Poll: What would you like to see more of from KP late in games:
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Isolation at top of the key; similar to early Dirk
7.69%
2 7.69%
Isolation on Dirk's one-legged fadeaway silhouette
11.54%
3 11.54%
Isolation in the post; similar to how Lakers deploy AD
23.08%
6 23.08%
Iverson cut
3.85%
1 3.85%
Pick & roll / pop with Doncic
46.15%
12 46.15%
Other
7.69%
2 7.69%
Total 26 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Developing KP as a scorer
If you recall, Dirk went through this phase. There was a point in his development when he would sit 2 for 7 with four points midway through the third quarter and you just thought he was having an off night. Then all of the sudden you'd look at the final boxscore and see he finished 9 of 17 with a quiet 24 points.

I think KP is near that level of production now. I think there will be a lot of nights when everyone will be talking about Doncic and some role player who stepped up ... then you'll glance at the boxscore and see KP scored a quiet 23 on efficient shooting. 

Dirk developed his unstoppable go-to moves later in his development. He didn't necessarily score more points but he scored with more force, if that makes sense. 

I think we're all looking for KP to develop a similar level of scoring prowess. Not necessarily scoring 30+ ppg. Dirk never led the league in scoring but when he was at the height of his powers the Mavs could go to him for a bucket. Opponents feared him. 

To sum it up, I think KP will score points but he needs to develop a spot on the floor or move that opponents fear. 

I actually voted for the Iverson cut. I know I'm in the minority on this one. But it's easy to see what Carlisle is doing here. It's one of my favorite actions in basketball and allows for countless counters. And when you see a 7' 3" giant running it instead of a shooting guard, it has to instill utter fear in the defense.
Like Reply
(11-05-2019, 04:14 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: If you recall, Dirk went through this phase. There was a point in his development when he would sit 2 for 7 with four points midway through the third quarter and you just thought he was having an off night. Then all of the sudden you'd look at the final boxscore and see he finished 9 of 17 with a quiet 24 points.

I think KP is near that level of production now. I think there will be a lot of nights when everyone will be talking about Doncic and some role player who stepped up ... then you'll glance at the boxscore and see KP scored a quiet 23 on efficient shooting. 

Dirk developed his unstoppable go-to moves later in his development. He didn't necessarily score more points but he scored with more force, if that makes sense. 

I think we're all looking for KP to develop a similar level of scoring prowess. Not necessarily scoring 30+ ppg. Dirk never led the league in scoring but when he was at the height of his powers the Mavs could go to him for a bucket. Opponents feared him. 

To sum it up, I think KP will score points but he needs to develop a spot on the floor or move that opponents fear. 

I actually voted for the Iverson cut. I know I'm in the minority on this one. But it's easy to see what Carlisle is doing here. It's one of my favorite actions in basketball and allows for countless counters. And when you see a 7' 3" giant running it instead of a shooting guard, it has to instill utter fear in the defense.

I know some about player evaluation, performance prediction, team chemistry, team building stuff ,but body language and other psych stuff but actually not much about basketball plays.

So it is pretty interesting for me what you have seen there in the games. Do you like to elaborate further?

So I did a quick google search an found this interesting article about Iverson cuts.

https://www.blazersedge.com/2018/12/27/1...erson-cuts

"In recent years, coaches have been unleashing a third option in these spots. Rather than the cutter looping into the mid-range on one side of the floor, he’s now being instructed to continue his cut all the way through to the opposite wing. If he’s open on the catch at that range, he can transform that mid-range jumper into a three-pointer."
Like Reply
Carlisle often spoke about how Dirk changed the geometry of the game. 

He's doing the same thing with KP -- but the game has changed a lot in the last 5 years. Dirk's spots often resulted in mid-range 2s and Dirk was one of the best all-time at making them. But even at Dirk's HoF level, it's a less efficient shot than a layup or open three.

I don't think Carlisle will build an offense to get KP mid-range jumpers. 

And I don't think KP has the beef to regularly post up & get dunks off the left block like Tim Duncan or AD.

So I think Carlisle is experimenting with modern ways to get him going as a scorer.

Iverson cuts were fundamental to the Lebron + Kyrie era Cavs. The action has been around forever but the angles have evolved (like the article you linked describes) to get guards open for threes or layups.

Take a look at this video and just replace Lebron with Doncic and Kyrie with Porzingis and you can imagine the possibilities. 

IMHO Carlisle's innovation is using a 7' 3" center like a modern 6' 2" scoring guard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxw0VXSJ_0
Like Reply
I voted for "other." The way we are currently using KP is almost like a 7'3 Klay Thompson. 68% of his shots are either catch 'n shoot (48%) or pull-up's (20%). Another big with similar style is Brook Lopez. 

KP has been horrendous in the post thus far, ranking in the 3rd percentile. It should get better as the season goes on but it's not necessary for him to succeed. He is going to take a beating anchoring the defense; limiting the damage on offense by letting him be less "physical" might not be a bad idea.

Plus, Luka already has the ball stopping plays covered so I don't think we need more of it. Carlisle has always emphasized ball movement and I think what we saw in CLE and the 1Q of POR is what this offense should be on most nights.
Like Reply
(11-06-2019, 04:07 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: I voted for "other." The way we are currently using KP is almost like a 7'3 Klay Thompson.

TBH that's what he is and that's what he was in NY.  He just had the freedom to jack up a ton of those shots playing for a bad team.

That being said, he's 24 and really 22ish developmentally.  I'm excited about his future potential.  And in the meantime, he still provides a ton of value as a 7'3" poor mans Klay Thompson.
Like Reply