Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey]
Seems like we all coveted Robert Covington when he was on the trade block.

Sadiq Bey feels like a young Robert Covington

Draft Sadiq Bey.

Give him Justin Jackson minutes as a 3 & D bench guy who can actually 3 and D.
Like Reply
Omahen said "I don't know anything about this kind of theory and never saw it posted here. I don't know why you are using this as an argument."

Once upon a time "draft and stash" was talked about a lot around here. One of the reasons is that the Mavs tried it a few times. And then someone mentioned "draft and stash" just above M2012's post. That's why he addressed it. I agree with him, no draft and stash!!

Got to keep the "15th and M2012
are pals post lockdown" theme going :-)
Like Reply
(07-18-2020, 10:16 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Seems like we all coveted Robert Covington when he was on the trade block.

Draft Sadiq Bey.

Likely to be gone by 18  Sad
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(07-18-2020, 12:52 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 10:16 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Seems like we all coveted Robert Covington when he was on the trade block.

Draft Sadiq Bey.

Likely to be gone by 18  Sad

I've seen him in the lottery and I've seen him still there after the Mav's draft.  Who knows at this point.  I'm also favorable toward Patrick Williams of Fl. State.  One note, we can combine our first with #31 to move up if the team feels strongly about someone.

I'm starting to think of team building in terms of bigs, big wings, shooting wings and ball handlers.  Lineups probably need one of each, but with our positional flexibility, the fifth player can be from basically any group.

If we could draft Bey or Williams at 18, they would fit into the big wing category.  I've been studying big and big wing Free Agents and I'm starting to conclude that everyone I like will be more than the MLE.  I think I'd rather take a flyer on Josh Jackson than trade to a salary match over $10 million.  I'm willing to pay up for Jackson as long as I have an out with some non-guaranteed years after year one.  I'm also a fan of the idea of dealing Jackson/Brunson and #31 for Luke Kennard.

That leaves you with 11 good players spread fairly evenly among the four positions.  I realize teams don't play 11 man rotations, but we constantly have someone hurt.  Plus, if we are to ever land a superstar by trade, we need useful depth.

Bigs:..................  KP/Maxi/Powell          
Big Wings:.......... Jo. Jackson/DFS/P. Williams  
Shooting Wings: ..THJ/Kennard                    
Ball Handlers: .....Luka/Curry/Wright

That doesn't give us a third star, but you have some upside in Jackson, Williams and Kennard to grow into 3rd/4th starter types and your bench will be outstanding.
Like Reply
I don't get the whole "we don't need project" and we are in win now mode?
I mean This squad is relatively young, all the team is born in 90's (all under 30 till now) except Barea/Boban & Lee who were all one of the least players to get minutes.
I don't know the numbers but I think we are one of the youngest teams in the NBA
We are 7th in the west. We are probably 2 years away from even being a real contender, when we actually became capable of playing defense as a top 5 or at worst top 10 defense in the league.
If there is a time to bank on a project it is now.

I still can't get over the mistakes we made in 2013 draft when we went for win now mode and didn't take the player we thought he is the best.
If the player we rate the highest 3-5 years from now is a project then be it, if he is a senior from college who we see as a potential starter 3d or lock down defender then no problem.
No need at all to limit our choices with such approach, it is a recipe for disaster.
Like Reply
(07-18-2020, 10:53 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Omahen said "I don't know anything about this kind of theory and never saw it posted here. I don't know why you are using this as an argument."

Once upon a time "draft and stash" was talked about a lot around here. One of the reasons is that the Mavs tried it a few times. And then someone mentioned "draft and stash" just above M2012's post. That's why he addressed it. I agree with him, no draft and stash!!

Got to keep the "15th and M2012
are pals post lockdown" theme going :-)
Same kinda crap was said about Luka on this community some saying he was not on the same level as Ayton and Bama and others...not athletic, College is harder than Euro Ball, high floor low ceiling...his game would not translate well...

Can't get meaningful minutes on this team to develop... Huh ...even though some say different Rick will develop him if he is worth developing even as a non veteran rookie player...

Exact same bias going on again...if Donnie and Tony believe in him he will be drafted...no one on this board or in the NBA are better connected and scout Europe better...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(07-18-2020, 08:00 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Exact same bias going on again

I wish you would stop with this nonsense. What bias? Because someone thinks Pokusevski is not NBA ready (which is what every scout is saying, also his current coach), he is biased to him because he is from Europe? There was absolutely no one having doubts about him because he is European. Doubts are because of what he looks like physically and because of his performances. 

(07-18-2020, 08:00 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: if Donnie and Tony believe in him he will be drafted

Again, who are these guys??? It will be as writers on this forum say!

(07-18-2020, 08:00 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Same kinda crap was said about Luka on this community some saying he was not on the same level as Ayton and Bama and others

So people can't have their own opinions here?

I am not really convinced about Pokusevski, he looks far from a sure thing and a lot of things can go wrong before he will be ready to contribute. I doubt Dallas has the luxury to be patient with his development. I doubt Dallas has the luxury to leave him in Europe for two more years to develop. I doubt Pokusevski is worth a #18 pick. I would draft a guy who is ready to contribute immediately and is a 3-D wing. I would consider him at #31 or trading down from #18 if all guys that I like are gone at #18.
Like Reply
Omahen: "Again, who are these guys??? It will be as writers on this forum say!"

It would he so cool if Donnie and Tony posted here!
Like Reply
Can we stop with the Doncic-Pokusevski comparisations. One was euroleague MVP and the other has played two games without making a single FG.
Like Reply
(07-18-2020, 09:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Can we stop with the Doncic-Pokusevski comparisations. One was euroleague MVP and the other has played two games without making a single FG.
Well as long as others pretend that every college junior/senior becomes an immediate 3&D wing contributor (on a contender), because Thybulle and Clarke (who is even older than a normal college senior) are not the norm for that either. I for example don´t want to spend a pick on a 21 year old 270 pound center that committs 2.5 TOPG, while playing catch and dunk, and shoots 44% from the FT line.
Like Reply
(07-19-2020, 04:30 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(07-18-2020, 09:51 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Can we stop with the Doncic-Pokusevski comparisations. One was euroleague MVP and the other has played two games without making a single FG.
Well as long as others pretend that every college junior/senior becomes an immediate 3&D wing contributor (on a contender), because Thybulle and Clarke (who is even older than a normal college senior) are not the norm for that either. I for example don´t want to spend a pick on a 21 year old 270 pound center that committs 2.5 TOPG, while playing catch and dunk, and shoots 44% from the FT line.

I wouldn´t use the 18th pick on Azubuike but the 31th? Without thinking twice. Being 21 is a problem? I guess the Mavs shouldn´t have picked Brunson who was a year older when he was drafted. Why exactly is the weight a problem? It´s an advantage as long as he is able to move as quickly as he does.
There are probably worse options than a center that averaged the highest FG% in NCAA history and lead his team to a 28-3 record. Not to mention that he was named NABC defensive player of the year and Big 12 player of the year.

I am not saying that Pokusevski isn´t a good prospect or that the Mavs shouldn´t pick other euros. I am just not buying the Doncic comparisations. Or in case of bigman the Dirk comparisations. There is a difference between a can´t miss talent like Luka (the best player in europe when he was drafted) and a prospect that just finished his first real pro season. Only playing limited minutes and barely against the best opponents (euro league).
Those kind of prospects are hit or miss. For every Dirk, KP or Giannis we have Bender, Hezonja or Vesely.
As you pointed out the same applies for NCAA players. The location doesn´t really matter. It´s all about talent evaluation. The Mavs are among the best in the league when it comes to oversea scouting so I trust them to make the right call on a player like Pokusevski.
To sum it up. Is Pokusevski NBA ready? I don´t know but his coaches in europe did not think that he was ready for a starting role or big minutes in greece national competitions or the euro league. Is he worth it as a longtime project? I don´t know but I hope that the responsible decision makers do.
Like Reply
(07-19-2020, 05:17 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 04:30 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

I wouldn´t use the 18th pick on Azubuike but the 31th? Without thinking twice. Being 21 is a problem? I guess the Mavs shouldn´t have picked Brunson who was a year older when he was drafted. Why exactly is the weight a problem? It´s an advantage as long as he is able to move as quickly as he does.
There are probably worse options than a center that averaged the highest FG% in NCAA history and lead his team to a 28-3 record. Not to mention that he was named NABC defensive player of the year and Big 12 player of the year.

I am not saying that Pokusevski isn´t a good prospect or that the Mavs shouldn´t pick other euros. I am just not buying the Doncic comparisations. Or in case of bigman the Dirk comparisations. There is a difference between a can´t miss talent like Luka (the best player in europe when he was drafted) and a prospect that just finished his first real pro season. Only playing limited minutes and barely against the best opponents (euro league).
Those kind of prospects are hit or miss. For every Dirk, KP or Giannis we have Bender, Hezonja or Vesely.
As you pointed out the same applies for NCAA players. The location doesn´t really matter. It´s all about talent evaluation. The Mavs are among the best in the league when it comes to oversea scouting so I trust them to make the right call on a player like Pokusevski.
To sum it up. Is Pokusevski NBA ready? I don´t know but his coaches in europe did not think that he was ready for a starting role or big minutes in greece national competitions or the euro league. Is he worth it as a longtime project? I don´t know but I hope that the responsible decision makers do.
Like Reply
Lauri Markkennen, who was a considerably better prospect than Poku coming out, is struggling to find efficient offense and play defense on the NBA level for a terrible lottery team. What is Poku going to do on a playoff caliber team? Will he get shots or minutes to work him self to an NBA caliber player? His shooting, passing and body leave a lot be desired. Poku is a more athletic Nick Fezekas, another Donnie special. I would pass.

I'm also not a huge fan of S.Bey. I don't think he is going to be the defender people are expecting on the NBA level and ceiling is low to non existent.

Assuming the Mavs can't trade for a young veteran NBA player using both draft picks, I would look to trade up for Nesmith or Vessell. If that doesn't work draft Kira Lewis or Leandro Bolmaro (hopefully both).
Like Reply
(07-19-2020, 11:48 AM)Playmaker Wrote: Assuming the Mavs can't trade for a young veteran NBA player using both draft picks, I would look to trade up for Nesmith or Vessell.  If that doesn't work draft Kira Lewis or Leandro Bolmaro (hopefully both).

Josh Green is listed at #18 on a few mock draft sites.  What is the boards opinion of this player?
Like Reply
(07-19-2020, 01:56 PM)chaparral Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 11:48 AM)Playmaker Wrote: Assuming the Mavs can't trade for a young veteran NBA player using both draft picks, I would look to trade up for Nesmith or Vessell.  If that doesn't work draft Kira Lewis or Leandro Bolmaro (hopefully both).

Josh Green is listed at #18 on a few mock draft sites.  What is the boards opinion of this player?

One of my rules, once you get past the first few picks, is I want at least one NBA ready skill.  Could be rebounding.  Could be shooting.  Steals translate really well from college to the NBA.  If you have one thing that will get you on a NBA court, then you can hang around long enough to add to your game.  DFS had defense.  Curry had shooting.

Green looks like an NBA ready defender with little else a sure thing at this point.  But he's young and has a high motor.  I'm a little higher on S. Bey and Patrick Williams, but if they are both gone, I'd be fine with Green being the pick given what is there in the mock drafts I've seen.
Like Reply
(07-19-2020, 11:48 AM)Playmaker Wrote: Lauri Markkennen, who was a considerably better prospect than Poku coming out, is struggling to find efficient offense and play defense on the NBA level for a terrible lottery team

I think Lauri's struggles are more of a conversaiton of environment and system fit vs. indivudal talent suceeding. 

Lauri showed he can perform in the NBA. He posted solid averages his rookie year with 15ppg and 7.5 rpg on 43/36/84
He then followed that up with a great second year that was cut short from injuries with 19ppg and 9rpg on 43/36/87

It was at that point the Bulls hired Boylen and instantly ruined any chemistry that team had. He instituted an odd offense and set unrealistic expectations for his team (remember the "we can average 35 assists a game" comment?) all the while reducing Lauri's role to nothing more than a spot up shooter on his best nights. 

So we shouldn't be using him as an excuse to put down Poku as a prospect, regardless of Poku's own individual shortcomings. 

That's not to say I think we should pick Poku at 18 or even at 31. I think Poku is going to be as raw of a prospect as they come. His natural measurements make him incredibly intriguing and the tools are there. But I'd rather find a way to pick him mid-late 2nd round if he falls and go with a more established guy at 18 and 31 like Saddiq Bey and Patrick Williams. 

The volatility of this draft could mean that any number of the prospects we're talking about could fall drastically or could go much higher than expected. So as KG said "anything is pooooooossiiibleeeee". If we're going to reach, I'd rather reach on a guy like RJ Hampton.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(07-19-2020, 07:22 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(07-19-2020, 11:48 AM)Playmaker Wrote: Lauri Markkennen, who was a considerably better prospect than Poku coming out, is struggling to find efficient offense and play defense on the NBA level for a terrible lottery team

I think Lauri's struggles are more of a conversaiton of environment and system fit vs. indivudal talent suceeding. 

Lauri showed he can perform in the NBA. He posted solid averages his rookie year with 15ppg and 7.5 rpg on 43/36/84
He then followed that up with a great second year that was cut short from injuries with 19ppg and 9rpg on 43/36/87

It was at that point the Bulls hired Boylen and instantly ruined any chemistry that team had. He instituted an odd offense and set unrealistic expectations for his team (remember the "we can average 35 assists a game" comment?) all the while reducing Lauri's role to nothing more than a spot up shooter on his best nights. 

So we shouldn't be using him as an excuse to put down Poku as a prospect, regardless of Poku's own individual shortcomings. 

That's not to say I think we should pick Poku at 18 or even at 31. I think Poku is going to be as raw of a prospect as they come. His natural measurements make him incredibly intriguing and the tools are there. But I'd rather find a way to pick him mid-late 2nd round if he falls and go with a more established guy at 18 and 31 like Saddiq Bey and Patrick Williams. 

The volatility of this draft could mean that any number of the prospects we're talking about could fall drastically or could go much higher than expected. So as KG said "anything is pooooooossiiibleeeee". If we're going to reach, I'd rather reach on a guy like RJ Hampton.

I believe in Lauris talent.  He is one of the young veteran NBA players the Mavs should target in a trade.  However he was far far far more NBA read than Poku coming out and is still struggling to reach what people were expecting after year one.

If Poku works hard on his body, jumper and passing (a lot to ask) I think present day Lauri is his ceiling.   Thats hardly the super high crazy ceiling (Gannis, Luka) some are dropping in comparisons.

Poku is a poor mans Lauri or a rich mans Nick Fazekas.  

Also I like RJ since he is from Dallas.  I'm rooting for him to succeed but something about him reminds me of Austin Rivers, another highly rated recuit that didn't show out at the next level after highschool.  

Like Reply
#18 and #31 it is. Should be a fun outlook for draft night and give us plenty of options. Maybe even move up into the late lottery, who knows.
Like Reply
After watching Cameron Johnson start for a playoff-caliber team, as well as of course Donovan Mitchell a couple of years ago, I would love to see the Mavs simply draft well. If they doubt their ability to get someone good with their pick, they should trade it.
Like Reply
With the draft pick at 18, I'd be happy if they drafted Saddiq Bey or Josh Green. 

Saddiq Bey is 6'8 SF who plays great defense, not often jumping on the shot (like DFS does often) hits about 40% on three pointers. It would be redundant position with Finney-Smith already occupying his skill set unless he changes to slasher shooting guard. 

Josh Green is 6'6 SG, with a 3 point shot that reminds of you of Klay Thompson. Plays great off the ball for the catch and shoot, his defense seems decent to me, used to defending 1-3 position players. 

People are going to say the draft is week, but with a cancel NCAA basketball, we didn't really have much to measure abilities. 

If the Mavs are moving towards a high powered offensive team, they should go for scorers, instead of playmakers. Along with defensive capabilities.

Josh Green
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhsQWjIbgoI

Saddiq Bey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4np54Ynnd8&
Like Reply