Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: ATL Jumps from #10 to #1 in Lotto| Pistons Mull Firing GM
(05-04-2024, 02:11 PM)mvossman Wrote: We will never really know what Brunson's true thoughts were on this, but there is one way we could have known.  If he really didn't want to be second fiddle he could have turned down the max extension the prior year.  But we never offered it!  That was the true failure on the FO part.  What a terrible offseason that was.  Our last chance with actual cap space and we decide to run it back with Timmy at 18 and leave Brunson hanging.

Its interesting to think about how many teams refused Brunson in a trade down in that draft when Mavs were trying to get Haliburton.  So many teams would have been so much better off either taking the trade or taking Haliburton (including NY).

Regardless I think Brunson is better off where he is now.  I don't think there is much chance folks are talking about him as potential top 10 player in NBA if he is still on Mavs.  Not sure how things would have played out if that Mitchell trade happens.  In my more bitter moments I kind of wish that had happened.

Mavs could have been totally right that Luka and Brunson are not a great long term fit. They are two of the highest usage players in the league, Brunson even exceeding Luka this season, if I remember correctly. Still, if their intention was to use him just as a trade piece, they failed doing that. Once they let him get to free agency (not trading him), they should have resigned him no matter what. This means handling his FA far differently than they did. Everyone would fill way better if Brunson declined a considerably higher Mavs offer to join Knicks. But offer was never there. Those are imho just lame excuses, that Brunson didn't give them a chance to make an offer. They had every possibility to do it. If no other way, than through media.
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 02:55 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: So much pain for Mavs fans beginning with the Porzingis trade in 2019 and ending with the Kyrie trade in early 2023. And of course many were distraught and despondent about the Kyrie trade. Cuban and Nico made a huge bet on Kyrie as a human being, against all outside observers, and won big time. Then there's Lively, OMax, DJJ, Exum, Gafford, PJ... Only major screwup was GW, and they rectified that in spades.

Many think Lindsey is the brain behind those moves. Now he has been mentioned as an option in some FO searches around the league (Detroit). If Lindsay was the brain behind the recent moves, I hope Nico learned enough. His first two summers were really bad.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 03:03 PM)omahen Wrote: Many think Lindsey is the brain behind those moves. Now he has been mentioned as an option in some FO searches around the league (Detroit). If Lindsay was the brain behind the recent moves, I hope Nico learned enough. His first two summers were really bad.

Gotta keep Lindsay at all costs.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • khaled1987, mvossman, rocky164
Like Reply
@wojespn
As expected, Chicago Bulls guard Lonzo Ball has picked up the $21.4 million option on his contract for 2024-2025, sources tell ESPN. Ball has missed the last 2.5 seasons with a knee injury. He signed an original four-year, $80M free agent deal in 2021.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Cool to see Dirk as a guest analyst on TNT's Inside The NBA. Taking Shaq's place tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 06:02 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Cool to see Dirk as a guest analyst on TNT's Inside The NBA. Taking Shaq's place tonight.

He's so good on TV. Can Mark...er... I mean the Adelsons/Dumont give Dirk that lifetime contract already so he can call as many Mavs games as he wants.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Brutal start from the Nuggets. Murray is such a weird player. Has been borderline unplayable for long stretches but in the last few minutes of a close game he cannot miss.
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 06:22 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Brutal start from the Nuggets. Murray is such a weird player. Has been borderline unplayable for long stretches but in the last few minutes of a close game he cannot miss.

They got some very clean looks that just didn't fall down. Once they've settled they've slowly chipped away. Started 14-2, now 18-13.
Like Reply
Just looked up Murray's numbers. 46.8% TS in the first round. Basically the worst player on the floor for three quarters but when it is time to hit the game winner he isn't missing. 6/7 in the clutch. Including two game winners.
Like Reply
Edwards is getting it done. Has 25 pts just before the half. He is a amazing talent on both ends. Love watching him play.
Like Reply
Dirk on TNT right now with Charles and Ernie.... doing commentary.

They love that guy. Doesn't everybody?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Winter's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 07:04 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Edwards is getting it done. Has 25 pts just before the half. He is a amazing talent on both ends. Love watching him play.

Some real Kobe/Jordan vibes.
Like Reply
Den/Min shaping up to be a good series.
Like Reply
Edwards hype machine is about to go into overdrive. And it’s warranted. He is so damn good/young.
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 08:24 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: Edwards hype machine is about to go into overdrive.  And it’s warranted.  He is so damn good/young.

He's proving it's no hype. He's legit.
Like Reply
- Gobert and Towns needed all available fouls but they contained Jokic as good as it gets. Jokic needs to look for his own shot instead of trying to play pass first. Unselfish to a fault. Just like Luka when he passes up wide open floaters/layups for a late kick out.
- No one can defend Edwards. Too big for KCP. Too quick for Gordon. Denver needs to try something else (zone, box-and-one).
- In contrast to almost all guards from the early 10s Conley is still playing at a high level. Reminds me a little bit of J.Kidd in 2011. Just managing the game. Playing smart defense. Not really looking for his own shot but if he is needed he can hit a big three.
Like Reply
T-Wolves have more bigs to throw at Joker. Denver has no depth at Center. Unless Jordan and Nnaji get token minutes. T-Wolves have a better bench. This is going to be a interesting series. Minnesota has the team to compete vs Denver, going in there and stealing game one.
Like Reply
(05-04-2024, 08:31 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: - Gobert and Towns needed all available fouls but they contained Jokic as good as it gets. Jokic needs to look for his own shot instead of trying to play pass first. Unselfish to a fault. Just like Luka when he passes up wide open floaters/layups for a late kick out.
- No one can defend Edwards. Too big for KCP. Too quick for Gordon. Denver needs to try something else (zone, box-and-one).
- In contrast to almost all guards from the early 10s Conley is still playing at a high level. Reminds me a little bit of J.Kidd in 2011. Just managing the game. Playing smart defense. Not really looking for his own shot but if he is needed he can hit a big three.

Conley's resurrection is the most surprising thing about this Minnesota team to me. He looked totally done 2 years ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Luka77
Like Reply
As I said in the other thread, the Wolves are officially a major, major problem.
Like Reply
we should try something different on them in WCF like a lively-gafford-PJ rotation for the 4-5 positions with each guy taking 30 more minutes. Morris may deserve some cameos on certain occasions. Powell is not serviceable in the playoffs. it took Minny a season to figure out how to make their two bigs work well together and when it does they're a matchup nightmare even for the nuggets tbh.
Like Reply