Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TAKE DAT WIT YOU 11/30
Mark and Brian review the Mavs’ progress. 

Followill. Mark has thankfully recovered from his trip to the ER on Friday. 

Porzingis.  They figure that KP probably won’t play on Wednesday, due to his sprained ankle. 

LAST THREE GAMES

Clippers — Mavs gave up a 10-point lead in the last four minutes, but dominated in overtime. Takeaway — started their running-the-clock-down offense a little too early, but was an exercise in resilience. 

Wizards — The defense couldn’t make a stop at the end, and they allowed Gafford two critical offensive rebounds. According to Carlisle, the worst shot to give up in the NBA is the kick-out three after an offensive rebound, and we did. Wiz are 10-1 in clutch games, best in the league, so the clutch opponent was formidable. Mavs 6-3 in those situations. They might have learned from the experience.  

Cavs

Moses Brown. He finally got to start, which some fans had been clamoring for. It is understandable that fans want to see Brown — he put up good numbers last year on a tanking team, and he is a 7’2” 22-year-old. But we’re not likely to see a lot of him, for a couple of reasons. 1. He is a project, rather than a guy who can be helpful in the here and now. 2. He might be here primarily as a potential trade asset, anyway. Likely to be the odd man out if Dragic or another player is acquired. 

Interior defense. There was none.  Allen, Markkanen and Mobley all got to the rim at will with demoralizing highlight-reel plays.

SHOOTING WOES

At this point, it’s getting harder to put this up to a statistical anomaly. It’s a systemic problem now. They are shooting wide open looks well, but have become terrible at anything else. Most of the Mavs’ shooters have regressed way below their last-season and career averages. And when you combine that with poor free-throw shooting, it’s very difficult to explain. 

What is the solution? Not altogether buying the “we just have to try harder” panacea. That’s usually just coach-speak for, “I don’t know what the problem is.” The offense is working in the sense of getting open looks. Are they practicing shooting the right way? Are they working with the guys on their mechanics (for example, Reggie, whose shot has visibly flattened and who doesn’t seem to have his legs in the shot)? Why was Reggie taking the technical free throw, when he had only shot 5 FTA all season? Etc. 

The situation borders on alarming at this point in the season. When you look at team-wide slumps, it’s sometimes a case of the players feeling the pressure mounting as the situation worsens, guys getting the yips, and performance spiraling downward. 

DEFENSE

Shotmaking comes and goes, but they are making a mistake letting their poor shooting affect their focus and attention to detail on defense. Transition D has particularly taken a hit, as the players slump their shoulders. 

Kidd is trying to stay positive and encourage them to stick together. 

STARTING LINEUP

Powell was replaced with Willie, who became ill and was replaced for the night with Moses. Kidd has indicated that Maxi could try that place, once he is 100%. Don't necessarily expect to see Kidd dispense with Willie/Powell to start the games. 

Kidd knows that KP-Maxi is the best big man lineup, but has his reasons for not starting that way. Both KP and Maxi have injury concerns. Neither KP nor Maxi can sustain consistent games of playing 35+ minutes — they have to be load-managed.  Kidd has to have help from Powell and/or Willie. Kidd thinks that starting one of those guys forces teams to prepare for a different look than KP-Maxi or just KP.  He is also protecting his best bigs from foul trouble and wearing down by starting the weaker players. 

A more intriguing question might be the closing lineup — which three out of Maxi-Brunson-DFS-Tim will be part of it, or will it be matchup dependent?

POSSIBLE NEW PLAYERS

Center. Can they fortify the big man rotation to get a guy who plays “bigger” in the paint? Maxi plays more like a PF. Could they maybe get a McGee type guy to play next to KP? It's a little puzzling that they didn’t sign a guy like that in the summer if they knew they were going to play this style. 

Dragic. We still expect that Dragic will eventually be here to stabilize the playmaking. Goran has likely played his last game as a Raptor. The Raps will probably wait until the TDL, and then work a buyout if they can’t make a deal. Nothing appears to be imminent. 

Walker. Kemba’s name is circulating. He has an injury history, but he is a former Mavs target. If the Mavs are desperate and the price is right, they might take a flyer.
[-] The following 4 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • burekemde, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
Great to hear that Mark Followill recovered! Remember to drink water and stay hydrated, he is probably so dedicated to the Mavs and recaps completely forgetting to drink water Big Grin
Like Reply
Not encouraging, especially the "spiraling downward" note. Yikes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
The way I consider about Kidd from what I have seen so far. He is trying many things, and many things dont work. But there are also many things that actually work. My main worry, is that I am not quiet sure if he can spot why and how something works, and replicate that in a new circumstance, when that will be needed to employed again. The last mentioned, is perhaps the hardest of all being a coach, so that is not an easy thing. That being said, this is what separates the good from great coaches. But it so early, that we dont know. We will see later in season and hopefully in playoffs - does he remember what worked? Can he look back and set those lineups and tactics in games when that will be useful again and replicate? So far it seems all over the place and he is not able to replicate with consistency the things that worked. But the good part is he is trying some new things RC never did attempt and made work, and some of it has worked for Kidd. So lets see. Its fine trying, but at the end of the day, you need to know how to replicate that. Consistently.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 06:05 PM)burekemde Wrote: Great to hear that Mark Followill recovered! Remember to drink water and stay hydrated, he is probably so dedicated to the Mavs and recaps completely forgetting to drink water Big Grin

Yes, that is definitely what happened. What a devoted guy!
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 05:55 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Transition D has particularly taken a hit, as the players slump their shoulders. 

Slumped shoulders is part of it, for sure, but it seems like more of these guys have carte blanche to go to the offensive glass anytime they like, too. That's a major change from Carlisle's Mavericks, who used to heavily prioritize transition defense over offensive rebounding. I'm not saying that last year's team was the academic model for the perfect transition defense, but I have definitely noticed a move away from "safety" in this area. 

I know it's bad ass when Porzingis swoops into the paint at the last second for one of those frenetic put back dunks, but tbh, he's the slowest guy on the court. So, when that gamble isn't successful (the majority of the time, I'd bet) the result is that the slowest Maverick, and the one who really needs to be the one of the first ones back to defend the paint, is literally the 10th guy to cross the half court line.

(11-30-2021, 05:55 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: Walker. Kemba’s name is circulating. He has an injury history, but he is a former Mavs target. If the Mavs are desperate and the price is right, they might take a flyer.

Was this presented as speculation, or subtle reporting? 

I bet @"Kammrath" spit chocolate milk all over his keyboard when he read this. I used to be a proponent of Walker's around here, but I just don't see the fit at this point. I think he's officially washed.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 06:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I bet @Kammrath spit chocolate milk all over his keyboard when he read this. I used to be a proponent of Walker's around here, but I just don't see the fit at this point. I think he's officially washed.

[Image: spits-liar.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • burekemde
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 06:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Slumped shoulders is part of it, for sure, but it seems like more of these guys have carte blanche to go to the offensive glass anytime they like, too. That's a major change from Carlisle's Mavericks, who used to heavily prioritize transition defense over offensive rebounding. I'm not saying that last year's team was the academic model for the perfect transition defense, but I have definitely noticed a move away from "safety" in this area. 

I know it's bad ass when Porzingis swoops into the paint at the last second for one of those frenetic put back dunks, but tbh, he's the slowest guy on the court. So, when that gamble isn't successful (the majority of the time, I'd bet) the result is that the slowest Maverick, and the one who really needs to be the one of the first ones back to defend the paint, is literally the 10th guy to cross the half court line.
Agree with all of this.
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 06:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote:
Quote:Walker. Kemba’s name is circulating. He has an injury history, but he is a former Mavs target. If the Mavs are desperate and the price is right, they might take a flyer.

Was this presented as speculation, or subtle reporting? 

I bet @Kammrath spit chocolate milk all over his keyboard when he read this. I used to be a proponent of Walker's around here, but I just don't see the fit at this point. I think he's officially washed.
For the sake of Kammrath's keyboard, let me clarify that this was not presented as something likely to happen. More in the nature of -- what if things go further south and they're desperate for whatever help they can find? If Kemba were available for cheap, they might not necessarily rule him out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
#TeamCorpseOfKemba
Like Reply
(11-30-2021, 05:55 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: POSSIBLE NEW PLAYERS

Center. Can they fortify the big man rotation to get a guy who plays “bigger” in the paint? Maxi plays more like a PF. Could they maybe get a McGee type guy to play next to KP? It's a little puzzling that they didn’t sign a guy like that in the summer if they knew they were going to play this style. 

Dragic. We still expect that Dragic will eventually be here to stabilize the playmaking. Goran has likely played his last game as a Raptor. The Raps will probably wait until the TDL, and then work a buyout if they can’t make a deal. Nothing appears to be imminent. 

This is my mantra for short term improvement.  Is it a long term move?  No.  Will it make us a serious contender?  No, but it may give us a punchers chance if things break exactly right.   

I want to find a center who we don't nee to give up a good asset for....so I am not picky.  Just find someone who can be solid for 20 minutes.   Ideally it would be for the TPE plus a second round pick, but maybe I am dreaming and that may not be realistic.   I don't think this is the time to go all in.  Nor do I think we could have the best offer in a league where a lot of teams think they still have a chance.   So, look for a short term, low cost move.

My fear about Dragic is three fold.  1) Is he still close to the same player he was last year and can still be a plus at 20-25 minutes a night?   Did Toronto just decide not to play him because they knew he was only there for a short period?   2) Is he dealing with something really bad in his personal life?  3) The more the Mavs stay close to .500 the more appealing another situation may be who is in a win now mode.  

Lastly, I find it interesting that Moses could be the one cut if they pick up a guy like Dragic as a buyout.  I had always thought it would be Burke.  Burke has been pretty solid, but wouldn't appear to be needed if Dragic was brought in.
Like Reply
Seth Partnow, who was formerly with the Bucks' front office, came on Kirk's group therapy podcast and talked a little about the Mavs and their reputation among the other front offices in the league. 

Did not want to talk them down too much, but said they did not enjoy a reputation for being competent or easy to deal with. Their MO when they learned a player was available was to swoop in at the eleventh hour with the attitude that they were going to "shake somebody down." Said the front offices who got things done kept up with what was going on, had a realistic idea of the players' value, approached other front offices on a timely and businesslike basis, and negotiated accordingly. Whereas, the Mavs were always trying to cut sharp deals to get $1.50 value for $1.00, and usually walked away empty-handed. 

I would believe it. 

Maybe the front office shake-up will get them operating in a more professional manner and actually making some good trades.
[-] The following 2 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • fifteenth, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 11:32 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: Seth Partnow, who was formerly with the Bucks' front office, came on Kirk's group therapy podcast and talked a little about the Mavs and their reputation among the other front offices in the league. 

Did not want to talk them down too much, but said they did not enjoy a reputation for being competent or easy to deal with. Their MO when they learned a player was available was to swoop in at the eleventh hour with the attitude that they were going to "shake somebody down." Said the front offices who got things done kept up with what was going on, had a realistic idea of the players' value, approached other front offices on a timely and businesslike basis, and negotiated accordingly. Whereas, the Mavs were always trying to cut sharp deals to get $1.50 value for $1.00, and usually walked away empty-handed. 

I would believe it. 

Maybe the front office shake-up will get them operating in a more professional manner and actually making some good trades.

Wow. Not surprising. Really grateful for the changes. I loved Donnie, but man he sure seems to have been mostly incompetent now that the light is getting shined on everything.
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 11:44 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Wow. Not surprising. Really grateful for the changes. I loved Donnie, but man he sure seems to have been mostly incompetent now that the light is getting shined on everything.

Of course if it was Cuban encouraging Donnie to get discount deals, then has anything really changed?
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 11:47 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Of course if it was Cuban encouraging Donnie to get discount deals, then has anything really changed?

The evidence doesn't point to Cuban micromanaging and being involved like that and on that level. In fact, I think the evidence points to Cuban being TOO LITTLE involved and not offering enough oversight and accountability in recent years. 

Sure, Cuban has and will always give the final "go ahead" on all deals (AS IT SHOULD BE), but how the organization functions before that is the most important part. And hopefully that has massively changed for the better.
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 11:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The evidence doesn't point to Cuban micromanaging and being involved like that and on that level. In fact, I think the evidence points to Cuban being TOO LITTLE involved and not offering enough oversight and accountability in recent years. 

Wow, the forum has a grand canyon sized disparity of beliefs on this topic
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 12:00 PM)fifteenth Wrote: Wow, the forum has a grand canyon sized disparity of beliefs on this topic

It does, which is strange IMO because I think we have enough evidence to know generally speaking what the issues have been. 

Unless I am forgetting something I don't think we have any real evidence that points to Cuban as a hovering, micromanager within the Mavs organization in recent years. I think we have a plethora of evidence pointing to him being immersed in OTHER projects and the Mavs organization being in a management and oversight disarray (pre-Cynthia on a total organizational level and still on basketball level after her). Please share if you know of something I am forgetting or don't know about.
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 12:08 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It does, which is strange IMO because I think we have enough evidence to know generally speaking what the issues have been. 

Unless I am forgetting something I don't think we have any real evidence that points to Cuban as a hovering, micromanager within the Mavs organization in recent years. I think we have a plethora of evidence pointing to him being immersed in OTHER projects and the Mavs organization being in a management and oversight disarray (pre-Cynthia on a total organizational level and still on basketball level after her). Please share if you know of something I am forgetting or don't know about.

I think hard evidence is hard to come by in either direction. 

I think my belief that Mark has been running the show dates back to when he charted Course Plan Powder. I think of his statements that Nellie was kind of a mentor. I was probably influenced by Fish's characterization of the Triangle of Trust, and I imagined Cuban at the apex of the triangle. My view (which comes from Cuban quotes) of the business office fiasco was that Cuban ignored the business office because he was so busy with the basektball team. Lastly, I never got the idea that Cuban relinquished the role that he assumed at the headwaters of Plan Powder.

There you have it. The evidence is pretty soft either way, I think, but that's where my thoughts have come from.

.....Oh!!!....

And it always seemed to me that the reactionary changes in direction for the Mavs always mirrored Cuban's statements in interviews each season.
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 11:56 AM)Kammrath Wrote: The evidence doesn't point to Cuban micromanaging and being involved like that and on that level. In fact, I think the evidence points to Cuban being TOO LITTLE involved and not offering enough oversight and accountability in recent years. 

Sure, Cuban has and will always give the final "go ahead" on all deals (AS IT SHOULD BE), but how the organization functions before that is the most important part. And hopefully that has massively changed for the better.

With little info outside this forum, I have a different take. But I can't point to specific comments or evidence to support my position. It just seems like, while Cuban was hands-off on most administrative issues, he was involved in all player personnel decisions and the "get it cheap" hat seems to fit. Going all the way back to when Nash signed with PHX because Cuban was going to low-ball him. Let the post-championship team walk because he thought dry powder was better than tradeable contracts. TBH, Dirk's loyalty allowed Cuban to get away with underpaying for years and I haven't seen anything to change my mind that there is a different MO. 

Granted, they have paid KP and Luka, but because they were both out the door if not maxxed on schedule.
Like Reply
(12-01-2021, 12:23 PM)michaeltex Wrote: With little info outside this forum, I have a different take. But I can't point to specific comments or evidence to support my position. It just seems like, while Cuban was hands-off on most administrative issues, he was involved in all player personnel decisions and the "get it cheap" hat seems to fit. Going all the way back to when Nash signed with PHX because Cuban was going to low-ball him. Let the post-championship team walk because he thought dry powder was better than tradeable contracts. TBH, Dirk's loyalty allowed Cuban to get away with underpaying for years and I haven't seen anything to change my mind that there is a different MO. 
Cuban no longer has any influence over the front office.* 

But is it possible that he hired a couple guys who share his general attitudes?

*how am I doing here, fif?
Like Reply