Poll: What do you think the total points for both teams will be? O/U 223.5
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Over
25.00%
1 25.00%
Under
75.00%
3 75.00%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 71: DAL(43-28) vs. CHA (36-35) | 108-129 loss
(03-19-2022, 08:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I really hope TB doesn't get any minutes in the playoffs, he really is a liability.
I’m done with him and Brown. Bertans is heading that direction too. Let Frank, Green and Chriss get all those minutes
Like Reply
Still think the game is on Kidd. You replace Dinwiddie with Kleber/DP, and that lineup was too slow to run them of the line better. When was the last game they played 2 bigs even?

Josh Green has started before, why even go with 2 bigs. The starters sucked in the 1st and the 3rd.

yo Kidd, KP has left the building. Neither Powell/Kleber needs protection ...
Like Reply
Brown has been a bad decision. He's not even a vet min end of bench player IMO. I guess now that I think of it, neither is Burke. Frank and Green can handle enough to take care of it til we can get more ball handlers with better talent.
Like Reply
Luka was fabulous. But when he doesn't get any help, Dallas is very vulnerable. Dinwiddie was out, so they missed him but Brunson, Chriss and Frankie were the only others in double figures. They got nothing from anyone else. The team is too dependent on Luka and he needs consistent help whether he's on or not. This should be addressed in the off season.
Like Reply
(03-19-2022, 08:33 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Luka was fabulous

His shooting was fabulous, that was about it.
Like Reply
Honestly bizarre to single out Luka for this game.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(03-19-2022, 09:08 PM)Branduil Wrote: Honestly bizarre to single out Luka for this game.

His defense and effort was absolutely atrocious. The team D when he played was really, really, really bad. He shot the ball great, but I didn't like anything else about his game. 

He is the superstar, I hold him to the highest standard on the team.
Like Reply
I exempt Luka DFS Powell and Brunson. The lesser minutes guys have to step in this schedule loss situation. They didn’t. Nobody’s regulars play defense as well in these situations. Never! The lesser minute guys must step up. That’s why schedule losses are schedule losses. The guys mentioned by others did not play defense or offense. Trust me. Nico noticed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ReunionMav's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(03-19-2022, 09:15 PM)Kammrath Wrote: His defense and effort was absolutely atrocious. The team D when he played was really, really, really bad. He shot the ball great, but I didn't like anything else about his game. 

He is the superstar, I hold him to the highest standard on the team.
Well I guess you can enjoy holding Cole Anthony to that standard when Luka forces his way out of this franchise
Like Reply
I won't complain about the lack of roster talent too much tonight since we were missing a lot of key players. But out of all the players who played on both teams in this game, if you put them in a draft...the Hornets really might have 6 of the first 7 players picked. It would look something like:

Luka
LaMelo
Bridges
Rozier
Washington
Oubre
Harrell
Brunson

Undecided
[-] The following 1 user Likes SwisherPrice's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(03-19-2022, 09:37 PM)ReunionMav Wrote: I exempt Luka DFS Powell and Brunson. The lesser minutes guys have to step in this schedule loss situation. They didn’t. Nobody’s regulars play defense as well in these situations. Never! The lesser minute guys must step up. That’s why schedule losses are schedule losses. The guys mentioned by others did not play defense or offense. Trust me. Nico noticed.

Ntilikina was beyond horrible. Talent level is weak besides our few best guys. So many open spaces and opportunities tough to exploit for these guys.
Like Reply
Luka was excellent. 

Everyone else was terrible for the most part aside for some flashes. We were REALLY hurting without Dinwiddie and Bullock. 

The fatigue of a 3rd game in 4 nights and the 2nd game of a back to back definitely showed. No one had their legs. 

Maxi's offense is really quite terrible. Have no idea what happened to him. He looks like how he plays in the playoffs. Incredibly timid and shrinks. Which is peculiar because he's the exact opposite on the defensive end.

(03-20-2022, 02:16 AM)burekemde Wrote: Ntilikina was beyond horrible. Talent level is weak besides our few best guys. So many open spaces and opportunities tough to exploit for these guys.

Brown, Burke, Frank are 3 dead roster spots. Boban is also technically a dead roster spot but if he's Luka's best friend he gets immunity. 

Have to find a way to turn those 3 guys into 1 serviceable 10th guy.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 02:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Luka was excellent. 

Everyone else was terrible for the most part aside for some flashes. We were REALLY hurting without Dinwiddie and Bullock. 

The fatigue of a 3rd game in 4 nights and the 2nd game of a back to back definitely showed. No one had their legs. 

Maxi's offense is really quite terrible. Have no idea what happened to him. He looks like how he plays in the playoffs. Incredibly timid and shrinks. Which is peculiar because he's the exact opposite on the defensive end.

Brown, Burke, Frank are 3 dead roster spots. Boban is also technically a dead roster spot but if he's Luka's best friend he gets immunity. 

They need more than one guy. That bench needs upgrading for sure, you can start with the players you listed, as well as Bobi. Kidd's not playing him.
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 02:47 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Luka was excellent. 

Not meaning to pick on you SH, but I think quite a few people here spend way too much time worrying about roster spots outside of the top 8.  7 to 8 players is all that will play in the playoffs.  Guys making around $3 million isn't enough over the minimum to matter that much. The roster spots have to be filled.  Does it really matter that Brown and the rest makes an extra million or so?  Heck, I've even read one guy who was complaining about Josh Green getting a $141,000 pay raise next season.

We have three ball handlers that matter.  We have four wings that matter and probably need three in the playoffs.  We have two bigs that matter.  That's 8 and we are paying Bertans as part of the price of moving on from KP or getting Dinwiddie depending how you interpret things.  Someone like Chriss and Burke are necessary for injuries and foul issues.  Unless Brown, Frank and Boban have enough value to upgrade one of the top 8, it just doesn't matter that they make $3 million instead of $1-point-something million.  

The real question is whether there is a realistic path in the near term that allows us to upgrade a spot without giving up too much.

Is it realistic to use a ball handler and other assets to upgrade something?  SD is the only one you can trade and get value back.

Is it realistic to use a wing and other assets to upgrade something?  This is the position of greatest excess in terms of a playoff rotation.  I HATE the idea of giving up Green, but it is certainly possible to combine him and a pick and our TPE to get something of value.  Bullock probably has slightly positive value and I'd guess THJ has neutral value.  Even neutral value is value as you might find someone who's neutral value better fits what you are trying to do.  BTW, paths to Holmes (if that is the guy) using any of those guys.  DFS is the only lock to stay as best as I can ell.

Is it realistic to use a big and other assets to upgrade something?  This is the position of greatest need.  Upgrading is tricky.  Send out Maxi and you'd better be getting back a defender who does somethings that Maxi doesn't.  Send out Powell and you better be getting back a superior roll man.  We REALLY need rebounding, but great rebounders don't tend to play the PnR as well as either Maxi or Powell.

Is it reasonable to use Bertans and other assets to upgrate something?  Probably not yet.

So, some wing to somewhere for some big.  Personally, I'd do Reggie for Holmes and move Powell to the bench and Maxi to the backup four.  I would keep my pick.  I could see a similar version of this using Green and the TPE or using THJ (which would require Sacrmento sending out another player.  I'd end up with something along the lines of what is below:  

Holmes/Powell     Chriss/Boban
DFS/Maxi            Bertans
Green/THJ          Brown
Brunson/SD        Frank
Luka/SD             Burke
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft, loki, MFFL
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 03:51 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Not meaning to pick on you SH, but I think quite a few people here spend way too much time worrying about roster spots outside of the top 8.  7 to 8 players is all that will play in the playoffs.  Guys making around $3 million isn't enough over the minimum to matter that much. The roster spots have to be filled.  Does it really matter that Brown and the rest makes an extra million or so?  Heck, I've even read one guy who was complaining about Josh Green getting a $141,000 pay raise next season.

We have three ball handlers that matter.  We have four wings that matter and probably need three in the playoffs.  We have two bigs that matter.  That's 8 and we are paying Bertans as part of the price of moving on from KP or getting Dinwiddie depending how you interpret things.  Someone like Chriss and Burke are necessary for injuries and foul issues.  Unless Brown, Frank and Boban have enough value to upgrade one of the top 8, it just doesn't matter that they make $3 million instead of $1-point-something million.  

The real question is whether there is a realistic path in the near term that allows us to upgrade a spot without giving up too much.

Is it realistic to use a ball handler and other assets to upgrade something?  SD is the only one you can trade and get value back.

Is it realistic to use a wing and other assets to upgrade something?  This is the position of greatest excess in terms of a playoff rotation.  I HATE the idea of giving up Green, but it is certainly possible to combine him and a pick and our TPE to get something of value.  Bullock probably has slightly positive value and I'd guess THJ has neutral value.  Even neutral value is value as you might find someone who's neutral value better fits what you are trying to do.  BTW, paths to Holmes (if that is the guy) using any of those guys.  DFS is the only lock to stay as best as I can ell.

Is it realistic to use a big and other assets to upgrade something?  This is the position of greatest need.  Upgrading is tricky.  Send out Maxi and you'd better be getting back a defender who does somethings that Maxi doesn't.  Send out Powell and you better be getting back a superior roll man.  We REALLY need rebounding, but great rebounders don't tend to play the PnR as well as either Maxi or Powell.

Is it reasonable to use Bertans and other assets to upgrate something?  Probably not yet.

So, some wing to somewhere for some big.  Personally, I'd do Reggie for Holmes and move Powell to the bench and Maxi to the backup four.  I would keep my pick.  I could see a similar version of this using Green and the TPE or using THJ (which would require Sacrmento sending out another player.  I'd end up with something along the lines of what is below:  

Holmes/Powell     Chriss/Boban
DFS/Maxi            Bertans
Green/THJ          Brown
Brunson/SD        Frank
Luka/SD             Burke

This is absolutely fantastic. I agree with every word, especially the (objective) first 7 paragraphs and conclusion about the way forward. 

The (subjective) idea to target Holmes does seem possible, which is probably the main reason it's gaining so much traction around here. I have become less and less sure that he's the guy we think, but if he is, that's a realistic way to improve the team. And honestly, I don't think the team is all that far off from contention. 

Look at the improvements we've seen from DFS and Brunson this year. Powell is starting to look like his old self again. We can debate his value around here if we must, but I think he's embarrassingly good in the scenario where he plays 20 minutes off the bench. Like, almost too good for that. Deep playoff teams have situations like that. I believe Dinwiddie (and possibly Bertans) will fit even better with the team after a training camp. That has been the case, historically with these TDL deals. There will be even more improvement in the future from Luka, Brunson, DFS, Kleber, Dinwiddie, Green, etc. These guys aren't completed products. The needle is always moving. 

Honestly, even if Holmes isn't the guy some of us believe, the worst case scenario is that he's an upgrade to Chriss in that he'll be regularly used, even when folks aren't injured or in foul trouble. This would free Kleber up to be used at the 4 with Powell/Holmes, or at the 5, depending on matchups/situational need. Given Dan's point (very accurate, imo) that Green/Bullock/THJ is one qualified for playoff minutes person extra, I'd say turning one of those three into Holmes and re-signing Brunson would be a hell of an off-season. If you can somehow keep your pick and add something for the future with it, even better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • loki
Like Reply
(03-20-2022, 03:51 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Not meaning to pick on you SH, but I think quite a few people here spend way too much time worrying about roster spots outside of the top 8.  7 to 8 players is all that will play in the playoffs.  Guys making around $3 million isn't enough over the minimum to matter that much. The roster spots have to be filled.  Does it really matter that Brown and the rest makes an extra million or so?  Heck, I've even read one guy who was complaining about Josh Green getting a $141,000 pay raise next season.

I actually don't mind getting picked on if my ideas are getting challenged! Keep it coming.

I actually agree with what you said above. And also agree that the last 3-4 roster spots are "break in case of emergency" type of deal. But I just think we could get guys who have a better talent level for the same money than what we have right now. Burke is not a good NBA player. We'd be better off signing Dragic for the vet min this summer. Heck even career journeyman DJ Augustin would be a better fit imo, and both would cost half what Burke makes now. Sterling Brown hasn't done a single thing correct in nearly 2 months, and I could possibly count on my hand the positive plays he's had all year. A total waste of 3 mil and I'd rather develop a rookie than have him on the roster.

I don't mind Frank and I'm fine with keeping him. Boban is fine since he's an obvious culture guy. Chriss is okay too. 

Replacing Burke+Brown with a one year 10yr vet deal (1.7 mil ish..?) and rookie contract is at least 2-3 mil of savings which isn't insignificant at least to me. 
Raising our floor while cutting costs only makes sense to me. Burke and Brown aren't NBA players and are getting paid 2x what they deserve.

(03-20-2022, 03:51 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The real question is whether there is a realistic path in the near term that allows us to upgrade a spot without giving up too much.

I agree this is the main question that's also on my mind and all the rest is ancillary.

Like you pointed out the biggest position of need is a big. The assets they use (THJ, Maxi, RB, Green etc.) to get there just depends on how the playoffs shake out and who falls to us at the draft.

If a guy like Mark Williams or Walker Kessler is there at 23 are we clamoring to overpay for a guy like Holmes? Though that opens up a whole other bag of questions like can we trust a rookie center to play meaningful minutes on a team ready to take the next step.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply