Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRgRZoiQaU
Like Reply
(04-01-2020, 09:54 AM)JamesConway Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRgRZoiQaU

I thought I read he was 7´3, but seems that was just his wingspan. Much better he´s just 7´0 and he moves really well. Unfortunately if this draft is as empty on top prospects as they say, he´ll probably find his way into the lottery. Then Gobert went 27th in such a draft.
European Twin Towers. Cool
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUVXqeiVfsk
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1248643346664480772
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
After watching a little more of Pokusevski I`m all-in. The kid looks like Andrei Kirilenko with a jumpshot. The Mavs need to launch the "he can´t bench press 150 pounds and will sign a four year deal in Spain"-campaign already.

My best case scenario would be him at #18 and Ramsey #31 (though I have seen him as high as #12). Really miss the quality and reliability of draftexpress).
Like Reply
Two more intrigueing prospects:

Bolnaro (big playmaker from Barca)

https://youtu.be/lCIz5pd0ecE

Oturu (versatile big, put up big numbers at college):

https://youtu.be/FVx1QVe-848
Like Reply
More prospects:

Jalen Smith (big man, athletic, can shoot, could be utilized a bit like Maxi here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM2wwc0JJko

Tyrell Terry from Stanford (great shooter, lenghty guard, thin but very young, combo SG/PG here I'd guess)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KteAgld4q6M

(04-11-2020, 01:09 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: After watching a little more of Pokusevski I`m all-in. The kid looks like Andrei Kirilenko with a jumpshot. The Mavs need to launch the "he can´t bench press 150 pounds and will sign a four year deal in Spain"-campaign already.

My best case scenario would be him at #18 and Ramsey #31 (though I have seen him as high as #12). Really miss the quality and reliability of draftexpress).
https://twitter.com/SKPearlman/status/12...35202?s=20

Big Grin Big Grin 

I really like him too. But I gotta say there are all kinds of prospects who I think have at least role player upside.

A while ago the only thing I wanted us to do was to avoid drafting a PG but I gotta say that I even like Maledon, too, now.

Another name is Saddiq Bey from Villanova. Big wing, tough defender, shoots the three well at the NCAA level. Knowing how much DAL liked Brunson two years ago I wouldn't be surprised to see us pick him up. He's mocked in our range, comes from a great system, has the tools to be an NBA wing. I like him a lot (but that goes for a whole bunch of other guys, too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KJgLBevdfM

Latest draftexpress mockdraft:

1. GSW - Ant Edwards (Best fit: Ball)
2. CLE - James Wiseman (Best fit: Okongwu)
3. ATL - Isaac Okoro (Best fit: Okoro)
4. MIN - LaMelo Ball (Best fit: Ball)
5. DET - Onyeka Okongwu (Best fit: Avdija)
6. NYK - Deni Avdija (Best fit: Ball)
7. CHI - Obi Toppin (Best fit: Haliburton)
8. CHA - Precious Achiuwa (Best fit: Okongwu)
9. WAS - Tyrese Haliburton (Best fit: Okongwu)
10. PHX - Killian Hayes (Best fit: Haliburton)
11. SAC - RJ Hampton (Best fit: McDaniels)
12. SAS - Tyrese Maxey (Best fit: Okoro)
13. POR - Cole Anthony (Best fit: Nesmith)
14. NO - Aaron Nesmith (Best fit: Nesmith)
15. BOS - Devin Vassell (Best fit: Bolmaro)
16. MIN - Jaden McDaniels (Best fit: S. Bey)
17. ORL - Theo Maledon (Best fit: Maledon)
18. MKE - Nico Mannion (Best fit: Nesmith)
19. DAL - Saddiq Bey (Best fit: S. Bey)
20. OKC - Patrick Williams (Best fit: Mannion)
21. BKN - Josh Green (Best fit: T. Bey)
22. DEN - Leandro Bolmaro (Best fit: S. Bey)
23. MIA - Robert Woodard II (Best fit: Woodard II)
24. UTA - Kira Lewis Jr. (Best fit: Lewis Jr.)
25. OKC - Jahmi'us Ramsey (Best fit: J. Smith)
26. BOS - Isaiah Stewart (Best fit: Stewart)
27. NYK - Vernon Carey Jr. (Best fit: Pritchard)
28. TOR - Aleksej Pokusevski (Best fit: Stewart)
29. LAL - Cassius Winston (Best fit: Mays)
30. BOS - Jalen Smith (Best fit: Winston)

31. DAL - Udoka Azubuike
32. CHA - Devon Dotson
33. PHI - Daniel Oturu
34. MIN - Zeke Nnaji
35. SAC - Tyler Bey
36. PHI - Payton Pritchard
37. WAS - Keyontae Johnson
38. NYK - Tre Jones
39. NO - Jordan Nwora
40. MEM - Amar Sylla
41. SAC - Corey Kispert
42. SAS- Abdoulaye N'Doye
43. POR - Jared Butler
44. NO - Malachi Flynn
45. CHI - Grant Riller
46. BOS - Skylar Mays
47. ORL - Elijah Hughes
48. IND - Cassius Stanley
49. GSW - Reggie Perry
50. OKC - Xavier Tillman
51. PHI - Paul Reed
52. ATL - Kenyon Martin Jr.
53. SAC - Ashton Hagans
54. GSW - Killian Tillie
55. BKN - Paul Eboua
56. CHA - John Petty Jr.
57. LAC - Nick Richards
58. TOR - Immanuel Quickley
59. PHI - Desmond Bane
60. NO - Markus Howard

Tankathon right now:

#18 Jaden McDaniels
#31 Leandro Bolmaro (the kid from Barcelona)
Like Reply
(04-13-2020, 09:25 AM)JamesConway Wrote: More prospects:

Scout reports are offering many interesting prospects in our range. I also noticed S. Bey and Terry. 

I wouldn't go after Pokusevski at #18. He is years away from NBA. He also only played in minor competitions in Europe (U18 and greek 2nd league) while they didn't dare playing him in top senior competitions as Luka did. I would (perhaps) pick him with 31. But I bet - if anyone knows European talents, than it is the Mavs Smile
Like Reply
(04-13-2020, 10:38 AM)omahen Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 09:25 AM)JamesConway Wrote: More prospects:

Scout reports are offering many interesting prospects in our range. I also noticed S. Bey and Terry. 

I wouldn't go after Pokusevski at #18. He is years away from NBA. He also only played in minor competitions in Europe (U18 and greek 2nd league) while they didn't dare playing him in top senior competitions as Luka did.

So you mean exactly like Giannis (and Dirk). Big Grin His numbers in the Greek 2nd division are actually superior to Giannis.

Seems the 1st team coach is pretty high on him (especially skill + IQ wise) and Bolmaro from Barcelona, but says developmental minutes are hard to come by, because it´s always a win now situation for the coach and the reward for developing a player is the NBA snatching him up with little compensation.

"As he explained: “We have NBA scouts for him almost in every practice and me and my coaching staff is getting a tone of calls for him. At this point, there’s pressure in the NBA on this matter. Teams don’t want to miss the next Doncic or the next Jokic. Those two players created anxiety to the NBA teams, which are asking themselves, why Dallas picked Doncic and how the Nuggets picked a fat guy, and now he almost averages a triple-double. Big Grin

There’s Bolmaro in Barcelona, who got the chance to get some minutes this season, due to injuries. And that’s it. When the senior players returned, he didn’t have the chance to play. I expect him to be among the 15 top picks this year....

Why step away from a winning formula. Our North American scouting stinks.
Like Reply
(04-13-2020, 12:54 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: "As he explained: “We have NBA scouts for him almost in every practice and me and my coaching staff is getting a tone of calls for him. At this point, there’s pressure in the NBA on this matter. Teams don’t want to miss the next Doncic or the next Jokic. Those two players created anxiety to the NBA teams, which are asking themselves, why Dallas picked Doncic and how the Nuggets picked a fat guy, and now he almost averages a triple-double. Big Grin

Yes, developmental minutes are hard to get by, because they are pressured with result. Meaning only one thing - he is not ready to play at Euroleague/Greek first league level. You conveniently left out the other part of the coach statement:

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]he has issues with his lack of physicality, which is something natural. And there’s also the question in which position he can defend and by extension in which position he will play in the NBA. For example, I was asked, can he be the next Bjelica? Can he be the next Nowitzki? What I can say for sure at this point is that I am surprised by his basketball IQ. His environment will play a pivotal role – because he is still a kid – and also his work ethic. He has potential. I don’t think that he is ready to play in the NBA, and he will need to go to a team that will work with him and develops him for the next two or three years.”[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]Do you think Dallas is looking for someone to develop over next 2-3 years? Guy weights 180 pounds at 7 feet tall. [/color]

(04-13-2020, 12:54 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: because it´s always a win now situation for the coach and the reward for developing a player is the NBA snatching him up with little compensation.

Not exactly true what he said. The financial reward is there. However, the club can't expect to develop the talent and him to stay at the club and spend his good/best years there. Which is of course natural. As good as the Euroleague is, it is still "2nd league" to NBA. It's like a G-league coach complaining that he can't keep his best players, because they prefer NBA.

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]nd all those players who have an obvious talent and they will peak at some point; they will finally peak in the NBA. EuroLeague teams will rarely have the chance to gain something on the court from those players. I am not talking financially, because they will gain a buyout.”[/color]

Some here are acting like if a guy from Europe shows promise on internet, Mavs will pick him. You know what happened after clubs went blindly to Europe and didn't want to miss their next Nowitzky? Darko was selected at number 2 and Bargnani was selected as number 1. You see the Giannis case, but neglect 10 other cases where European players didn't succede or failed miserably. My point is, going after someone just because he is from Europe is stupid. And Mavs also know that and they pick GOOD European players. There were tons of them they DIDN'T pick, because they were not good. 

Nice video from Greek second league doesn't mean a lot. We don't nearly have enough information to be very smart. However, if I read a scouting report of S.Bey, Terry or Pokusevski, I pick Bey or Terry before Pokusevski at #18.
Like Reply
(04-13-2020, 01:26 PM)omahen Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 12:54 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: "As he explained: “We have NBA scouts for him almost in every practice and me and my coaching staff is getting a tone of calls for him. At this point, there’s pressure in the NBA on this matter. Teams don’t want to miss the next Doncic or the next Jokic. Those two players created anxiety to the NBA teams, which are asking themselves, why Dallas picked Doncic and how the Nuggets picked a fat guy, and now he almost averages a triple-double. Big Grin

Yes, developmental minutes are hard to get by, because they are pressured with result. Meaning only one thing - he is not ready to play at Euroleague/Greek first league level. You conveniently left out the other part of the coach statement:

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]he has issues with his lack of physicality, which is something natural. And there’s also the question in which position he can defend and by extension in which position he will play in the NBA. For example, I was asked, can he be the next Bjelica? Can he be the next Nowitzki? What I can say for sure at this point is that I am surprised by his basketball IQ. His environment will play a pivotal role – because he is still a kid – and also his work ethic. He has potential. I don’t think that he is ready to play in the NBA, and he will need to go to a team that will work with him and develops him for the next two or three years.”[/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]Do you think Dallas is looking for someone to develop over next 2-3 years? Guy weights 180 pounds at 7 feet tall. [/color]

(04-13-2020, 12:54 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: because it´s always a win now situation for the coach and the reward for developing a player is the NBA snatching him up with little compensation.

Not exactly true what he said. The financial reward is there. However, the club can't expect to develop the talent and him to stay at the club and spend his good/best years there. Which is of course natural. As good as the Euroleague is, it is still "2nd league" to NBA. It's like a G-league coach complaining that he can't keep his best players, because they prefer NBA.

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]nd all those players who have an obvious talent and they will peak at some point; they will finally peak in the NBA. EuroLeague teams will rarely have the chance to gain something on the court from those players. I am not talking financially, because they will gain a buyout.”[/color]

Some here are acting like if a guy from Europe shows promise on internet, Mavs will pick him. You know what happened after clubs went blindly to Europe and didn't want to miss their next Nowitzky? Darko was selected at number 2 and Bargnani was selected as number 1. You see the Giannis case, but neglect 10 other cases where European players didn't succede or failed miserably. My point is, going after someone just because he is from Europe is stupid. And Mavs also know that and they pick GOOD European players. There were tons of them they DIDN'T pick, because they were not good. 

Nice video from Greek second league doesn't mean a lot. We don't nearly have enough information to be very smart. However, if I read a scouting report of S.Bey, Terry or Pokusevski, I pick Bey or Terry before Pokusevski at #18.

The problem with Bargnani and Darko wasn´t their talent. It was their interest/work ethic in basketball. Darko basically admitted he hated basketball, lied his a** off during the workout process to make money quickly. That was still a stupid pick, because of the other talent at the top end of that draft. On the other hand, out of all the top 20 picks in the Bargnani draft only LMA, Roy, Gay and Redick had better NBA careers.

I´d say be enlarge the hit percentage on Europeans is generally much higher than on American prospects, because you have to reach a certain level just to get noticed.

If the Mavs had always blindly selected the next Euro off the board after their pick, they´d come out well ahead, especially lately with Fournier, Giannis (or even Schroeder) and Ferguson.

Pokusevski has the skills to me, he just needs some PEDs. That´s an easy fix. And even while he´s a weak skinny 18 year old playing limited minutes against some grown man, he´s 2nd in BPG in the Greek 2nd division. He just fills the boxscore with assists, steals, blocks and rebounds in those youth events, good +/-.

I just think he looks very smooth and coordinated for a 7´0 and is almost a lock for a future 5x5. I´d he shocked, if there are 18 better players in this draft.

Also the buyout money is NOTHING to the big European clubs. They spent more money on compensation fees for 14 year old soccer prospects. The NBA strong arms the FIBA clubs with their rules, in a similar way European football screws over MLS teams in transfer fees. The true compensation for the European clubs is in the (failed) European player returning from the NBA or the relationships they build with agents of American players.
Like Reply
(04-13-2020, 02:53 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I just think he looks very smooth and coordinated for a 7´0 and is almost a lock for a future 5x5. I´d he shocked, if there are 18 better players in this draft.

If you take NBA readiness as criteria, there are certainly (at least) 18 better players than him. As said before, he is 2-3 years from being NBA ready. A lot of things can go right or wrong in 2-3 years. Would you be so sure he would really develop in G-league where he would be heading? Or we leave him in Greece for a couple of seasons?

If I am Mavs, I pick more NBA ready player. We have big holes on wing.
Like Reply
(04-13-2020, 03:35 PM)omahen Wrote:
(04-13-2020, 02:53 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I just think he looks very smooth and coordinated for a 7´0 and is almost a lock for a future 5x5. I´d he shocked, if there are 18 better players in this draft.

If you take NBA readiness as criteria, there are certainly (at least) 18 better players than him. As said before, he is 2-3 years from being NBA ready. A lot of things can go right or wrong in 2-3 years. Would you be so sure he would really develop in G-league where he would be heading? Or we leave him in Greece for a couple of seasons?

If I am Mavs, I pick more NBA ready player. We have big holes on wing.

If you ask me whether I´d rather have a 22 year old Andrei Kirilenko putting up 16/8/3 with three blocks and two steals per game over a 27 year old Ed Davis, then I guess, I´ll wait for the 22 year old Kirilenko, especially when my two franchise players will be 24 and 28 at the time.

I think you always take the BPA (career projection), whether it´s a European or American prospect, a 22 year old or an 18 year old. When you already have Luka and Kristaps, I want the guys with a chance to form a big three that can dominate for the next decade. Better talent also equals more trade value, if it comes to that.
Like Reply
(04-13-2020, 05:27 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Better talent also equals more trade value, if it comes to that.

No it doesn't. You are taking it as it is certain he will develop as expected. But it is not, it is risky. Things can go wrong. Based on where Mavs are now, I prefer to take a player ready to contribute than a long term project. 

(04-13-2020, 05:27 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: If you ask me whether I´d rather have a 22 year old Andrei Kirilenko putting up 16/8/3 with three blocks and two steals per game over a 27 year old Ed Davis

I have no idea how have you came to this comparison. Pokusevski is not 22 year old Kirilenko yet - he has 4 years to get there. Not even close. 27 year old Davis??? I am speaking about more NBA ready prospects. S. Bey for example. If anything I made a proposal of trading #18 for established wing like Osman. I prefer proven Osman against "perhaps will become Kirilenko in 4 years" Pokusevski. Based on where Mavs are now.
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbMT6REeF4o

That first play is badass.

I'm certainly a fan of Poku. Not sure where to select him given the little exposure he currently has, we'll see what happens in the predraft process. I could easily see a team fall in love with him after a workout. DX still has him in the late 1st.
Like Reply
Theoretical question - would you trade #18 for Bostons #26 and #30?
Like Reply
(04-14-2020, 12:00 PM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: I'd pass. We will already have #31 with 11 players under contract if THJ opts in. We should be looking for quality over quantity in this draft.

I totally understand your take. However, is #18 in this draft so much better than #26? It looks like there are a ton of interesting players in 15-30 range. 

Let's assume Mavs don't want to make any trade and give it a go with this team. As you said, 11 players under contract (assuming Barea retires and WCS opts out). #31 can also be a two way. This would mean, for example:

Luka, Wright, Brunson
THJ, Curry, rookie
DFS, rookie, JJ
Kleber, Powell, MLE
KP, rookie, Boban

Plenty of playing time for all three guys and increased chances to find a valuable player. The only problem for this team remains the logjam at PG.
Like Reply
I think Mavs should certainly trade up if they really believe in a player. They should also give him minutes and there can be plenty of opportunity at SF or small ball PF (we should go for SF wing imho). Better to have one player you believe in than 2 meh that won't see minutes. However, if there is no such player in our range, trading down (or for a pick in 2021) could be an option. These are basically vet min contracts.
Like Reply
From experience I think Mavs draft strategies are:

1. Mavs REALLY REALLY believe in a guy within their draft range, they´ll make it happen.
2. Otherwise Mavs will look to move draft pick for "win now" contributor or salary-dump/capspace in a trade.
3. Mavs will look to trade down from commited money or/and fire more bullets, because they don´t see any prospects they like.
4. Mavs just take somebody in their original spot, cause they could not find any of the above.

So we could certainly arrive at #3 quickly. Let´s just hope it turns out better than last year. We traded down from 37 to Roby, and in between the two standout 2nd rounders were taken: Gafford and Paschall.

Btw,

How do you guys see this draft play out? Given that there will be nothing else going on, will they drag this out over multiple days? Have a draft week. Say have a 2 1/2 hours draft show in the evening every day, 30 minute preview/trade rumours talk, then five picks with 15 minute intervals and 30 minute post draft analysis., That´six days for round one. Then finish it off with one day for the whole 2nd round.

They could speculate about potential draft week trades all week long (if the season is cancelled before or they find some other process).
Like Reply
(04-14-2020, 11:45 AM)omahen Wrote: Theoretical question - would you trade #18 for Bostons #26 and #30?

So, sort like we did and think in 2013?
Like Reply