Poll: Who gets the Dirkie?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bullock (+13, 9 pts, 4 rbd, 3 ast, 1 stl)
0%
0 0%
DFS (+16, 28 pts, 2 rbd, 3 ast, career high!)
76.67%
23 76.67%
Powell (+6, 15 pts, 5 rbd, 1 ast, 1 stl, 1 blk)
0%
0 0%
Brunson (-5, 18 pts, 5 rbd, 6 ast)
3.33%
1 3.33%
Luka (+14, 35 pts, 9 rbd, 13 ast, 1 stl, 2 blks)
20.00%
6 20.00%
Green (+2, 2 pts, 4 rbd, 2 stl)
0%
0 0%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 77 DIRKIE: Dodo locks it down (77%)
https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/15...7gnfIpAAAA
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The guy making 4M this year.
Like Reply
I vote Porzingis with 35 pts.
Like Reply
DFS and it's not even close. 

As an aside, he's one of the few guys I can think of that immediately got noticeably better the moment he signed a big new contract. If that's all it took, we should have paid the man way earlier!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tyler's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 08:25 PM)Tyler Wrote: DFS and it's not even close. 

As an aside, he's one of the few guys I can think of that immediately got noticeably better the moment he signed a big new contract. If that's all it took, we should have paid the man way earlier!
He's not even making that money yet, imagine when he does???!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Tyler
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MavsPR/status/1509342446467039235
Like Reply
DFS, best stat game with the Mavs.
Like Reply

Offensively, I think it was the switch to (almost) full time 4 that has made the difference. So technically, it was the trade that happened a couple of days before the extension that should get the credit (besides the great man, himself, who works insanely hard and is one of the best Mavs of all time).
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, mvossman, Tyler
Like Reply
There's really only two options here. DFS or Luka.

I'll go DFS because 28 points is such an outlier for him
Like Reply

Good point.  Great game for DFS.  There is something to be said to having players focus on what they are good at.   But there is also something to be said to give a player freedom to grow their game.   DFS has been the main benefactor of this freedom this year.  It is pretty remarkable how his game has grown by not asking him just to run to a spot on the floor.   Both ways can be successful, but I did not expect DFS to be able to grow his game like he has.
Like Reply
My favorite play of the night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDRLYmLXq1o
[-] The following 4 users Like Tyler's post:
  • Arioch, Hogmelon, Jommybone, MFFL
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 08:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Offensively, I think it was the switch to (almost) full time 4 that has made the difference. So technically, it was the trade that happened a couple of days before the extension that should get the credit (besides the great man, himself, who works insanely hard and is one of the best Mavs of all time).

Yep.  Folks keep saying we need a starting power forward.  We already have one of those.  What we need is a starting center.
Like Reply
While I think Dodo is more than deserving, I felt Luka's playmaking tonight was otherworldly. In the first half he set up everyone else time and again on pinpoint passes in rhythm.

In the 3rd he came out blistering hot and showed why he's a generational talent pouring in 19 quick points. 

Games like that don't grow on trees and I felt like he was in the conversation for Dirkie tonight. Of course, Dodo is also the correct choice imo.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
The Mavs didn't play especially good this game, but they won.  Cleveland is a pretty good team...and will probably get better.  It could have been a trap game.

Luka is pretty damn good.  Some people might think he is a ball hog and show boater, but such is not the case.  He will do what he has to do to help the Mavs win.  In this case he had to take over and carry the team in places.  But Luka likes this.  He is at his best when he can play loose and free, with a fairly heavy load.  This is also the time he best involves the team.  I can remember years ago when I heard about a pro basketball team in Europe that had signed a--youngster--12 or 13, can't remember, but I do remember I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard.  Well...maybe somebody knew more than I knew.  Seems to happen a lot as I get older.  

Even a generational talent needs a good team around him.  This is where DFS (and others) comes in.  When I first saw DFS I thought he was a shy, no talent player who would be cut...soon.  He hung on, gradually improved, and is now one of the cornerstones of a Mavs team that shows the toughness we haven't seen in a long time.  These are not the best individual players in the league--except Luka--but they never give up and they work as a great team.  And DFS is one of the leaders of the team.  My Dirkie goes to DFS.
[-] The following 2 users Like ballsrchr's post:
  • haveitall, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-31-2022, 07:54 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: The Mavs didn't play especially good this game, but they won.  Cleveland is a pretty good team...and will probably get better.  It could have been a trap game.

Luka is pretty damn good.  Some people might think he is a ball hog and show boater, but such is not the case.  He will do what he has to do to help the Mavs win.  In this case he had to take over and carry the team in places.  But Luka likes this.  He is at his best when he can play loose and free, with a fairly heavy load.  This is also the time he best involves the team.  I can remember years ago when I heard about a pro basketball team in Europe that had signed a--youngster--12 or 13, can't remember, but I do remember I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard.  Well...maybe somebody knew more than I knew.  Seems to happen a lot as I get older.  

Even a generational talent needs a good team around him.  This is where DFS (and others) comes in.  When I first saw DFS I thought he was a shy, no talent player who would be cut...soon.  He hung on, gradually improved, and is now one of the cornerstones of a Mavs team that shows the toughness we haven't seen in a long time.  These are not the best individual players in the league--except Luka--but they never give up and they work as a great team.  And DFS is one of the leaders of the team.  My Dirkie goes to DFS.

DFS is such a favorite not only because he went undrafted and has a Cindarella story but because now that he is making the big $ and has a solid career its obvious he still is super humble and he appreciates this team.  It feels like he is a fan himself sometimes.  Also he has incredible intangibles, the way he speaks has that extra energy and passion.  Fan favorite for sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes haveitall's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
No doubt, DFS. He and JB have been playing at near All Star levels this year. SD and RB have been not too far behind. I will no longer listen to posts calling our team less talented than our opponents. 

Notable unmentioned stat: Luka 13:3 assist/turnover ratio, Jalen 6:1. That’s Kidd-like.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(03-31-2022, 09:58 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Notable unmentioned stat: Luka 13:3 assist/turnover ratio, Jalen 6:1. That’s Kidd-like.

For sure. The defense has started to lag subtly in recent weeks (I think this owes to simple human focus issues and mental fatigue/effort, and I hope they can simply recapture their earlier magic at will when things matter) but the offense has steadily and subtly improved over that same time period. It was awful to start the season off and then reached a point around January where it was "good enough" and lately it has been flat out great. They're understanding their responsibilities on that end more with each passing game.
Like Reply
[Image: 277536703_10166158908060461_192537763727...e=624A2E14]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-31-2022, 09:58 AM)Jommybone Wrote: No doubt, DFS. He and JB have been playing at near All Star levels this year. SD and RB have been not too far behind. I will no longer listen to posts calling our team less talented than our opponents. 

Notable unmentioned stat: Luka 13:3 assist/turnover ratio, Jalen 6:1. That’s Kidd-like.

Don't think RB fits in that group.  The other three have been playing at near all star level.  Bullock has been a very streaky role player.
Like Reply