Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 4.1 Average
AROUND the NBA: MIN Sweeps PHX!
League made an example of him to make others think twice before conducting something similar.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 11:48 AM)omahen Wrote: League made an example of him to make others think twice before conducting something similar.

You may not mean this, but I think of "making an example" as having a component of being overly harsh. I don't think this punishment was overly harsh. My opinion of course. But I don't think you can have any softness whatsoever regarding betting on games and rigging results. Folks in other sports have been banned for life for this same thing.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 2 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • mvossman, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 11:48 AM)omahen Wrote: League made an example of him to make others think twice before conducting something similar.

You can best believe, he's not the only one doing it. He's just the first to get caught. Star players with huge contracts would never do this I would think. They have the most to lose. The NBA and other sports got in bed with gambling, but they still have to uphold the integrity of the game.
Like Reply
League should launch an investigation into Michael Porter Jr. to show players just how deep this will run if you dare to try it.

Having a player bet on themselves is the first step to the dissolution of the league.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 12:34 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: League should launch an investigation into Michael Porter Jr. to show players just how deep this will run if you dare to try it.

Having a player bet on themselves is the first step to the dissolution of the league.

Is there evidence that MPJ has done this?
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 12:37 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Is there evidence that MPJ has done this?

I don't think he's that stupid. He just signed an extension.
Like Reply
Zion out for the playin game against Sacramento with a Hamstring. It says he will be evaluated again in the coming weeks. So it looks like he will be done regardless if they advance. Tough news. Fight all year and then sort of fall apart late but then lose your best player before an elimination game. Sometimes it is not fair.

Still not sure who is the tougher matchup for OKC. Whoever it is, getting #1 is going to payoff...at least for a more attractive first round matchup.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 12:25 PM)fifteenth Wrote: You may not mean this, but I think of "making an example" as having a component of being overly harsh. I don't think this punishment was overly harsh. My opinion of course. But I don't think you can have any softness whatsoever regarding betting on games and rigging results. Folks in other sports have been banned for life for this same thing.

What about the league and its refs? I certainly don't think the "betting and rigging" is a thing with refs right now after the scandals of prior years, but we have plenty of evidence and moral certainty that the league is doing the rigging thing, for its own perceived benefit ***right freaking now*** with the L.A. (Silver) Lakers. 

Porter's lifetime ban is the height of hypocrisy from where I'm sitting, but maybe I'm just full of the same crap you humbly accuse yourself of having issues with.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • rocky164, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 01:19 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: What about the league and its refs? I certainly don't think the "betting and rigging" is a thing with refs right now after the scandals of prior years, but we have plenty of evidence and moral certainty that the league is doing the rigging thing, for its own perceived benefit ***right freaking now*** with the L.A. (Silver) Lakers. 

Porter's lifetime ban is the height of hypocrisy from where I'm sitting, but maybe I'm just full of the same crap you humbly accuse yourself of having issues with.

Any ref that cheats should get a lifetime ban as well. 

I don't buy the "the league is rigged" stuff. Got evidence?
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 01:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Any ref that cheats should get a lifetime ban as well. 

https://youtu.be/upakfJi9wPA?si=dWHaxTkQhXi47e5I

To be an NBA fan in 2024 requires being a smark to not be a mark.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 01:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Any ref that cheats should get a lifetime ban as well. 

The Lakers freethrow disparity compared to the rest of the league is an all time outlier. One could try to argue that they are really good at drawing fouls and not fouling on defense but they would have to be the best to ever do it by a decent margin to explain the disparity.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/pacer...ding-stat/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And it obviously doesn't help when NBA refs have close personal ties to players. A former college teammate and personal friend of Udonis Haslem that was born and raised in Miami shouldn't be asked to officiate a Heat playoff game. For the same reason international games are officiated by referees from third countries. Almost like they are asking for outrage and controversy.

https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-fans-call-...miami-heat
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not to even mention the Foster/CP3 saga. Thankfully they finally realized that having both of them on the floor together can lead to no good.

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/11/24/chris-...e-thoughts
To get back to the gambling topic. Once again featuring Scott Foster. I get that friendship between refs is a thing but getting numerous phone calls from Donaghy before games and Donaghy calling his middle man a few minutes later is highly suspicious.

https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/scot...at-game-3/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And last but not least. An all time classic. Mavs record "against" Dan Crawford.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/blo...tml?p=9295

I wouldn't call it rigging (except for the gambling stuff) but just like any other human being refs have biases that influence their decision making. Intentionally or not they are going to make decisions that favor one team over the other. Maybe because they are facing a tough home crowd. Maybe because they have personal issues with certain players on the floor.
But that's not the real issue. The problem is the lack of accountability and control. NBRA is in control and blocks independent third party evaluations. Mistakes and issues are handled by former refs and other league officials. Resulting in nepotism and a frat mentality where members protect each other instead of trying to improve the product/performance.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • mvossman, SleepingHero, surfpuckmd
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 01:43 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: https://youtu.be/upakfJi9wPA?si=dWHaxTkQhXi47e5I

To be an NBA fan in 2024 requires being a smark to not be a mark.

My brother. That's not evidence. That's speculation put to sad music with a guy telling you that it's obvious you should believe the speculation.
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 02:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I wouldn't call it rigging (except for the gambling stuff) but just like any other human being refs have biases that influence their decision making. Intentionally or not they are going to make decisions that favor one team over the other. Maybe because they are facing a tough home crowd. Maybe because they have personal issues with certain players on the floor.

But that's not the real issue. The problem is the lack of accountability and control. NBRA is in control and blocks independent third party evaluations. Mistakes and issues are handled by former refs and other league officials. Resulting in nepotism and a frat mentality where members protect each other instead of trying to improve the product/performance.

This is a reasonable take. But your conclusion is way different from "the league is rigged."
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply

He literally altered his play on the court due to betting.  I don't know what sport where that would not be lifetime ban.
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 12:37 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Is there evidence that MPJ has done this?

Zero evidence at all. 

Despite that I want the league to go out of their way by metaphorically dropping a nuke on Porter and all of his connections to the league.

No shot MPJ is that dumb but if the league goes out of their way to show just how annoying and ruthless they will be if you dare to question the integrity of the game, it might scare enough guys to not risk their 7 figure deals.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 02:52 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Zero evidence at all. 

Despite that I want the league to go out of their way by metaphorically dropping a nuke on Porter and all of his connections to the league.

No shot MPJ is that dumb but if the league goes out of their way to show just how annoying and ruthless they will be if you dare to question the integrity of the game, it might scare enough guys to not risk their 7 figure deals.

As a Mavs fan, I don't get having this attitude after 2006 happened. The past issues were refs rigging and betting. I understand that that isn't happening anymore, and that it's at least as bad if it's a player doing it. However, I believe that the fix was in on LA due to their allegiance to the Lakers' legacy status among teams and the PR/fan interest/financial consequences for the sake of the league. Ask the Blazers with that series against the Lakers. Ask Dirk about the '06 Heat. Ask Donaghy about it. 

I'm not asserting that the league is the WWE. I'm asserting that the game is profoundly compromised until there is a comprehensive outside audit and until ref accountability is ratcheted up about 100 times more pressingly than it is now. Put in a three strikes system - if you or your reffing team blow a call that determines the outcome of a game, first strike is a steep fine, second strike is a long suspension, and third strike you're out of a job.

Edit: After a bit I realized my stupidity in saying that the league needs to police the refs more when my hypothesis is that the refs are acting in accordance with league wishes. There needs to be some kind of governmental anti-trust intervention to fix it.
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 02:52 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Zero evidence at all. 

Sad

Is it ok if they wait and find another guilty party and just ban that guy?
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 06:33 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Good points. They also need a PG. CJ is a SG, who is playing the point along with Zion who brings the ball up court and initiates the offense. The West is only going to get tougher with teams like Memphis (who suffered major injuries) Houston who showed major improvement, and N.O. who just needs a tweak or two, and will replace the old guard teams such as the Warriors.

The Pelicans are at their best when Zion initiates the offense.  CJ is definitely best off-ball.  I don't know if they need a traditional point guard but they would benefit from trading Ingram for a guy who will provide more spacing and try harder on defense.  Preferably, that player could handle the ball occasionally as well.
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 08:26 AM)youzigizag Wrote: How was Ingram's defense?

Not good.  The Lakers ran up the score when CJ and Ingram were both in the game.
Like Reply
(04-17-2024, 03:44 PM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Not good.  The Lakers ran up the score when CJ and Ingram were both in the game.

I asked because when he finally made the playoffs in 21/22...jury was still out on if he could be a star player in post season.  I remember reading that he showed up on both ends of the floor and there was no longer question marks about him after that.

I didnt watch last nights game...I know he got benched which isnt good.

Ultimately...I asked because he is 6'8 and long and can score.  And...if he is still a two way performer...I bet he would look good with Luka.

Issues are his 36M next year and then UFA.   Also...he is 195lbs...PJ is 230lbs.   That weight helps PJ a lot in the paint scoring and rebounding.

Dont know about injury history.  He just came back from injury before last nights game.

I never followed Ingram closely...just knew he was long and could score.   Never new how strong he was or wasnt on defense...but supposedly the 21/22 playoffs he played in he was good on both ends.

Mavs have gotten rid of most of their flawed players and seem to be in a good spot.   I am still looking at long 2way players even if Mavs arent interested in finding those guys anymore.   Mavs do need a another reliable scorer, though...and Ingram does that.
Like Reply