Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Non Knee-Jerk Takes
Got a long take that (a) doesn’t assume you have all the answers and (b) took more than 5 seconds to come up with? I’d like to hear it. Especially if it’s nuanced and not extreme. Most interested in the KP trade, DFS signing, and potential Goran Dragic buyout. But willing to read anything thoughtful. 

Don’t mean to criticize folks for reacting to the news of the day. But I’m hoping not to have to look through hundreds of mini tantrums to get to a well-reasoned insight. (Will submit my own, hoping you find it sufficiently thoughtful, later tonight.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • ballsrchr, Fuerza1, Kammrath, ReunionMav
Like Reply
I wonder if Dragic is still part of the plans. Feels like the Mavs just filled that role. Dragic/Dinwinddie would be redundant. Add Brunson and I don´t know how the Mavs would create minutes for all of them. Not to mention the defensive issues.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, TXBamanut
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:44 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I wonder if Dragic is still part of the plans. Feels like the Mavs just filled that role. Dragic/Dinwinddie would be redundant. Add Brunson and I don´t know how the Mavs would create minutes for all of them. Not to mention the defensive issues.

I'm doubtful because they need to add a big.  If you add Dragic too, who are the two players you are going to cut?
Like Reply
Bertans is an excellent floor spacer with a 40% career 3PT percentage. Luka needs floor spacers, Brunson too. They are two of the best drivers and finishers in the entire NBA. Bertans moves very well off-the ball a la Doug McDermott. Not a great contract but it is moveable if he returns to form. Theoretically, he is an easy fit. 

Dinwiddie, never been keen on him. Not efficient, suspect jumpshot, bad defense. I believe he can take on a hybrid Burke/THJ role off the bench for the short term. A little scoring punch and some playmaking; he has plus size. I think his passing is very sound. Optimally, he has a very limited role, smaller than the one THJ had; Josh Green still needs his minutes. Bobby Marks said maybe he's insurance policy if Brunson leaves, which would be a huge step down, IMO. 

Both guys add much needed depth for a playoff push; the bench really needed help on offense.

KP, what else is there to be said on him that hasn't? It feels eerily similar to the Chandler Parsons situation to me. He's a ticking time bomb and Mavs didn't want to be the only holding the bag when the next big injury comes. Mavs have won many games without him, and looked much better as a TEAM. Expect more ball movement, better 3PT shooting, and a better Luka.

GO MAVS!
[-] The following 5 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • ballsrchr, Jommybone, Kammrath, KillerLeft, ReunionMav
Like Reply
I'm not sure there's a need for another C.

Right now it's
Powell - Maxi - Chriss - Bobi

But finding where to fit Dragic is still hard. The roster spot isn't easy. If he is added, it seems like it will come at cost of either Franky, or S Brown. Both are owed future money, which could be an issue. You also have to figure out minutes for GD. He's not going to sign here, just to sit.

OTOH, sometimes you take what upgrade is offered, and solve the details later. It sure feels like Dragic could offer better help than either Franky, or S Brown.

Current Depth Chart (more or less) - bold look like top 8 for minutes, with the rest TBD
C - Powell, Maxi, Chriss, Bobi
PF - DFS, Bertans
SF - Bullock, S Brown
SG - Brunson, Green, [THJ]
PG - Luka, Dinwiddie, Burke, Franky
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • fifteenth, Jommybone, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 07:33 PM)F Gump Wrote: But finding where to fit Dragic is still hard. The roster spot isn't easy. If he is added, it seems like it will come at cost of either Franky, or S Brown. Both are owed future money, which could be an issue. You also have to figure out minutes for GD. He's not going to sign here, just to sit.

Isn´t Burke the more logical choice? Frank and Brown have different roles. Burke on the other hand is a lesser version of the playmakers they are trying to add.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 07:33 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm not sure there's a need for another C.

Right now it's
Powell - Maxi (often injured) - Chriss (shouldn't play)- Bobi (doesn't play)

We definitely need to add a big.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 07:39 PM)cow Wrote: We definitely need to add a big.
Correct, but more accurately, we need to replace a big, not add.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • ballsrchr
Like Reply
For the next 27 games we continue the Nico/Kidd evaluation of our own players and our own rotations. Bertrand and Dinwiddie will now get their brief evaluation to try to earn a playoff rotation spot. Playing with Luka and Brunson should help them but we will see. I have recent memories of both playing very well and earning their high salaries. If they want a good place to play, they will have to earn it all again. 

Porzingis did not pass his  evaluation. My Porzingis shirt to support him just lost value and one of our more hopeful trades and signings DID NOT work out….. unless our player rehab skills pull off a really good one. 

Given reports from today sounds like THJ has not earned much status with Nico and Kidd. The lesson for all. Defense is required here!

DFS clearly got an A. Brunson more than passed but his salary grade is yet to be determined. Given his great success and his wonderful respect for Kidd it looks good for him and us that he will be here. He should ask the two new guys how easy it is to succeed with one team and not another. The grass is green right her in Dallas. 

I hope we get Dragic. I think he would be so good for Luka as Luka respects him. He knows how to win a game or three for us.
[-] The following 3 users Like ReunionMav's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, Jommybone
Like Reply
I suspect the biggest reason this trade happened was because Luka was absolutely done with KP and the Mavs being forced to cater the offense around him (and turning the best offense in the league into bottom-third in the process).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Branduil's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 08:14 PM)Branduil Wrote: I suspect the biggest reason this trade happened was because Luka was absolutely done with KP and the Mavs being forced to cater the offense around him (and turning the best offense in the league into bottom-third in the process).

I know KL mentioned that he thought the MBT approved this trade with Luka, but I don't think he's at that point of his career yet.  I'm sure he'll shed no tears for the departure though.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 08:14 PM)Branduil Wrote: I suspect the biggest reason this trade happened was because Luka was absolutely done with KP and the Mavs being forced to cater the offense around him (and turning the best offense in the league into bottom-third in the process).

I think this might (don't want to knee-jerk, so I'll temper this) be an unsung benefit of this deal today. 

I have been puzzled all year that Kokoskov/Kidd's offensive system has been so antiquated. It has gotten better, slowly but surely, but I'm low-key hopeful that there will start to be exponential growth overnight, simply by removing the "we have to get KP involved" shackles. 

Luka is in shape now, and EVERY big on this roster (except for Boban, who won't play) is capable of spacing for the Luka/Powell two-man game. I think there's a chance he's going to take off between now and the playoffs.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, fifteenth, Jmaciscool, Jommybone, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 08:17 PM)cow Wrote: I know KL mentioned that he thought the MBT approved this trade with Luka, but I don't think he's at that point of his career yet.  I'm sure he'll shed no tears for the departure though.
Luka reached that level as soon as he made the all-NBA team. Honestly, the Mavs were asking a lot by having Luka, their best player by several orders of magnitude, sacrifice some of his game to make their super-overpaid unicorn happy. We all know how KP responded when they asked him to do the same thing.
  • ReunionMav
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 08:21 PM)Branduil Wrote: Honestly, the Mavs were asking a lot by having Luka, their best player by several orders of magnitude, sacrifice some of his game to make their super-overpaid unicorn happy. We all know how KP responded when they asked him to do the same thing.

This is a really well-put, non knee-jerk take, imho.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 08:21 PM)Branduil Wrote: Luka reached that level as soon as he made the all-NBA team. Honestly, the Mavs were asking a lot by having Luka, their best player by several orders of magnitude, sacrifice some of his game to make their super-overpaid unicorn happy. We all know how KP responded when they asked him to do the same thing.

He mentioned he didn't want to be involved when all the FO turmoil happened last season.  I referring to his personality, not his accomplishments.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/...5765676040
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • ReunionMav
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 07:33 PM)F Gump Wrote: I'm not sure there's a need for another C.

Right now it's
Powell - Maxi - Chriss - Bobi

But finding where to fit Dragic is still hard. The roster spot isn't easy. If he is added, it seems like it will come at cost of either Franky, or S Brown. Both are owed future money, which could be an issue. You also have to figure out minutes for GD. He's not going to sign here, just to sit.

OTOH, sometimes you take what upgrade is offered, and solve the details later. It sure feels like Dragic could offer better help than either Franky, or S Brown.

Current Depth Chart (more or less) - bold look like top 8 for minutes, with the rest TBD
C - Powell, Maxi, Chriss, Bobi
PF - DFS, Bertans
SF - Bullock, S Brown
SG - Brunson, Green, [THJ]
PG - Luka, Dinwiddie, Burke, Franky

Isn't Frank's future money unguaranteed though? Waiving him would be easy. Though I'd miss his defense. If anything Burke is the one that'd need to be waived as Dragic does everything he does but better. And he is owed future money which could be an issue. 

Dragic should absolutely still be in the plans. We need more options. As many as possible.

(02-10-2022, 08:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/...5765676040

Now I know the Mavs got the short end of the stick if Magic "Let me give you a 2nd & Zubac" Johnson says you did good.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • SatnamSingh
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 08:30 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/...5765676040

https://twitter.com/MagicJohnson/status/...wcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxsports.com%2Fstories%2Fnba%2Frussell-westbrook-lakers-title-favorites
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • hakeemfaan, omahen, SatnamSingh
Like Reply
One of the biggest benefits of this is the Mavs never again have to think "how will this affect KP" when thinking about future moves.

Of course, this still requires them to be able to make positive, effective personnel deals, something yet to be proven.
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 08:37 PM)Branduil Wrote: One of the biggest benefits of this is the Mavs never again have to think "how will this affect KP" when thinking about future moves.

Of course, this still requires them to be able to make positive, effective personnel deals, something yet to be proven.

From the perspective of this message board, I'm beyond thankful I'll never have to read about how trade ideas will fit in next to KP again.
[-] The following 5 users Like cow's post:
  • ballsrchr, Branduil, KillerLeft, ReunionMav, Tyler
Like Reply