Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
THE GREEN MACHINE: The Subtle Emergence of Josh Green
(11-29-2022, 11:11 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Some Notes:

• Mavs can pretty much scrap any idea of Green as a primary ballhandler even for short stretches. He is good helping out taking the ball up court, but leave him in the backcourt all by himself with pressure D is just asking for a turnover. The thing with Green is he can dribble in breaks, he can zig-zag his way without losing dribble in full speed, but somehow bring the ball up slowly and deliberately is a weakness for him.

• When Josh is up top screening for Luka, I expect good things. When Luka gets doubled, a pass to Green could mean a 3 pointer, an extra pass to the open man, and a drive towards the basket. The first 2, you'd get from RB, DFS and even Maxi, but very seldom they do drives to the basket, and when they do, it just seem so slow and awkward. I hope the Mavs exploit Green's capability to slash in the lane with that guard screen on top. This team needs more variety from the 3 point shooting offense.

spot on, very well observed!

On point 2, with that space and Greens abthleticism, I have also noticed Greens potential in attacking the rim with that space. Thats super exciting. Wood, SD and Green are the players to srround with Luka in case of doubles. Thats the 3 that have the abiloty to drive and attack the rim, and thats the 3 players you dont leave open high up the court, because with space they will drive to the basket and you cant do anything about it. Everyone else is basically totally incapable (other than taking the open shot). So if we want to limit doubles on Luka, Wood/SD/Green is the way to go. And additional completely hot outside shooter that you never leave alone.
Like Reply
That's what happens when he doesn't get called for those "rookie calls". He put Poole in his pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AVAr3E0ceRk
[-] The following 1 user Likes juanc's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 06:20 AM)juanc Wrote: That's what happens when he doesn't get called for those "rookie calls". He put Poole in his pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/AVAr3E0ceRk
That and a few other plays throughout the course of the game makes me think he may have a bit of bulldog in him. If we can develop that in him, it’s something I think we definitely need on this team!
Like Reply
With the touches and minutes, I think he's already a 12 to 15 ppg type of guy
Just have to put him in that position and live with the inevitable drop in efficiency
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 11:29 AM)Jym Wrote: With the touches and minutes, I think he's already a 12 to 15 ppg type of guy
Just have to put him in that position and live with the inevitable drop in efficiency

I think something that is important is the JOSH needs to understand it's ok for his efficiency to drop a little bit and play a little more free.  Even in his post game comments you can tell there's still this idea of playing mistake free to get more playing time.  He needs to be sat down and told he's arrived and it's ok to take some chances here in there because his role is secure right now.  I think the team will send that signal to him by the trade deadline by moving on from Bullock though.
[-] The following 3 users Like StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • ballsrchr, DanSchwartzgan, Smitty
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 11:29 AM)Jym Wrote: With the touches and minutes, I think he's already a 12 to 15 ppg type of guy

Wait, what?  The guy who is averaging 19.5 minutes (almost 21 the last 10 games), leads the regulars in 3%, TS%, O-Rating and D-EPM and is one of the best in On-Off…That guy is already a 12-15 minute guy.

The beauty of Josh Green is he’s always been better the more minutes he plays.  That is true again this season as well.  Don’t need to live with inevitable drop in efficiency (maybe from the torrid pace he’s established this season, but not from additional minutes).  Get to, instead, look forward to predictable increase in impact and contribution.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ballsrchr, Smitty
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 11:44 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Wait, what?  The guy who is averaging 19.5 minutes (almost 21 the last 10 games), leads the regulars in 3%, TS%, O-Rating and D-EPM and is one of the best in On-Off…That guy is already a 12-15 minute guy.

The beauty of Josh Green is he’s always been better the more minutes he plays.  That is true again this season as well.  Don’t need to live with inevitable drop in efficiency (maybe from the torrid pace he’s established this season, but not from additional minutes).  Get to, instead, look forward to predictable increase in impact and contribution.

you had me thinking I typed 12 to 15 mpg
Like Reply
(11-30-2022, 11:47 AM)Jym Wrote: you had me thinking I typed 12 to 15 mpg

Oh, my bad.  I did think you typed mpg.  Sorry.
Like Reply
I have been so impressed with Green.  I am at the point where if he is not getting close to 25 minutes a night (outside of foul trouble) that I am really disappointed.  I am sure he is going to have rough spots and he certainly won't shoot this well from 3 all year, but he makes things happen.

If this team can increase their high level talent, Green is going to be a perfect piece to blend into them.  Even if he stays at this level he is good enough.   The really interesting questions happen if he has another jump in his game.   At only 22, it is certainly possible.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply
I'm really impressed with Green. While I still don't think he should be starting, I am confused that he doesn't get at least 25 minutes per game

In the last 12 games, Green has only hit 25 minutes 3 times (and once more at 24 minutes). Granted he fouled out one of the games, but still.

Green is underutilized in my opinion.
Like Reply
(12-04-2022, 10:44 AM)MFFL Wrote: I'm really impressed with Green. While I still don't think he should be starting, I am confused that he doesn't get at least 25 minutes per game

In the last 12 games, Green has only hit 25 minutes 3 times (and once more at 24 minutes). Granted he fouled out one of the games, but still.

Green is underutilized in my opinion.

Maybe he is a little on the underutilized side so far this year, but it seems like he's already getting some of Bullock's minutes on some nights, which I bet is a pretty big deal from the Mavs' perspective. 

Point being, I think it's trending the right way.
Like Reply
In 2 years Green will be good...or at least better offensively and Im sure his NBA IQ will increase helping his already disruptive defense.

I still wonder what will think of him at 12-18M per year and playing 25+ minutes a game every game.  Seems like he will be less explosive as time goes on because he will be more exhausted from playing more minutes.

Next 3 years will be fin times to watch Green before his energy starts decreasing.
Like Reply
Good thing have happened lately, when Josh went agressive to the basket. He has shown he can attack off the dribble, but what I liked the most is the fact that he is able to also make plays for his teammates. He had 2 or 3 nice assists after a drive vs tje Knicks

Here's one of them:

https://twitter.com/GrantAfseth/status/1...7075431425
[-] The following 2 users Like juanc's post:
  • DallasMaverick, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-04-2022, 03:13 PM)juanc Wrote: Good thing have happened lately, when Josh went agressive to the basket. He has shown he can attack off the dribble, but what I liked the most is the fact that he is able to also make plays for his teammates. He had 2 or 3 nice assists after a drive vs tje Knicks

Here's one of them:

No doubt!

He's one of the most "well-rounded" players on the roster. Maybe the most.
Like Reply
I used to scoff at the idea of Green being a third ball handler on this team but it’s looking less and less outlandish by the day. His ability to get into the paint is our path to moving Dinwiddie back into a 6th man role (which I do agree is a more ideal role, I just don’t think he’s doing as poorly in the current role he’s forced into as this board seems to think). We NEED someone who can get into the paint next to Luka and while Hardaway gives you a little more than Bullock its not a ton and he’s better suited to catch and shoot. Luka alone is not enough to get the defense moving, there has to be a threat to attack close outs off the dribble as the ball is rotating after Luka gets the blender started.

Luka/Green/Hardaway/DFS/Powell 

Bring Dinwiddie on early for Green then you can bring green back for Luka at the start of the second so you can roll with

Dinwiddie/Green/Bullock/Maxi/Wood 

Kemba and Hardy fighting for spot minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrandedOnBeauboisHill's post:
  • mvossman
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...1025844224
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(12-05-2022, 11:31 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...1025844224

I hope Kidd doesn't credit himself for this.
Took him long enough to get Green his deserved minutes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(12-04-2022, 03:13 PM)juanc Wrote: Good thing have happened lately, when Josh went agressive to the basket. He has shown he can attack off the dribble, but what I liked the most is the fact that he is able to also make plays for his teammates. He had 2 or 3 nice assists after a drive vs tje Knicks

Here's one of them:

You can tell Luka loves these easy baskets (with how hard he has been working for most of his points).. He had a another easy basket off a Josh Green drive vs Phoenix...what Bullock and DFS will not be able to give Luka
[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(12-05-2022, 11:31 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...1025844224

Tim Mc is just attention-grabbing. There's no opportunity for a Green extension right now.
Like Reply
Ball park figure on Greens contract assuming he keeps trending up?
Like Reply