Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 3.5 pt RAPTOR & 2.5 pt Vegas favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
83.33%
5 83.33%
Nuggets
16.67%
1 16.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 37: DEN (18-17) vs DAL (19-18) | 103-89
All of this is happening because of the spacing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Bullock finding his rhythm. Luka with one of the best 6/17 FG games that I have ever seen.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 10:47 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: All of this is happening because of the spacing.

I've seen Luka jack more shots with good spacing.....spacing is SOME of it, but Luka is not shot-hunting either (for the most part).
Like Reply
I fully admit that KP has looked better this year than I thought he ever would look again. But I am going to double down on my take that the team is literally better without him.

Ironically, I think the defense is better with him, and that is what I was most worried about all of last year.

(01-03-2022, 10:48 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I've seen Luka jack more shots with good spacing.....spacing is SOME of it, but Luka is not shot-hunting either (for the most part).

Oh, sure. He still has to make the right pass at the right time on target. But it was literally Bullock’s man who came to double him. Luka doesn’t miss that pass very often..

Really happy to see Bullock finding his rhythm. That should help CREATE some space in the future.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth, omahen
Like Reply
I guess we can put the “Ntilikina isn’t playing because of the injury” theory to rest.
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 10:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I guess we can put the “Ntilikina isn’t playing because of the injury” theory to rest.

My hopeful speculation is that the Mavs are going to make a trade (or two) coming up and they are playing the guys they are going to trade and FN will get a rotation spot afterward. Otherwise it is frustrating.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
That is more like it.  Fun.  Felt like the Mavs should have scored more but the passing and pace was good.   Luka fabulous.

Obviously not the best game by the Nuggets and a testament they were in it late with a rough game and injuries.  Mavs deserve some credit for their sloppiness though.  Jokic is a joy to watch  His touch inside is ridiculous.  What I would do to put that touch and body control on KP.  

Tough that Luka's countryman went down.  That looked bad.  I always think Achilles when that happens.  I hope not.   

Fun seeing Popeye again.  Good for him for keeping the grind going, just like a player.  One of my favorite players back in the day for a few seasons.  He has put on some weight though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • ReunionMav
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 10:56 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: What I would do to put that touch and body control on KP.
and passing but yeah.
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 10:48 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I fully admit that KP has looked better this year than I thought he ever would look again. But I am going to double down on my take that the team is literally better without him.

Ironically, I think the defense is better with him, and that is what I was most worried about all of last year.

Oh, sure. He still has to make the right pass at the right time on target. But it was literally Bullock’s man who came to double him. Luka doesn’t miss that pass very often..

Really happy to see Bullock finding his rhythm. That should help CREATE some space in the future.

They are not better without KP.  They are better when they don't do stupid stuff to cater to KP.  If they really want to "protect" KP then they should:

Spend 15 minutes a game with KP and a rim running center.  For these minutes KP needs to be a spacer (like the offense 2 years ago).

Spend another 10 to 15 minutes where Luka is off the court and the offense is centered around Brunson and KP doing whatever he wants (like the previous 10 games).

Spend the closing 5-8 minutes with KP as lone center playing P&R and P&P with Luka.
[-] The following 7 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ClutchDirk, fifteenth, Hypermav, KillerLeft, mavsluvr, michaeltex, ReunionMav
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 10:56 PM)Kammrath Wrote: My hopeful speculation is that the Mavs are going to make a trade (or two) coming up and they are playing the guys they are going to trade and FN will get a rotation spot afterward. Otherwise it is frustrating.

I’d say that speculation is very likely to be the case, though I don’t know that it is a guarantee that the French Prince will be here when the dust clears. He probably will be, don’t get me wrong. 

I just think they have a ton of those 2-3 types, and all of them have alluring strengths (when playing well). The fact that Kidd hasn’t simply picked his favorites and committed to them is very Carlisle, and exactly the type of thing that people used to bitch and moan about around here constantly. I think he is simply experimenting and tinkering.

Kind of feels like Josh Green and Ntilikina are fighting for the same spot right now, doesn’t it?

(01-03-2022, 11:00 PM)mvossman Wrote: They are not better without KP.  They are better when they don't do stupid stuff to cater to KP. 

I totally agree with this. It’s just that I have given up on the idea that he will adjust to them. That was sort of built into my take.
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 11:00 PM)mvossman Wrote: Spend 15 minutes a game with KP and a rim running center.  For these minutes KP needs to be a spacer (like the offense 2 years ago).

Spend another 10 to 15 minutes where Luka is off the court and the offense is centered around Brunson and KP doing whatever he wants (like the previous 10 games).

Spend the closing 5-8 minutes with KP as lone center playing P&R and P&P with Luka.

I would effing love this approach. 

Why, in your opinion, has this approach not been adopted to this point? Is it because the coaching staff doesn’t see it this way, because Porzingis won’t do it…why? 

The thing that he has absolutely shown no willingness to do (this season) is the first one, and to me it’s the main culprit behind the slow starts and a lot of Luka’s struggles. When they started the season, I thought there was just some confusion on the court. As the first quarter approach has gone on and on, I pretty much decided that their offensive approach is just bad.
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 11:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I totally agree with this. It’s just that I have given up on the idea that he will adjust to them. That was sort of built into my take.

This is such a weird season as we are about to go another 5+ games without Luka and KP on the court together.  If Luka looks like his old self during this 5 games stretch (like he did tonight) it will be more clear that what they are doing to accommodate KP is hurting Luka's game.  Then the trick will be if Kidd can figure out a way to make both comfortable on the court.  If not, KP obviously has to go.  Its going to be tough to make that decision before the trade deadline with KP missing the next several games.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 11:15 PM)mvossman Wrote: This is such a weird season as we are about to go another 5+ games without Luka and KP on the court together.  If Luka looks like his old self during this 5 games stretch (like he did tonight) it will be more clear that what they are doing to accommodate KP is hurting Luka's game.  Then the trick will be if Kidd can figure out a way to make both comfortable on the court.  If not, KP obviously has to go.  Its going to be tough to make that decision before the trade deadline with KP missing the next several games.

I am in complete lockstep with you on this stuff. I cannot wait to monitor this and discuss.
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/status/1...3900996609
[-] The following 3 users Like Tyler's post:
  • BasketballJones41, fifteenth, Hypermav
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 11:15 PM)mvossman Wrote: Then the trick will be if Kidd can figure out a way to make both comfortable on the court.

I am no RC apologist, but if RC cannot make them comfortable together then I don't think Kidd can. My war cry for the last year plus: TRADE KP.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 11:35 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I am no RC apologist, but if RC cannot make them comfortable together then I don't think Kidd can. My war cry for the last year plus: TRADE KP.

I fear that you are correct.  It would have made way more sense to trade KP last offseason when we had the cap space to address the gaping hole that will cause in the frontcourt, but on the other hand his value has to be much higher right now than it was at the end of last season.
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 11:44 PM)mvossman Wrote: his value has to be much higher right now than it was at the end of last season.

I do think it is. I really, really, really, really, really, really, no seriously really hope they trade him this TDL. They have done an EXCELLENT job rehabbing his image and play (the single most successful accomplishment in this ugly season) and they need to PULL. THE. TRIGGER.
[-] The following 5 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • ballsrchr, fifteenth, KillerLeft, michaeltex, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I certainly understand the trade KP sentiment. Many of you believe the problems you describe are not fixable. If the Mavs agree or come to agree soon then the hunt for an acceptable trade has almost certainly begun. That doesn’t mean one will happen. 
I agree a more effective KP on defense and to a lesser degree on offense is good for us trade or no trade. I do not agree that Luka and KP won’t figure it out. I think they will and I think we are close to seeing it happen. I think Luka watching for an extended period is going to help. I also think KP watching for a few games will help this time precisely because he gets to feel better about his game and his perception around the league and will be better prepared to understand how he can best fit. 
I too like the minutes breakdown ideas above…. A lot!  I just think Kidd’s guys will figure it out for themselves… and then prove it in the playoffs.
Like Reply
(01-03-2022, 10:56 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: That is more like it.  Fun.  Felt like the Mavs should have scored more but the passing and pace was good.   Luka fabulous.

Obviously not the best game by the Nuggets and a testament they were in it late with a rough game and injuries.  Mavs deserve some credit for their sloppiness though.  Jokic is a joy to watch  His touch inside is ridiculous.  What I would do to put that touch and body control on KP.  

Tough that Luka's countryman went down.  That looked bad.  I always think Achilles when that happens.  I hope not.   

Fun seeing Popeye again.  Good for him for keeping the grind going, just like a player.  One of my favorite players back in the day for a few seasons.  He has put on some weight though.
That looked like a foot injury with Concar, maybe a fracture. Hopefully not, but given how minimal the twist was on his foot, I would have a hard time believing it was just a sprain based on his inability to bear weight on the foot. 

Other than that a great night! More than anything happy to see RB knock down shots.
Like Reply
It is a shame the bad luck Denver has had.    Jokic is so good.   To me, Aaron Gordon is always a guy who looks better when you watch him from a distance, but last night I thought he appears to have grown his game some.   If you added a healthy Jamal Murray and an ascending Porter Jr, that team is right with the best in league.   Now, they are probably going to be scraping to stay out of the play in game.

I liked what I saw from their rookie Hyland too.   Still raw, but he has some stuff to his game.  I believe Jalen has typically played well against Facundo but he caused Jalen fits.   Jalen had trouble shaking him last night.  Both are pest though.   Jalen on charges and Facundo just doing stuff.
Like Reply