Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brandon Knight signed to a second 10-day hardship contract
(04-02-2022, 10:54 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I STRONGLY don't believe it's as difficult as you're trying to make it out to be.

You're stuck on "can they or can't they"...I'm trying to suggest that maybe "they don't want to."

I wouldn't if I were they, so it makes sense to me to think of it in those terms. You clearly think a big bruiser is a glaring need (might be right!) so it's difficult for you to see it from the angle I'm suggesting. 

Yes, they can devise a scheme for an Adams type to get some effective minutes, and yes, they can find one of those easily enough. What I'm suggesting is that maybe (maybe) they think, as I do, that doing so would be counterproductive.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 02:28 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You're stuck on "can they or can't they"...I'm trying to suggest that maybe "they don't want to."

I wouldn't if I were they, so it makes sense to me to think of it in those terms. You clearly think a big bruiser is a glaring need (might be right!) so it's difficult for you to see it from the angle I'm suggesting. 

Yes, they can devise a scheme for an Adams type to get some effective minutes, and yes, they can find one of those easily enough. What I'm suggesting is that maybe (maybe) they think, as I do, that doing so would be counterproductive.
I don’t think we can say one way or another definitively what they want (although I have no doubt Cuban wants Powell on the team even if Kidd didn’t). They took a mulligan on last offseason to see what they have in the team they inherited. This offseason will tell us a lot more about what they’re wanting to accomplish. A lot of that will be based on availability though too. 

I like that we heard they were looking for ball handling and shooting at the TDL. If we keep getting those leaks of overall strategy, we are then able to figure out their mind on things.

As far as me wanting a big body. It’s more about a guy who can bang with those guys. If that comes in a smaller body (Adebayo and Green are examples of the TYPE) then I’m all for it. If we can’t get that player, I’d be fine with settling on a big Adams type.
Like Reply
Serious question? Is there anyone reading here that believes Powell and Kleber are the duo that brings this team a championship (on this team that is building from a core of DFS, Luka, and probably JB and SD)? If there is anyone that answers yes, I can't take you seriously.
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 08:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Serious question? Is there anyone reading here that believes Powell and Kleber are the duo that brings this team a championship (on this team that is building from a core of DFS, Luka, and probably JB and SD)? If there is anyone that answers yes, I can't take you seriously.

Maybe, maybe not. 

The point (for me) is that I believe they're the duo that gets them 10x closer than a Stephen Adams type does.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch
Like Reply
(04-02-2022, 08:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Serious question? Is there anyone reading here that believes Powell and Kleber are the duo that brings this team a championship (on this team that is building from a core of DFS, Luka, and probably JB and SD)? If there is anyone that answers yes, I can't take you seriously.

Maybe, maybe not.

But they're the duo we got right now.  Both play superbly at times  DP is rugged as hell...and never gives up.  Maxi is a glue guy who does many things well.  Unfortunately he is struggling on offense right now.  That is a problem.  I don't see that they have much time to work on his offense right now.  We'll see.

But...at this point...we've got to go with the team we've got...
[-] The following 1 user Likes ballsrchr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Stars bring championships. Centers In the current NBA are mostly role players. DP and Maxi might be good enough role players to help the stars make some noise.
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 3 users Like fifteenth's post:
  • F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
Starting centers on title teams:

21: Brook Lopez
20: Javale McGee
19: Marc Gasol
18: Draymond Green
17: Zaza Pachulia
16: Tristan Thompson
15: Andrew Bogut
14: Tim Duncan
13: Chris Bosh
12: Chris Bosh
11: Tyson Chandler

It's been a long time since you've needed a star center to win a title. And the guys who were stars at the time of the title, were basically PFs starting in small-ball lineups.
Like Reply
(04-03-2022, 11:00 PM)Branduil Wrote: Starting centers on title teams:

21: Brook Lopez
20: Javale McGee
19: Marc Gasol
18: Draymond Green
17: Zaza Pachulia
16: Tristan Thompson
15: Andrew Bogut
14: Tim Duncan
13: Chris Bosh
12: Chris Bosh
11: Tyson Chandler

It's been a long time since you've needed a star center to win a title. And the guys who were stars at the time of the title, were basically PFs starting in small-ball lineups.
Holy crap thank you for proving my point. Every one of those names are either big bodies, or players that can bang with big bodies. Why is that so hard to get through?

Also there are quite a few steps above Powell and Kleber before you get to star!
Like Reply
You really think Tristan Thompson is a few steps up from what we have?

Also I should point out Brook Lopez, while a good player, ended up benched a lot in the playoffs in favor of small-ball with Giannis at center.
Like Reply
(04-03-2022, 11:25 PM)Branduil Wrote: You really think Tristan Thompson is a few steps up from what we have?

Also I should point out Brook Lopez, while a good player, ended up benched a lot in the playoffs in favor of small-ball with Giannis at center.
Man, you’re missing just about all my thoughts leading up to these. I never said TT is better than Powell. I said he could bang with all the big bodies that almost all playoff teams employ and start. 

The role Lopez played is almost exactly the role I’ve suggested we get a big body for. Start and play as much as he is useful. The rest of the time Powell and someone else can fill.

Also, let me be clear, my preference is to get a Turner type to be the non-situational C.
Like Reply
(04-03-2022, 11:00 PM)Branduil Wrote: It's been a long time since you've needed a star center to win a title. And the guys who were stars at the time of the title, were basically PFs starting in small-ball lineups.

I know I'm getting a little picayune by bringing it up but I'd argue that Giannis was the center for those MIL teams. 

Suns also had Ayton who I'd qualify as a star center. Lakers might've started Javale, but it was really AD as their center in their closing lineups. 

Looking past these miniscule details, a common trend that all of these teams follow to me is that is in order to advance out of the first round we need to have a certain talent level from either the 4 or 5. The only exceptions being those legendary Warriors teams that have probably the best small ball 5 of all time. 

Neither Maxi nor Powell are at the level needed for the Mavs to be taken seriously. Powell has proved me wrong a bunch this year and I've gone from thinking he had to be shipped off ASAP to seeing him as an invaluable piece. But I still think his best role is coming off the bench and playing 20mpg versus starting. Maxi has fallen out of my favor quite fast given how his offense has disappeared. 

In any case there should be some good centers available this summer for trade. Turner, Holmes, Gobert, Ayton to name a few. Some more realistic than others. Getting any one will make this team a serious threat in my mind.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(04-03-2022, 11:36 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: But I still think his best role is coming off the bench and playing 20mpg versus starting.
Maybe.

But I think the unmentioned point is that Luka trusts DP to be where he needs to be and do the things he needs to do. That, more than anything, cements DP to the Mavs and keeps him in the starting lineup, or at least the finishing lineup. 

Same point can be made with DFS.

I don't see Maxi diving off the PnR the way DP does. Maxi tends to flare out to the corner for a 3pt try while DP cuts to the rim for the lob or putback.
Like Reply