Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of the Dirkie, etc.
Question 
I would like to get to the bottom of this and hear opinions and consolidate them into some way forward. So answer these questions for us, please:

1) Should we have one OR two "player of the game" awards? (like one "Batman" award and one "Robin" award or just one single "player of the game" award?)

2) Should we still have a "Dirkie" OR should we come up with a new title now? If we keep the "Dirkie" how exactly should it be defined NOW (let's not try to capture the past as there is debate over that)?
Like Reply
Should be just one person unless it is a draw. 
Window should be 24 hours after the game.
Like Reply
1.  One player
2. Dirkie.  Keep it simple. Don't define it beyond player you thought stepped up to help the mavs win the game.  Could be best player, could be key moment/contribution, could have been someone who didn't score a point but stuck it to the other team, could be RC for a key move or getting pissed and getting thrown out to rally the team... Non descript.  

3.  It isn't as important to me who gets voted - it is people's comments on WHY that I find interesting.
Like Reply
Keep the Dirkie and it should mean the player who had the biggest impact in winning the game.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 04:20 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: Should be just one person unless it is a draw.

No, no you are letting Mak's trolling get the best of you. 

I simply put the top two vote getters in the title, I was never declaring "two winners." 

And my question is this:

Magick, suggested two SEPARATE awards with different criteria: Do you like two separate awards or just one?
Like Reply
It should be one player, the Dirkie, and it should be the player most instrumental in the win, but with KP and especially Luka having an extremely heavy expectation handicap against them winning. If we're just going to vote for Luka to win every time, that breaks the Dirkie, and I would rather have a "Robin" award, although, again, if we're just voting for raw value, it ought to be profoundly worrisome for all of us as Mavs fans if any player not named Kristaps won for any game in which he played. Look at what we're paying the guy.

I'm processing out loud here. Basically, keep it the Dirkie, with massive handicaps in our minds against Luka and (to a lesser extent) KP winning, or alternatively institute a "third man" award for the best contribution outside of those  two to the win.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 04:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Basically, keep it the Dirkie, with massive handicaps in our minds against Luka and (to a lesser extent) KP winning, or alternatively institute a "third man" award for the best contribution outside of those  two to the win.

This is my thought exactly as well.
Like Reply
Call it the Dirkie.

It's the player of the game, which folks may define differently, but I like how Kam has been defining it.
Like Reply
We don't need to make another award just because people get bored of voting for Luka and want to recognize someone else sometimes. In 15 years maybe we can talk about re-naming it the Lukie, I think it's fine as it is and always has been.

I would define it as most outstanding performance of the game. I try and pick the player who exceeded expectations the most or impacted the game in a big way when things were in the balance, but I actually like that it's subjective and people can use whatever criteria they want. I would like to see more bit nominations like nominate a ref if they blow a call in our favor at the end or nominate a local restaurant if someone on the other team gets sick.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 04:31 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Basically, keep it the Dirkie, with massive handicaps in our minds against Luka and (to a lesser extent) KP winning

This. 

Luka is entirely capable of putting up 25/8/8 or something along those lines and we pretty much expect it now.  

While Maxi may be capable of blocking 6 shots, or THJ is capable of scoring 15+ efficiently, etc...I don't expect those things on a given night so performances like that are more likely to get my vote.  

I do like that the award is subjective though and the discussion is the best part. I'm guilty of not always doing this, but I think we should highly encourage people to post how they voted and why.
Like Reply
There should be only one Dirkie for each game. (Named, of course, for our historically significant .....whatzisname?). Smile The criteria should be whatever the poster wants it to be ... he/she can explain it in the comments.
Like Reply
I usually vote for the non Luka best player.  Even if folks vote for Luka, the 2nd best or Dirkie fellow is probably obvious.
Like Reply
Luka would win the Dirkie most nights, he is just exceptional.

The Dirkie or whatever we call it from now should be not who is the best, but who we thought was the X-Factor.

Maybe we can name it like that as well.
Like Reply