Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey]
I'm going all in on FSU Patrick Williams. Seems to be exactly what we need as a versatile forward that just defends and hustles. I think he could be a valued DFS replacement should the need ever arise.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(03-30-2020, 07:22 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoPlvfO-n0

Precious doesn't look like the kind of guy that I would want to tease about his name...
Like Reply
That is why most team miss out on a 'star'. You always draft based on 'best available talent' or those that have the 'highest' upside. Worry about the fit later.
Like Reply
(04-16-2020, 05:09 AM)swaggerbox Wrote: That is why most team miss out on a 'star'. You always draft based on 'best available talent' or those that have the 'highest' upside. Worry about the fit later.

Speaking from experience? Smile
Like Reply
(04-16-2020, 05:09 AM)swaggerbox Wrote: That is why most team miss out on a 'star'. You always draft based on 'best available talent' or those that have the 'highest' upside.
 I think most try that. It´s just not that easy to know which player that is.

(04-15-2020, 09:04 PM)reckoner07 Wrote:
(03-30-2020, 07:22 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHoPlvfO-n0

Precious doesn't look like the kind of guy that I would want to tease about his name...

Doesn´t look like a guy I want to draft either. Does not appear to have good hands and looks like he has a very low ceiling.
Like Reply
What are the odds the Mavs make this pick?
Like Reply
Sam Vecenie, The Athletic draft guru, made this Mavs draft big board for pick #18:

1. Kira Lewis
2. Devin Vassel
3. Aaron Nesmith
4. Tyrese Maxey
5. Theo Maledon
6. Saddiq Bey
7. (trade)
8. R.J. Hampton
9. Patrick Williams

WILD CARD: Pokusevski (a tough read - Mavs have great international scouting and they know "the truth")

Several guards and centers are mentioned as options at #31. I don't understand why we would go for another PG, unless we trade either Wright or Brunson. Getting back up center could make sense as we will probably not invest more than vet min for that position anyway. It was even mentioned that #40 or lower could probably be bought for cash in this draft.

Final Vecenie thought: "This is a good draft for Dallas and I wouldn't trade the pick if any of the first 6 remains available at #18. I am sure some will."
Like Reply
(04-22-2020, 12:31 PM)omahen Wrote: Sam Vecenie, The Athletic draft guru, made this Mavs draft big board for pick #18:

1. Kira Lewis
2. Devin Vassel
3. Aaron Nesmith
4. Tyrese Maxey
5. Theo Maledon
6. Saddiq Bey
7. (trade)
8. R.J. Hampton
9. Patrick Williams

WILD CARD: Pokusevski (a tough read - Mavs have great international scouting and they know "the truth")

Several guards and centers are mentioned as options at #31. I don't understand why we would go for another PG, unless we trade either Wright or Brunson. Getting back up center could make sense as we will probably not invest more than vet min for that position anyway. It was even mentioned that #40 or lower could probably be bought for cash in this draft.

Final Vecenie thought: "This is a good draft for Dallas and I wouldn't trade the pick if any of the first 6 remains available at #18. I am sure some will."
https://giphy.com/gifs/Z91wshOLQ8wGQ
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(04-22-2020, 12:31 PM)omahen Wrote: Sam Vecenie, The Athletic draft guru, made this Mavs draft big board for pick #18:

1. Kira Lewis
2. Devin Vassel
3. Aaron Nesmith
4. Tyrese Maxey
5. Theo Maledon
6. Saddiq Bey
7. (trade)
8. R.J. Hampton
9. Patrick Williams

What does guard mean?

One big advantage / disadvantage of Luka is that we actually need a smaller "SG", who can actually switch and defend faster/smaller PGs. In that sense, we can still draft a positional/nominal PG or a small SG, who´d be undersized for the classical position of SG, but fits better into our team construct.

There we definitely have a need. We could do with a PG/SG (what Wright was supposed to be) and a SG/SF type defender.

Generally bigs either have to be able to shoot or be outrageously good defensively, otherwise you are not getting paid.  That means there are not many advantages to drafting just for back-up big potential, when you can sign them for minimal costs in free agency.

On the other hand being a semi-competent scorer/wing defender gets you paid better in free agency, so the cap-gain margin on a rookie deal is much better for a guard/wing than big/center.

I think the Mavs will just take the BPA approach.

Luka gives us the roster flexibility to make it work. Even Porzingis will need his rest/recovery periods during the regular season, so in case a rookie center shows outrageous promise, he can find enough minutes.
Like Reply
(04-22-2020, 05:02 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: What does guard mean?

PG. More specifically, we should be looking for one who can play on and off the ball (according to them)

(04-22-2020, 05:02 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: There we definitely have a need. We could do with a PG/SG (what Wright was supposed to be) and a SG/SF type defender.

I could agree to an extent. But now you have THJ at SG and Curry as back-up SG. As long as these two are around, there is not much place for another small guard. On the bench you have Wright, Brunson and Curry. They already don't fit playing together as they are too small and another small guard will not solve this. Of course if Mavs move Wright (or Brunson), #31 could be a nice option for third PG spot (assuming Barea retires).
Like Reply
https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/nba-draft-...rst-round/

Also saw Orlando and Sixers stories on this kid.  (15 and 22)
Like Reply
This draft is supposed to be PG deep and they see decent options at #31. And as centers are so undervalued, decent ones could be found even at #40+. That's why they were discussing the possibility to buy another second rounder for cash.

Btw. Philly has a first round and 4 second round picks in this draft. #22, #34, #36, #49 and #59. They will certainly not use all of them unless they stash a bunch of players. So if the 3 picks strategy is appealing to us, I could see them as number one possible partner. Buy #49 or perhaps even trade #31 - deal for #34, #36 and #59 would be intriguing. New Orleans has 3 second round picks.

Another possibility is to trade Jackson to someone for a second round pick. Perhaps someone with the pick in the range from 35-45 sees enough value in him to take that 1 year trial.

(04-22-2020, 05:32 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Also saw Orlando and Sixers stories on this kid.  (15 and 22)

This is a bit older piece. Vecenie is reporting that Lewis is getting a lot of buzz lately since teams have a lot of time to watch videos. He feels confident he will go between 10-20. Stocks of some others are falling. I somehow hope we go for SF and looks like either Vassel, Bey or Nesmith are ready to contribute immediately to an extent. All three are good shooters and the first two look capable playing some defense. 

https://theathletic.com/1761358/2020/04/...the-board/
Like Reply
New Bolmaro-footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZxJVUa3f0
Like Reply
Vecenie's latest mock:

18.Dallas Mavericks
R.J. Hampton | 6-5 guard | 18 years old | New Zealand Breakers

Hampton got hurt and shut things down in the NBL in January. It was encouraging that he held down a rotation spot on a pro team this year, but it wasn’t quite the wild success that many had hoped. I recently went deeper on Hampton, and explained why teams are struggling to reconcile his tape against other elite guards in this draft. The struggles shooting and the lack of success on defense, particularly, are the issues at play.
In general, I think the draft range is a bit wider on Hampton than what people think. It’s not impossible a team falls in love with the tools and takes him in the back half of the lottery. But it’s also a pretty real possibility he takes a bit of a tumble into the latter portion of the teens based on the feedback I’m getting after he averaged nine points and four rebounds per game in Australia with a 48.8 true-shooting percentage.
In terms of the role, the idea for Hampton is to be a solid combo guard who can switch between the 1 and the 2, given that his handle is pretty polished and his pull-up game has potential. But his jumper needs to be good for that to work in actuality, and it was terrible this season in Australia.
If I were the Mavericks and this is the way the board fell, I’d probably look more at the trade market. But Hampton does make a modicum of sense for them if they think he will keep getting better. They could use a bigger, secondary ballhandler next to Luka Doncic. Hampton does have good burst athletically, and has the potential to break down defenses. But yeah, the start to his pro career wasn’t completely ideal, and the way the board fell doesn’t totally work for what the Mavericks need.

31. Dallas Mavericks (via GSW)
Daniel Oturu | 6-10 center | 20 years old, sophomore | Minnesota

Oturu was one of the big risers within this draft cycle, going from something of an afterthought after a solid freshman campaign heading into the season to one of the best centers in college basketball. Oturu averaged 20.1 points and 11.3 rebounds per game while swatting away 2.5 shots per game. And even beyond that, he showed some potential as a shooter. He hit 36.5 percent of his nearly two 3-point attempts per game, and was up over 70 percent from the line. The mechanics also look good and should be workable long-term. He was an All-Big Ten performer and an All-Defense guy in the league.
The concerns here? First, he just doesn’t really pass it at all. His near-1-to-3 assist to turnover ratio is an issue. For him to become a potential starter at the center position, he’ll need to at least be able to make reads in short rolls. Also, at 6-10, even with good length, he’ll be slightly undersized for the position. Will the defense totally translate? Teams are a bit skeptical, but I think he’ll be fine given that he has a 7-2 wingspan, and he should be up over a 9-foot standing reach. He’ll be in the mix for teams starting in the teens, but the floor is always lower for big men because not everyone needs one, and there are only limited roster spots league-wide for centers. Still, Oturu is modern enough to where I think he has a real shot to go in Round 1. The Mavericks could use another backup center option, particularly with Dwight Powell’s injury and Boban Marjanovic’s general ineffectiveness.
Like Reply
https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/10...-campazzo/
Like Reply
(04-29-2020, 07:05 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Vecenie's latest mock:

He had all of more interesting options picked before. Hampton is questionable shooter and defender, missing exactly what we need. I would seek a trade in this case
Like Reply
I don't think Hampton is that bad of a pick.

He's an uber athletic playmaking combo guard with great size. We don't need him to carry the offense whatsoever. We just need him to fit in the role Wright is playing in currently.

If Hampton can become a good perimeter defender with added playmaking ability, and can hit 36% of his 3's he's exactly what we need.

His shot doesn't look broken fundamentally. I think he could develop to be a 36% 3pt shooter easily.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
It’s still unclear when the 2020 draft will take place, because of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. The draft can’t happen until after the 2019-20 season is over, and the league will hold off as long as possible before making any cancellations. League sources expect the NBA to push the draft from June 25 to August or September.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/4/30/...le-players
Like Reply
(04-30-2020, 04:28 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: It’s still unclear when the 2020 draft will take place

I wonder what is a deadline for the decision about how to finish this season? I would say end of May or first half of June is the latest.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...5220853761

(04-30-2020, 06:02 PM)omahen Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 04:28 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: It’s still unclear when the 2020 draft will take place

I wonder what is a deadline for the decision about how to finish this season? I would say end of May or first half of June is the latest.
June is my guess for now...
Like Reply