Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favors and Brogdon were the guys
Is it possible to retroactively give the MBT a grade lower than F- for the offseason? Two great starters we could have added to the team instead of adding more bench guys to a team that's 90% bench players. Two great starters who were available and could have been had instead of chasing dudes who were never going to sign with us anyway. It's just incredible how bad they were at accessing who actually wanted to be here and who was playing us.
Like Reply
They were not chasing anyone. Kemba was gone 3 days before FA started. That was the best player they were chasing.

Once even that option went awy it seemed like the front office went into stupor mode. They seemed to have no plan B.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 08:29 AM)LukstapsPorzingic Wrote: Favors may still be available at the TDL or as a free agent this offseason. Let's pray that we can add him and find a taker for Powell. It will be hard to find another Brogdon level player until the 2021 offseason though.

I can't believe we Malcolm Brogdon who might be the 2nd best player on this team and foundational piece for Curry's 2pts a game and other career backups. I like Wright, I like Curry and remember Bobi could have been had easily for the rMLE still. I don't know why we didn't money whip Brog to be that third guy, we'd be set up.
Like Reply
Would have loved Brogdon. I wanted Brogdon and Beverly. Danny Green would have been better than Pat Bev though.

I think the team's Plan A was: Kemba and/or Danny Green

I think Plan B was: Delon and Seth

One upside of Delon and Seth is that they're good players on contracts that should have good value. It's possible that our multiple, good value, non-star level contracts could help facilitate a trade or trades down the road. After we struck out on Plan A it appears that we chose young players with potential who could be signed to movable contracts. 

Of course, these players won't have as much value if the players don't play well.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 10:46 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Of course, these players won't have as much value if the players don't play well.

and if they do, too many wouldn't want to trade them until they see that they aren't the guys when getting into the playoffs.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 10:58 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 10:46 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Of course, these players won't have as much value if the players don't play well.

and if they do, too many wouldn't want to trade them until they see that they aren't the guys when getting into the playoffs.

Well, I guess what matters is what Donne, Rick and Cubes think. They've always been willing to trade in the past, even while saying "we love our boys in blue". They love their players and treat them amazingly, right up and are probably even really nice about telling them to pack their bags and call a cab.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 11:01 AM)fifteenth Wrote:
(11-15-2019, 10:58 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote:

Well, I guess what matters is what Donne, Rick and Cubes think. They've always been willing to trade in the past, even while saying "we love our boys in blue". They love their players and treat them amazingly, right up and are probably even really nice about telling them to pack their bags and call a cab.

At this point I'd take that rumored Chris Paul deal
Like Reply
Free agency was a huge failure. Said it from day one. Either Cuban didn’t realize other teams were tampering or they followed the DLord strategy of waiting for the bargains. That strategy turned out exactly like I predicted. The hyping up of Delon Wright and Seth Curry was comical. And then people were doubling down on how smart the Mavs were after the 5-1 start.

Extending Powell was also monumentally stupid. Encouraging him to go away could have potentially given you $10 million more in cap room. At worst, you’d only have him for one for year. 

Now we wait for them to blow it again in 2021. They got Luka so it buys them another 10 years of good will like the title did but I wonder if we operate like a real front office or like the Cowboys did before Jerry got old.
Like Reply
Delon has actually been good this year, PER of 17 plus good defense.  Seth has not, PER = 10.  He’s been pretty abysmal and needs to ride the pine.  Favors and Brogdon would have made this team a contender.
Like Reply
(11-16-2019, 02:08 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Delon has actually been good this year

For me, he is a big dissapointment. He plays great defense, but totally passive on offense and looks affraid to shoot. Didn't step up and become a starter level player. He is just a role player.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 03:08 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Free agency was a huge failure. Said it from day one. Either Cuban didn’t realize other teams were tampering or they followed the DLord strategy of waiting for the bargains. That strategy turned out exactly like I predicted. The hyping up of Delon Wright and Seth Curry was comical. And then people were doubling down on how smart the Mavs were after the 5-1 start.

Extending Powell was also monumentally stupid. Encouraging him to go away could have potentially given you $10 million more in cap room. At worst, you’d only have him for one for year. 

Now we wait for them to blow it again in 2021. They got Luka so it buys them another 10 years of good will like the title did but I wonder if we operate like a real front office or like the Cowboys did before Jerry got old.

Luka can force his way out if he feels the front office is not doing their part. This is not Dirk who patiently put up with a lot of wasted years.  Even though he is only 20 Luka has the talent and drive to win now.  He doesn’t want to waste any season. 

I think the front office realizes it too. That’s why they made the KP deal.  That’s why it was even more puzzling how totally inept they looked when FA happened. It is as if they misread the market completely.   Sure they can pivot around and make trades but you have to give up something too in trades.  FA was a golden chance for them to add some more legitimate starters but they seemed hung up on only wanting to pay for legit stars.  This is why you end up with 2 stars and a bunch of guys who are bench players...at best.
Like Reply
Mavs couldn’t do much with the significant cap room they had to begin with, other than Delon, who’s been, as pointed out above, a solid role player, which isn’t nothing, but not what your wanting.   $10 million more wouldn’t have helped. Players appreciate Dallas when they get here.  But, they don’t want to come him.  That’s not all bad, but building through free agency shouldn’t be a primary strategy.  I’ll never be taken in again by the free agency hype.  Powell will get it together.  He’s better than whatever player they could have gotten in free agency, which is no one.
Like Reply
(11-16-2019, 09:33 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Mavs couldn’t do much with the significant cap room they had to begin with, other than Delon, who’s been, as pointed out above, a solid role player, which isn’t nothing, but not what your wanting.   $10 million more wouldn’t have helped. Players appreciate Dallas when they get here.  But, they don’t want to come him.  That’s not all bad, but building through free agency shouldn’t be a primary strategy.  I’ll never be taken in again by the free agency hype.  Powell will get it together.  He’s better than whatever player they could have gotten in free agency, which is no one.

Maybe stars who have many options wouldn’t choose the Mavs. The team could have added legit starters though.  If they were going to misuse cap space so poorly might as well overpaid for Barnes again.
Like Reply
At this point it doesn't matter if Favors or Brogdon were the men.  We don't have them.  We have to play who we have.  Time to refocus our efforts.
Like Reply
(11-16-2019, 09:33 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Mavs couldn’t do much with the significant cap room they had to begin with, other than Delon, who’s been, as pointed out above, a solid role player, which isn’t nothing, but not what your wanting.   $10 million more wouldn’t have helped. Players appreciate Dallas when they get here.  But, they don’t want to come him.  That’s not all bad, but building through free agency shouldn’t be a primary strategy.  I’ll never be taken in again by the free agency hype.  Powell will get it together.  He’s better than whatever player they could have gotten in free agency, which is no one.

The ting is, Mavs have a depleted assets after the KP trade. We basically traded our 2017,2018,2019,2021,2023 first round picks along cap space to get those 2 players. Then traded HB to ensure we have cap space in 2019 FA. 
We needed to have good FA to capitalize our assets at least, or preferably improve this team. We ended up with good role players. This is a disappointment and make things difficult for us.
Like Reply
(11-16-2019, 02:38 PM)khaled1987 Wrote:

The ting is, Mavs have a depleted assets after the KP trade. We basically traded our 2017,2018,2019,2021,2023 first round picks along cap space to get those 2 players. Then traded HB to ensure we have cap space in 2019 FA. 
We needed to have good FA to capitalize our assets at least, or preferably improve this team. We ended up with good role players. This is a disappointment and make things difficult for us.

The Barnes trade wasn't that great, they could have pushed for Bogdanovic right there. But they prefered Jackson. So let's hope that guy develops and is given a proper chance.

Most irritating about the team is that Luka is probably the most nasty of them.
Like Reply
Not going to sugar coat this.  This group of mavs posters nailed this offseason.  Not getting legit starters with 30-40M of cap space is a black eye for Donnie.  Using capspace on MLE and RLE guys is nuts - and we are seeing why on the court.  Full cap and still need starters.  Particularly letting Brogdon get away.  That was a mess.  Man, he would have been great here - exactly what this team needs, tbh.  That and Powell to play D.  haha. 

Donnie needs to hit on trades this offseason to salvage this.  Good news is that they have some decent movable contracts!  Would rather have seen the mavs use the space like Atlanta/Memphis did and acquired picks with the cap space if they didn't get the players they were targeting.  This is a repeated cycle for the Mavs who miss on the top guys, then fill the roster with stuff that others passed on to fill out the cap.  We need to either get the guys we want or take on assets for the future so that we can trade for the guys that come available.
Like Reply
(11-16-2019, 02:49 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

The Barnes trade wasn't that great, they could have pushed for Bogdanovic right there. But they prefered Jackson. 

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Barnes was a salary dump.  Jackson is nothing.  The Kings would've laughed so hard and hung up the phone if we asked for Bogdanovic for Barnes.
Like Reply
(11-16-2019, 07:09 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(11-16-2019, 02:49 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:

The Barnes trade wasn't that great, they could have pushed for Bogdanovic right there. But they prefered Jackson. 

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Barnes was a salary dump.  Jackson is nothing.  The Kings would've laughed so hard and hung up the phone if we asked for Bogdanovic for Barnes.

I'm quite sure they could have had Bogdanovic if he was available, obviously the trade would have looked different then. Your reading comprehension seems to lack quite a bit.
Like Reply
You guys talk about FA like its a store you just walk in, grab what you want and pay at the counter. There were 30 teams in FA that were bidding to keep, get rid of, or hope to attain players all fighting for the same stuff on the counter.

Just cause we had 30 mil and didn't get what we wanted doesn't mean that we didn't try to get better players than we ended up with. Saying things like "its a black on on Donnie" as if he had a magic wand and could break the rules and make what ever he wanted happen and just decided not to, "is silly."

Aside from that I agree with you guys that we should have or needed some of the better options out there. Kemba would have been great, Brogdon is pulling a mini Harden once he left OKC so far in this short season, Green and Pat Bev would have been nice. Even Morris and some Nasty would have been a great pick up in hind site seeing how well hes playing so far this year.

Thing is we have what we have at least until the trade deadline so we could spend more time finding ways to enjoy them or crushing it in the trade ideas thread to spark some more hope for a better all around team apposed to complaining in here about things we cannot change.
Like Reply