Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.83 Average
TDL Archived: The 2nd Rnd Pick Yankee Swap
(02-05-2023, 11:34 PM)cow Wrote: The 1st was for dumping 4x JAGs.  Returning an 18-8 rotational piece as part of that trade is a massive win no matter what Wood's future is with the team.

The 4 JAGs were expiring. They would be gone ANYWAY. The 1st was for Wood.
Like Reply
I don't like the Morris brothers, but every team needs a tough guy/enforcer. They are both really annoying to other teams so he might come in handy at times.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:38 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The Morris brothers and Kyrie share the same agent (same agent who reps Burke and WCS).  Wood for Marcus?  Not endorsing, just musing.  Would much prefer Zubac.

Can we also get Andrew Bynum out of retirement so that I can really hate this team?
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:36 PM)Branduil Wrote: I don't really get why you'd want to immediately trade an 18/8 guy for pennies when you just decided to go all in and there's 0% chance of you getting a better frontcourt player but then I have a lot less experience with running NBA franchises into the grave than Cuban

Well, as trumped up and exaggerated as I have always felt the "Wood can't defend" complaints are, I think we'd all agree that he's more offense than defense, yeah? 

In theory, this entire team is now a vehicle for Luka and Kyrie to take turns creating out of iso. Some won't like that - I don't love it - but offense, in theory, is covered now. The immediate problem is absolutely defense. Wood, while not the BAD defender some claim, is certainly not a GREAT defender. 

Plus, assuming, as they must be, that they're about to pay through the nose for Irving, the idea of giving wood a big 4-year deal probably isn't all that enticing.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...9411139586
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, as trumped up and exaggerated as I have always felt the "Wood can't defend" complaints are, I think we'd all agree that he's more offense than defense, yeah? 

In theory, this entire team is now a vehicle for Luka and Kyrie to take turns creating out of iso. Some won't like that - I don't love it - but offense, in theory, is covered now. The immediate problem is absolutely defense. Wood, while not the BAD defender some claim, is certainly not a GREAT defender. 

Plus, assuming, as they must be, that they're about to pay through the nose for Irving, the idea of giving wood a big 4-year deal probably isn't all that enticing.
Okay so who is this magical good defensive C they're about to trade for then? And they're still gonna need someone who can rebound and score in the P&R as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, as trumped up and exaggerated as I have always felt the "Wood can't defend" complaints are, I think we'd all agree that he's more offense than defense, yeah? 

Yes, his fit on this team diminished with the Kyrie trade.  Its a shame there is so little interest in him.  The right move may simply be to hold onto him for now and see what happens next offseason.

The move they have to make is to send Timmy out (and probably a first) for a defensive big wing.  No way Crowder is worth a first.  What defensive big wing might be available for Timmy and a first?
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:45 PM)Branduil Wrote: Okay so who is this magical good defensive C they're about to trade for then? And they're still gonna need someone who can rebound and score in the P&R as well.

Hey man, just trying to connect the dots. Don't expect me to defend what they're doing, because I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:39 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The 4 JAGs were expiring. They would be gone ANYWAY. The 1st was for Wood.

No.  You'd pay to dump the last year of each of those contracts which is the majority of the first round pick you paid.  Dumping 10M isn't free.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • doorsted
Like Reply
Clippers should be sending out a first if they want Wood.

Mavs: Vanderbilt, Olynyk, Morris

Clips: Wood, Frank

Jazz: Bertans, Filler from clippers, 1st rounder from Clippers

We get a serviceable center, DFS replacement, and Morris Brothers are one big happy family. ?
[-] The following 1 user Likes LukaDrive's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:54 PM)mvossman Wrote: No way Crowder is worth a first.

Funny you say that, because not 24 hours ago, half this board was ganging up on me saying the same thing about Kyrie Irving.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
"If Dallas has its way, this won’t be the only roster change that occurs prior to Thursday’s 3 p.m. ET trade deadline, according to team sources granted anonymity so that they could speak freely. The decision-makers are continuing to explore other trades, and it’s clear the roster lacks wing defending and depth after Finney-Smith’s departure."

https://theathletic.com/4158540/2023/02/...ka-doncic/
Like Reply
I really think getting Vanderbilt and one of the players who can dribble from Utah covers our weaknesses and makes us scary.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
I've been right about like the last 5 things everyone chastised me about. Once that Crowder trade happens and everyone is done vomiting, maybe some people will start to listen to me. 

Kevin Love makes sense to me, too, but I'm not sure THJ is enough to get Cleveland to swallow McGee or Bertans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:13 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I've been right about like the last 5 things everyone chastised me about. Once that Crowder trade happens and everyone is done vomiting, maybe some people will start to listen to me. 

Kevin Love makes sense to me, too, but I'm not sure THJ is enough to get Cleveland to swallow McGee or Bertans.

What does a Crowder trade look like?
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:11 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: I really think getting Vanderbilt and one of the players who can dribble from Utah covers our weaknesses and makes us scary.

Jordan Clarkson please.
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 11:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Funny you say that, because not 24 hours ago, half this board was ganging up on me saying the same thing about Kyrie Irving.

To be fair, they paid market price (you saw the other offers).  Its just that his market was just higher than most expected.  This is not a route I wanted them to take, but they did not bid against themselves on this one.
[-] The following 5 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, doorsted, SleepingHero, Smitty, The Jom
Like Reply
Me and Dougie on the same page.

[Image: giphy.gif]
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:26 AM)cow Wrote: Jordan Clarkson please.

I'm going to suggest that we don't need to pay any more assets for guys who are not plus defenders.  They can stagger Luka and Kyrie so they will always have one on the court.
[-] The following 2 users Like mvossman's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-06-2023, 12:31 AM)mvossman Wrote: Its just that his market was just higher than most expected.

But not higher than I expected!

And, I'm telling you now, Crowder is going to go for more than you or I would pay for him, and I bet the Mavs have an offer in. No idea if they'll win the bid, but there's literally no sense in hoarding a single asset at this point. We are officially in the bizarro world.
Like Reply