Poll: What do we need more?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Ball Handler
35.00%
7 35.00%
Elite Defender
0%
0 0%
Center
20.00%
4 20.00%
Power Forward
10.00%
2 10.00%
Shooting Guard
10.00%
2 10.00%
Other explain below
25.00%
5 25.00%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is our number 1 need currently to get us back to winning
(12-09-2021, 09:30 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Conditioning could be a factor but I've also noticed teams change their defensive coverages late and cause problems.

Of course there are many factors, but people see what they want to see. Luka has better 3pt % in the fourth, less turnovers, higher effective FG and true shooting. KPs net rating for example plummets from +4 in the third to -24 in the fourth so I guess he must be in even worse shape Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Offense isn't even the problem in terms of what is working and not working 1st/2nd half, its the drop off in defense imo.

Our defense is pretty good in the first half. Dare i say contender like (top 10 defense). But then it goes south in the 2nd half.

• 4th best defensive team in the league in 1st quarters
  • 12th best defensive team in the league in 2nd quarters
  • 27th best defensive team in the league in 3rd quarters
  • 20th best defensive team in the league in 4th quarters

Not sure if you can fluke your way into a top 10 defense in one half. Lowe said on the podcast the Mavs are the 3rd unluckiest team in the league in terms of opponent shooting.
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • ballsrchr, Kammrath
Like Reply
(12-09-2021, 11:02 AM)sefant Wrote: Offense isn't even the problem in terms of what is working and not working 1st/2nd half, its the drop off in defense imo.

I would say Mavs showed they can play defense. What is killing them is really bad offense, imho. They are lucky to score 100 here and there lately. Even Kidd said several times bad offense make them stop playing defense. Seems like opponents really figured them out. Close the paint, double Luka and half of the work is done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
I see we got 4 votes for trade KP lol...
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
My answer to the original question is that it's two things: 1) a trade. And then 2) another trade.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BasketballJones41, chaparral
Like Reply
Thumbs Up 
(12-09-2021, 04:42 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: My answer to the original question is that it's two things: 1) a trade. And then 2) another trade.

Signed in today just to like this post.  Good job Scott...
Like Reply
Shooting guard?  You had me at shooting.
Like Reply
What we need is a responsibility/maturity from Luka. Comparing to his nba average, his seasons FT, 3 points, blocks, steals, rebounds are all down. Only personal and technical fouls are up, and turnovers and injuries too. And -his constant chirping at refs are making him a pariah among them. Yes,we cam play the number game, but the fact is, this is not Luka from last seasons and every year he is getting worse in some ways.

It all starts with him coming to play every year out of shape, playing through pain and somehow ending ok plus the fact that he is being "untouchable" and everyone is tiptoeing around him. Now, when some of the players are waking up to their potential it is only more obvious, that his time to improvise/play whatever he wants  is over.  Because he is not a rookie anymore and as long he will start season like a bloated sack (putting additional stress on his body with unnecesarry weight) and as long coaches will play him up to 48 minutes, there is only one future for him - downwards (I hope that slippery slope did not already start). I am afraid that he will burn up and fall, partially because of his irresponsibility/immaturity and part of the teams leadership using him wrongly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Borkhan's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
The focus on Luka is becoming ridiculous.

Is it possible the kid has been playing high level basketball from a young age and is losing his thirst for it earlier than most?  Possibly.  Doubt it though

Is it possible that he got paid and is comfortable or not as motivated?  Possibly.  Doubt it though.

Is it possible Luka plays for a franchise in turmoil...that doesnt really seem to have a chance at winning hardware this year...and Luka is taking a relaxed year?  Possible and probable, imo.

Luka has shown new tricks in his bag every season....he works on his game.

Now...you can lean on the "he's not setting a good example...monkey see monkey do" excuse...but the situation isnt anywhere near as bad as it is being made out to be.

Luka should clean up his diet if he eats a lot of junk food and soft drinks.  Luka should bitch at the refs less often.   Luka should try a little more on defense if he has the energy.  Luka should stop taking lazy step back threes when they are not necessary and give that ball to a player needing real time to work on his game(DFS, MAXI, GREEN, etc)...

But I have no problem with Luka not showing his whole deck of cards in a throw away year.   If you think that is unprofessional or is being a bad influence on the team...I guess we can agree to disagree.
[-] The following 6 users Like dynamicalVoid's post:
  • ballsrchr, BasketballJones41, Borkhan, ClutchDirk, omahen, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I dont agree with DynamicalVoid in everything, but I definitely agree with this statement of his:

Luka should clean up his diet if he eats a lot of junk food and soft drinks.  Luka should bitch at the refs less often.   Luka should try a little more on defense if he has the energy.  Luka should stop taking lazy step back threes when they are not necessary and give that ball to a player needing real time to work on his game(DFS, MAXI, GREEN, etc)...

So yes, I not only respectfully agree do disagree, but I also agree with the above. Basically, not being a therapist notwithstandely, Luka needs somebody he will listen to. For the time being, excluding his mom, he has nobody like that.
Like Reply
(12-10-2021, 11:56 AM)Borkhan Wrote: Basically, not being a therapist notwithstandely, Luka needs somebody he will listen to.
I thought Igor Kokoskov was the "Luka Whisperer". 

Did I get the wrong impression?
Like Reply
(12-10-2021, 12:01 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I thought Igor Kokoskov was the "Luka Whisperer". 

Yes, Kokoshov was only a coach for Slovenian national team, meaning, he spent very little time with players, who came when their schedules allowed. And there was never any report of a special rapport (no pun) between Kokoshov and Luka (ok, Igor is Serbian and Luka is half Serbian, but thats it).  Btw he was also in the interim the coach of Serbia Montenegro, Georgia and Serbia again - all rivals of Slovenia.

He is well respected. as he should be, has about 20 years in NBA, but to calm down Luka probably is a wrong person. I can think of only one figure who is maybe able doing that - Goran Dragic - if at all.
Like Reply
oh yes, maybe also Rasha Nesterovič, but he is not available to babysit... The only player beside Dragič who played with Luka and is now in nba is Čančar.
Like Reply
(12-10-2021, 12:12 PM)Borkhan Wrote: Yes, Kokoshov was only a coach for Slovenian national team, meaning, he spent very little time with players, who came when their schedules allowed. And there was never any report of a special rapport (no pun) between Kokoshov and Luka (ok, Igor is Serbian and Luka is half Serbian, but thats it).  Btw he was also in the interim the coach of Serbia Montenegro, Georgia and Serbia again - all rivals of Slovenia.

He is well respected. as he should be, has about 20 years in NBA, but to calm down Luka probably is a wrong person. I can think of only one figure who is maybe able doing that - Goran Dragic - if at all.

Thanks for the clarification. Kokoshov was the head coach for Slovenia's 2017 Eurobasket championship. I was under the impression he had a deeper relationship with Luka because of that. 

Also, Bobi is supposed to be buddies with Luka. Maybe he needs to have a heart-to-heart discussion? Bobi certainly takes good care of himself, Goldfish commercials aside.
Like Reply
(12-10-2021, 01:43 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Thanks for the clarification. Kokoshov was the head coach for Slovenia's 2017 Eurobasket championship. I was under the impression he had a deeper relationship with Luka because of that. 

Also, Bobi is supposed to be buddies with Luka. Maybe he needs to have a heart-to-heart discussion? Bobi certainly takes good care of himself, Goldfish commercials aside.

Well, I will be playing psychologist, which I am not. Dragič was captain, mentor, unpaid pr for Luka. He is probably the only one who has the meritocracy to shup up Luka. If it is not too late. Boban is a friend, not a commander Luka has to obey, so they do not compare at all. Also, Dragic has a pedigree going back over ten years, so he can really say, my confirmed opinion is, that you should shut up, Luka. Of course, it is possible, that we missed the proper time to insert Dragic and that Luka will continue his downward spiral among tiptoers.... The fact is, Luka, in some features of his, cannot continue or he will topple down. Slowly, but surely.
Like Reply
Maybe we should think of trading Luka. He is a proven problem, from refs to turnovers. Why should we hang on him, as long as he has a good price$
Like Reply
(12-10-2021, 12:01 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I thought Igor Kokoskov was the "Luka Whisperer". 

Bobi is the only and true "Luka Whisperer"
Like Reply
(12-10-2021, 02:08 PM)Borkhan Wrote: Maybe we should think of trading Luka. He is a proven problem, from refs to turnovers. Why should we hang on him, as long as he has a good price$

Methinks you have ulterior motives. Or your tongue in cheek.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Trade KP, Brunson, WCS, and a second rounder to the Spurs for Poeltl, Murray, and Vassell, then trade THJ and Bollocks for Heyward. Sign Dragic when bought out.

Luka/Dragic/Smokes
Murray/Smokes/Green
Hayward/Vassell/Green
DFS/Maxi/Powell
Poeltl/Maxi/Moses/Bobi

Much better team than what we have now, and all contract problems other than Powell (and DFS's re-signing) solved.
Like Reply
https://media.giphy.com/media/iNcvudVKn3.../giphy.gif
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply