Poll: Who ends up with more points?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka
83.33%
5 83.33%
Porzingis
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 78: DAL (48-30) vs. WAS (34-43)| 103-135 loss
Luka and JB are the only one's in double figures. Not beating any team like that.
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 07:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: +9
+14
+21

In the last three games.

I should have been more clear: I am specifically referring to the DEFENSE. In those three games team D was -11.3 worse with Luka playing. Last 18 games? -17.7 worse with Luka playing. 

The Luka lineups for almost 20 games now have been REALLY bad defensively.
Like Reply
We deserved this. Refs were even on our side big time in the first half. I don't want to hear whining about those techs, Brothers was punishing us for playing so bad we were still down despite the help we were getting.
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 08:18 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I should have been more clear: I am specifically referring to the DEFENSE. In those three games team D was -11.3 worse with Luka playing. Last 18 games? -17.7 worse with Luka playing. 

The Luka lineups for almost 20 games now have been REALLY bad defensively.

Question is if this is on Luka? Because the same case can be made for any of the starters. Looking at the numbers Powell and DFS are just as bad as Luka. Bullock and Brunson only slightly better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
That was ugly. Mavs have some work to do to finish 4th and have a successful regular season.
Like Reply
Both teams played the 3rd game in 4 nights but the difference is that the Mavs had to travel from Dallas to Cleveland to DC while this has been a home stand for the Wiz.

Fatigue played a factor, this Mavs team isn't deep enough to overcome it...it doesn't matter who they're playing. You've got winnable games vs. Detroit and Portland remaining - you hope those can be blowouts so that the starters don't play heavy minutes. And then you'll probably have at least 5 days to rest before the playoffs start. Just get through the rest of the season and hold onto the 4 seed
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 08:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Question is if this is on Luka? Because the same case can be made for any of the starters. Looking at the numbers Powell and DFS are just as bad as Luka. Bullock and Brunson only slightly better.
Get better players, have better results.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Bucks are also resting Giannis/Middleton/Holiday tonight so they should be fresh for Sunday...it's not looking good  Sick
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • VintagePejav2
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 08:41 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Get better players, have better results.

Not really about the players. Same roster was a lot better on defense prior to the allstar break (with KP missing a lot of games). My best guess is that small ball is taking a toll on them. "Similar to the Harden/D´Antoni" Rockets. They can play elite defense in small sample sizes but they cannot sustain the level of energy and physicality over an entire season.
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 08:26 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Question is if this is on Luka? Because the same case can be made for any of the starters. Looking at the numbers Powell and DFS are just as bad as Luka. Bullock and Brunson only slightly better.

I am not saying it is all on Luka. I am simply concerned that the Luka-lineups have sucked on D so much. He is going to be the workhorse in the playoffs. We cannot get destroyed on D in the playoffs when Luka is playing like we have been. That's all I am saying.

BUT, I have NOT liked Luka's effort or work on D at all recently.
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 08:53 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am not saying it is all on Luka. I am simply concerned that the Luka-lineups have sucked on D so much. He is going to be the workhorse in the playoffs. We cannot get destroyed on D in the playoffs when Luka is playing like we have been. That's all I am saying.

BUT, I have NOT liked Luka's effort or work on D at all recently.

Looking at the last couple of games the biggest difference maker on defense for me is Kleber instead of Powell. And I think Kidd has similar thoughts because Kleber is in the closing lineup more often than not. Just sucks that Maxi has been borderline unplayable on offense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 08:48 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Not really about the players. Same roster was a lot better on defense prior to the allstar break (with KP missing a lot of games). My best guess is that small ball is taking a toll on them. "Similar to the Harden/D´Antoni" Rockets. They can play elite defense in small sample sizes but they cannot sustain the level of energy and physicality over an entire season.
Sooooo, get better players, get better results.
Like Reply
Feb/March:

Luka / Kleber    103.4 DefRtg    | 110.1 DefRtg  | -5.7
Luka / Brunson  110.4 DefRtg    | 117.3 DefRtg    | -6.9
Luka / DFS      113.1 DefRtg      | 119.9 DefRtg  | -6.8
Luka / Bullock    114.2 DefRtg    | 117.5 DefRtg    | -3.3
Luka / Powell    116.1 DefRtg    | 122.4 DefRtg  | -6.3
Luka / Green    94.9 DefRtg      | 118.5 DefRtg    | -23.6

The starters has sucked on defense. Worst DefRtg in the entire league in the last 15 games. Also the blowouts probably playing a role in those numbers. The defense has been better against better opponents imo, just going by the eye test. Its the same tendency as under Rick again: The Mavs are playing better vs. better teams. More effort. Better defense.

They need to get their act their act together. Saying it again, Luka is the most inconsistent player on defense on the entire roster. His defensive effort/performance ranges from literally being Trae Young to being a pretty solid defender.
Still hopeful for the playoffs, unless Luka putting on no shows on defense there too.

Luka lead the Mavs in +/- in Feb, and is near last in March.

Feb: +67 (1st on the team)
March: -21 (nearly last on the team)

As good as his offense been, as bad has been his defense.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sefant's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Couldn't watch tonight. Seems like I missed a good one...
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 09:41 PM)sefant Wrote: Feb/March:

The starters has sucked on defense. Worst DefRtg in the entire league in the last 15 games. Also the blowouts probably playing a role in those numbers. The defense has been better against better opponents imo, just going by the eye test. Its the same tendency as under Rick again: The Mavs are playing better vs. better teams. More effort. Better defense.

They need to get their act their act together. Saying it again, Luka is the most inconsistent player on defense on the entire roster. His defensive effort/performance ranges from literally being Trae Young to being a pretty solid defender.
Still hopeful for the playoffs, unless Luka putting on no shows on defense there too.

Probably fatigued from the whole team having to play bigger and longer than they really are.
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 09:41 PM)sefant Wrote: Feb/March:

The explanation is fatigue and being overworked. Luka is not fat, so this is clearly not the reason. When injured and under heavy fatigue, he has tendency as was earlier in seasons as well as seasons before, to limp or be slower on defense. He will get his rest just before playoffs and play the best defense, which he has done season in the stretches where Luka had no injury and fatigue. In those stretches he was not just a solid defender, but excellent defender. I have no doubts about Luka, like I had no doubts early in season as well. Playoff Luka is another level player.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(04-01-2022, 02:55 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: It’s time for the boys to hand out a good ole fashioned curb stomping. No pregame speech necessary from Kidd

Lol, maybe he should have given a speech! Cool
Like Reply
Mavs laid a stinker.  It happens.  LIke the Charlotte game, the other team played really well too.   Combination of them really hitting their shots and less then ideal defensive attention.  Oh well.  

I thought KP looked good last night.  Engaged and Washington fans should be excited to see how he fits in there.  The big question will be his health, but seeing how he played last night was how I wanted to see him play here.   It always seemed for whatever reason that the fit was never natural here.    Even when it looked pretty good, it never seemed natural imo.   The question of why is one I don't have the answer for.

Seeing how we have played with KP and after makes me wonder if another offensive focused player will really thrive here.  I thought we needed one of these guys (mainly a PF type), but i am not sure now.   I think both Brunson and Dinwiddie (Dinwiddie has picked this up fast) understand you will need to fit in and make some sacrifices playing with Luka.  There will be times for 5 minutes on the court where you won't get much time with the ball.  This, at times, is not a fun way to play when you are used to having the ball.   Now, Playing with Luka does bring a lot of other benefits as well.   

So, if targeting another guy who will get you 22 points per game is not the guy who will bring maximum benefit, maybe the right direction is a defender/rebounder type who can impact games besides scoring.   Gobert would be the top here.   Maybe John Collins (less defense and he may want a bigger role on offense too) or Myles Turner (less rebounding and not much rim running) could also be options.
Like Reply
WTF happened to DFS last night? That was one heck of a stinker! Did Vlade (edit: KP’s brother, why did I think it was the Kings we were playing?) call up his agent, disguising his voice to sound like DFS wife telling him to tell Dorian his cat died right before the game?
Like Reply