Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
AROUND the NBA: Lakers Fire Darvin Ham
Here’s the link to Spotrac story a while back on the Renegotiate and Extend.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nba/nex...rner-1672/
Like Reply
(01-28-2023, 05:21 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote:  One interesting aspect of this is it informs the market for Poeltl and Wood.

I cannot believe IND is paying MT an additional $60M to get him for two more years. Crazy overpay IMO. I really hope the Mavs get this Wood situation right.
Like Reply
(01-28-2023, 06:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I cannot believe IND is paying MT an additional $60M to get him for two more years. Crazy overpay IMO. I really hope the Mavs get this Wood situation right.

In a world where everything looks like an overpay, it just  becomes the fair value

In a couple years I think it's going to look increasing bad that we didn't offer Brunson something close to his 5 year max
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
A very smart move by Indy, imho. Those 17 mil out of this year cap would be a cost for them in any case. Perhaps they lost an asset they could get for taking a bad contract into that, but who knows if there was something available. Turner is kept on a very tradeable deal going forward.
[-] The following 4 users Like omahen's post:
  • BigDirk41, DanSchwartzgan, Jym, loki
Like Reply
Great move from Indiana. It takes them up to the cap floor and now they've got an in demand center signed to a reasonable 20/yr for 2 more seasons.
[-] The following 4 users Like loki's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, mvossman, omahen, Tyler
Like Reply
Interesting tidbit that Turner can still be traded before the deadline. My working assumption is that he signed to stay, but...

Assuming that the trade match would be the new $35mm salary even though his contract drops a ton in the summer, that would open up some really unique trade possibilities. https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...7546523648
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
Looking around the league, our Wood trades are:

1) CHI: Vucevic/White/Green for Wood/Bullock/McGee (can we get Terry?)

2) MIA: Wood/Ntilikina for Robinson/Jovic/'23 MIA 1st (unprotected).

3) PHO: Dinwiddie/Wood/1st for Ayton.

4) BKN: Wood/Bullock for Harris/Edwards/Sharpe/'23 BKN 1st (unprotected).

TOR and CHA have plenty of talent to develop at C, won't trade for Wood.

2 & 4 would have to be followed by a big trade that spends the picks.

3 would be an all-in and leave us without a secondary ball handler.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
(01-28-2023, 06:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I cannot believe IND is paying MT an additional $60M to get him for two more years. Crazy overpay IMO. I really hope the Mavs get this Wood situation right.

This is shrewd management. They’ll have Turner on a 2/$41 deal. That’s a positive asset. 

You look at it like your boy Cuban. That’s $60 million coming out his pockets.  (Also see: Jalen Brunson)

Ownership is a competitive disadvantage for the Mavs.
Like Reply
(01-28-2023, 06:09 PM)omahen Wrote: Those 17 mil out of this year cap would be a cost for them in any case. Perhaps they lost an asset they could get for taking a bad contract into that, but who knows if there was something available.

My bad on not realizing they were below the cap floor. 

But even then, I might prefer a bad contract into that space for a 1st than this. 

But it is probably a wash.
Like Reply
Time to trade McGee + 2nd round pick + $6M in cash (call it a stupidity fine) to Indiana for Bitadze.  Cool
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/1619467894630367237
Like Reply
Don't see how anyone could say that's a bad deal for Turner. Carlisle + Haliburton has made Turner into exactly what everyone was hoping for when the Mavs maxed KP. Full skillset for a 5 (*with good guard play) with DPOY potential. Probably would be in the convo if the team was better and near a top seed. Efficiency is wayyyyy up. Pretty sad Carlisle could never get KP to even get remotely close to this level of play during his entire tenure here. Really on KP's mindset and knees both I'd say.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/stat...7388261377
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, Tyler
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...1761528832
Like Reply
Toronto is such a strange team.  I love their GM and Coach.    Siakam is good as is OG.    Barnes has not progressed, but I am still high on him.    Precious has been playing real well of late.    Van Fleet has a history as a former all star and Trent is a good player.   There bench is a concern after their main players.  But for a team that I think has always been tough to play against, there is no way they should be under .500 during this time of year.   

I still think they are positioned well moving forward.   With big salary decisions coming up, I can understand trying to cash in on Trent and Van Fleet, if you could return something of value and balance out their payroll moving forward.    But that team should be a 5-6 seed team that people don't want to play in the playoffs.  .
Like Reply
(01-28-2023, 06:34 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: Looking around the league, our Wood trades are:

1) CHI: Vucevic/White/Green for Wood/Bullock/McGee (can we get Terry?)

2) MIA: Wood/Ntilikina for Robinson/Jovic/'23 MIA 1st (unprotected).

3) PHO: Dinwiddie/Wood/1st for Ayton.

4) BKN: Wood/Bullock for Harris/Edwards/Sharpe/'23 BKN 1st (unprotected).

TOR and CHA have plenty of talent to develop at C, won't trade for Wood.

2 & 4 would have to be followed by a big trade that spends the picks.

3 would be an all-in and leave us without a secondary ball handler.

Ayton has warts, no doubt.  There has been times he played against Dallas where he has been very good.  There has also been times where he is invisible out there.   His trending line has been going down the last year as well.   

I certainly wouldn't want to give up picks for him, so I doubt there would be a fit for PHX.  But I would certainly strongly consider a Wood and Bullock offer.    Again, I am sure that is probably not what PHX is looking for.  But at his salary, the interest may be a little muted out in the market.
Like Reply
(01-29-2023, 07:03 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Toronto is such a strange team.

Their team has many holes. They basically just have wings. They lack a true PG and a true center. They lack shooting. Most importantly, they lack a true number 1. As good as Siakam is, he is just not good enough to bring his team to serious levels, he is not an alpha, imho. But put a Luka on that team, and I think they immediately become a dinasty.

I agree that despite all flaws I mentioned, one would still expect them to be better (they did have many injuries though, which should be taken into account). There were some roumblings that not everything is ok in the locker room.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/statu...2523014144
Like Reply
I am at my limit on NBA podcasts....already way behind.  But I will check this one out.   Will probably offer Mavs insight heading up to the deadline.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...7951859712
Like Reply
Interesting factoid about Indy's cap right now ....

The Turner deal moved them over the minimum team salary. In re-doing his current salary, they spent about $1.6M more than the minimum.

But they still have room to do a salary-eating trade with a tax-strapped team, in exchange for assets or to incentivize a favorable-to-Indy swap of players. At the moment, the Pacers remain almost $11M under this year's cap.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply