Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
TRADE: Dinwiddie + Bertans to DAL | KP + 2nd to WAS
I'm starting to wonder if you can convince Jalen to stay.  We are obviously a terrible front office so what's the appeal of the Mavericks over say a Detroit or Knicks?  If I'm going to be on a bad team, I might as well have my own team being bad and maximize my future earnings.  We'll call that the Grant plan.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
Dinwiddie is fine defensively, as long as you don’t ask him to defend the other team’s starting point guard. He’s an actual shot creator and distributor off the bench. He can play with Brunson and Luka. I think Kidd will get the best out of him.

Bertans is just an overpaid shooter. Not much else to say there. He’s bad defensively, but he’s an intelligent offensive player even if he doesn’t collect other stats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes VintagePejav2's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 05:54 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: It's crazy to me that people are so happy about moving on from the KP saga that they're not looking at the return.

Ask any non Mavs fan.  Bertans and Dinwiddie are a bigger drain on their team in the year 2022 than KP is.

How could they be a bigger drain? The biggest possible drain is not playing at all. And trending downward I might add.

At least you have players that can play and have a history of playing well in other years.

We didn't get starter material, but keeping KP just sounds like fool's gold.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:03 PM)cow Wrote: I'm starting to wonder if you can convince Jalen to stay.  We are obviously a terrible front office so what's the appeal of the Mavericks over say a Detroit or Knicks?  If I'm going to be on a bad team, I might as well have my own team being bad and maximize my future earnings. 

When I look at the playoff standings, I guess I have a different definition of "bad team".
[-] The following 7 users Like Tyler's post:
  • F Gump, Fuerza1, Jommybone, MFFL, Not an evil robot, SleepingHero, Smitty
Like Reply
I don’t know what the buyout market will look like for bigs, but the Mavs definitely need another rotation-level center. Would Marc Gasol be interested in coming back to the NBA?
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 05:52 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Here are our salaries for the 2022/2023 season

Doncic 36
Brunson 19 (staying positive here)
THJ 19
Dinwiddie 18
Bertans 16
DFS 11
Powell 11
Bullock 10
Kleber 9
Boban 3.5
Burke 3.3

Unbelievable. We have assembled a $140M pay-roll with one All-Star and two good players under 28.

The worst part is I´d say they better nail that mid 1st round draft pick, but I´m pretty confident Cuban will just move the 1st round pick to avoid paying the luxury tax.

Usually, in a trade of multiple players vs 1, you can say that together, they give you more than the first player, then remind yourself that it's not the same since they can't both play on the court as one player...then you are sad.

You can't even say that about these players....combined DB and SD don't even equal what KP was giving you in one player.  And let's review the criticism of KP.

He's injured --- well, Davis Bertans has played the exact amount of games as KP and is out right now.  Spencer Dinwiddie is back this year after major knee reconstruction and is a shell of himself....and he's played 80 games once 4-5 years ago, and the rest of the time he's never played more than 68 games in a season in his career.

He's not shooting well.  Well, Bertans is shooting 31% and Dinwiddie is shooting 30%...KP is at 28%...
BONUS;  "Maybe KP will revert to form."  --- well, same thing.

He's a cancer in the locker room (KP other seasons, but not so right now) -- Dinwiddie, in addition to playing like crap, the other players in Washington have wanted him to just leave because he's such a pain to get along with.   No improvement there.

He makes too much money -- You are going to be paying these guys longer and they, together, make the same amount of money as KP.  When KP would have been an expiring contract.  The one good thing is that Dinwiddie will be an expiring contract the same year as KP would have been and he'll be more attractive because he'll be making 18 million, but only 10 million is guaranteed, so you could take back money...in TWO YEARS.  If you keep him, you'll be paying Bertans and him the same money as you would have paid KP.  Bertans will still be making 16 million the next year after that.

The ONLY upside is IF...
...SD can be better than he was in Washington
...DB can actually get healthy and shoot worth a crap (no different than we said for KP)
...We can trade SD in his expiring year in a couple of years, since that year is partially guaranteed.

I love OMega saying "got rid of the cancer in KP" as he brings in Dinwiddie who all his teammates in Washington couldn't stand him and wanted him to just leave...lol
Neither can defend their way out of a paper bag either....

(02-10-2022, 06:12 PM)VintagePejav2 Wrote: I don’t know what the buyout market will look like for bigs, but the Mavs definitely need another rotation-level center. Would Marc Gasol be interested in coming back to the NBA?

And how.

But I don't want Gasol.  His lateral movement made KP look like D'Aaron Fox.  I hope that we can get someone from the buyout market or someone that got waived by one of these teams, but we don't have any rim protection.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:14 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Unbelievable. We have assembled a $140M pay-roll with one All-Star and two good players under 28.

Sounds like the 2011 team. Boy that team really sucked.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:17 PM)Winter Wrote: Sounds like the 2011 team. Boy that team really sucked.

If anyone compares Peja to Bertans, we are fist fighting.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • hakeemfaan, ItsGoTime, MFFL, TXBamanut
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 05:56 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Yeah and force feeding him the ball and watching Luka stand around and watch really pissed me off at times. I was thinking this shit is not going to work against a team like Philly or the Lakers who can push him off the block. 

KP was holding this team back and Luka's stats have gone through the roof since KP's absence and we are better because of it.

We also lost to Orl and OKC without KP. i KP was somewhat of an easy scapegoat.  

We can blame KP. we can blame Luka being fat. The bottom line is we need more legit starting level talent.  We cannot just look at fit. Maxi fits well next to Luka too.  

A KP trade was never going to fetch you anything great because of the contract and injuries. However even with those  constraints we somehow managed to find a team that was even more desperate than us and we agreed to take on their two worst contracts with lesser talent and reward them with a 2nd round pick while we were at it.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • DrMav, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:03 PM)Winter Wrote: How could they be a bigger drain? The biggest possible drain is not playing at all. And trending downward I might add.

At least you have players that can play and have a history of playing well in other years.

We didn't get starter material, but keeping KP just sounds like fool's gold.

KP actually played more games than Bertans this season, and it's not that big a difference between him and Dinwiddie, who only played 3 games all of last season because he was injured. We didn't even upgrade in the durability department. I'd have just assumed trying to roll with KP in the playoffs this season and hoping we saw another appearance of bubble KP. This trade was crap almost no matter how you slice it
[-] The following 2 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • hakeemfaan, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
KP and Westbrook parallels with the fanbase scapegoating.  I'll allow it.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:20 PM)cow Wrote: If anyone compares Peja to Bertans, we are fist fighting.

How about I do it.

I doubt this is a 2011 championship caliber team but Peja shot 40% from 3 averaging about 9 ppg in 25 games. Sounds like doable numbers for Bertans.
Like Reply
I'm just going to get it all out now, because once these dudes get their Mavs jerseys on, then they are my guys and I'm going to have to fight for them...as you guys complain.

Dinwiddie is not an "okay" defender, he's ranked 316th in defensive rating.  Anyone who thinks this helps the Mavs better hope they have a four leaf clover in their pocket...and honestly, I hope you do too, because this trade nets the Mavs more of a logjam of mediocre to crappy players and that's all.

No upside in shooting...
No upside in chemistry...
No upside in money...

That's it...hope it gets better, but I doubt.
[-] The following 2 users Like TXBamanut's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Mavsfan12
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:21 PM)MrGoat Wrote: KP actually played more games than Bertans this season, and it's not that big a difference between him and Dinwiddie, who only played 3 games all of last season because he was injured. We didn't even upgrade in the durability department. I'd have just assumed trying to roll with KP in the playoffs this season and hoping we saw another appearance of bubble KP. This trade was crap almost no matter how you slice it

I don't think for a second that KP is going to be seeing the court more than Bertans or Dinwiddie. 

I get their past injuries, but KP looks like more problematic as your starting center than these two off the bench.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:17 PM)Winter Wrote: Sounds like the 2011 team. Boy that team really sucked.

Why am I quoted as typing that in your post?  I didn't write that.

Yeah, if you are saying that Spencer Dinwiddie is Jason Terry and Bertans is Peja, then you're an idiot....that's strong, but it's fact.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:25 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: How about I do it.

I doubt this is a 2011 championship caliber team but Peja shot 40% from 3 averaging about 9 ppg in 25 games. Sounds like doable numbers for Bertans.

Bertans was 27 last time he shot 40%.  Go take a peak at Peja's numbers when he was 27.
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:27 PM)cow Wrote: Bertans was 27 last time he shot 40%.  Go take a peak at Peja's numbers when he was 27.

THANK YOU.  Good grief...do people even know their history anymore with respect to players?

This cat's probably going to try to tell me that Harold Miner was really as good as Jordan and Danny Ferry was Larry Bird with some stat twist.
Like Reply
The initial shock of the trade has worn off and I’m back in a happier place because of the DFS signing — well done Mavs!  Here’s a good case scenario.  These two players who are terrible this year were actually good two and three years ago.  Maybe Bertans gets his touch back and Dinwiddie comes back next year fully recovered from his injury. Maybe both these guys at least can eat up some minutes without hurting the team. Maybe Luka is happier without KP around. It’s not like KP makes one iota of difference to whether a Luka led Mavs team wins or loses. Maybe JB is an easier resign now that it’s clear he’s the number two on this team. Maybe breaking the KP contract in two does give he Mavs some additional trade options down the road. The Mavs are no worse off than yesterday, maybe they’re even in a slightly better position heading into this off-season. They have some clarity at least.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • hakeemfaan
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:27 PM)cow Wrote: Bertans was 27 last time he shot 40%.  Go take a peak at Peja's numbers when he was 27.

Bertans is not taking a 27-year old Peja role. He is taking a backup PF, about to retire Peja role. Why is that so hard to understand?
Like Reply
(02-10-2022, 06:32 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Bertans is not taking a 27-year old Peja role. He is taking a backup PF, about to retire Peja role. Why is that so hard to understand?

He's not a 27-year old Betrans shooting 40% or a 33-year old Peja shooting 40% either.  Why is that so hard to understand?
Like Reply