Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 4.5 pt favs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
55.56%
5 55.56%
Grizzlies
44.44%
4 44.44%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 9: DAL (6-3) @ MEM (2-7) | 138-122 win | Mavs NBA best 4-0 on road
(11-09-2019, 10:36 PM)j0Shi Wrote:
  • We haven't seen a lot of Justin Jackson this season, but are we sure he's not one of our better three point shooters? That and his nice floater game makes me think he deserves a little more burn.
50/43/88 over the season. Great jumper, floater is money, and his combination of length and mobility should allow him to be decent on defense. He can't be worse on defense compared to THJ.

His role should certainly expand.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/FOXSportsSW/status/1...4986291200

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsSW/status/1...9814473729

https://twitter.com/bobbykaralla/status/...9520464896

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1193365570911121408

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1193385989852581894
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 10:33 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote:
(11-09-2019, 10:29 PM)Branduil Wrote: Curry
Luka
DFS
Maxi
KP

Should be the starting lineup from now on IMO.
I think that would be best with the current roster. More consistent rotations would be very nice. A regular starting lineup would go a long way towards that.
Jackson is better than DFS  at SF and should start DFS is struggling guarding SF.

(11-09-2019, 10:15 PM)TheSportyChannel Wrote: Justin Jackson is the perfect nba player if he could get a consistent shot. Has the length to play good defense and nice offensive floaters. Great game by him

He has a constient shot he just need constient minutes 24 to 32 a night every night he will becoming third option.

He moves without the ball better than any Mav.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 11:19 PM)sefant Wrote:
  • We haven't seen a lot of Justin Jackson this season, but are we sure he's not one of our better three point shooters? That and his nice floater game makes me think he deserves a little more burn.
50/43/88 over the season. Great jumper, floater is money, and his combination of length and mobility should allow him to be decent on defense. He can't be worse on defense compared to THJ.

I don't really get why Justin isn't getting more minutes. Of our top 10 guys (not including Bobi, who sits at 11 per), he is the lowest per game by a good margin. If there's any intelligence behind that decision (shut up, Sporty and Barlettbear), then it's probably that RC thinks that he would be exposed, especially on defense, at equal minutes to the rest of our non-Luka/KP mob. But what I think is that he would "expose" that THJ isn't as good as he is.
Like Reply
I genuinely believe that Jackson will be/should be our 3rd best player by season's end. As many have mentioned, he moves really well off the ball. He doesn't demand the ball and can make his presence known with limited touches. He was on fire for the last chunk of last season when he was thrown in the starting lineup shortly after getting traded here. He's one of those guys where I think he can give you a good 12-18 points on limited shots, he's versatile enough on the offensive end for that. His offense is very smooth and he's a really smart offensive player. He remains in the flow of the offense unlike THJ, and he gives you more than you get with DFS. I like when he brings the ball up as well. His size and length can allow him to compete every night defensively (though he may get pushed around a little by the bigger SFs). With some work on the defensive end, I think Jackson can be a starter on many playoff teams. 

I want to believe the reason that we haven't seen much Jackson so far into the season is that Rick wants to keep some surprises up his sleeve for later on. Come game 40/50, our rotation guys will be pretty fleshed out and their rolls will be clear to competing teams. Our guys will be easier to game plan for since most of our guys have a pretty defined role and a specific skill-set. Jackson gives this team a different dimension and he is a bit of a swiss army knife on offense. He makes it more difficult for opposing teams to game plan against us. With DFS, if you take away his 3s, he's pretty limited on offense, if THJ's shots aren't falling (and we know he'll keep taking ill-advised shots), he's pretty limited. Its possible Rick wants to keep him generally fresh for later in the season. If that's not the case, than I'm not sure what it could be. I'm a big JJax supporter and really want him to find a role here and get 25-30 minutes a game, and I genuinely believe he can become our 3rd best player.
Like Reply
(11-10-2019, 01:47 PM)TheCustodian Wrote: I genuinely believe that Jackson will be/should be our 3rd best player by season's end. As many have mentioned, he moves really well off the ball. He doesn't demand the ball and can make his presence known with limited touches. He was on fire for the last chunk of last season when he was thrown in the starting lineup shortly after getting traded here. He's one of those guys where I think he can give you a good 12-18 points on limited shots, he's versatile enough on the offensive end for that. His offense is very smooth and he's a really smart offensive player. He remains in the flow of the offense unlike THJ, and he gives you more than you get with DFS. I like when he brings the ball up as well. His size and length can allow him to compete every night defensively (though he may get pushed around a little by the bigger SFs). With some work on the defensive end, I think Jackson can be a starter on many playoff teams. 

I want to believe the reason that we haven't seen much Jackson so far into the season is that Rick wants to keep some surprises up his sleeve for later on. Come game 40/50, our rotation guys will be pretty fleshed out and their rolls will be clear to competing teams. Our guys will be easier to game plan for since most of our guys have a pretty defined role and a specific skill-set. Jackson gives this team a different dimension and he is a bit of a swiss army knife on offense. He makes it more difficult for opposing teams to game plan against us. With DFS, if you take away his 3s, he's pretty limited on offense, if THJ's shots aren't falling (and we know he'll keep taking ill-advised shots), he's pretty limited. Its possible Rick wants to keep him generally fresh for later in the season. If that's not the case, than I'm not sure what it could be. I'm a big JJax supporter and really want him to find a role here and get 25-30 minutes a game, and I genuinely believe he can become our 3rd best player.

I gave a like to your post even before completely finishing reading it! 

I agree in all that, he does bring in overall skills that are better than DFS. His floater is great. He is very efficient and we need players that can make something from limited touches, where JJ and Seth are valuable. 

One can still argue whether he can become as good a 3rd as we would like to, we would prefer to have a star as 3rd player. But regardless, he has the potential to be a starter and should become whether that is as 3rd best player on current roster or 4th after some trade. I value Kleber quiet higher at the moment due to his defensive skills, but JJ has an overall game and will become a player without major deficiencies. His 3 pointer is getting better and better.

Looking at the stats, per minute, JJ has been far more efficient than DFS at pretty much every category. Also just looking at the games, this is clear. 

I think Boban, Kleber, Wright and JJ have been playing really well and deserve more minutes.
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-B2ONsdLHc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzxKqL1pVf0
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 10:20 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: My favorite stat of the game: only 2 TOs for Luka.

Great to see after he flirted with a quad-double against the Knicks.
Like Reply
(11-09-2019, 11:19 PM)sefant Wrote:

Meh

During most games, he looks lost at every facet of the game to me other than spot up shooting and the floater.  Cant make layups.  Unaware and gets pushed around on defense.
Like Reply
Agree with Jackson, he's a useful offensive weapon in certain situations, but he isn't strong enough to be consistent around the paint.  Those blown layups against the Knicks drove me nuts.
I do hope he develops enough to warrant more minutes over THJ, but at this point I understand the limited minutes.
Like Reply
During the pre-season, I was thinking the mavs were heading towards starting Wright and JJax.  One thing I have always liked about him is that throughout his career, he performs better with more run - more productive/efficient.  IMO, it appears that Curry/JJax are handcuffed into rolls, as are DFS/Wright.  I don't think that the Mavs would ever start both of either set of those players.  Tbh, I would be happy to try out either of them - as we all know, this team has a deep team of guys that are fringe starters.  

This is why when you spend 40 million in cap space, you don't neglect getting sure fire starters... if you add all of that depth, on any given night players are not getting enough run.  If we have injuries, it will pay off, but you really want quality over quantity.  I would love to see us bundle a few players to upgrade the 5 and giving some of these wings more run.  I think the front office's ability to swing a nice trade could seriously impact our success THIS year.  Good part is that we could send out any number of players and still have a pretty well stocked team with quality depth throughout the roster. I don't think we could send out a big without replacing them, but any other position we go deep enough to consolidate!
Like Reply