Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 90, GRIZZLIES 97
STAR-LESS MAVS COME UP SHORT AGAINST JA-LESS GRIZZ

The short-handed Mavs hoped to redeem themselves after a miserable blowout the night before. They made a game of it at the end, but ultimately couldn’t quite get across the finish line. 

GAME NOTES

Dallas will have to try to win this one without Willie (personal reasons), KP (knee), and Luka (ankle). Well. Okay, then. Ja is out for Memphis. The Mavs are on the second night of a back-to-back. Followill is rocking a flashy red and black checked blazer. Kidd selected a starting lineup of Brunson-Bullock-DFS-Maxi-Powell. 

FIRST QUARTER

Bullock gets the Mavs on the board at 9:14. Mavs can’t score or defend.  Dang. 2-13 8:14

Reggie gets a second-chance opportunity. Has all 5 of the Maverick points. Mavs in a zone defense, but Memphis skips to the basket. Yikes. Maxi hits from downtown! It’s incredible how open teams leave Maxi, considering his shooting ability. Bobi gets an ovation just for stepping on the court, lol. Bobi puts one in. Corner three from Dorian. 13-17 3:02

Burke from the corner! Frankie returns to the court. Adams called for taking down Bobi. Woah. Burke takes it to the hole.

18-22 after one

Well, we have 18 points. Cool, cool. Mavs 7-22 (32%). ‘Kay. 

SECOND QUARTER

Early timeout. 18-29 10:34

Sterling gives the Mavs their first points of the quarter. Brunson pull-up. Mavs having a tough time against Steven Adams. Another Brunson pull-up. DFS hits from long range. Called for his third foul on the next possession. Tim gets Mavs’ first free throws of the night. Hits both. DFS stays on the floor with the fouls. Timmy’s first basket is a jumper. 31-44 2:23

DFS hits another three. Timmy hits a long one. 

37-49 HT

Mavs have 19 points in the second quarter. Since it's a positive world, that’s one more than the first quarter. Dallas shooting 30% for the half. Dorian leads the team with 9 points. 

THIRD QUARTER

Powell gets his first basket. DFS with another three. Glad someone can make a bucket. Powell with a circus shot and-one. They cleaning crew is spending a lot of time mopping the floor the last couple games. Brunson scores on a drive. Now there’s an official timeout, so they can mop some more. Adams crushing the life out of us. Adams trips Maxi, then keeps him from falling in a nice maternal gesture. 48-64 6:21

Brunson puts one back. 51-66 3:45

Trey and Frankie making a little noise.  

58-72 after three

21 points in the third. That’s a little better than the first and second. Mavs still shooting 30%.  There’s still time. 

FOURTH QUARTER

Timmy one of two from the line. Then another one of two trip for him. Draws a foul again. Hits one before the timeout. 61-74 9:15

Tim hits the second free throw. Brunson one of two, but puts in his own miss. Jaren Jackson called for his fifth, Timmy one of two again. Timmy with a deep three gets the Mavs within 9. DFS called for his fifth, goes out of the game. Timmy from downtown! Bane getting to the basket like it’s the Easter parade. 72-87 4:53

T on Dillon Brooks. We’re mopping again. Timmy makes the free throw. Maxi corner three! Timmy another three. Tim trapped on the sideline, Kidd bails him out with a timeout. 78-88 3:30

Timmy three over Brooks! Brunson drive and score. Brunson-Tim-DFS-Maxi-Powell on the floor. Brunson again! Deficit down to six! Another Timmy three with a foul! Woo-hoo! Misses the free throw. Offensive rebound, but then Brunson steps out of bounds. Kidd challenges. Unsuccessful. Tyus Jones drives and scores. DFS puts one in at the basket. 90-95 28 seconds

Looks like Memphis doesn’t like something about the inbounds set up. 90-95 23 seconds

Mavs have to foul Tyus Jones. Jones makes both freebies. 90-97 22 seconds

Mavs don’t score. 

90-97 FT

ANALYSIS

The stats are not pretty. Read them if you dare. 

Comparative stats are Dallas-Memphis.

Shooting percentages  34/36/68, 49/35/58
Point diffs  -24 on points from twos, +18 on points from threes, -1 on made free throws
Shots attempted  92-76
Free throws attempted  19-24
Rebounds  42-52
PIP  22-52
Second-chance points  7-17
Fast-break points  2-16

The Mavs stayed in the game, courtesy of the Grizz turning it over 22 times and shooting 14-24 from the line. Luckily for Dallas, Memphis was pretty sucky themselves in many respects.

Finishing lineup  Brunson-Tim-DFS-Maxi-Powell

PLAYER NOTES

DFS (37 min). Dorian was the leading scorer for a long time, and ultimately had 14 points, including 4 threes, along with 6 boards, 4 dimes, and 3 steals. He was in foul trouble late, but managed to stay on the floor at the end of the game. 

BRUNSON (37). Jalen had 15 points and 8 assists as the starting point guard, although he shot only 7-21. He was trying to play a Luka-like game, driving and scoring, but had a very difficult time finishing. 

KLEBER (33). Maxi had 7 points and 9 rebounds, but was 2-8 from the field. Kidd said he got a lot of good looks, but the shots just didn’t go down. 

HARDAWAY (31). Tim was the game’s hero, if there was one, as he stepped up with 29 points, completed 5-9 threes, got to the free throw line for 14 attempts (!), hitting 10, and had 7 rebounds. He was incredible in the fourth quarter, scoring 20 points in the frame, and playing all 12 minutes. He is the guy you would hope would step up in the absence of Luka and KP, and it was very good to see him do that. Reggie took his place in the starting lineup, but Tim was on at the end. Kidd liked his aggressive play. 

BULLOCK (27). Reggie had a forgettable performance, going 2-9 from the field and scoring only 5 points. 

POWELL (24). Dwight had 5 points, 4 rebounds, and a surprising 5 assists in his role as starting center. He had a tough time with Adams (as did everyone), but was included in the finishing unit. 

MENTIONS. STERLING (15) was underwhelming, taking only 3 shots and completing one. BURKE (13) had eight points, but was 3-9 from the floor. FRANK (13) had 3 points. BOBAN (11) collected 7 rebounds, but was 1-5 for 2 points. 

BROWN, GREEN, MCLAUGHLIN, and OMORUYI were DNP-CD. Asked why they didn’t play, Kidd responded that there were only 48 minutes in the game, the guys on the floor were playing hard, and there weren’t enough minutes for them to get involved. 

There is no timetable for the return of WILLIE, PORZINGIS, or LUKA. Luka, who has a sore ankle, had an MRI today and will be re-assessed tomorrow.  

GRIZZLIES. Desmond Bane was the best player on the night, with 29 points (12-20) and 9 rebounds. He scored from everywhere on the floor, and the Mavs couldn’t contain him. Kidd said they had talked about Bane in the locker room, but he was too much for them, and the Mavs need to do a better job on him next time they see him. Tyus Jones was 16-6-7, and sealed the game with free throws at the end. Steven Adams was an irresistible force, laying 11 points and 14 rebounds on the Mavs, and destroying our team inside. Jaren Jackson (13), Dillon Brooks (11), and De’Anthony Melton (11) were also in double figures. 

OBSERVATIONS

Bally crew. When it came down to it, our squad just couldn’t score, although they did get some good looks. The Mavs had a great comeback fourth quarter, largely thanks to Tim Hardaway, but you aren’t going to win many games when you shoot 34%. We had no answer for Steven Adams. 

Kidd was back in his positive world mode after the game. He allowed that his guys were within range of a victory at the end, forced a lot of turnovers, created a lot of good looks even without Luka and KP, got Tim going, and exhibited good effort. The injuries obviously affected them, but he was proud that his players “never let go of the rope.” Ultimately, they “couldn’t get the little things done at the end,” but they gave themselves a chance. Admitting that he felt like a broken record, he said they had some great looks that just didn’t go down. 

In all honesty, there wasn’t a lot to write home about when it came to this game, although there was one bright spot. Tim Hardaway came through with flying colors, and if this contest has gotten him back on track, it would be more than worth it. 

The fourth quarter applied some lipstick to what was a pretty dismal first 36 minutes, so maybe the guys can still hold up their heads, especially since they were playing without their stars. For a social media positive, maybe some of the Twitter yammerers who think Luka is the problem with this team can get that idea out of their systems, now that they have seen what happens when he is dropped.

Despite the loss, and a slog through the first three quarters, the fourth was pretty exciting, and had a bit of a feel-good ambience.  

NEXT. The Mavs face none other than the Brooklyn Nets on Tuesday. Yikes. I hope Luka and KP are back. 

The loss put the Mavs at .500, 11-11. I figure they're going to get back on track sometime. Why not now?
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • Dahlsim
Like Reply
(12-05-2021, 12:22 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: BULLOCK (27). Reggie had a forgettable performance, going 2-9 from the field and scoring only 5 points. 

STERLING (15) was underwhelming, taking only 3 shots and completing one. 

BROWN, GREEN, MCLAUGHLIN, and OMORUYI were DNP-CD. Asked why they didn’t play, Kidd responded that there were only 48 minutes in the game, the guys on the floor were playing hard, and there weren’t enough minutes for them to get involved. 

Lame excuse for Kidd. 

If Bullock and SB are playing hard and yet having results like these, then maybe it's time to look for better options, at least within the game. That's not even coaching, that's just common sense. 

RC, a known coach who relies heavily on veterans would have played Green.
[-] The following 2 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Thanks for the recap ML.

How they didnt pick Bane in the draft is a massive mistake. Whoever said he didnt had enough arm span and length and couldnt make it in the NBA was obviously really wrong. Its about skill mainly this game. Huge mistake for this franchise, he would be starter and upgrade for Mavs, not a single question about that.

This team has only 2 players that can, with success, penetrate from outside the 3 point line and finish at the rim, that is Luka and Brunson (and THJ to lesser extent). Most of the rest of the squad is highly limited in that skill. You cant build a team like that, with only two that can do that, you need more and you need more natural scorers offensively that can score from anywhere. Too many of our players are very one dimensional in only being able to score from the 3 point line (DFS, KP, Maxi etc.). Bane would have made a massive difference for this team, and made us multi dimensional with more penetration and scoring from anywhere. Not to mention the fit with Luka.
Like Reply
(12-05-2021, 02:42 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Lame excuse for Kidd. 

If Bullock and SB are playing hard and yet having results like these, then maybe it's time to look for better options, at least within the game. That's not even coaching, that's just common sense. 

RC, a known coach who relies heavily on veterans would have played Green.

[Image: 2man.png]

SB appears a lot in the positive 2 man net rating combos. I wanna see JG & Omoruyi getting playing time too, but not sure if there aren't bigger problems. The bench has been doing their job pretty well for the most part. The starters have been in the mud.

This are all positive combos > 35 min. The rest is negative on the floor.
Like Reply
(12-05-2021, 04:15 AM)sefant Wrote: [Image: 2man.png]

SB appears a lot in the positive 2 man net rating combos. I wanna see JG & Omoruyi getting playing time too, but not sure if there aren't bigger problems. The bench has been doing their job pretty well for the most part. The starters have been in the mud.

I think Brown has played solid ball lately, but he still can't make wide open three pointers and that was suppose to be what he excelled at.   If he can't make them, he will never be what they expected.

We should all be rooting that Josh Green beats him out and earns those minutes.   I am a believer you earn earn minutes.  It would be nice to give him a few chances.  The last few games were so bad, I am surprised Kidd just didn't try to shake some things up.   It shows you how far the depth chart Green is.  He is not close to earning minutes.  Disappointing.   Right now Frank should be giving minutes every game and shouldn't lose any minutes to Burke or Brown imo.    Eventually, hopefully Green earns minutes over Brown.  Although each week that goes by, I am losing confidence.

Bane has really grew his game.  He was the best shooter in that draft and had a really nice feel passing the game.  Although over the last year his ball creation has gotten very good.  Both getting to the rim and mid range.  That guy is going to hit big shots for years to come.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
(12-05-2021, 12:22 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: maybe some of the Twitter yammerers who think Luka is the problem with this team can get that idea out of their systems, now that they have seen what happens when he is dropped.

I'm not really a Twitter guy, but I'd be surprised if there are many people pointing the finger solely at Luka. This team has a lot of problems. Luka can certainly do more but it starts at the top with roster construction and coaching and extends to the bottom four guys who can't even get on the floor in a game like this.

Neither team had their top two guys. This game was about the rest of the roster and it proved what everyone has been saying all along. Memphis is just far better from roster spots 3 through 17.

On the bright side, I'd take Luka + KP over Morant + Brooks ... but if I'm being honest, the margin isn't huge.
Like Reply
(12-05-2021, 10:47 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: On the bright side, I'd take Luka + KP over Morant + Brooks ... but if I'm being honest, the margin isn't huge.

I think the main issue is Memphis considers Jaren Jackson their second star.  Like KP, Jackson has similar injuries issues.  I would take Luka and KP over Morant and Jackson.   The problem is Memphis has Brooks, Bane, and for now Adams.  Both Brooks and Bane would be our third best player, I think.   Then they are filled with really nice glue guys Jones, Kyle Anderson, Tillman, Melton, Clarke (although he hasn't really been that great recently).   The Mavs have similar type of players but we are asking a few of them to play a higher level of importance than they should.   

Memphis is also playing the long game.   Jonas was really good for them.  But looking forward they didn't know if the fit was perfect and they were worried about his salary demands coming up.  So they took on Steven Adams (who I think was a downgrade but got some cost certainty for this year and next) and then picked up a young draft pick.   We will see if this moves works out but they are being disciplined as they continue to build their team. 

It is the same thing we have said for years.  We have a star and we have a really nice group of role players.  What we are missing is a third and fourth best player (Second if KP can't be counted on).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(12-05-2021, 04:15 AM)sefant Wrote: [Image: 2man.png]

There are 13 2-man combos with a rating over 10. (The rest are below 5.) Six of those thirteen feature one particular player.
Like Reply
THJ waits until the 4th quarter to start playing and once the game gets close, largely due to him, he blows a free throw on a 4PT play, misses the rim by about 8 feet on his next 3PT attempt, bricks the next corner 3PT attempt and air balls (might have been partially blocked) his last 3PT attempt.  I'm immediately given flashback of him hitting the side of the backboard in our first playoff series against the Clippers late in a close game.  We've already relegated him to a bench role after paying him a huge contract.  

Speaking of only showing up in the 4th quarter, hello Jalen Brunson.  This might have been his worst game in a very, very long time.
Like Reply
(12-05-2021, 02:36 PM)cow Wrote: THJ waits until the 4th quarter to start playing and once the game gets close, largely due to him, he blows a free throw on a 4PT play, misses the rim by about 8 feet on his next 3PT attempt, bricks the next corner 3PT attempt and air balls (might have been partially blocked) his last 3PT attempt.  I'm immediately given flashback of him hitting the side of the backboard in our first playoff series against the Clippers late in a close game.  We've already relegated him to a bench role after paying him a huge contract.  

Speaking of only showing up in the 4th quarter, hello Jalen Brunson.  This might have been his worst game in a very, very long time.

I agree, THJ is one of the major issues this year. 

Other than shooting and being inconsistent at it, I am not seeing where he brings value. I know he is a good leader but he is really limited on what he brings to the table. 

Brunson gets a pass because he has won us games this year. 
If I am the Mavericks I seriously entertain making some major shakeups with this roster. 

I also felt like Maxi was terrible as well. He took 6 threes in the first 8 minutes of the game. I am okay with that being a big part of his game but the Mavs have too many guys that only shoot threes with a limited offensive bag.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Omega_Supreme's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply