Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Carlisle
I'm just kidding, just wanted to be the first one on the new board to make the suggestion

But if the mavs somehow miss the playoffs again what are the odds carlisle is fired? I think the expectations are going to be a little higher this year.
"And Peja with the dagger."-balldontliez on 11/15/10 when Peja hit a 3 to put the hornets up 84-75 with 9 MIN LEFT!  Guess who won the game?  That's right, the mavericks." -msu15
Like Reply
[Image: giphy.gif]

It wouldn't be a true Maverick board if there wasn't at least 1 Fire Carlisle thread. Glad you could make the inaugural one.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
I think Carlisle is considered by Cuban to be like Donnie and Dirk as lifers...it would take a couple of horrible seasons or something happening that makes firing him the only choice possible...

He is still for now the only Coach I want to be running the Mavs...he will maximize the talents of Luka and KP and be able to punish them for not giving maximum effort which I don't think would happen...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Lol. Touche.

I also think that RC has great job security, bearing some great fallout. I think he will maximize the talent on the squad now.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 09:44 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I think Carlisle is considered by Cuban to be like Donnie and Dirk as lifers...it would take a couple of horrible seasons or something happening that makes firing him the only choice possible...

He is still for now the only Coach I want to be running the Mavs...he will maximize the talents of Luka and KP and be able to punish them for not giving maximum effort which I don't think would happen...

Well to try to play devil's advocate, if Carlisle turns in at least 2-3 underwhelming seasons with KP and Luka at the helm I can see him easily being fired. 

I think that duo should net 50 wins easy by year 2. If the Mavs aren't hitting that then Carlisle can (and should) be definitely looked at to be replaced. 

However, I doubt that'd happen because Carlisle is still a great coach, and with just Luka he managed to lead the Mavs to 33 wins. RC is apart of the Mavs triangle because he's great at what he does.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 10:31 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 09:44 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote: I think Carlisle is considered by Cuban to be like Donnie and Dirk as lifers...it would take a couple of horrible seasons or something happening that makes firing him the only choice possible...

Well to try to play devil's advocate, if Carlisle turns in at least 2-3 underwhelming seasons with KP and Luka at the helm I can see him easily being fired. 

I think that duo should net 50 wins easy by year 2. If the Mavs aren't hitting that then Carlisle can (and should) be definitely looked at to be replaced. 

However, I doubt that'd happen because Carlisle is still a great coach, and with just Luka he managed to lead the Mavs to 33 wins. RC is apart of the Mavs triangle because he's great at what he does.

Well. Focusing on the last part of your post. Last season they wanted to compete for play-offs but only managed 33 wins after giving up half way through the season. It could be argued that a team of Luka, DJ, Barnes, Wes and DSJ looks similarly good on paper compared to Luka, KP, Powell, Jackson and Wright. 

Not to mention absolutely same game plan regarding the starting line-up and rotation no matter who they were playing - speaking before the TDL trades when they were still trying to be competitive. It could be seen from space that some things just aren't clicking yet no changes were made as far as coaching is considered. It was driving me mad. I really hope this was solely out of need to showcase some players for trades and nothing more.

There should be no excuses this year. With the exception of devastating injuries, Play-offs are the goal. if we don't make it, responsibility should be taken. Either by persons responsible for team building (they failed to spend some 12 million on additional assets, not trading Lee so far,...) or by the coach. Or will you fans be again so easily convinced how a "33 win season" is actually a great acomplishment. Like this offseason was great accomplishment despite high flying announcements and goals set before the summer. I sure know I am not satisfied with the summer as I expected more and I will sure not be satisfied with anything less than playoffs.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 12:18 PM)omahen Wrote:

Well. Focusing on the last part of your post. Last season they wanted to compete for play-offs but only managed 33 wins after giving up half way through the season. It could be argued that a team of Luka, DJ, Barnes, Wes and DSJ looks similarly good on paper compared to Luka, KP, Powell, Jackson and Wright. 

Not to mention absolutely same game plan regarding the starting line-up and rotation no matter who they were playing - speaking before the TDL trades when they were still trying to be competitive. It could be seen from space that some things just aren't clicking yet no changes were made as far as coaching is considered. It was driving me mad. I really hope this was solely out of need to showcase some players for trades and nothing more.

There should be no excuses this year. With the exception of devastating injuries, Play-offs are the goal. if we don't make it, responsibility should be taken. Either by persons responsible for team building (they failed to spend some 12 million on additional assets, not trading Lee so far,...) or by the coach. Or will you fans be again so easily convinced how a "33 win season" is actually a great acomplishment. Like this offseason was great accomplishment despite high flying announcements and goals set before the summer. I sure know I am not satisfied with the summer as I expected more and I will sure not be satisfied with anything less than playoffs.

I had hope at the beginning of last season, and then Barnes, Wes and DJ were awful, and DSJ didn't take that step forward and then went AWOL. But there is no way that I buy that they looked "similarly good on paper". You said "it could be argued". I'd like to see your argument. 

2nd year Luka + KP gives us the hope of two legit stars. We had nothing close to that last season. And the depth this season blows last season out of the water.
Like Reply
When (if) it is really time to fire RC, there will be 5 or 6 threads going, along with 3 or 4 more of "I stand with Rick" threads.  

I think if Luka and KP demanded Tyrone Lue, Rick would be fired.  Cool
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 12:50 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 12:18 PM)omahen Wrote:

I had hope at the beginning of last season, and then Barnes, Wes and DJ were awful, and DSJ didn't take that step forward and then went AWOL. But there is no way that I buy that they looked "similarly good on paper". You said "it could be argued". I'd like to see your argument. 

2nd year Luka + KP gives us the hope of two legit stars. We had nothing close to that last season. And the depth this season blows last season out of the water.

I think it is simple:
go back to 2018: "Wow, our team looks super good. We have a center we always wanted in DJ, we got great rookie, DSJ will take another step forward, Barnes is a 20 per guy and Wes is a solid starter. Our bench is best in NBA" 
Enter 2019: "Wow, our team looks super good. We have a fringe all star Luka, we have KP who was a stud 17 months ago when he last played and we all believe he will only get better. We got Wright who is just waiting to explode at 27 year old. Jackson was a 15th pick and he will explode for sure. Powell will keep his amazing production from second half of last season. "

All hopes are build on expectations that everything will be great. In reality, we didn't add much besides KP. The team without 4 of last year starters didn't win a lot at all. So KP is not upgrading the beginning of the season team but end of the season one. If my count is correct the "after trade team" won just 10 games out of 32. 

Direct comparison (stats from last season when playing in Dallas, Wright in Memphis):
KP>Barnes - 22,7 points; 6,6 rebounds; 1,2 assists vs 17,7;4,2;1,3
Powell=DJ - 10,6; 5,3; 1,5 vs 11,0;13,7;2,0
JJ Wright=DSJ - 12,2; 5,4; 5,3 vs 14,7; 2,8; 5,4
Luka=Luka 

I don't think it is that much better on paper. Of course last year team didn't click and we have higher hope this year team would. But I thought that RC is a magician who makes everything work. Obviously he couldn't make that one. If we would be speaking only about potential as seen before last season, last team could be seen even much higher than this year team (if you go back to the point before season of 2018-2019). 

Team this year still considerably lacks shooting as only KP can be considered as reliable shooter in the starting five. If Wright, Powell and JJ (or THJ) fail to produce solid three point percentages, we will already have trouble. Not to mention injury risks. One considerable injury for a month or two for KP or Luka would probably end all of our playoff hopes.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 02:29 PM)omahen Wrote: I think it is simple:

go back to 2018: "Wow, our team looks super good. We have a center we always wanted in DJ, we got great rookie, DSJ will take another step forward, Barnes is a 20 per guy and Wes is a solid starter. Our bench is best in NBA" 
Enter 2019: "Wow, our team looks super good. We have a fringe all star Luka, we have KP who was a stud 17 months ago when he last played and we all believe he will only get better. We got Wright who is just waiting to explode at 27 year old. Jackson was a 15th pick and he will explode for sure. Powell will keep his amazing production from second half of last season. "

All hopes are build on expectations that everything will be great. In reality, we didn't add much besides KP. The team without 4 of last year starters didn't win a lot at all. So KP is not upgrading the beginning of the season team but end of the season one. If my count is correct the "after trade team" won just 10 games out of 32. 

Direct comparison (stats from last season when playing in Dallas, Wright in Memphis):
Luka=Luka 

I don't think it is that much better on paper. Of course last year team didn't click and we have higher hope this year team would. But I thought that RC is a magician who makes everything work. Obviously he couldn't make that one. If we would be speaking only about potential as seen before last season, last team could be seen even much higher than this year team (if you go back to the point before season of 2018-2019). 

Team this year still considerably lacks shooting as only KP can be considered as reliable shooter in the starting five. If Wright, Powell and JJ (or THJ) fail to produce solid three point percentages, we will already have trouble. Not to mention injury risks. One considerable injury for a month or two for KP or Luka would probably end all of our playoff hopes.

You first paragraph isn't a bad summary of what folks were saying at the beginning of the year, but just because you can type out summaries using similar language doesn't prove that the 2018 Mavs had anything brewing that can compare with 2nd year Luka + KP.  

Luka + KP is a franchise restart. 

And your greater than/less than chart with stats doesn't tell the story either. We have two legit stars with a good supporting cast. There is really no comparison. 

Re: "RC is a magician who makes everything work"

No one has ever said that. If someone said it now, they'd be wrong. RC is a great coach, but no coach (including Rick...or Pop) can make everything work. 

Re: "If we would be speaking only about potential as seen before last season, last team could be seen even much higher than this year team (if you go back to the point before season of 2018-2019)." 

You're just flat out delusional on that point. 

Re: Shooting

We don't know what the starting 5 will be, but KP, Luka, Seth, Jackson, Brunson can all shoot, DP from 2 is insane, and might be coming along from 3. We've improved our shooting for sure. 

I don't know that you'll find many takers on this theory that the promise before last season was equal to the promise before this season. 
Like Reply
I stand with Rick. 

I would also sit with Rick.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 04:58 PM)Mak Wrote: I stand with Rick. 

I would also sit with Rick.

https://gph.is/1LBDtDO
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 04:56 PM)fifteenth Wrote:

Luka=Luka 

You first paragraph isn't a bad summary of what folks were saying at the beginning of the year, but just because you can type out summaries using similar language doesn't prove that the 2018 Mavs had anything brewing that can compare with 2nd year Luka + KP.  

And your greater than/less than chart with stats doesn't tell the story either. We have two legit stars with a good supporting cast. There is really no comparison. 

No one has ever said that. If someone said it now, they'd be wrong. RC is a great coach, but no coach (including Rick...or Pop) can make everything work. 

Re: "If we would be speaking only about potential as seen before last season, last team could be seen even much higher than this year team (if you go back to the point before season of 2018-2019)." 

We don't know what the starting 5 will be, but KP, Luka, Seth, Jackson, Brunson can all shoot, DP from 2 is insane, and might be coming along from 3. We've improved our shooting for sure. 

I don't know that you'll find many takers on this theory that the promise before last season was equal to the promise before this season. 

Re: "good supporting cast".

Speaking of delusional... My biggest problem is the supporting cast. While we might have 13 great bench guys, we only have two legitimate starters. It would take two or three guys to really step up from their carreer bests. Hope they prove me wrong, but I am sceptical.

Re: "RC is a magician who makes everything work" No one has ever said that.

It is said all the time. Not using this words exactly, but with this meaning all the time. 

Jackson and Brunson were average shooters up to now. Luka was actually below average, but it has a lot to do with a number of difficult shots he takes. This only leaves KP, as I said. Seth will most likely come from bench and I wouldn't really expect him to drastically increase his last year production. Do you think Lillard and Mcculum can't create space for catch and shoot guys like Seth?

Re: DP from 2 is insane

DP is insane as a rim runner/finisher. Other than that, his shot is doubtful at best. He has 0 midrange game and shaky three pointer. Of course, if he could keep his spring 3 point percentage, he would be a great starter. At least on offensive end.

Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 05:18 PM)omahen Wrote:

Luka=Luka 

Speaking of delusional... My biggest problem is the supporting cast. While we might have 13 great bench guys, we only have two legitimate starters. It would take two or three guys to really step up from their carreer bests. Hope they prove me wrong, but I am sceptical.

It is said all the time. Not using this words exactly, but with this meaning all the time. 

Jackson and Brunson were average shooters up to now. Luka was actually below average, but it has a lot to do with a number of difficult shots he takes. This only leaves KP, as I said. Seth will most likely come from bench and I wouldn't really expect him to drastically increase his last year production. Do you think Lillard and Mcculum can't create space for catch and shoot guys like Seth?

DP is insane as a rim runner/finisher. Other than that, his shot is doubtful at best. He has 0 midrange game and shaky three pointer. Of course, if he could keep his spring 3 point percentage, he would be a great starter. At least on offensive end.

Of course we'll have to just wait and see on the shooting and supporting cast. 

But on the "Rick can make anything work" thing: If people really believed that it would be silly because no coach on planet earth is that good! But also because if we all really believed that then we'd all be on the "Fire Rick" bandwagon since the team has sucked for 3 years straight.
Like Reply
(09-19-2019, 05:24 PM)fifteenth Wrote:
(09-19-2019, 05:18 PM)omahen Wrote:

Luka=Luka 

Of course we'll have to just wait and see on the shooting and supporting cast. 

But on the "Rick can make anything work" thing: If people really believed that it would be silly because no coach on planet earth is that good! But also because if we all really believed that then we'd all be on the "Fire Rick" bandwagon since the team has sucked for 3 years straight.

Yeah, we will see. 

I only have 1 "beef" with RC. His inability (unwilingnes) to change anything in first half of last season while they were trying to compete. Night and night again same starting five, same rotations, same actions, all while it was clear the starting five was not working. I trully hope we will see more coaching this season.
Like Reply
We will see a lot of coaching this season in the area of finding rotations combinations that work. The starting 5 is not clear. We have at least 8 guys who we were considering for starting earlier this summer. Guys 3-11 will be in an absolute dog fight for minutes and roles. It will be very interesting to watch Rick go with groups for awhile and then reward guys who earn bigger roles with their play. The process might be a bit ugly but I am counting on our two future superstars to keep us competitive most every night. 

As for Rick, I hated even seeing this thread title, though it was a joke. Dodgy

I don't see any changes at the top nor do I want any. Let's keep the focus on our current guys until the trade deadline puts other options in play. There will be a great plenty of things to be interested in and discuss. 

Oh....I do want to see us put on a full out playoff run and I have a whole lot of anticipation but no certainty whatsoever.
Like Reply
Yup, RC has gotta go, we need to offer Kellen Moore the job immediately.
Like Reply
From an objective standpoint, very unlikely this season. He'd pretty much have to seriously clash with Luka or KP for that to have a chance.

If we somehow badly miss the playoffs and it's not an injury issue that might put him on the hot seat but not this season.
Like Reply
There's a < 5% chance Carlisle is fired.  And if he is, there will be about 15 NBA teams fighting to hire him.
(09-21-2019, 02:20 AM)MrGoat Wrote: From an objective standpoint, very unlikely this season. He'd pretty much have to seriously clash with Luka or KP for that to have a chance.

If we somehow badly miss the playoffs and it's not an injury issue that might put him on the hot seat but not this season.
I mean, I think all it'll take is 2 years of missing the playoffs with KP and Luka to get Carlisle fired, barring injuries. 

Given how the Celtics traded Rivers to the Clips, I wonder if the day would ever come that the Mavs would trade RC if he wasn't meeting expectations and what kind of hypothetical package they could get for him (especially considering diminished value due to missing the playoffs)

But even so I think it's a moot thought experience given that I think Carlisle is still really really good at his job, and that we're going to be right in the playoff hunt, even though his rotations make me want to pull my hair out.
Like Reply