Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to Assess the Mav's Ledger
The foregone conclusion and general MavsForum consensus is that the team (Mavs) will be losing an asset without compensation because of mismanagement.

As demoralizing as that is, are we assuming the team will be weaker next season?
If the loss of Brunson factors, doesn't the addition of Wood also factor?
Will Hardaway, Jr. contribute zero?  Can a professional athlete who has learned to shoot the basketball, benchlifts 280 with ease, speaks articulately, never learn to play defense?
Will Doncic's conditioning not be problematic in the future as intimated by Nico and would that mean nothing?
Dragic, you say, will add zero as will whoever fills the other remaining roster spot?
[-] The following 5 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, F Gump, Kammrath, soog
Like Reply
Fair points.

To be honest, I don't want fair, after Cuban lied to us about his willingness to supposedly spend whatever it takes to keep Brunson. And then backed away when it was time to put his money where his mouth was.

But it's true that good moves can still happen (despite Cuban) - and they only need 2-3.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 12:31 AM)F Gump Wrote: Fair points.

To be honest, I don't want fair, after Cuban lied to us about his willingness to supposedly spend whatever it takes to keep Brunson. And then backed away when it was time to put his money where his mouth was.

But it's true that good moves can still happen (despite Cuban) - and they only need 2-3.

Cuban is easily out-classed and out-spent by Ballmar and Lacob/Guber.  He's a motorboat operator in a yacht race without the self-awareness to see the difference.
[-] The following 10 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, Branduil, F Gump, hakeemfaan, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, omahen, Smitty, WillE
Like Reply
(06-29-2022, 12:31 AM)F Gump Wrote: Fair points.

[...]

While all points are true, I think the reason for the disappointment is that with JB the overall perspective would appear at least one tier better, because he was one of these missing pieces that now have to be replaced.

However, taking emotions aside, the overall perspective at least for the next season are still good, because there is room for optimism that JB's production can be replaced e.g. by an increased role for Dinwiddie and the return of THJ.

Furthermore, JB's departure has also the positive effect, that the remaining players get more court time and thus their market values probably will increase, so that ultimately our chances to trade for missing pieces increased.
Like Reply
From WillE:
"Furthermore, JB's departure has also the positive effect, that the remaining players get more court time and thus their market values probably will increase, so that ultimately our chances to trade for missing pieces increased."

That's probably the clearest example of "glass half full" I've ever read.

WAB
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 03:42 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: From WillE:
"Furthermore, JB's departure has also the positive effect, that the remaining players get more court time and thus their market values probably will increase, so that ultimately our chances to trade for missing pieces increased."

WAB

Half full or half empty, I'll take whatever he is drinking.  Smile
Like Reply
(06-28-2022, 11:58 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: The foregone conclusion and general MavsForum consensus is that the team (Mavs) will be losing an asset without compensation because of mismanagement.

As demoralizing as that is, are we assuming the team will be weaker next season?
If the loss of Brunson factors, doesn't the addition of Wood also factor?
Will Hardaway, Jr. contribute zero?  Can a professional athlete who has learned to shoot the basketball, benchlifts 280 with ease, speaks articulately, never learn to play defense?
Will Doncic's conditioning not be problematic in the future as intimated by Nico and would that mean nothing?
Dragic, you say, will add zero as will whoever fills the other remaining roster spot?

All great points. As much as I love Brunson, the Mavs will be better next year. I would say that simply with the addition of Wood. He adds a dimension to the team that haven't had in a looooong time.
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 03:47 PM)soog Wrote: As much as I love Brunson, the Mavs will be better next year.

Better than they were last year, maybe. Not for sure, and some would say that's unlikely, but it's possible. 

Better than what we expected during the wonderful, carefree time between the Wood trade and this awful disaster? NOOOOOOO.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 03:50 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Better than they were last year, maybe. Not for sure, and some would say that's unlikely, but it's possible. 

Better than what we expected during the wonderful, carefree time between the Wood trade and this awful disaster? NOOOOOOO.

So it depends on how we judge how good they were/will be.

Will they go deeper in playoffs? Unlikely, because a lot has to go right. A lot went right last year even though they were a flawed team.

Next year their strength of guard play should be slightly less strong, but remember, this is where you have one of the best players in the world filling that role. On the other hand their front court will be significantly stronger, shoring up a big shortcoming of last year's team.

I expect their advanced stats to be better and for them to have a better record, though I do think it is very possible they miss the WCF.
Like Reply
The Mavs got played in high stakes free agency yet again. They are chumps in that regard and apparently cheap as well.  JB was a big loss and a value signing for the Knicks considering his age and the fact that $104 million will soon be just a mid level player.  But, the Mavs are and did pretty good with trades and small free agency moves, and Hardy was an absolutely great draft pick, so some progress.  I don’t really count THJ as an upgrade since all that would mean is you expect to have better injury luck. Plus, he was terrible before the injury. The team was miles better without him. Maybe he’ll relearn to shoot since he’s now essential. I do think he’ll be better, but someone else will get injured. It’s part of the game. 

Bottom line, unless that injury is Luka, the Mavs will win 50 plus games. He’s the NBA’s best player, and you’d have to be a certifiably moronic franchise to not succeed with him on your roster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 03:47 PM)soog Wrote: All great points. As much as I love Brunson, the Mavs will be better next year. I would say that simply with the addition of Wood. He adds a dimension to the team that haven't had in a loooooooooooooooooong time.

Thanks
Like Reply
Should we do a pre-season poll of Mavs projected wins in '22-23?

And BTW, if you've either minimized or complained bitterly about the loss of Brunson, your projection had better reflect that...
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 04:18 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Should we do a pre-season poll of Mavs projected wins in '22-23?

And BTW, if you've either minimized or complained bitterly about the loss of Brunson, your projection had better reflect that...

Has Nico finished working his magic?
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 03:42 PM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: From WillE:

WAB
You're taking this quote out of context, and the fact you do it does tell quite something about you...

But for your understanding: JB's departure is a big loss. Period. Once that is accepted, we have to move forward and since we before agreed that we still had to imorove by trades, that route's chances actually increased. Not the overall roster, but only the probability to add another piece through a trade.

Can you agree on that or still too positive?
Like Reply
(07-01-2022, 04:03 PM)soog Wrote: So it depends on how we judge how good they were/will be.

Will they go deeper in playoffs? Unlikely, because a lot has to go right. A lot went right last year even though they were a flawed team.

Next year their strength of guard play should be slightly less strong, but remember, this is where you have one of the best players in the world filling that role. On the other hand their front court will be significantly stronger, shoring up a big shortcoming of last year's team.

I expect their advanced stats to be better and for them to have a better record, though I do think it is very possible they miss the WCF.

The aim is to reduce Luka’s role so that he remains fresh in the clutch. Will getting Dragic help offset some of this? Sure.  However you saw what some star players said about Brunson.  The guy was a handful and Dragic is older.  We will miss Brunson. 

Plus the main point in all this is again not that Brunson is gone. Whether the team offsets his loss to a small extent or to a large extent, the main issue is that you lost him for nothing. 

There is a price to pay when you keep engaging in poor asset management. See again how SA traded Murray two years early.  That’s how you play the game if you rate someone a certain way and know that you don’t want to get into a bidding war for him later. That’s  how you stack up on picks and players to swing a trade for a bigger piece later.  Luka won’t say anything publicly. However unless he is just happy to hog the ball and not care of wins or losses, he knows this franchise has messed up this thing. He is watching. His timeline to win is now. Meanwhile Nico is learning how to be a GM.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen
Like Reply