Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey]
Maybe with 2 stars in place, there's hope to be better at attracting players in free agency that we won't have to use our picks as trade ammo.  I think our new foundation is set that it's a good time to start investing in projects.  I'm always jealous of teams coming up with Siakams and Jokics seemingly out of thin air.  Even top-heavy LeBron-GMed teams had guys like Cedi Osman.

Freed from tank mode, Rick has shown (again) that he can build wonders out of castaways that we now have too many rotation players (here we are arguing that our Brunsons and Jacksons should get more minutes yet it isn't clear where to get them from - a nice problem we didn't have in recent years)... so I think we can afford to have young ones developing on the side with zero minutes for a season or two.  
Like Reply
I think the draft might be the best way for the Mavs to fill their roster holes. I would be extremely cautious trading away draft assets. I think this draft has everything the Mavs need (i.e playmakers, versatile defenders)

Some of the players that I find interesting for the Mavs and will be watching come draft time. The Mavs could use more than one of these guys and may have a shot at that.

1. Jordan Nwora-6'7 SF, 20ppg, 40% from three, +80% free throw shooter, good defender, has toughness that the Mavs sorely need and are missing. Not a high ceiling guy but a high floor guy. NBA comp would be tougher Josh Howard with a more consistent jumper. Perfect fit for the Mavs, he's the kind of player a team like Heat draft and just produces. Probably will be drafted from 17-25.

2. Amar Sylla-6'9, very versatile defender and can switch 1-5, very raw offensively but game to grow. He would take some time to develop but extremely high upside. High risk, High reward type of guy. Could be Pascal Siakam clone or Bismack Biyambo (if he doesn't develop offensively). Draft range is probably low first round or early second. I would love the Mavs to get him with the GSW second but will probably requires a trade up from the early second round position to low first round.

3. Theo Maledon-6'4 combo guard, creator and good shooter. High ceiling and High floor guy. He would be perfect next Luka as a secondary creator. Taller Tony Parker is his upside. He is still a baby and will take development but is use to playing at high level. Really struggling this year playing in euro league causing his stock to fall. But this could be an opportunity for the Mavs to add an impact player if he continues to fall. Draft range will likely be mid lottery to 17. He's likely to be out of the Mavs pick range but maybe a team like the Hawks(Brooklyn pick) would trade their pick for an established player(i.e Brunson, Jackson) if he falls.

4. Killian Hayes-see Maledon but more athletic. Will likely be drafted ahead of Maledon and out of the Mavs draft range.

5. Isaiah Stewart-6'9 PF/C combo, NBA body, toughness and energy guy. High floor, low ceiling guy. Will need to develop his shooting range in the NBA. NBA comp is Harrell or Adebeyo. His draft range will depend on his season and team needs. He could go anywhere from lower lottery to late first.

6. Precious Achiwua-6'9 combo foward, extremely athletic but will need to work on his shooting range. Boom or Bust prospect. Hard to give a comp without knowing if he will boom or bust. Older player for being a freshman (20 y.o).
Like Reply
Seems Hartenstein is coming good for the Rockets. Euros in the 2nd round, always value. Though he was projected in the lottery before he got flagged with the back problem.
Like Reply
Currently projected to go to the Mavs

Tyler Bey 6´9

He´s "old", too.

That´s what we should aim for with our and the Warriors pick. Get one more great draft pick in here on a four year rookie deal, preferably a defensive stud and we are in great shape.

I´ll throw up, if they start this whole draft pench-pinching garbage again, which they did during the whole of Dirk´s career.
Like Reply
Assuming we get through the TDL without giving up our early 2nd from GS.  The value chart shows #31 + #20 being of similar worth to the 13th or 14th pick.  Maybe we can take advantage of some other team having money issues (Portland?) and needing to trade down.
Like Reply
(01-18-2020, 01:45 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Assuming we get through the TDL without giving up our early 2nd from GS. The value chart shows #31 + #20 being of similar worth to the 13th or 14th pick. Maybe we can take advantage of some other team having money issues (Portland?) and needing to trade down.

Will the Mavs use one of their picks or not? When you're in a situation like the Mavs, trying to do your best to advance as far as you can in the playoffs and just a year or two away from serious contention (knock on wood), an NBA-ready draft pick needs to be good enough to join the back end of the 10-man rotation, contributing without hurting too much. Developmental players will have a hard time getting developed and require long-term patience - you won't know if you have anything of any worth whatsoever until toward the end of their rookie contract. That, to me, indicates that you may be right - either the Mavs will trade up to the point of getting an NBA-ready guy who can contribute on the back end of the rotation right away, or they will trade their pick. We'll see.
Like Reply
(01-18-2020, 03:30 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 01:45 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Assuming we get through the TDL without giving up our early 2nd from GS.  The value chart shows #31 + #20 being of similar worth to the 13th or 14th pick.  Maybe we can take advantage of some other team having money issues (Portland?) and needing to trade down.

Will the Mavs use one of their picks or not? When you're in a situation like the Mavs, trying to do your best to advance as far as you can in the playoffs and just a year or two away from serious contention (knock on wood), an NBA-ready draft pick needs to be good enough to join the back end of the 10-man rotation, contributing without hurting too much. Developmental players will have a hard time getting developed and require long-term patience - you won't know if you have anything of any worth whatsoever until toward the end of their rookie contract. That, to me, indicates that you may be right - either the Mavs will trade up to the point of getting an NBA-ready guy who can contribute on the back end of the rotation right away, or they will trade their pick. We'll see.

You make a good point about having minutes to develop on a stacked team.  Let's say for argument sake that this is our top 10 next year with JJB finally retiring after this season:

Powell/Dieng
KP/Maxi
DFS/Culver
THJ/Curry
Luka/Brunson

The slot I see as vulnerable is Brunson's spot.  Finding a good PG who can help run the second unit while also finding success next to Luka would be a reasonable goal for your pick.  The other thing I was thinking about in terms of moving up was getting the bigger name guy for a trade later.  We think Giannis, Beal and Oladipo might change teams via free agency in 2021.  But, I think it just as likely it happens by trade.  Whoever we might get at 13 or 14 will probably have more trade value than a combination of 20 and 31.
Like Reply
(01-18-2020, 03:30 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(01-18-2020, 01:45 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Assuming we get through the TDL without giving up our early 2nd from GS.  The value chart shows #31 + #20 being of similar worth to the 13th or 14th pick.  Maybe we can take advantage of some other team having money issues (Portland?) and needing to trade down.

We will need to have a hard look at Toronto strategy developing players. It isn't always about giving minutes right away. 
Get the player who you believe will be the best player in 3-4 years if you manage to develop him properly .
Like Reply

This feels a little like the 2013 draft, where nobody had a clue, who was good and you ended up with

#2 Oladipo
#10 McCollum
#12 Adams
#15 Giannis
#17 Schroeder
#24 THJ
#27 Gobert

Seth Curry, McGruder, Theis all went undrafted.

You think you know that a guy will be good trading up makes, but so does taking 2-3 blind shots.

Funny enough there is a 6´11 European with a 7´3 wingspan that plays in the Greek 2nd division. The name is also messed up enough, Aleksej Pokusevski, that he´ll just be called by his first name: Alex.

Maybe Donnie gets another shot at drafting Giannis or Rudy.  Big Grin
Like Reply
I read in one mockdraft that Vernon Carey is somewhere between the 87th and the 92nd percentile as a PnR finisher in college.

His playstyle might be outdated but that number gives and we're looking at a pick around #20. It gets REALLY hard to overlook his production once we're that late in the draft.
Like Reply
(01-21-2020, 04:44 PM)JamesConway Wrote: I read in one mockdraft that Vernon Carey is somewhere between the 87th and the 92nd percentile as a PnR finisher in college.

His playstyle might be outdated but that number gives and we're looking at a pick around #20. It gets REALLY hard to overlook his production once we're that late in the draft.

Talking about outdated play styles. Udoka Azubuike did not declare for the draft last season because of an season ending hand injury. Raw and athletic bigman. Probably the strongest player among the 2020 prospects. Listed as 6`11 or 7`00. 270-280lbs.
This season he is averaging 13/9, 2.5 blocks. Shooting 80% from the floor but only 40% from the FT-line.
Projected as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick he is in reach for the Mavs and would add another dimension to the front court rotation. I am not a fan of a big trade for a player like Drummond because I don´t want them to waste even more salary on bigman but I do think that the Mavs need a defensive minded big body in certain situations.
Like Reply
Checking in with the last Tankathon mock draft. Has us taking Jahmi´us Ramsey at #19. Looks like an athletic mix between Westbrook/Mitchell. Very fast and build like a tank. Not sure his touch and finishing around the rim would hold up at NBA level, but that´s the type of player you take a chance at #19, when you have no good trades. He could excel next to Luka with an explosive first step and shooting 43% from three on five attempts per game.
Like Reply
(02-03-2020, 12:41 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Checking in with the last Tankathon mock draft. Has us taking Jahmi´us Ramsey at #19. Looks like an athletic mix between Westbrook/Mitchell. Very fast and build like a tank. Not sure his touch and finishing around the rim would hold up at NBA level, but that´s the type of player you take a chance at #19, when you have no good trades. He could excel next to Luka with an explosive first step and shooting 43% from three on five attempts per game.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the Mavs actually keep their first-rounder. I think that's likely now unless they can get a third star, because THJ isn't the liability he was going into the season. I would hope the Mavs could re-sign him in '21, if they can't get anything better, at a significantly reduced rate.
Like Reply
(02-03-2020, 12:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(02-03-2020, 12:41 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Checking in with the last Tankathon mock draft. Has us taking Jahmi´us Ramsey at #19. Looks like an athletic mix between Westbrook/Mitchell. Very fast and build like a tank. Not sure his touch and finishing around the rim would hold up at NBA level, but that´s the type of player you take a chance at #19, when you have no good trades. He could excel next to Luka with an explosive first step and shooting 43% from three on five attempts per game.

I will be pleasantly surprised if the Mavs actually keep their first-rounder. I think that's likely now unless they can get a third star, because THJ isn't the liability he was going into the season. I would hope the Mavs could re-sign him in '21, if they can't get anything better, at a significantly reduced rate.
Yeah keeping both picks or using them to trade up is an avenue that doesn't get talked about enough around here. 

If we hit on one of those two picks, then you suddenly got a lot more trade ammunition for later on than on draft night. I hope we keep an open mind about holding on to those selections.
Like Reply
(02-03-2020, 05:13 PM)JamesConway Wrote: Yeah keeping both picks or using them to trade up is an avenue that doesn't get talked about enough around here. 

If we hit on one of those two picks, then you suddenly got a lot more trade ammunition for later on than on draft night. I hope we keep an open mind about holding on to those selections.

Problem is, will those picks really get a chance to prove themselves? We have 12 players under contract for next season, all valuable rotation players. There won't be any minutes for unproven rookies, unless we really strike gold (but then we also don't want to trade that gold). We need to upgrade a couple of rotation players first.
Like Reply

1. No. 20: Dallas Mavericks: Aleksej Pokusevski (Olympiacos junior team, C, 2001)Teams view Pokusevski as a sleeper, but enough seem to be tracking him for a first-round projection. Despite playing in Greece's second division, his unique blend of shooting, passing and shot-blocking skills made a lasting impression during FIBA play and the Adidas Next Generation 
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2874...ne-edition

Sounds like a Donnie type player...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/...10784?s=20

https://twitter.com/568ghl/status/122941...66272?s=20

#20 Isaiah Stewart from Washington

#32 Jordan Nwora from Louisville
Like Reply
If Cassisus Stanley falls to the 2nd round, Mavs should snatch him up. Super-athletic, defensive wow-factor, good improvisation and finishing skills around the rim. He´s not a good jumpshooter, but neither was Marcus Smart and he made an impact. I like some of these athletic guards. We already have enough shooting. We need an athlete, that can defend and rock the rim. Guys like Ramsey, Lewis and Stanley are certainly worth a shot.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 08:48 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think he was telling the truth. I think he said things like "of course everyone has Ayton number one..." because he didn't want Luka's stock to rise.

"If I am talking this time of year, I am lying". Don Nelson Sr. Young Mr. Nelson plays that game as well.
This Reunion Rowdie says the AAC needs "Luka's Lunatics" for the Luka/KP and gang era.
Like Reply
I haven’t seen any college games this season.
Can anyone that has watched Duke tell me what the issue is with Vernon Carey?

Stats look pretty good for a player ranked 20-30 in the draft
Like Reply