Poll: Who elevated their play most to help the Mavs to this win?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Luka: +21, 34pts, 12reb, 12ast
82.14%
23 82.14%
Reggie: +13, 17pts, 2stl, 5-8 3s
0%
0 0%
Josh: +15, 12pts, 2-3 3s, 5-8 fgs
0%
0 0%
Davis: +5, 14pts, 5reb, 5-8 3s
14.29%
4 14.29%
THE WHOLE TEAM: 7 players scoring in double digits!
3.57%
1 3.57%
Total 28 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 76 DIRKIE: LUUUKA! (84%)
Who was the player of the game who elevated his game above normal to help the team get the win?
Like Reply
Luka. Sat in the 4th quarter, and we somehow didn't even manage to hit 130 points after those first 3 quarters with him which cements it for me.

Honorable mention to Maxi Kleber for having a coast to coast play (ok maybe that's really an honorable mention to the Laker's D)
Like Reply
Luka deserves it for his domination in only 3 quarters. But my second choice is Bertans. More of that, please!
Like Reply
Yep. Wanted to vote Bertans. From lackluster to laser on that stroke. Plus the rebounds. Plus the lightening speed running the court. I’m loving it. 

But 34/12/12 in 3Qs? That’s just stupid. Definitely Dirkie worthy.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1508980062019854339?s=20&t=RKAX9NYEYTMuxxrHoPa_7g
Like Reply
Luka won’t get as many triple doubles with this lineup playing so well. If they gave credit for hockey assist he would get oodles of them. So this was awesome tonight. Give him the Dirkie!
Like Reply
This kind of game is really hard to give out a single Dirkie.

7 players in double figures.  That's pretty good.

Luka had a fine triple double.  He deserves a Dirkie.  One of these days, after I have kicked the bucket, I'm sure we'll (we?) be giving out the LUKA!.  But right now it's the Dirkie--and rightly so.  I don't want to slight Luka, but I'm going to look further.  Yes, yes, yes...he deserves it.

DB for the Dirkie?  Yes...that DB.  Davis Bertans.  Our Davis Bertans.  I didn't know anything about him--except that he got traded from San Antonio (right?), and some people were bad mouthing him.  I was surprised at the effort he put in...on defense and playing with the team.  Not offense, because it generally wasn't falling.  I can appreciate the little things off the ball though.  He played with an edge.  Damn I like that!  So...last night his shot was falling.  Maybe he is getting comfortable with his new team.  Who knows?  Anyway...14 points in 15 minutes and 5 rebounds.  I can go with that "elevation" of play.  My Dirkie to DB.  Yes...our Davis Bertans...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
Was it this game or the last—not sure. But I watched Bertans defend a one-on-one fast break to perfection and then sprint down court at surprising speed, getting in front of the entire defense for a lead pass from Luka for a wide-open dunk. It surprised me as much as it did the unsuspecting defenders. Dude is getting his mojo back. He’s going to have a Peja-like effect on this team, and I’m loving it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jommybone's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 09:50 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Was it this game or the last—not sure. But I watched Bertans defend a one-on-one fast break to perfection and then sprint down court at surprising speed, getting in front of the entire defense for a lead pass from Luka for a wide-open dunk. It surprised me as much as it did the unsuspecting defenders. Dude is getting his mojo back. He’s going to have a Peja-like effect on this team, and I’m loving it.

DB has been a better defensive player than offensive player so far for the Mavs IMO (though the spacing he adds even when he is missing shots is GOOD). 

Also, I LOVE the DB fastbreaks. Dude is fast. 

Overall the most important thing is he is playing like he gives a shit at all moments and doesn't take plays off. Love it.
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 10:19 AM)Kammrath Wrote: DB has been a better defensive player than offensive player so far for the Mavs IMO (though the spacing he adds even when he is missing shots is GOOD). 

Also, I LOVE the DB fastbreaks. Dude is fast. 

Overall the most important thing is he is playing like he gives a shit at all moments and doesn't take plays off. Love it.

Yeah, agreed. 

I think the Dirkie votes for him in this game are a stretch, but so far basically none of the concerns that were raised around here about Bertans have been true. I have not found him to be a particularly bad defender. He has had GOOD moments on defense in every game he's played.
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 10:52 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, agreed. 

I think the Dirkie votes for him in this game are a stretch, but so far basically none of the concerns that were raised around here about Bertans have been true. I have not found him to be a particularly bad defender. He has had GOOD moments on defense in every game he's played.

WAB projects Bertans as the equivalent to 2011 Peja S.
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 11:05 AM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: WAB projects Bertans as the equivalent to 2011 Peja S.

To me, he seems to have much more left in the tank than Peja did at that point. My dude was basically done by then. Not really a factor after the second round.
Like Reply
That was an absolute decimation. Luka played so well. 

I really enjoyed watching Green hit some threes and be aggressive.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 11:39 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: much more left in the tank than Peja did at that point

Agree with this.

But I like the Peja comparison insofar as he is a guy who could help win you a key game and series. DB likely won't be a continual strong contributor in the playoffs, but it is EASY for me to imagine a game or two or three (depending on how far the Mavs go) where DB comes off the bench and the Mavs just get him looks from three when the O has been struggling. 

Remember what Kerr did to the Mavs??
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft, michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 11:54 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I really enjoyed watching Green hit some threes and be aggressive.

This is one of the stories of the season, imho. Unbelievable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 11:58 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: This is one of the stories of the season, imho. Unbelievable.

I was thinking to myself how Green looked like he belonged out there last night. And I couldn't help but wonder how another year under Carlisle would've affected Green. It's obvious Kidd has carved out a niche role for him and is slowly adding more responsibility. Once he starts taking more threes and hitting them he instantly becomes such an integral role player. 

Refreshing to see. I hope he breaks out in the playoffs.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 12:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I was thinking to myself how Green looked like he belonged out there last night. And I couldn't help but wonder how another year under Carlisle would've affected Green. It's obvious Kidd has carved out a niche role for him and is slowly adding more responsibility. Once he starts taking more threes and hitting them he instantly becomes such an integral role player. 

I was very 50/50 on the Kidd hire when it happened. I'm 100% all-in now. He's asked and gotten more from each individual player who's bought in. I know it's not ALL him... he has a complete staff... I just couldn't be more impressed with what he's done this year for Green, DFS, JB, DP (on the defensive end), the new guys fitting right in offensively and looking like serviceable to good defensive players in SD and DB. Impressive and exciting for the future.
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 12:29 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I was thinking to myself how Green looked like he belonged out there last night. And I couldn't help but wonder how another year under Carlisle would've affected Green. It's obvious Kidd has carved out a niche role for him and is slowly adding more responsibility. Once he starts taking more threes and hitting them he instantly becomes such an integral role player. 

Another year under Carlisle and Green would still be pounding the pine--with his butt--or traded.

Yes, yes, yes...I know.  To some people Carlisle is a basketball god.  Just a difference of opinion...
Like Reply
I know he won't get it because there are more media-friendly candidates, but I'm supportive of Kidd for COTY consideration. 

Sure the Mavs were a playoff team last year, but nobody (outside of a few here on the board) had them at anything like 50 wins. Add in the injury/Covid games lost then stir in the KP drama and you have a new coach with a new (defense) focus trying to re-program a team that didn't change much personnel-wise from the offensively-oriented previous season.

All the while rehabbing KP's image enough to get another team to bite on the trade. Not to mention getting playable minutes out of Green and making Luka a seemingly happy camper.
Like Reply
(03-30-2022, 01:05 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: Another year under Carlisle and Green would still be pounding the pine--with his butt--or traded.

Yes, yes, yes...I know.  To some people Carlisle is a basketball god.  Just a difference of opinion...

It's very possible that Kidd gave Green opportunities this season that Carlisle wouldn't have. We can't know for sure, either way. But, he didn't get them at the beginning of the year, that's for sure. So, we know that Kidd saw that he wasn't ready yet when the season began, same as Carlisle did last year. 

I'm sure Green has learned much from Kidd and his staff, which is great, but I bet he'd also tell you (if we could ask) that he learned a ton last year, too. During a crazy, covid-check-in season with no practices, no less. It was a difficult situation, to say the least. 

Whatever the truth is, most of the credit probably needs to go to Green, himself, for doing the work and making it clear he belongs on the floor.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply