Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We need a bruiser!
Wright
Luka
JJ or DFS or even Kleber?
KP
Boban

There is the championship team. It has all the defense and all the offense. Luka and Boban are unstoppable on pick and roll. Boban and KP are dominating inside presence, most teams would never even think going to the paint. Wright fighting through screens is a thing of beauty as someone lately mentioned it here. Luka is by no means a bad defender. We just need to get Seth and Powell out of starting lineup as they are huge liability defensively. Kleber is at probably our second best player at the moment, he could also start instead of Boban (or instead of KP until he steps his play up, last game was unacceptable performance).
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 03:23 PM)burekemde Wrote: Wright
Luka
KP
Boban

There is the championship team. It has all the defense and all the offense. Luka and Boban are unstoppable on pick and roll. Boban and KP are dominating inside presence, most teams would never even think going to the paint. Wright fighting through screens is a thing of beauty as someone lately mentioned it here. Luka is by no means a bad defender. We just need to get Seth and Powell out of starting lineup as they are huge liability defensively. Kleber is at probably our second best player at the moment, he could also start instead of Boban (or instead of KP until he steps his play up, last game was unacceptable performance).

Nice lineup.  Boban's never really a long term starter because of defensive concerns evidently so its probably never going to happen, but this rotation definitely work for size and versatility on offense.  
On defense I'm thinking the 5 out and 4 out offenses used to day with 3 point shooters spread out around the perimeter would be the problem. 

This we probably won't see starting but the Luka+KP+Boban trio in a rotation I'd like to see used a lot more when the team is struggling to hold on to a lead and just a baskets on offense are desperately needed.   Boban inside, KP outside and Luka in control.  That's a load for any defense to keep from getting a few baskets at least. 

If you're trying to get enough stops to make a comeback that's different but if you're struggling to get a few baskets and especially if you're holding on to a lead any Maverick rotation with that anchor is wicked hard to control.
Like Reply
(11-14-2019, 07:36 PM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(11-12-2019, 03:23 PM)burekemde Wrote: Wright
Luka
KP
Boban

Nice lineup.  Boban's never really a long term starter because of defensive concerns evidently so its probably never going to happen, but this rotation definitely work for size and versatility on offense.  
On defense I'm thinking the 5 out and 4 out offenses used to day with 3 point shooters spread out around the perimeter would be the problem. 

This we probably won't see starting but the Luka+KP+Boban trio in a rotation I'd like to see used a lot more when the team is struggling to hold on to a lead and just a baskets on offense are desperately needed.   Boban inside, KP outside and Luka in control.  That's a load for any defense to keep from getting a few baskets at least. 

If you're trying to get enough stops to make a comeback that's different but if you're struggling to get a few baskets and especially if you're holding on to a lead any Maverick rotation with that anchor is wicked hard to control.

Well we didn't really get to see the Luka/KP/Boban trio go to work against the Knicks but did see Rick Carlisle use Boban in some key stretches of the game.  Big Tex didn't get to play much off of Luka in his minutes though as Carlisle instead elected to use him to hold down the scoring fort it appears while both Luka and KP sat.  
Boban's rotation left the floor for Luka to come back in and close with the Mavs up by 1 point despite a bad charge call on the Big man for simple turning and pivoting to shoot the ball in the post.  It was a nice flop for the Knicks who really didn't have anyone capable of guarding Boban inside. 

Marjanovic  in just 14 Minutes  had 10 points on 4/7 shooting and 2/2 from the line and 5 rebounds.  
Wasn't even great by his standards but was still good, helped the Mavs, left them a lead and had Shaq and the TNT guys giving him props on the show. 

I give Carlisle props for using Boban this time against the Knicks where he didn't the first time.  It helped make for a much closer and winnable performance against the Knicks but it still also seemed that he could have done better.  Dallas had a lot of misses on a poor % that went up from 3 point land.  With some more efficient inside outside attempts to pound New York inside the Mavs could easily have resulted in a better Mavs offense.

Would have rather seen Luka/Boban minutes in putting the big baskets together to close the Knicks game out with efficient offense since the Mavs had a 1 point lead with Marjonovic's rotation in the 4th.  Brunson does a decent job and fed the post a some but the Luka drive as Bobi rolls with 3 point shooter on the perimeter is extreme pressure for the opponent's defense.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 06:56 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Would have rather seen Luka/Boban minutes in putting the big baskets together to close the Knicks game out with efficient offense since the Mavs had a 1 point lead with Marjonovic's rotation in the 4th.  Brunson does a decent job and fed the post a some but the Luka drive as Bobi rolls with 3 point shooter on the perimeter is extreme pressure for the opponent's defense.

It would be nice to use Boban in key moments, he is super effective, we look as different team when he is on the floor. Luka, Boban, Wright, Kleber and JJ to me are by far our most effective players. The rest swings game to game.

I also would like to see us use Boban more in the high post to help initiate build up the plays. Due to his height but also his frame, he is really easy to get the basket to which really helps in ball movement and penetration eventually. He is underrated passer and shooter as well. KP doesnt hold his ground as well as Boban and struggles to get the ball in high post despite his height. Thats not the case with Boban you can get it to him almost every time, and this is a nice way to initiate the offense and confuse the defensive schemes.

I would love to see us start Boban to get early leads. Rest him 2 and 3 quarters, and bring in 4th to either protect the lead and to close the game.
Like Reply
(11-15-2019, 05:25 PM)balldontliez Wrote: ok, i will tell it. kp is soft. that fake vs morris last night with the game on the line gave me second hand embarrassment.

would love to have 2011 d-steve and tyson on this team. even salah to stir things up a bit. teams are punking us physically.

If we're going to talk real...the refs called that a charge ALL NIGHT...except that one play.  I'm not putting that on KP.  I'd rather him have played him straight up, but if the refs were fair and consistent, that would have been a whistle and head the other way...

But...we are in the NBA...so that's what there is.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
Bump: Clippers game more or less confirmed it.

They have yet to prove otherwise.
Like Reply
What the Mavs need most is a guy like Finney-Smith to become a consistent baller. They need a wing in the starting lineup that can do the dirty work. The perfect guy would by Iggy. I've been seeing rumors that the Mavs are considering trading for him from Memphis. A younger version of him is really what they need to put out on the wing.
Like Reply
(11-27-2019, 03:41 PM)audiosway Wrote: What the Mavs need most is a guy like Finney-Smith to become a consistent baller. They need a wing in the starting lineup that can do the dirty work. The perfect guy would by Iggy. I've been seeing rumors that the Mavs are considering trading for him from Memphis. A younger version of him is really what they need to put out on the wing.

I feel that the team overall hustles a lot. It's more they can't bully and hold position.

If brunson had Powell's frame he would be downright nasty, he has that dog mentality.
Like Reply
Adding Iggy and Steven Adams would add some grunt to the starting lineup
Luka
DFS (or Curry if more shooting is needed)
Iggy
KP
Adams

Adams sets mad screens and has a lot of experience blocking out so the PG can rebound hunt for triple doubles Smile
Like Reply
A bruiser would be nice. Reminding KP that he is lno longer a scrawny twig and can start to play tougher like Giannis has would instantly change our overall soft look. I'd love guys like Powell to play as big as he looks and less soft. DFS should have some more edge to him than he does. All these things would help for sure.

Lets keep this in mind though. We missed like 12 easy layups in the last 7 minutes of the 3rd quarter alone. If we had just made those we would have won the game not to mention the rest of the easy buckets right by the rim we missed all game. We also get whistle whipped by the refs outside of Luka getting a fair amount of calls. There is one other big factor to why we lost, The Clippers are probably the best team in the league so there is that lol...

I want us to win as much as anyone but saying we need a bruiser and using the Clipper game as to why didn't move the needle any further for me that it already was. We definitely need some more edge to our team weather we get that from our guys and build the culture or we pick up a player or 2.
Like Reply
I don't think its just the Clipper game. Being out bullied on the inside has been a problem all season. It was just more obvious in the Clipper game. Mainly because this had a playoff type intensity to it. This is who we would have to face in the playoffs. With this current group, the results would not be in our favor. We need to add some muscle on the inside or this season is going to be all about development and that's it.

Really I think the two losses to New York exposed this issue. The Knicks have 4 guys who are each tougher than our whole team put together. Randle, Portis, Morris, Gibson. They punked us. They out muscled us.

Our team is full of nice guys. No edge.  Just like the Mavs teams before Stevenson and Chandler.  This current core with Luka and KP will have to be surrounded with a few junkyard dog types before they can go to the next level.  Euros will always (unfairly) get a soft label in the NBA, and will need to be surrounded by guys the other teams don't want to mess with.  I mentioned Portis. He almost killed Mirotic, his own teammate. During a practice.  He punked Luka in that 2nd game against the Knicks. We need a a few guys like that on our side.
Like Reply
(11-28-2019, 09:47 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: I don't think its just the Clipper game. Being out bullied on the inside has been a problem all season. It was just more obvious in the Clipper game. Mainly because this had a playoff type intensity to it. This is who we would have to face in the playoffs. With this current group, the results would not be in our favor. We need to add some muscle on the inside or this season is going to be all about development and that's it.

Really I think the two losses to New York exposed this issue. The Knicks have 4 guys who are each tougher than our whole team put together. Randle, Portis, Morris, Gibson. They punked us. They out muscled us.

Our team is full of nice guys. No edge.  Just like the Mavs teams before Stevenson and Chandler.  This current core with Luka and KP will have to be surrounded with a few junkyard dog types before they can go to the next level.  Euros will always (unfairly) get a soft label in the NBA, and will need to be surrounded by guys the other teams don't want to mess with.  I mentioned Portis. He almost killed Mirotic, his own teammate. During a practice.  He punked Luka in that 2nd game against the Knicks. We need a a few guys like that on our side.

Good observations. 

Problem is this isn't the Carlisle/Mavs style of player for the most part.  Dallas doesn't see that type of player and doesn't really make high use of the one's they get that are even close to that, especially on the front line.

That's mostly why Dallas doesn't have them.   Boban, a gentle giant but still at least a giant, gets used sparingly and when he's in the game they don't really shove him down the opponents throat inside repeatedly.  They mostly seem to run their normal offense so the opponent doesn't get pounded inside or get into heavy foul trouble except from Luka bring it to the rim consistently.  
Of course the Clippers and top defensive teams just rough Luka up, something that is harder to do with a Boban or some other beefy tough Maverick which the roster doesn't really have.
Like Reply
Most traditional NBA 12-man teams were composed of:
1) 5 players who were "bigs (centers and/or power forwards),"
2) 2 players who were rangy wings (one to start at the three and another to come off the bench), and
3) 5 guards (a starting PG, a starting SG, and three guards off the bench).

Of course, in the Golden State five-out era, you play one big, if that. The Mavs seem to have taken that approach, on a certain level. Yeah, they start KP and (ugh!) Powell, or sometimes KP and Maxi, but they handled their offseason in such a way as to only have four true "bigs" on the entire 17-man (including two-ways) roster - KP, Powell, and Maxi, with Boban as a frequent DNP, situational guy. They view the undersized/underpowered DFS as a frequent power forward, or even treating Luka as the power forward. 

Once again, not 4 out of 12! 4 out of 17! Does any other roster in the entire NBA look like that?

Thing is, to make things worse, the Golden State/Draymond-as-five era is ending. KP, Maxi, Douche Pouch (I mean, Diamond Powell), and situational Bobi are far from enough. 

I will issue the "edict" right now - if the Mavs do not acquire a fifth big by the TDL, then this team will not win a playoff series. Get that weak ish outta here.
Like Reply
We don't need necessarily a big, we need somebody who is wide, strong, and nasty. 
Like Reply
(11-29-2019, 06:41 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
We don't need necessarily a big, we need somebody who is wide, strong, and nasty. 

Doesn't wide, strong and nasty usually come from a big though?   

Guards like Patrick Beverly can certainly play nasty but not so wide and strong.  
Marcus Smart might be about as close as I can think of coming from the back court rather than the front court.
Like Reply
(11-29-2019, 06:07 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Doesn't wide, strong and nasty usually come from a big though?   
Pretty much, not sure what SPM had in mind when he typed it. We need someone to contain the big bodies that push us around in the paint. Powell, Maxi and KP are not those guys try as they may.
Like Reply
(11-29-2019, 06:58 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-29-2019, 06:07 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Doesn't wide, strong and nasty usually come from a big though?   
Pretty much, not sure what SPM had in mind when he typed it. We need someone to contain the big bodies that push us around in the paint. Powell, Maxi and KP are not those guys try as they may.

Physical players. Boban isn't a bruiser and he is tall.

Lots of 6.6. , 6.7 guys who are bruisers.

Guys that can bang, I don't consider these necessarily to be big men.
Like Reply

Mavs miss the mentality that a player like Smart, Beverley or Draymond brings. The Mavs don´t have a bad guy. Beloved by the home fans...hated by the opponent.
Playing physical on both ends. Willing to do everything to win. Hard fouls, trash talk or dirty tricks.
Like Reply
(11-29-2019, 07:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

Mavs miss the mentality that a player like Smart, Beverley or Draymond brings. The Mavs don´t have a bad guy. Beloved by the home fans...hated by the opponent.
Playing physical on both ends. Willing to do everything to win. Hard fouls, trash talk or dirty tricks.

Yep that too DeShawn Stevenson, Steven Adams, DeJuan Blair, Markus Smart, Grayson Allen, Metta World Piece, Zach Randolph, Blake Griffin

Barea is the only tough/nasty player on the team.

Curry and Brunson have a dog in them as well.

Rest is super soft.

Luka is physical in some senses.

Powell is like Charmin.

Boban really is BFG

Jackson is soft, Accountant is soft, Lee is soft, wright is average, Maxi is average, Kristaps is soft,

We have hustlers but we lack nasty and strength/powerbully
Like Reply
(11-29-2019, 07:17 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote:
(11-29-2019, 07:14 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote:

Yep that too DeShawn Stevenson, Steven Adams, DeJuan Blair, Markus Smart, Grayson Allen, Metta World Piece, Zach Randolph, Blake Griffin

Barea is the only tough/nasty player on the team.

Curry and Brunson have a dog in them as well.

Rest is super soft.

Luka is physical in some senses.

Powell is like Charmin.

Boban really is BFG

Jackson is soft, Accountant is soft, Lee is soft, wright is average, Maxi is average, Kristaps is soft,

We have hustlers but we lack nasty and strength/powerbully

Agree. I don´t want the Mavs to play super dirty but some toughness and veteran leadership would help. It starts with small things. For example...
- Opponent is running the fastbreak and has numbers. Whoever is closest to the ballhandler should foul ASAP.
- Mismatch in the post. Mavs guard vs opposing big. Best solution is a hard foul before the big can establish position
- A player like Harden is driving to the rim and tries to draw fouls. Hard foul again. Make him earn the FTs. The refs will blow the whistle anyway.
- Avoid and 1s . Make sure that a fouled player cannot finish the layup/dunk/jumper.

Some of the mentioned options obviously aren´t available all the time. Team foul limit or individual foul trouble need to be considered.
I certainly don´t want KP or Luka picking up cheap foul calls. But considering that depth is probably the Mavs biggest strength I don´t see a reason why the same applies for players that are easily replaceable. Would it really be a problem for the Mavs if Curry, Brunson or Wright are in foul trouble?
Like Reply