Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attending games tips and tricks
Hello all,

I've been following the boards for the past year or so and watching games on League Pass and if all goes well the time has come for me to have a live experience.

I just sorted my US visa (or ESTA or whatever it's called if you're from Lukaland) as a just in case thing but it's looking increasingly likely I will be in Dallas this Friday for the Cavs game then in Houston on Sunday and back in Dallas on Tuesday for the Clippers. And then either back home or extending the trip to Phoenix on Friday and LA on Sunday and then going back on Sunday evening.

So I thought I'd ask you experts/natives for some advice like

What are the best (reasonable) seats go get? The closer the better? Asking because especially the Clippers game seems to be VERY expensive (for me anyway) and don't even get me started on prices in the Staples Center.

Which site is it best to buy them from?

What time do I show up at the arena(s)?

Where do I get good food in Dallas?

Anything else you might think of...

Thank you in advance and sorry for probably posting in the wrong section but I thought the post might get more exposure here.
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 05:48 PM)Luka Wrote: Thank you in advance and sorry for probably posting in the wrong section but I thought the post might get more exposure here.
I am a Mod here and there has never been an issue with a fan asking for advice on going to games, places to stay, and places to eat...your post is in the right place...

Welcome to the Community...share your opinion and knowledge when possible or you have time...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I moved out of the area days after the 2011 championship so haven’t been to a game in a long time, but I remember the arena used to open 2 hours before the game, and you could be in the lower bowl close to the court watching warmups up until 30 minutes before tipoff which was a lot of fun. Hopefully that’s still the case.
Like Reply
@Luka:

Some important questions for folks to give you the best advice possible:

1. Will you be renting a car?
2. Will you be staying close to the AAC?
3. Are you comfortable driving in downtown type traffic?
4. Do you want to eat within walking distance of the arena, or do you want to see another part of Dallas, or both?
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 11:40 PM)balldontliez Wrote: ive found some good deals in the corners or behind the goals. stubhub or the mavs site are ok. i wouldnt be more than 80, but i was going to games against teams like the nuggets. get there at least an hour early. i recommend paying extra for for parking, theres one parking garage close thats easy to get out of, cant remember where though. another one took me over an hour because i was late and at the top. yeah its expensive but worth it to me to avoid really long walks and that area just kind of sucks for parking anyway.
for good food in dallas just head west to fort worth. jk i just dont know many dallas restaurants.

Seriously, for the best time hang out and eat at Sundance Square in FW, then take the 50 min TRE ride to Victory Park for the game. :-)

...said one Fort Worth dude to another.
Like Reply
Take the train to Victory Station. Its 3-5 bucks a person and is way more worth it than trying to find parking, pay, get a good spot, and get out after the game. Just take a casual train ride to your stop and drive home.
Like Reply
^ I came to say to take the Dart Rail.  You can park a few stops away and it's way more convenient.  I live less than 10 minutes from AAC and have never driven there.  

As for seats, I use Stubhub or Seatgeek.  You can sort tickets by "best value."

There are a couple of decent restaurants by the arena:  Billy Can Can (meat/steak), Mesero (Mexican), Imoto (Japanese), Medina (middle eastern), Olivella's (pizza).

I can give you better food recommendations depending on where you stay and how much you want to spend.

Also, how old are you? and do you drink/go to bars?  Bars near the AAC are Hero (sports bar), Happiest Hour (super popular), Dibs on Victory
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 12:13 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: ^ I came to say to take the Dart Rail.  You can park a few stops away and it's way more convenient.  I live less than 10 minutes from AAC and have never driven there.  

There are a couple of decent restaurants by the arena:  Billy Can Can (meat/steak), Mesero (Mexican), Imoto (Japanese).  I can give you better food recommendations depending on where you stay and how much you want to spend.

Also, how old are you? and do you drink/go to bars?

(11-18-2019, 11:49 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 11:40 PM)balldontliez Wrote: ive found some good deals in the corners or behind the goals. stubhub or the mavs site are ok. i wouldnt be more than 80, but i was going to games against teams like the nuggets. get there at least an hour early. i recommend paying extra for for parking, theres one parking garage close thats easy to get out of, cant remember where though. another one took me over an hour because i was late and at the top. yeah its expensive but worth it to me to avoid really long walks and that area just kind of sucks for parking anyway.
for good food in dallas just head west to fort worth. jk i just dont know many dallas restaurants.

Seriously, for the best time hang out and eat at Sundance Square in FW, then take the 50 min TRE ride to Victory Park for the game. :-)

I've stayed out there a few times and I thought Lonesome Dove was the only decent restaurant.  The other "western/country" spots seem to just be taking in tourist money.  Downtown Fort Worth has some good restaurants.

Sundance Square is downtown FW!
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 12:18 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 12:13 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: ^ I came to say to take the Dart Rail.  You can park a few stops away and it's way more convenient.  I live less than 10 minutes from AAC and have never driven there.  

There are a couple of decent restaurants by the arena:  Billy Can Can (meat/steak), Mesero (Mexican), Imoto (Japanese).  I can give you better food recommendations depending on where you stay and how much you want to spend.

Also, how old are you? and do you drink/go to bars?

(11-18-2019, 11:49 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

I've stayed out there a few times and I thought Lonesome Dove was the only decent restaurant.  The other "western/country" spots seem to just be taking in tourist money.  Downtown Fort Worth has some good restaurants.

Sundance Square is downtown FW!

Yea, I edited too late.  Whoops. Confused Stockyards for Sundance Square.  But most of the best restaurants in that area have a sister location in Dallas:  Bobs, Capital Grille, Del Friscos.
Like Reply
Thompsons is fine if you're into that kinda thing.  There are about 10 cocktail bars like that in Dallas.

I like the vibe of downtown Ft Worth compared to the douchebaggery of Uptown Dallas but let's not pretend like Ft Worth is some dining destination compared to Dallas.  Tei-An, Uchi, Bullion, Lucia, Town Hearth, Knife, Nick and Sams, Cattleack BBQ, etc have no equals in Ft Worth.
Like Reply
(11-18-2019, 06:09 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 05:48 PM)Luka Wrote: Thank you in advance and sorry for probably posting in the wrong section but I thought the post might get more exposure here.
I am a Mod here and there has never been an issue with a fan asking for advice on going to games, places to stay, and places to eat...your post is in the right place...

Welcome to the Community...share your opinion and knowledge when possible or you have time...

Thank you.

(11-18-2019, 08:04 PM)fifteenth Wrote: @Luka:

4. Do you want to eat within walking distance of the arena, or do you want to see another part of Dallas, or both?

1. and 2.

Yes, I will be renting a car tough probably not on the first night as I'd be flying in at 2PM and I'll just try to get a hotel/apartment near the arena (walking distance if possible)

3. Yes, once you've driven in Indonesia and Vietnam no downtown traffic anywhere is daunting

4. I'd love to see other parts of Dallas but the trip will be primarily focused on attending games and then working (remotely) unfortunately

I will be driving to Houston for the Sunday game so I was thinking of renting a car from Saturday till Wednesday and I'll take some time for sightseeing in between games and working.

Yeah, the use of quotes for "best value" is correct Smile

For anybody that has been - is there a big difference in experience from getting a seat in say row CC Lower Level 107 (which is $500+ for the Clippers game) or a more 'normal' priced one for say $200 in Platinum Level 208?

(11-19-2019, 12:13 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Also, how old are you? and do you drink/go to bars?  Bars near the AAC are Hero (sports bar), Happiest Hour (super popular), Dibs on Victory

I'm 42 and and I do drink here and there but it's not something I'm looking to do on this trip. At least not heavily Smile
Would love to have a beer or two if anybody is around though.

As for food - I can see I might be gaining weight on this trip.
I'm just educating myself on Texan food... What would you recommend as something I have to try that I wouldn't get somewhere else?
Like Reply
Just a quick update.

The plane ticket is booked, I'm definitely coming now. So excited  Big Grin
Like Reply
@Luka, so it sounds like you need some tips on stuff to do in the neighborhood of the AAC. I've only visited a couple of places within walking distance so I should leave that advice to others.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 12:37 PM)Luka Wrote:
(11-18-2019, 06:09 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote:

Thank you.

(11-18-2019, 08:04 PM)fifteenth Wrote: @Luka:

1. and 2.

Yes, I will be renting a car tough probably not on the first night as I'd be flying in at 2PM and I'll just try to get a hotel/apartment near the arena (walking distance if possible)

3. Yes, once you've driven in Indonesia and Vietnam no downtown traffic anywhere is daunting

4. I'd love to see other parts of Dallas but the trip will be primarily focused on attending games and then working (remotely) unfortunately

I will be driving to Houston for the Sunday game so I was thinking of renting a car from Saturday till Wednesday and I'll take some time for sightseeing in between games and working.

Yeah, the use of quotes for "best value" is correct Smile

For anybody that has been - is there a big difference in experience from getting a seat in say row CC Lower Level 107 (which is $500+ for the Clippers game) or a more 'normal' priced one for say $200 in Platinum Level 208?

(11-19-2019, 12:13 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Also, how old are you? and do you drink/go to bars?  Bars near the AAC are Hero (sports bar), Happiest Hour (super popular), Dibs on Victory

I'm 42 and and I do drink here and there but it's not something I'm looking to do on this trip. At least not heavily Smile
Would love to have a beer or two if anybody is around though.

As for food - I can see I might be gaining weight on this trip.
I'm just educating myself on Texan food... What would you recommend as something I have to try that I wouldn't get somewhere else?
There is a difference in the lower bowl seats vs platinum level, but not a $300 difference in my opinion. If it were the only game you were attending then I would say buy the better ones, but since you are going to a couple games, I would say platinum level is good. Hope you have a great time!
Like Reply