Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The big test is around the corner
The Mavericks have begun the season at 6-3, with games against Washington, New Orleans, Portland, Denver, Los Angeles (Lakers), Cleveland, Orlando, New York (Knicks) and Memphis and a huge test on the road against the Celtics tonight. Three of these teams are projected playoff teams while the rest will be positioning for the draft come February. The team sits at 7th in the West and first in the Southwest having played the 29th easiest schedule in the league--as measured by teamrankings.com. The remaining schedule is ranked as 6th. 

Now the team with get a bit of a reprieve for the nest 2 weeks, but then is gets dicey. We have games at Boston, at the Knicks and home versus Toronto, San Antonio, Golden State and Cleveland. I'm expecting a close game with Boston despite the line and with Hayward out, it gives Dallas one less issue to worry about. Toronto beat Dallas twice last year with big games from Lowery and Leonard. Without those two it will still provide a stiff test but it's at home and I have serious doubts betting against the Mavericks in this one. The remainder of the home stand could be a sweep but The spurs will always prove difficult. 

This is where things take a very drastic turn. The next 18 games will test the strength of this team; it's bench, star power and ability to compete against the best of the best. 15 of the next 18 opponents are serious playoff contenders, will include 3 back to backs, one 4 game in 6 nights stretch, games against at Houston, Los Angeles (Clippers), at Phoenix, at Los Angeles (Lakers), at New Orleans, Minnesota, New Orleans, Sacramento, Detroit, Miami, at Milwaukee, Boston, at Philadelphia, at Toronto, San Antonio, at Golden State, at Los Angeles (Lakers) then finally at Oklahoma. 

if they make it out of that stretch, we'll know a lot about how the rest of the season will go. I have them winning 12 out of that 18, with a low end estimate of 10 wins. That puts them at 16-11 and more than likely on the outskirts of the top 8. By then they will have a nice break, for a week or so but January is also as brutal. Suffice to say, first 9 games have been a revelation and to be 6-3 and a great start comparatively speaking. 8-1 would have been better all things considered but it's nice to enjoy this while it lasts.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 09:51 AM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: The Mavericks have begun the season at 6-3, with games against Washington, New Orleans, Portland, Denver, Los Angeles (Lakers), Cleveland, Orlando, New York (Knicks) and Memphis and a huge test on the road against the Celtics tonight. Three of these teams are projected playoff teams while the rest will be positioning for the draft come February. The team sits at 7th in the West and first in the Southwest having played the 29th easiest schedule in the league--as measured by teamrankings.com. The remaining schedule is ranked as 6th. 

Now the team with get a bit of a reprieve for the nest 2 weeks, but then is gets dicey. We have games at Boston, at the Knicks and home versus Toronto, San Antonio, Golden State and Cleveland. I'm expecting a close game with Boston despite the line and with Hayward out, it gives Dallas one less issue to worry about. Toronto beat Dallas twice last year with big games from Lowery and Leonard. Without those two it will still provide a stiff test but it's at home and I have serious doubts betting against the Mavericks in this one. The remainder of the home stand could be a sweep but The spurs will always prove difficult. 

This is where things take a very drastic turn. The next 18 games will test the strength of this team; it's bench, star power and ability to compete against the best of the best. 15 of the next 18 opponents are serious playoff contenders, will include 3 back to backs, one 4 game in 6 nights stretch, games against at Houston, Los Angeles (Clippers), at Phoenix, at Los Angeles (Lakers), at New Orleans, Minnesota, New Orleans, Sacramento, Detroit, Miami, at Milwaukee, Boston, at Philadelphia, at Toronto, San Antonio, at Golden State, at Los Angeles (Lakers) then finally at Oklahoma. 

if they make it out of that stretch, we'll know a lot about how the rest of the season will go. I have them winning 12 out of that 18, with a low end estimate of 10 wins. That puts them at 16-11 and more than likely on the outskirts of the top 8. By then they will have a nice break, for a week or so but January is also as brutal. Suffice to say, first 9 games have been a revelation and to be 6-3 and a great start comparatively speaking. 8-1 would have been better all things considered but it's nice to enjoy this while it lasts.
I think we are seeing the effect of the talent dispersal from last season. There are no superteams. There are teams with 2 stars, teams with one star and a bunch of no-star teams. As a result, the Mavs should be competitive in any contest. 2 losses were referee related decisions (or lack thereof)). NYK played their best game of the season, probably to show off against KP, but reverted to form against CLE last night. Morris/Ntilikina went 15/34 (8/13 3pt) for 43 pts on Friday and 4/16 (0/7) for 13 pts last night.

I guess I'm saying that the Mavs have enough talent to compete with anybody and I now watch the games with the hope (and some expectation) of a win, where the last two years I watched just hoping they didn't embarrass themselves. There will be some excruciating losses and disappointments, but if we can keep everyone healthy, then I think it gets a lot more interesting next spring.
Like Reply
The mavericks record is nice.  But...at least one of the losses is concerning.  I'm hopeful though...
Like Reply