get Harris though.

I just don’t think the idea of Simmons to the Mavs is very well thought out. Unless one of the big news guys are saying it’s a possibility.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 08:09 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Can someone tell me where the Simmons to Dallas idea started? I don’t remember reading anything about it from a reliable source and don’t understand why the Nets would want to get rid of him when asking for a young allstar from Durant. Seems to me having 2 young allstars paired together after losing Durant and Harden is a good direction for a team. What we have to offer would be some culture guys that don’t mess with the chemistry. That isn’t at any type of value to get Simmons. It is the type of value to get Harris though.

I just don’t think the idea of Simmons to the Mavs is very well thought out. Unless one of the big news guys are saying it’s a possibility.

It was first brought up as a possibility when it was said the Nets had to trade him in order to acquire a rookie max guy like Bam, Booker, Mitchell. Then it was looped into what Skin said in his podcast. No reporter has linked Simmons to the Mavs which is also why it’s getting as much steam here as it has, since it’s Mavs-like to not hear anything about someone they trade for.
Like Reply
(07-04-2022, 08:09 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Can someone tell me where the Simmons to Dallas idea started? I don’t remember reading anything about it from a reliable source and don’t understand why the Nets would want to get rid of him when asking for a young allstar from Durant. Seems to me having 2 young allstars paired together after losing Durant and Harden is a good direction for a team. What we have to offer would be some culture guys that don’t mess with the chemistry. That isn’t at any type of value to get Simmons. It is the type of value to get Harris though.

Yeah, I can't see it unless things are just way worse than we know.   It is being thought about because of that weird NBA rule.  I just don't think it makes sense for the Nets.  If I was running the Nets either KD comes to camp with me or I get a package I can't turn down.   They don't just want picks.  So in theory, Simmons would fit well with that in either scenario.  You would think you would want them to at least see him play for your team.  

If they trade KD and want to have a competent team now then I don't know how you do that as you are selling .25 on the dollar for Kyrie and .40 on the dollar for Simmons.   Just doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah, I can't see it unless things are just way worse than we know.   It is being thought about because of that weird NBA rule.  I just don't think it makes sense for the Nets.  If I was running the Nets either KD comes to camp with me or I get a package I can't turn down.   They don't just want picks.  So in theory, Simmons would fit well with that in either scenario.  You would think you would want them to at least see him play for your team.  

If they trade KD and want to have a competent team now then I don't know how you do that as you are selling .25 on the dollar for Kyrie and .40 on the dollar for Simmons.   Just doesn't make sense to me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply